Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #61
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Hi Stefy and Dave! Love the pics so far, can't wait to hear more
Hey you made it over
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #62
Stefy

Let's Get This Party Started!

Hi Everyone Are we ready for an update? Sorry it's been so long, been a busy week this week, can't believe the weekend is almost over!

Well let's officially get this TR started We start off with:

Sunday September 4th
Today was a hectic day. We had to pick up the suits for Dave, my dad and his dad, my dress from my bosses house and make sure we had everything we needed as we had to check into a hotel near the airport for our 8:10am flight the next day.

Once we were all set and ready to go, we got in the car and started the drive towards Gatwick Airport, I should point out we was me, Dave and my mum and dad.

We made good time, didn't encounter any traffic which was a bonus. Found our hotel and checked in then went for some dinner at one of our favourite chain restaurants we usually go to.

There isn't many pictures for this day I'm afraid, apologies.

After dinner we headed back to the hotel to relax and watch some TV before hitting the hay. I was pottering around in our room when a thought popped into my head. Now when I travel I always freak out that I will forget our passports or anything really important and I am constantly checking and double checking that I have those documents. So much so that even though I have checked before I left the house, I check when I am in the car too (so crazy). Now I am searching my travel wallet and starting to panic...where's my cash passport?!?!?!?

A cash passport is an "easier" version of travellers cheques. Because we had to pay off the majority of our wedding stuff in Italy, I had the bright idea of using a cash passport, rather than changing £'s into Euros (the exchange rate was really craptastic) why not put everything on a card and get a better rate that way.

Anywho back to the story, I am searching and searching and realise that I have left the card at home Freaking out even more (as this was the most important thing we needed) I ran across the hall to my parents room and proceeded to freak out at them. My wonderful Dad said he would drive back home and get it (That was Bridezilla moment 1 of the trip)

So off we went, we were really lucky as we breezed through and were home in just under 1hr. I ran upstairs and grabbed the cash passport and some CD's for the journey back.

We made it back in good time again (fortune favoured) and was actually a nice drive just me and Dad listening to some Queen

I walked into our room, Dave was watching 3 Lions (British film which looked quite funny). I was exhausted and decided to call it night, Dave joined me not long after and we were off to Dream Land.

Monday September 5th
Our alarm was set for 5 or 6am, but I woke up around 3:50am. Dave woke up shortly after and we decided to just lay there and chat til it was time to get up. I can't believe we were up that early, it was crazy!

Ready to go, we checked out and dropped off the car in the car park. Hopped on the bus to the terminal and checked in. Was nice and quick, security was not, they wanted to put my dress through the scanner and I point blank said "No!" They were so adamant it has to go in there, I was like hell no have you seen the size of it? Have you seen the size of the tiny hole it has to go through? Do you not think it will squash my nice new $$$$ wedding dress? Seriously the security people here are like robots with no souls. No animation whatsoever! They finally agreed to not put it through the belt and asked me to go into a room off the side where they could swipe it and make sure I wasn't carrying a bomb sewn into the bodice (Bridezilla Moment No. 2). Satisfied that there was no threat, we walked through into departures. Got some pics for you now

Me carrying my dress (was not light)

Tired but excited to be going finally

We found a spot for breakfast, bought some last minute bits from the shops and before we knew it our gate was open.

We had to board a bus to get to our plane, so we crammed in. That wasn't fun with three suit bags, carry ons and a wedding dress. But we managed it, found a nice stewardess who stowed it all away nice and safe and we were off!

We were a little late taking off, but all in all a smooth and short plane ride (2hrs). We breezed through customs (gotta love being in an EU country with a British Passport) and found our bags. Our driver was waiting for us to take us to our hotel.

The 4am wake up was catching up to us all and we were nodding off in the car. Didn't help that it was slowly lulling us to sleep (takes an hour to get to Garda from Verona airport). But at last we arrived. Said our hello's to Roberto (the manager/owner) and checked into our room.

The view from our room

The lake!!!

After checking out the view, we went downstairs for something to eat. Arturo came over to say hello (he is the owners dog).

We went back up to the room and rested for a bit, still a bit tired from the morning and the car journey. Rested, we changed and went for a wak along the lake. We were meeting up with Dave's Dad, his Dad's Girlfriend Laura and his Gran for dinner at the restaurant we were having the reception at, my parents were joining us too.

At some point Dave split off from the rest of us to go find his family to take them to the restaurant. Me and my parents went on ahead. We found the restaurant and said hello to Mario (the owner) and how excited we were to be celebrating here after the wedding ceremony.

We sat down at our table and Dave turned up shortly afterwards with everyone. Alas there are no food pictures as we were all busy scoffing and chatting away, but I do have this one (me enjoying my sweet red wine).

Dinner done and everyone sated, we made our way up to the street to find a cab. It started to pour, which was not fun and we ended up getting stuck underneath a shop canopy. Dave ventured out into the rain to try and find a number for a taxi. He came back successful and our cab was here within 5mins and as luck would have it, it was the same guy that had picked us up from the airport that day (small world).

Back at the hotel we crashed and was out like a light as soon as our head hit the pillow. It was a busy day the next day as we were going round doing wedding stuff with our planner.

Next Up: Wedding stuffs and a speedboat adventure!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #63
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

amazing photos of Italy Stefy!

What an awful moment when you realised you didn't have the cash passport at least there was time to head home & get it, phew!

That is crazy about the security at Gatwick.. surely they could see it was a wedding dress we had an awful experience coming back from honeymoon through that airport.. tried to use the Iris scanners (at passport control) and ended up being shouted at, in front of hundreds of other passengers, like we were children?! never a fun experience lol

So excited for more & really enjoying reading about it all!

Emma x
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #64
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Great update, Stefy!

What a scare forgetting your card! No wonder you freaked!
Again, the airport security must be nuts - your dress would never have fitted comfortably through the scanners!
I do understand security but there must be another way to check it!

Love the photos of Italy - makes me wanna go there right away. Can't wait for the wedding pics!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #65
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Yay great update!! Can't believe you forgot your cash passport, but glad your Dad went back to get it! And I'm glad you stood your ground about not smooshing your dress through the scanner machines! It would have totally gotten ruined!!

Italy looks beautiful!! Can't wait to read more!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #66
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

Great update!!! Love the pics of the view, I would love to wake up to that!

I can't wait to hear more!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Old 11-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #67
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Great update! Wow what a gorgeous view! Would love to go to Italy someday

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #68
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness you were close enough to home that you could go back and get that card! Talk about a panic attack!

The town you stayed at in Italy looks so pretty!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #69
MEK
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures. Just stunning. Too bad about having to go back home from the traveler's checks, but at least you found out in plenty of time.

I can't wait to see pictures of your wedding. I'm certain your dress is gorgeous.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #70
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

So exciting to finally be in Italy! Can't wait to read more!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #71
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Oh goodness, I am glad you remembered your card. Hurray for a safe flight and yummy food with family!! Looks like a beautiful place.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #72
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Yay! You started your trip! your little wedding village is so beautiful, as well as the lake! You got some beautiful pics!

Good thing you remembered the card before you got on the plane!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #73
Stefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
amazing photos of Italy Stefy!

What an awful moment when you realised you didn't have the cash passport at least there was time to head home & get it, phew!

That is crazy about the security at Gatwick.. surely they could see it was a wedding dress we had an awful experience coming back from honeymoon through that airport.. tried to use the Iris scanners (at passport control) and ended up being shouted at, in front of hundreds of other passengers, like we were children?! never a fun experience lol

So excited for more & really enjoying reading about it all!

Emma x
Thanks So glad I remembered the day before and not the day we were flying!!!

I hate airport security, they are always so sullen looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Great update, Stefy!

What a scare forgetting your card! No wonder you freaked!
Again, the airport security must be nuts - your dress would never have fitted comfortably through the scanners!
I do understand security but there must be another way to check it!

Love the photos of Italy - makes me wanna go there right away. Can't wait for the wedding pics!
Thanks I couldn't believe they thought it would fit, although their idea of "fit" is basically shoving it through until it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Yay great update!! Can't believe you forgot your cash passport, but glad your Dad went back to get it! And I'm glad you stood your ground about not smooshing your dress through the scanner machines! It would have totally gotten ruined!!

Italy looks beautiful!! Can't wait to read more!
Thanks

I know it was such an awful feeling realising I had forgotten a key piece for this wedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
Great update!!! Love the pics of the view, I would love to wake up to that!

I can't wait to hear more!!!
Thanks It was so exciting looking out on to the lake. Love that hotel, can't wait to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Great update! Wow what a gorgeous view! Would love to go to Italy someday
It's not a bad view considering we are not actually on the lake But I like seeing views from afar, just as much as up close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Thank goodness you were close enough to home that you could go back and get that card! Talk about a panic attack!

The town you stayed at in Italy looks so pretty!
...and lucky there was no traffic. In total my dad did just under 4 hrs driving that day, bless him
Old 11-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #74
Stefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Beautiful pictures. Just stunning. Too bad about having to go back home from the traveler's checks, but at least you found out in plenty of time.

I can't wait to see pictures of your wedding. I'm certain your dress is gorgeous.
Thanks Wedding pictures coming up soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
So exciting to finally be in Italy! Can't wait to read more!
Hoping to do an update in the next couple of days, so stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Oh goodness, I am glad you remembered your card. Hurray for a safe flight and yummy food with family!! Looks like a beautiful place.
Lake Garda is just beautiful, I dare anyone not to fall in love with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Yay! You started your trip! your little wedding village is so beautiful, as well as the lake! You got some beautiful pics!

Good thing you remembered the card before you got on the plane!
Thanks Malcesine is small but quaint, the best part of being in that hotel apart from the owners is the walk to the lake, so peaceful and serene
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #75
TinkerbellinNY6
Mouseketeer

Italy looks so pretty! I cant believe they would try to send your dress through the scanners It would never fit... I am so glad they did it a different way!
Our Disney Trips: Feb 2007-ASMu, Dec 2007-CSR, Dec/Jan 2009-2010-Pop, Poly, CSR, Aug 2010-BLT, Pop, May 2011-ASSp, CR, Dec 2011-Pop, Aug 2012-BC, POR, SSR, Oct 2012-Pop, Nov 2012-Pop, CSR, Dec 2012-Pop, AKL, Feb 2013-CBR, April 2013-YC, May 2013-POFQ, CR, ASMo Current CM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: