Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Not impressed here either. My membership card is in a landfill somewhere anyway.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #17
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

For me, the only thing that I could use since I dont live near either park is the Rocky Mountain Candy company. But Ive never bought more than $5 worth of stuff there.
Living in Canada we have extra shipping costs on top of the membership. It makes it wildly overpriced for having little or no benifits available to me. When I did join it was given to me as a christmas gift. D23 had such a hard time actually getting the membership to me , it took three tries and I ended up just going to Barnes and Noble to get the issues they never sent me.

For some reason you cant purchase the magaine in this country. Yet the old Disney magazine and Family Fun I can get. Lucklily I live 45 minutes from the US border and I can just go to Barnes and Noble and get the latest copy if I want it. Do I read them? I glance at them, but its stuff I already know or dont really care about or read it on the Disney parks blog already. They are pretty to look at. I miss the old Disney Magazine, I loved it, I would read it cover to cover, people knew at my house when I got it, leave her be shes got somereading to do.

Maybe they will finally get D23 right, if they did offer a discount to the disneystore, I might think about it. However it would still be more than the magi kingdom club ever was... Dont get me even started on that. They closed that to make way for the Disney Visa whch isnt available to international guests.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I really, REALLY miss the Magic Kingdom card! My Dad had one as long as I can remember, and I had one as soon as I qualified, until they got rid of it. An actual discount on tickets to the park! *THAT* was something I could use!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #19
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

I think I would see more of a value in D23 if they did more on the east coast. It's easier and cheaper for me to spend a long weekend in Orlando than California. D23...if you're listening....spend more time in Florida and I think you may pick up a few thousand more members.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Now I'm a gal who really does 'drink the Disney Kool Aid' and I'd happily grab anything related to the Mouse but the lack of content and horrendous cost to international members mean that even I can't see the benefit of being a D23 member...

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I think my biggest issue with D23 is that it isn't what I want. I don't want a fan club, I want a loyalty program and I think the main disconnect between the two D23 camps is just that. The people who like it want a fan club while many who don't like it, at least here where we are park-centric, want a loyalty program of some sort.

I don't belong to any fan clubs. Not for my favorite sports teams, athletes, or bands. I just don't see the value in it. I don't think they are bad, I don't even really think D23 is bad, none of them are what I want. D23 and a loyalty program aren't mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned. They can be packaged together but if a loyalty program replaced what D23 is now you still have the same lines in the sand, people would just switch sides.

The thing that really makes little sense is that anyone who is in a position of authority at Disney should know that most loyalty programs don't actually cost the company much. Customers tend to purchase the product or service of a company in higher quantities when they perceive a future reward for doing so. Lets say that as part of the loyalty program someone gets a free upgrade to concierge after they spend 10 nights at a deluxe resort (cumulative but with a minimum of 3-night increments). That might get someone to decide on staying at a deluxe instead of a moderate or stay twice for five nights instead of twice for four nights. Disney will make up the cost of that perk because so many guests will alter their vacation plans in Disney's favor to take advantage of them.

It is win-win. The guests who who are loyal get something from Disney and Disney gets more loyal guests who spend money. The management at Disney is very short-sighted but unfortunately that is rewarded in the market.

Last edited by FireDancer; 11-01-2011 at 06:38 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
Michele
You're never too old to sit in a little chair and enjoy a Mickey Mouse cartoon
I am a scrapbook dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I think my biggest issue with D23 is that it isn't what I want. I don't want a fan club, I want a loyalty program and I think the main disconnect between the two D23 camps is just that. The people who like it want a fan club while many who don't like it, at least here where we are park-centric, want a loyalty program of some sort.

I don't belong to any fan clubs. Not for my favorite sports teams, athletes, or bands. I just don't see the value in it. I don't think they are bad, I don't even really think D23 is bad, none of them are what I want. D23 and a loyalty program aren't mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned. They can be packaged together but if a loyalty program replaced what D23 is now you still have the same lines in the sand, people would just switch sides.

The thing that really makes little sense is that anyone who is in a position of authority at Disney should know that most loyalty programs don't actually cost the company much. Customers tend to purchase the product or service of a company in higher quantities when they perceive a future reward for doing so. Lets say that as part of the loyalty program someone gets a free upgrade to concierge after they spend 10 nights at a deluxe resort (cumulative but with a minimum of 3-night increments). That might get someone to decide on staying at a deluxe instead of a moderate or stay twice for five nights instead of twice for four nights. Disney will make up the cost of that perk because so many guests will alter their vacation plans in Disney's favor to take advantage of them.

It is win-win. The guests who who are loyal get something from Disney and Disney gets more loyal guests who spend money. The management at Disney is very short-sighted but unfortunately that is rewarded in the market.

I hope someone at Disney is reading this!!!! You are exactly right!!
May 2010 Off-site *~* Dec 2013-DISAPALOOZA! *~* May 2014 Yacht Club

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

I hadn't intended to post on this thread (and hoped it would die a quick death), but I think Frank hit on something. It seems as if some people are really just upset because D23 isn't what they "wanted" (or expected).

D23 isn't a loyalty program and was never meant to be one. As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.

I talked to Steven Clark, the head of D23 last year. Here's a link to the blog and the audio. (Sorry, shameless self-promotion, but he makes the point better than I could.)

Steven Clark Interview

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Steven Clark’s “day job” is overseeing the archives and corporate internal communications, but Disney CEO Bob Iger came to Clark’s group for ideas. Iger told him he was constantly being asked by fans and shareholders why the company didn’t have an official fan club. According to Clark:

“I don’t think anyone in the company had really thought about the fact that we didn’t have a fan club. The fan experience has always been enjoyed by segments of the Disney company. What I mean by that is Parks & Resorts has Disney Vacation Club and the Annual Passholder program, the Studio has Disney Movie Rewards, and Disney Consumer Products has Walt Disney Collectors Society, but there was no organization that allowed people…a chance to celebrate their love of all things related to Disney under one roof. And that’s what D23 offers.”

That said, Disney DOES need a loyalty program. I'd have like a gazillion points.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
carpedm
Armchair Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.
Wait, I thought Pete said that his opinion was the only right one?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding (sit back down NikkiBell).

Even though I don't live in FL or CA, I still think the D23 membership is worth it for me, even if just for the magazine. However, I completely understand those that feel that it is not worth it, and I respect that opinion.

I completely agree on the loyalty program though. Disney absolutely needs a real one.
carpedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedm View Post
Wait, I thought Pete said that his opinion was the only right one?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding (sit back down NikkiBell).
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
I hadn't intended to post on this thread (and hoped it would die a quick death), but I think Frank hit on something. It seems as if some people are really just upset because D23 isn't what they "wanted" (or expected).

D23 isn't a loyalty program and was never meant to be one. As a fan club, it has it's good and bad days...but I think that's what we need to judge it on.

I talked to Steven Clark, the head of D23 last year. Here's a link to the blog and the audio. (Sorry, shameless self-promotion, but he makes the point better than I could.)

Steven Clark Interview

Here's an excerpt:

That said, Disney DOES need a loyalty program. I'd have like a gazillion points.
I agree that a fan club and a loyalty program are two entirely different things and part of the animosity towards D23 is that is is NOT a loyalty program, but that is Disney's fault. They hyped D23 like crazy so that many people were expecting a loyalty club...finally. Then it turns out to be a fan club, which is fine to have, but it's very pricey and while the magazine is nice I guess, it's mostly pictures from what I've seen and an akward to size to read. The old Disney Magazine was much cheaper and WAY better IMHO. To me, even just basing my opinion stricltly on it's own merit as a fan club, D23 just falls short, especially considering it's Disney and the endless possibilities of what they could have done.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #27
LuJoy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMac71 View Post
I'm not impressed with the discounts. Living in Florida feels like you are the stepchild here.

A BlockBuster.com discount - didn't they just close a lot of stores around the country because they were losing money.

10% discount for the Richard Perry driving experience - that means you don't have to pay tax.

Brookstone.com - really?!

I agree with Kathy - I get more with my AAA discount.
AAA has been around, what, 80 years? 100 years? D23 is not even three. They're getting things RIGHT. Can you give them credit for actually LISTENING to what you say and trying to respond? I am sure they have heard ALL of what was said about the Expo. Your comments don't fall on deaf ears! It may feel that way, but they don't.

In the last year, D23 has made sure a free gift comes in EVERY magazine, that the magazine increases its content, that the website has some really great articles, to do the D23 Expo -- no matter what you feel about it, they did it to the best of their abilities -- TWO Destination D events, plus smaller events not JUST in California in FLorida, but I've seen some in Chicago, in Kansas City ... they want to get fans mobilized everywhere, but it's still in start-up phase. Don't have buyer's remorse! Know that at the VERY least, you'll get the stellar magazine and gifts, and as they do more and more, you'll GET more and more!
LuJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #28
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

This thread is starting to veer off topic. The original poster listed information about new discounts for D23 members. Please keep the discussion to that topic, not debating the validity of a membership.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: