Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #151
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
By the way, I want to say again...my daughter LOVED her dress! She and her doll wore their Christmas dresses to church yesterday. Another girl had the exact same doll...but her dress was from the AG store. The girl (who is very, very spoiled) started screaming that she wanted a dress like that one... it got a little ugly for a minute or two. Mom was upset when she learned it was a 'custom' dress and she couldn't get one.... and that bit of info came from my daughter and not me.

Yes, we did have a discussion about how what Miss B said was not the nicest....but at the same time I saw my daughter beaming, knowing she had finally gotten one up on the spoiled child....so I guess I earned the bad mom award yesterday!

+++++++++++++
He 'almost' had me go ahead and book the second trip. I just couldn't come up with a good date! LOL!

Nini
I must be a bad person because I really enjoyed your story about the custom American Girl doll dress and the spoiled little girl. Any child that would get that upset because she couldn't have the same dress for her doll is a little stinker . Then again, I might cry too if I saw one of D~'s dresses and knew I couldn't have one.

You better find another date on your calendar so when your husband is dreaming of Disney again you can be ready to book the reservation.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #152
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Funny...I ALMOST had my husband convinced to go during Christmas next year...without even trying! Even funnier...I almost had him convinced to go right now! If Disney had had the info online we would have left Christmas Eve for a week! But I would have had to call...and by the time I got all my ducks in a row to call...he changed his mind! Holding out for next year!
OMG... Next time, you should be ready... You should just have random dates booked, just in case. That way, when DH says he's ready - you can say "good, so am I" ROFL.

Quote:
LOL! You helped!

Actually, on the 23rd, my DIL took the kids and we had a date night. Then on Christmas Even I picked up the kids for lunch and we ended up going looking at Christmas lights with Dad. Then he took us to eat...Chinese! He said that was our new tradition! We did end up having a small ham and a few of the fixings for Christmas dinner...and my son and his family came over...but for the first time EVER, my DIL did not help with anything or even offer to! It was kind of strange.
Soooo.... Where did you go on your date night??? You skipped right over that part - and I know you were really excited about it. Unless, of course, you can't tell us.

Quote:
Sewing is contagious and addicting! Welcome...but I don't know how interesting the PTR is going to be! All I seem to be doing lately is whining!
Your PTR is very interesting Nini... Whining builds character.

Quote:
Awww...thank you! If I were handy with the computer I would have made you something....

By the way, I want to say again...my daughter LOVED her dress! She and her doll wore their Christmas dresses to church yesterday. Another girl had the exact same doll...but her dress was from the AG store. The girl (who is very, very spoiled) started screaming that she wanted a dress like that one... it got a little ugly for a minute or two. Mom was upset when she learned it was a 'custom' dress and she couldn't get one.... and that bit of info came from my daughter and not me.

Yes, we did have a discussion about how what Miss B said was not the nicest....but at the same time I saw my daughter beaming, knowing she had finally gotten one up on the spoiled child....so I guess I earned the bad mom award yesterday!
ROFL... OK, I have to say that I read this while I was on my lunch break at work - and I ROFLed all the way through the rest of my shift. I had visions of two little girls fighting over one of my dresses at church. LOVE IT! You tell your dd, if she ever needs another custom AG dress to flaunt - just let me know... OK - sorry - maybe that's not the best idea when you are trying to teach manners and etiquette.... But who ever said that D~ had manners and etiquette??? Maybe you can just tell your DD that I loved the story and Merry Christmas??? LOL

Quote:
So, hubby is actually talking about Disney quite a bit lately...and has almost agreed to TWO trips next year. I admit, I 'cheated' by starting to price a 2 week vacation at AKL with the deluxe dining plan...then showed him how much we could save by 'x' 'y' and 'z'...so that by the time I showed him a trip of 10 days, at a moderate with a dining plan...he thought we were saving about $7,000....he was very happy!

He 'almost' had me go ahead and book the second trip. I just couldn't come up with a good date! LOL!

Nini
ROFL.... Yes, I like your "saving $$" plan... Yes, honey... Let's do a 2nd Disney vacation next year - really whoop it up and go deluxe on everything - but look at how much we 'save' if we only do a moderate resort and the plain ol' dining plan. ROFL Maybe I should try that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
I must be a bad person because I really enjoyed your story about the custom American Girl doll dress and the spoiled little girl. Any child that would get that upset because she couldn't have the same dress for her doll is a little stinker . Then again, I might cry too if I saw one of D~'s dresses and knew I couldn't have one.
I'll make you a dress any time - you just let me know. If it's any consolation - I enjoyed the story waaaaay more than any grown adult should have.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #153
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:

+++++++++++++

Nini
Too bad your daughter in law wasn't there to show her that handmade is sometimes better.

Yeah for getting your husband to even think about two trips in one year.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #154
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Nini, since you shared your bank story I'll share mine.

About five years ago I was doing some banking for my son at his credit union. It's located on a small plot of land (can't call it a base or a post, it's just a small fenced in area with a couple buildings) outside Saratoga. When I first went, I don't actually remember if there was a guard house, but if so, I just used my "concerned mother" face and got in.

The bank lady said it was going to get harder to get onto the property, so she sugested I open an account, which I did. I got a fancy card to flash at the guard house, which I did on a couple subsequent visits.

I went last month to close out my account and wasn't allowed on the property. I was even driving my husband's car (mine was still sleeping somewhere in Queens) and he has DOD stickers (expired, though) from when my son borrowed his car. They handed me two pieces of paper, one of which said access was only granted to active duty personnel, their dependents, retired personnel with proper ID, and government contractors. I made a u-turn, headed home, called the credit union and closed my account.

My son still has his banking with the credit union, so today he went there to cash a Christmas check. Needless to say, he wasn't allowed on either. The credt union is right on a main route, so I'm surprised they don't have a separate entrance -- sort of like Rain Forest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. I bet they hate losing business to people who can not longer go visit their money.

I understand why they have to do it, but as Shakespear wrote, 'whining builds character' so I wanted to share my story -- which seemed much more interesting before I actually wrote it out.

Quote:

How cool that you daughter and her doll got some attention.

Quote:

So, hubby is actually talking about Disney quite a bit lately...and has almost agreed to TWO trips next year. I admit, I 'cheated' by starting to price a 2 week vacation at AKL with the deluxe dining plan...then showed him how much we could save by 'x' 'y' and 'z'...so that by the time I showed him a trip of 10 days, at a moderate with a dining plan...he thought we were saving about $7,000....he was very happy!

Nini
Your husband's a keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

Whining builds character.

D~
Now some pieces are filtting into the puzzle. (I won't say whose puzzle.)

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #155
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You better find another date on your calendar so when your husband is dreaming of Disney again you can be ready to book the reservation.
This particular little girl is a real piece of work! LOL! Her mother was more upset than she was! Of course, my daughter used the word custom and not home made, so it made it worse!

Quote:
OMG... Next time, you should be ready... You should just have random dates booked, just in case. That way, when DH says he's ready - you can say "good, so am I" ROFL.

Soooo.... Where did you go on your date night??? You skipped right over that part - and I know you were really excited about it. Unless, of course, you can't tell us.

Your PTR is very interesting Nini... Whining builds character.

ROFL... OK, I have to say that I read this while I was on my lunch break at work - and I ROFLed all the way through the rest of my shift. I had visions of two little girls fighting over one of my dresses at church. LOVE IT! You tell your dd, if she ever needs another custom AG dress to flaunt - just let me know... OK - sorry - maybe that's not the best idea when you are trying to teach manners and etiquette.... But who ever said that D~ had manners and etiquette??? Maybe you can just tell your DD that I loved the story and Merry Christmas??? LOL

ROFL.... Yes, I like your "saving $$" plan... Yes, honey... Let's do a 2nd Disney vacation next year - really whoop it up and go deluxe on everything - but look at how much we 'save' if we only do a moderate resort and the plain ol' dining plan. ROFL Maybe I should try that???

I'll make you a dress any time - you just let me know. If it's any consolation - I enjoyed the story waaaaay more than any grown adult should have.

D~
Glad I could put a smile in your day!

We had a pretty subdued date night. DIL was supposed to pick up the kids at lunch, but she didn't show up until 5... she had some shopping she decided she needed to get done. After the kids were picked up and settled (it was Mr D's first time staying there, and he wasn't feeling well), we drove around for an hour trying to decide where we were going to go.

We didn't have any real plans, so it was one of those "What do you want to do"; "I don't care, what do you want to do?" type of evenings. We ended up at Steak N Shake (I know, can you contain the excitement?) It was the first time we had been there without kids! (THAT was the exciting part!) I had been dreaming of having one of their seasonal milkshakes....and with Mr D around it is not an option. So I had one of the Peppermint Chocolate chip thingys...the anticipation was far better than the actual milkshake.

Afterwards, we headed over to Sam's Club...and ran into one of my therapy mom friends! (I helped her plan their first Disney trip last spring with their two autistic sons ages 16 and 18!) They had snagged a babysitter and were doing some last minute shopping. It was nice to see them and we had a nice but very short visit.

Afterward, we drove around for about an hour, and decided to go home... cause I didn't feel like a movie, and we couldn't think of anything else to do! We are such an exciting couple! I know most people would never be able to keep up with us and our exciting date nights!

Anyway, I was able to get all the presents wrapped and ready for the next night, so it was very fruitful!

(now, the rest of the night I will leave to your imagination...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Too bad your daughter in law wasn't there to show her that handmade is sometimes better.

Yeah for getting your husband to even think about two trips in one year.
I really want to go for our anniversary. We are coming up on our 35th anniversary. I really wanted a cruise and a vow renewal. However, the money is prohibitive! I was informed by my grown kids that I would have to pay for their cruise as well!!!

Funny, hubby was all for the cruise, and was ok for going for our anniversary, just the fact that we would be back at Disney just 4 weeks later did not sit well with him!

I would love to talk him into a trip at the beginning of Feb...there is a big Disbou meet and would love to go....still working on that, but not holding my breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
Nini, since you shared your bank story I'll share mine.

About five years ago I was doing some banking for my son at his credit union. It's located on a small plot of land (can't call it a base or a post, it's just a small fenced in area with a couple buildings) outside Saratoga. When I first went, I don't actually remember if there was a guard house, but if so, I just used my "concerned mother" face and got in.

The bank lady said it was going to get harder to get onto the property, so she sugested I open an account, which I did. I got a fancy card to flash at the guard house, which I did on a couple subsequent visits.

I went last month to close out my account and wasn't allowed on the property. I was even driving my husband's car (mine was still sleeping somewhere in Queens) and he has DOD stickers (expired, though) from when my son borrowed his car. They handed me two pieces of paper, one of which said access was only granted to active duty personnel, their dependents, retired personnel with proper ID, and government contractors. I made a u-turn, headed home, called the credit union and closed my account.

My son still has his banking with the credit union, so today he went there to cash a Christmas check. Needless to say, he wasn't allowed on either. The credt union is right on a main route, so I'm surprised they don't have a separate entrance -- sort of like Rain Forest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. I bet they hate losing business to people who can not longer go visit their money.

I understand why they have to do it, but as Shakespear wrote, 'whining builds character' so I wanted to share my story -- which seemed much more interesting before I actually wrote it out.

How cool that you daughter and her doll got some attention.

Your husband's a keeper!

Now some pieces are filtting into the puzzle. (I won't say whose puzzle.)
I can so relate to your banking story! Military for 20 years, and we still have problems getting back on post some times! We seem to ALWAYS be picked as the ones to search! They used to give us a lot of grief about the kids. I never carried ID for them. Now that they have their own ID card, it is not so bad. Oddly, those times that we have carried my daughter and her husband, they have NEVER searched us!

I really hate that they have closed three of the closest bases to us. We retired here for the close facilities. Now we have to go to wither Columbus or Augusta. They are both a little over 2 hours from us. Of course, if they cut back on very many more of our benefits we are going to have to start paying THEM for the benefit of giving them 20 years service!

So Shakespeare is the one that said that about Whining! I knew I had heard it before, just wasn't sure where! LOL!

+++++++++++++++++++++

The great Christmas Un Decorate Event is underway...the mantle is cleared and the ornaments are off the tree. It will probably take me two days to get the lights off the tree...and then to put away all the dishes and 'stuff' and put the house back to normal! YUCK. This is my least favorite part of the holidays!

Yesterday was a day spent in research. Marketing research and Disney research. So far I have been letting the business just flow along, not really working at it and not really caring. I have now decided i want to actually make money! D~ is my inspiration! I am spending a lot of time and effort working on my business plan, but I really hate marketing! It is so hard to find good marketing ideas for my type of business, but I am chugging along!

As for the Disney research, I am making a master plan on shirts and/or customs for the trip. Since we still don't know which date we are going, I will either be making Halloween or Christmas themed clothes...but in order to get them all done in time, I have to make 8 shirts a month...my plan is to do the shirts that are more generic first and then do the holiday specific ones later... it seems that I am having no problems finding holiday specific ideas, just the generic ideas!

At least I have managed to decide which two shirts I am working on for January. I will be working on shirts for one day at HS and one day at AK I can't wait to get started!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #156
DMGeurts

Quote:
This particular little girl is a real piece of work! LOL! Her mother was more upset than she was! Of course, my daughter used the word custom and not home made, so it made it worse!

Glad I could put a smile in your day!
You did... Thanks.

Quote:
We had a pretty subdued date night. DIL was supposed to pick up the kids at lunch, but she didn't show up until 5... she had some shopping she decided she needed to get done. After the kids were picked up and settled (it was Mr D's first time staying there, and he wasn't feeling well), we drove around for an hour trying to decide where we were going to go.

We didn't have any real plans, so it was one of those "What do you want to do"; "I don't care, what do you want to do?" type of evenings. We ended up at Steak N Shake (I know, can you contain the excitement?) It was the first time we had been there without kids! (THAT was the exciting part!) I had been dreaming of having one of their seasonal milkshakes....and with Mr D around it is not an option. So I had one of the Peppermint Chocolate chip thingys...the anticipation was far better than the actual milkshake.

Afterwards, we headed over to Sam's Club...and ran into one of my therapy mom friends! (I helped her plan their first Disney trip last spring with their two autistic sons ages 16 and 18!) They had snagged a babysitter and were doing some last minute shopping. It was nice to see them and we had a nice but very short visit.

Afterward, we drove around for about an hour, and decided to go home... cause I didn't feel like a movie, and we couldn't think of anything else to do! We are such an exciting couple! I know most people would never be able to keep up with us and our exciting date nights!

Anyway, I was able to get all the presents wrapped and ready for the next night, so it was very fruitful!

(now, the rest of the night I will leave to your imagination...
Believe it or not, this sounds a lot like most of our date nights, as well. Usually, I am happiest if it's quiet. At least you got to spend some time together with out the kids.

Quote:
I really want to go for our anniversary. We are coming up on our 35th anniversary. I really wanted a cruise and a vow renewal. However, the money is prohibitive! I was informed by my grown kids that I would have to pay for their cruise as well!!!

Funny, hubby was all for the cruise, and was ok for going for our anniversary, just the fact that we would be back at Disney just 4 weeks later did not sit well with him!

I would love to talk him into a trip at the beginning of Feb...there is a big Disbou meet and would love to go....still working on that, but not holding my breath!
This would be awesome if you could go in Feb... I"ve seen talk around about the Disbout meet, but I KNOW that I can't make it for that one.

Quote:
I can so relate to your banking story! Military for 20 years, and we still have problems getting back on post some times! We seem to ALWAYS be picked as the ones to search! They used to give us a lot of grief about the kids. I never carried ID for them. Now that they have their own ID card, it is not so bad. Oddly, those times that we have carried my daughter and her husband, they have NEVER searched us!

I really hate that they have closed three of the closest bases to us. We retired here for the close facilities. Now we have to go to wither Columbus or Augusta. They are both a little over 2 hours from us. Of course, if they cut back on very many more of our benefits we are going to have to start paying THEM for the benefit of giving them 20 years service!
Great.... I am really looking forward to those benefits... <--- Sarcasm.

Quote:
The great Christmas Un Decorate Event is underway...the mantle is cleared and the ornaments are off the tree. It will probably take me two days to get the lights off the tree...and then to put away all the dishes and 'stuff' and put the house back to normal! YUCK. This is my least favorite part of the holidays!
I haven't even thought about doing ours yet... Usually, our tree stays up until New Year's weekend.

Quote:
Yesterday was a day spent in research. Marketing research and Disney research. So far I have been letting the business just flow along, not really working at it and not really caring. I have now decided i want to actually make money! D~ is my inspiration! I am spending a lot of time and effort working on my business plan, but I really hate marketing! It is so hard to find good marketing ideas for my type of business, but I am chugging along!
Please don't use me as inspiration... I don't do anything. I just hang out, make my bags/outfits, and post pictures.

Quote:
As for the Disney research, I am making a master plan on shirts and/or customs for the trip. Since we still don't know which date we are going, I will either be making Halloween or Christmas themed clothes...but in order to get them all done in time, I have to make 8 shirts a month...my plan is to do the shirts that are more generic first and then do the holiday specific ones later... it seems that I am having no problems finding holiday specific ideas, just the generic ideas!
What I really want to do, is to use my trip as a write off... I don't think that will work either... Advertisement write off???

Quote:
At least I have managed to decide which two shirts I am working on for January. I will be working on shirts for one day at HS and one day at AK I can't wait to get started!
Yay!!! I can't wait to see... Make sure you do big enough sizes for the kiddos though - in case they grow (they always do....)

D~
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #157
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You did... Thanks.

Believe it or not, this sounds a lot like most of our date nights, as well. Usually, I am happiest if it's quiet. At least you got to spend some time together with out the kids.

This would be awesome if you could go in Feb... I"ve seen talk around about the Disbout meet, but I KNOW that I can't make it for that one.

Great.... I am really looking forward to those benefits... <--- Sarcasm.

I haven't even thought about doing ours yet... Usually, our tree stays up until New Year's weekend.

Please don't use me as inspiration... I don't do anything. I just hang out, make my bags/outfits, and post pictures.

What I really want to do, is to use my trip as a write off... I don't think that will work either... Advertisement write off???

Yay!!! I can't wait to see... Make sure you do big enough sizes for the kiddos though - in case they grow (they always do....)

D~
I have sort of figured out how I can write off a short trip ...I will be looking at (researching) customs at Disney. And a meet up of my sewing buddies would fall right into that...right?

OK...planning brain freeze here.

I am working on a plan for shirts for the trip. We usually do two shirts a day. One for the park, and one for dinner. There are 4 of us, so unless I want to be doing nothing but making shirts for the last few weeks before we go, I need to make two shirts a piece per month for the next 8 months.

(Of course, no knowing if we are going in Sept or Nov makes a bit of a problem in the plan.)

I am not able to come up with any ideas that we haven't already done! I think the only one shirt I am sure about is the shirt for MNSSHP (if we go). Heather Sue has some cute Hitch hiking Ghosts, so we would each wear a different ghost on our shirts.

On one of our Epcot days, we would wear the Epcot ball, and for one of our Animal Kingdom days we would wear the Tree of Life. The rest are still up in the air. I have to get these pretty well set in stone so I can order the shirts to get started next week.

So, if anyone has any ideas...let me know! I know hubby wouldn't mind using a design a second time, but I really hate to reuse a design when no one but Mr D will wear the shirt after we get home!

Nini

Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #158
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We just booked an Alaska cruise for our 30th this coming June. You're so right about crui$e$. (You posted your age once upon a time, so I can confess that I'm a year older than you.)

Quote:

My father in law had 27 years with the army, and they planned their retirement locations around posts. When we first got married they lived near For Huachuca (sp???) in Arizona. It was nice to visit there, but they soon moved to Florida. Then New Jersery. Then Pennsylvania.

Quote:

I've been doing some rearranging in my sewing quadrant and I've realized just how much fabric I have. Based on how much time it takes to make anything, I just don't see me ever going into the etsy business, but I have to either start sewing or stop buying.

Quote:

Nini
Yipes! That a whole lot of sewing. You're lucky you don't have to pay airline extra baggage fees.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #159
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
We just booked an Alaska cruise for our 30th this coming June. You're so right about crui$e$. (You posted your age once upon a time, so I can confess that I'm a year older than you.)

My father in law had 27 years with the army, and they planned their retirement locations around posts. When we first got married they lived near For Huachuca (sp???) in Arizona. It was nice to visit there, but they soon moved to Florida. Then New Jersery. Then Pennsylvania.

I've been doing some rearranging in my sewing quadrant and I've realized just how much fabric I have. Based on how much time it takes to make anything, I just don't see me ever going into the etsy business, but I have to either start sewing or stop buying.

Yipes! That a whole lot of sewing. You're lucky you don't have to pay airline extra baggage fees.
If we had to fly...we would NEVER get to Disney! In fact, my SIL wants us to all go on an Alaskan cruise together. My husband told him if he would pay for the gas for us to drive there we might consider it!

+++++++++++++

I am sort of excited. I actually came up with a marketing idea that 'might' work. (well I didn't actually think it up, I got the idea from someone else, but I 'think' it might work.) It is only a minimal outlay of cash up front, so I will have to get to work to get it all ready. If it works out, I'll be sure and share!

In the past gazillion trips, hubby has made fun of all the planning that went into the trip. Our last trip he saw what happens when there is no planning (my son and his family and my daughter and her husband...they just kind of went with the flow and complained about how croded it was...in September!)

This year, he has made a point of asking me at least every other day if there is anything new on the planning! I am so shocked! At first I was telling him I was at a stand still in most of the planning, and he seems to be a bit upset about that. So I have started having a bit of information to tell him when he asks....(pretending that it is new information!) I was the one surprised this time!

He has complained the last two trips because we left the house at 3 am, arrived at Disney before lunch and ended up going to a park right away. Our last trips we have arrived in the afternoon and took a day to rest up before we hit the parks.

He informed me that he feels we are wasting a day if we don't go to the parks on our first day! News to me! So, with that bit of info, I may be re-working our plans a bit. That is once we decide which date we are going! LOL!

My first order from Jiffy Shirts should be in this afternoon, so I am excited tyo get my first round of shirts started and finished. It really makes it seem real when I start sewing!

And, Miss B, who has been anti customs for the past two trips...has planned her own customs for this trip. They are full on customs, but they are semi customs. We will be making some Simply Sweets and Stripworks in a tunic length! I can't wait!

Nini

Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #160
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am sort of excited. I actually came up with a marketing idea that 'might' work. (well I didn't actually think it up, I got the idea from someone else, but I 'think' it might work.) It is only a minimal outlay of cash up front, so I will have to get to work to get it all ready. If it works out, I'll be sure and share!

In the past gazillion trips, hubby has made fun of all the planning that went into the trip. Our last trip he saw what happens when there is no planning (my son and his family and my daughter and her husband...they just kind of went with the flow and complained about how croded it was...in September!)

This year, he has made a point of asking me at least every other day if there is anything new on the planning! I am so shocked! At first I was telling him I was at a stand still in most of the planning, and he seems to be a bit upset about that. So I have started having a bit of information to tell him when he asks....(pretending that it is new information!) I was the one surprised this time!

He has complained the last two trips because we left the house at 3 am, arrived at Disney before lunch and ended up going to a park right away. Our last trips we have arrived in the afternoon and took a day to rest up before we hit the parks.

He informed me that he feels we are wasting a day if we don't go to the parks on our first day! News to me! So, with that bit of info, I may be re-working our plans a bit. That is once we decide which date we are going! LOL!

My first order from Jiffy Shirts should be in this afternoon, so I am excited tyo get my first round of shirts started and finished. It really makes it seem real when I start sewing!

And, Miss B, who has been anti customs for the past two trips...has planned her own customs for this trip. They are full on customs, but they are semi customs. We will be making some Simply Sweets and Stripworks in a tunic length! I can't wait!

Nini
I'm impressed that your family has seen the light and figured out that all the planning is a good thing. I hope you and Miss B have fun planning and sewing for your trip. It gives me a warm feeling to hear that your DD is back to loving the customs.

I can't wait to see what you make for your trip. On our trip I did shirts for the 6 of us and it ended up being that the girls wore blue shirts and the boys had red shirts. My DD had a red/white/silver twirl skirt with Heather's big Mickey Head that had a peace sign for the circle part. My DS had Heather's design with the three circles for the Mickey head - we used the fabric from my DD's skirt. I used Heather's big Mickey shiloutte and did the embroidery on a polo shirt for my DH. I did Heather's American Flag Mickey head on my dad's shirt. My son was excited to be the blue team and the red team. My Dad still wears his shirt at least once a week!

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #161
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm impressed that your family has seen the light and figured out that all the planning is a good thing. I hope you and Miss B have fun planning and sewing for your trip. It gives me a warm feeling to hear that your DD is back to loving the customs.

I can't wait to see what you make for your trip. On our trip I did shirts for the 6 of us and it ended up being that the girls wore blue shirts and the boys had red shirts. My DD had a red/white/silver twirl skirt with Heather's big Mickey Head that had a peace sign for the circle part. My DS had Heather's design with the three circles for the Mickey head - we used the fabric from my DD's skirt. I used Heather's big Mickey shiloutte and did the embroidery on a polo shirt for my DH. I did Heather's American Flag Mickey head on my dad's shirt. My son was excited to be the blue team and the red team. My Dad still wears his shirt at least once a week!
Thanks...

I actually made my first shirt.... but now I think it is missing something! So, until I can decide what it needs I can't talk about it or show pictures...but I can tell you it is for one of our Animal Kingdom days.

Miss B wants me to make a dress each t shirt for her AG doll, Skyler! Excuse me... I see that being a lot more trouble than I think I want to do...so I suggested we limit it to one a day. Before anyone thinks I am mean...let me tell you that in 2008 I made matching dresses for both girls (my DD who was 8 and my GD who was 2) AND their Cabbage Patch Dolls for each event! That worked out to at least 2 dresses A PIECE per day! And the dolls got dressed each morning, had their picture taken and then stayed in the room. Not wanting to repeat this again....the only time the dolls ever left the room I ended up having to carry them!

So, Skyler will get one dress and/or outfit per day of the trip.

My daughter also asked for a bag to carry in the park...I politely told her she had to use the one I made her last year. It only made it to one day in the park, and I really don't want to spend the time making another park bag she isn't going to use ... so I have to make sure she doesn't see Miss D's PTR... she has gone bag crazy and it will only bring up bad feelings of how D~ loves her daughters more than I love mine! LOL!

But speaking of bags, I do want to say that the clear plastic zippered type bag (sold at most grocery stores as a sandwich bag!) is by far my favorite accessory at Disney!

Mr D takes numerous meds through out the day. I put all his meds in a plastic bag. (I get an extra empty bottle of each med and only carry enough for that day in the park. The rest stay safe at the room in the safe!) I put my meds in the same type of bag (along with my tummy meds...because if I don't take it I will need it, but if I take it I never need it!) and put a few first aid type items in another bag. All three of those bags are put into a larger plastic bag and labeled.

I then use one of those high priced plastic bags and put my phone and camera in there. I have another for my credit card and any cash I might carry. Nothing is packed in my bag unless it is in a plastic bag. Then all those plastic bags are placed in my carry around the world bag.

Everything is safe and dry, AND it makes going through the baggage check a breeze! I can grab all those bags at once, take them out and it can clearly be seen that I have way too much meds, but no contraband!

Last year I used a borrowed fanny pack. It was way too big to actually carry, but it did give me the realization that I could get away with a much smaller bag than I thought. I now have a waterproof (leather) small fanny pack that will hold all the necessities and is very light weight and easy to carry. Small enough that I can't carry stuff for other people, but large enough to carry all the things I really need!

I really want to be at Disney right now (well, maybe not RIGHT now, considering that Magic Kingdom was closed to new visitors by 11 am!) but I really wish my trip was closer. I tried to find a way I could make the Disboutiquer meet at the end of January...but even though the price was right, I just don't have the money to spend right now...so hard to be an adult!

So...all this long winded ramblings meant that I made one shirt so far for Disney; I love plastic bags a bit too much; I make way too much STUFF for our trips to Disney and I really want my trip to hurry!

Nini

Old 12-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #162
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Miss B wants me to make a dress each t shirt for her AG doll, Skyler! Excuse me... I see that being a lot more trouble than I think I want to do...so I suggested we limit it to one a day. Before anyone thinks I am mean...let me tell you that in 2008 I made matching dresses for both girls (my DD who was 8 and my GD who was 2) AND their Cabbage Patch Dolls for each event! That worked out to at least 2 dresses A PIECE per day! And the dolls got dressed each morning, had their picture taken and then stayed in the room. Not wanting to repeat this again....the only time the dolls ever left the room I ended up having to carry them!

So, Skyler will get one dress and/or outfit per day of the trip.
WOW! Sewing is so time intensive. Everytime I think I might like to do the etsy thing I look at the prices and quickly decide I'd be making 50Ę a hour -- on a good day. It's got to be a labor of love for you DD and DGD.

Quote:

But speaking of bags, I do want to say that the clear plastic zippered type bag (sold at most grocery stores as a sandwich bag!) is by far my favorite accessory at Disney!

Mr D takes numerous meds through out the day. I put all his meds in a plastic bag. (I get an extra empty bottle of each med and only carry enough for that day in the park. The rest stay safe at the room in the safe!) I put my meds in the same type of bag (along with my tummy meds...because if I don't take it I will need it, but if I take it I never need it!) and put a few first aid type items in another bag. All three of those bags are put into a larger plastic bag and labeled.

I then use one of those high priced plastic bags and put my phone and camera in there. I have another for my credit card and any cash I might carry. Nothing is packed in my bag unless it is in a plastic bag. Then all those plastic bags are placed in my carry around the world bag.

Everything is safe and dry, AND it makes going through the baggage check a breeze! I can grab all those bags at once, take them out and it can clearly be seen that I have way too much meds, but no contraband!

Last year I used a borrowed fanny pack. It was way too big to actually carry, but it did give me the realization that I could get away with a much smaller bag than I thought. I now have a waterproof (leather) small fanny pack that will hold all the necessities and is very light weight and easy to carry. Small enough that I can't carry stuff for other people, but large enough to carry all the things I really need!
I was starting to think I was the only one who traveled light. I have a "special" vacation wallet that is small and fits in my front pocket. (At least 100 times a day I'm slapping my pocket to make sure it's there.) A couple years ago I graduated from a belly bag to a light weight cinch sack that I can wear on my back. It holds a sweatshirt and poncho and a few other odd things. I like it because most of the time I don't know it's there, and I can leave it on while I'm on a ride.

Quote:

I really want to be at Disney right now
Me, too. We don't have snow, but we have cold, and I was tired of it in November.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #163
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:

Nini
We use the plastic gallon size zipper bags too. But this summer we even filled one with ice and facecloths to cool us down when it got so hot

We don't travel light You should see how much stuff we take into the parks that I am dreading the day we won't have a stroller anymore
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #164
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
We use the plastic gallon size zipper bags too. But this summer we even filled one with ice and facecloths to cool us down when it got so hot

We don't travel light You should see how much stuff we take into the parks that I am dreading the day we won't have a stroller anymore

WE don't travel light; I travel light! Having neck fusion surgery a year ago has made me have to travel light. We still have a special needs stroller for Mr D....so it is full of stuff! But it is also in those wonderful oh so chic plastic bags!

I also carry wash cloths into the parks...although this past year we used those chilly pads. They work pretty good, but are not as good as an air conditioner!

Nini

Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #165
DMGeurts

Believe it or not... I use a lot of the zip-loc bags too... They really do come in handy. I always carry a couple of empty ones, I don't normally put my phone into any unless I am going on a wet ride though.

D~

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: