Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #136
solana131
DIS Veteran

Okay, one thing I have been wondering....
I don't remember Spaceship Earth from when I was little. I remember the big ball and all, but didn't realize there was a ride in there until I joined the DIS. It looks fun and I want to try it, but my question is...is it good for a 5 year old? It looks kinda boring?? Should hubby and I do it the night we have off (parents watching little one so we can do WS and Illuminations)??

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #137
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
I don't remember Spaceship Earth from when I was little. I remember the big ball and all, but didn't realize there was a ride in there until I joined the DIS. It looks fun and I want to try it, but my question is...is it good for a 5 year old? It looks kinda boring?? Should hubby and I do it the night we have off (parents watching little one so we can do WS and Illuminations)??
My boys are 7 and it's one of their favorite rides and has been for years !

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #138
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
My boys are 7 and it's one of their favorite rides and has been for years !
Good to know...thanks

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #139
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
It's one of the few "original" rides at WS - slow moving and dark, but unless I 5-year old was very scared of the dark, I think there is enough stuff to see to keep them interested. Make sure your child sits up straight for the picture they take at the beginning. They scan everyone's face and at the end you use the touch screens to make a video using your faces, every child gets a kick out of that. (You can also e-mail the video to your home in the exit area.) There are some neat interactive games that at 5 our DD was already playing, though not very sucessfully.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
Old 12-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #140
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
I see the BLUE cat you got from Mexico!! IT'S NOT PURPLE?!? I can't WAIT!!!!
Nope - still not PURPLE CAT! Just gotta wait until day 5!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #141
FosterA
DIS Veteran

Nice updates!!
First of all, I LOVE coconut and I want some of that school bread!

Also, I completely understand that hitting the wall feeling and just wanting to sit down. I imagine all the snacking really slows you down too.

I love the pic of DD chilling with the sunglasses on

Great photos! I love Epcot
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #142
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
Nice updates!!
First of all, I LOVE coconut and I want some of that school bread!

Also, I completely understand that hitting the wall feeling and just wanting to sit down. I imagine all the snacking really slows you down too.

I love the pic of DD chilling with the sunglasses on

Great photos! I love Epcot
Oh...if you don't mind the coconut, then you HAVE to try it next time you go...hope you are already making a list for your return.

I think it might have been the drinking rather than the snacking. I wasn't stuffed full or anything, the portions are pretty small.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #143
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the links Pete! I'm all caught up now.

Your first three days were packed full! I'll have to take another look at the Sanaa menu - the restaurant looks beautiful.

This was our first completely stroller free trip too. We'd been mostly stroller free last spring but had grabbed a stroller for a couple days at the end of the trip. I think it's the heat that bothers DS8 the most. We'll see how he does in April because he's definitely too big for a stroller now. DS11 likes to have a stroller to sit in when we are waiting for parades & fireworks. We didn't do too much of that in November but he didn't have any complaints.

Was Day 3 the last day of F&W? It didn't seem too busy. It was very crowded when we were there.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #144
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Was Day 3 the last day of F&W? It didn't seem too busy. It was very crowded when we were there.
Yes, it was the last day. I was surprised how not crowded it was. We went last year to Epcot on a Sunday for F&W in October, and it was much worse than this day was. I would still in the future try to catch F&W mid-week, but Sunday is not a bad alternative.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #145
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Is it really an "off day"?

Well, one thing that certainly made it feel like a down day, there was no pressing need to get up in the morning. Now the big thing we wanted to do was to hit DTD during the day. Our only real obligation was at night – we had dinner at the Garden Grill, and then the big “surprise!” (which has been already revealed elsewhere).

There was no real hurry to get up this morning, but since everyone in the family is early risers and with all the people moving around, everyone was awake before 7:30 AM. We didn’t rush to get out of the room or anything, though – but we did want to go to DTD in the morning rather than later in the day. We left the hotel about 9:15 AM and were headed for the bus. The buses to DTD always seem brutal, partly because of the stop at Typhoon Lagoon. It was about 10 AM by the time we got down there.

At this point we more or less split up, with DM and DW going directly to the WoD store, while DD wanted to ride the carousel. (No, she doesn’t want to ride the MK Carousel, just this little one that cost $2 a ride.) We stopped in Once upon a Toy and she also played in the squirty fountains.

After the walk-through, we headed over to WoD where we met with DW. Thanks to our Disney Visa, we can get 10 % off here – so we do most of our shopping here. We also did a bit of shopping for DW and DD (I didn’t really buy anything for myself) including a picture frame and a snow globe. I always by DD a snow globe for every Disney trip we’ve been on…this would be the 7th. We picked out a Alice in Wonderland Tea Cup Spinner Snow globe, which we thought was very cool, the whole globe is on a swivel base, and you can “spin” the globe, instead of shaking it. (I’ll add a picture later.)

We “spent” about an hour in there. (I amused myself with the double-meaning phrase “We SPENT the day at DTD” for much of the afternoon.) DW and DM stayed behind while DD and I went on to the Lego store. She really likes Legos, as do I, and I was really looking forward to the mix-and-match lego bins. First she played outside with the car-racing blocks, then we went inside and picked out some stuff.

Maleficent Dragon / Prince Phillip Lego sculpture:

Seven Dwarves:

DD Lego vehicle:

I had budgeted $100 for Legos. We spent $30 on the bins and got two big jars of Legos, which was really awesome. The engineer in me kicked in with the best way to fill the jars with the most possible legos. The only negative is you couldn’t buy wheels, which is what we really, really wanted. We then picked out a couple of the new “Creator” sets where you can make multiple things out of the same kit. I also let her make three “people” as well, though that was a big rip-off (3 people were like $10 and theres like 15 pieces versus the 100s of pieces we got for $15.)

Woody with DD:

And with Buzz:

DD liked the dogs:

We got out of there spending $117. Overall, I spent $367 at DTD in a few hours. Definitely “Spent” that day! It was around 1 PM and we wanted to have some time to swim before we got back. We ended up walking over to the Pleasure Island bus stop, since we were more or less in the middle, and I figured walking back would lead to only a longer bus ride. It was good timing, as we didn’t wait 5 minutes for the bus. (Turns out the only bad bus karma of the trip was from my mom, who left earlier than we did, but waited almost 45 minutes for a bus, and therefore only got back to the resort just before we did.)

Next up, a little time at our resort.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #146
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

I believe you are talking about the same snow globe that I bought a while back for my dd. She's a huge Alice fan.
We LOVE the Lego store ! We spend the most souvenir money there. We really liked the re-model .. those little tv boxes that show the product on the screen were really cool.

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #147
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Part 2 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Review)

We came back and got some lunch. DD got a hot dog, while I got the Caribbean burger. This had crispy onions, mango pineapple salsa, a plantains on it, and it was absolutely delicious. (Sorry, no pictures – how did I miss that.)

After we ate, we had enough time to head for the pool for a little while – maybe 2 hours – so we did. I brought the camera. The pool area is great, and they have games and stuff for the kids to do for most of the afternoon. I’m not sure if this is something they are newly instituting or not (I notice POFQ had it now as well) but DD sure liked it. She also liked the two pool slides. Here are some pictures:

The stairs up to the big (dark) slide.

The view from the parapet:

Coming out of the slide:

The bigger slide exit:

The smaller slide:

There was also a “splash” area designated for little kids. DD never actually tried to go there, but later in the trip we noticed you had to be under 48”, which she wasn’t anymore, and there wouldn’t have been able to go.

Now is as good a time as any to talk about this resort. As anyone following my TR knew, I was a bit skeptical about staying here. Realistically I was concerned about three things versus our preferred location at POFQ – the multiple bus stops, the size of the bed (full instead of queen), and size of the resort. The first two were not even remotely an issue, there was one time that the multiple bus-stops seemed to really slow us down, but otherwise it was not a problem at all. The size of the resort was completely canceled out by the fact that we were upgraded to “preferred” location. We were so close to the center of the resort it was ridiculous. Here are two shots I took standing in one spot, the first I faced one way and took a picture of our room. The second I faced the other way and took a picture of Port Royale.

It was probably about 60 seconds from our room to the food court, and maybe 2 minutes to the main pool. We were probably closer to the main pool than the quiet pool. However, after staying preferred, I would have to say this might be a case where I would pay for the same privilege in the future. We walked around the resort a bit on our last day, and there are quite a few room locations that would be very, very far from the main hotel, and even quite a few that would far from a bus stop.

To the positives, we really liked the Old Port Royale set-up. The food court was very good for lunch/dinner with quite a bit of selection. Breakfast at usual was wholly mediocre (our one main criticism). The pool was very nice, and the activities they staged at the pool were great and went on for a good portion of the day (from 1 PM into the evening with movies on the big screen). There was also some other activities such as boat/bike rentals that we didn’t take advantage of. The staff was absolutely wonderful, and we never had any problems at all.

We’ve now stayed at 4 Disney Resorts (AKL, POFQ, Pop Century and now CBR). I would in fact recommend all four to anyone, as we had great experiences at all of them. To rank them would even be difficult. Pop Century is obviously for a more modest budget, and while we had great stays there, I would certainly prefer the mods, but would not object to going back. AKL is of course an amazing experience, but there were a few negatives there and would only recommend that stay as an extravagance. Of the two mods, I still would say I prefer POFQ personally, but if I were coming again with young children (a likely prospect) I would probably pick CBR for having a better pool and more activities surrounding it.

A few last shots from that day:

Christmas decorations went up when we were there. They were somewhat sparse, but I thought appropriate…it’s not a resort that screams “Christmas!”

After spending some time at the pool, we had to get ready for our dinner.

Next up, an evening at Epcot.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #148
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

. Of the two mods, I still would say I prefer POFQ personally, but if I were coming again with young children (a likely prospect)
Next up, an evening at Epcot.
Congratulations?!?!?!?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #149
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
I believe you are talking about the same snow globe that I bought a while back for my dd. She's a huge Alice fan.
We LOVE the Lego store ! We spend the most souvenir money there. We really liked the re-model .. those little tv boxes that show the product on the screen were really cool.
Could well be, I will snap a pic from home eventually. I don't really remember the old store that well, we didn't really go inside it much. There were lots of neat stuff in the store. Again, the only negative was I couldn't buy some wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
Congratulations?!?!?!?
No,no, no new kids. I guess I still consider our DD to be "young" as in 12 and under. And there is no trip back in the works either - a vague plan for 2013 is all. This is really the first time in 6 years without a WDW trip to plan, I thought I would go through withdrawal, but so far not so much. I guess its all you nice folks listening to my stories.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #150
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

yes we are dueling TR comments!!!

We won't be returning until about 2013 FOR the new Fantasyland! i am thinking about the new animation building too... But i REALLY LIKE THE POLY.. Insert best whinny voice..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: