Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #271
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Last we left off, we had just landed at MCO Now Surprise No. 1 was not far away, but being 2hrs late I hoped that it was still all go

We breezed through customs, grabbed our bags and made our way to the fake monorail. We arrived in departures and this was where I said to Dave "Follow me and don't ask any questions" and being the wonderful husband that he is, he did

Now as most of your know to get to ME you turn left and head towards Terminal B, however, I turned right and headed towards Terminal A. I knew Dave knew we were going the wrong way, but bless him he was still going with it We got towards the bottom of the escalator and I started scanning around on the look out. I was so worried that I would have to tell Dave how his first surprise had gone wrong, but luckily at that moment the elevator door opened and our driver came towards us name card in hand.

Yes Surprise 1 was a private transfer to our resort. We headed down to the car and loaded up. Dave was genuinely surprised and I was happy that I managed to pull off the first part of my plan, but just by the skin of my teeth

So off we went, our driver was really lovely and chatted with us the whole way. I really admire the way that Dave can just talk to random people like they have known each other forever. I'm not there yet, still a little reserved before I come out my shell.

Not the best shot of the sign, but we had to try.

Anywho, we finally made it to POFQ. Wait hold up, this isn't POFQ!!! Sadly I don't have a picture of the resort on arrival. Surprise 2 was an upgrade from POFQ to...
AKL Arusha View Dave's face was a picture and I wish I had taken a photo. We made our way to check in and the CM gave us our room key and explained about the resort "oh the lounge is open from 6am to 10pm" Wait, what?!? We're club level?!? When I booked the room I just figured I had paid extra for a better view of the Savannah, but apparently it was Club Level, so that was a nice surprise for both of us

We made our way to our room on the fourth floor. Even though we were knackered, we were still very excited to be in a new resort, especially one that I knew Dave wanted to stay in.

We found our room

In we walked, we weren't wowed straightaway like we were at the Poly, but we did love the room. It was huge!

The bathroom was a little unusual in that it had no bath tub, rather like a large wet room. But we loved it all the same.

Turndown service

Love this

I'm using this as my bookmark at the mo

We also found a wonderful surprise in the form of...

An awesome fruit/chocolate gift from Karin and Tom. Guys thank you so much for that it was such a lovely surprise Funny story though, we actually had to discover it for ourselves I noted empty plates and cutlery on the table and wondered what they were for as I had not ordered anything food wise, so I checked the fridge and found this delicious surprise inside. Housekeeping must have put it in the fridge seeing as we were late to check in.

We were feeling peckish, so decided to go and check out Mara. We checked out where it was on the map and headed out.

I love the corridors here, really well themed and quite long and windy, I esp love the all glass windows overlooking the savannah.

Mara found we ordered and headed back to the room. Dave went for a Cheeseburger, but for some reason I don't have a photo I went for a dish that I was quite looking forward to after reading about it on the boards, the African Stew, however, they seem to have stopped serving this in the bread bowl (which I was really disappointed with), but I ordered it anyway and it was delicious

We ate some of the chocolates and fruit from Karin & Tom and hit the hay as we were exhausted!

Cntd...
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #272
Stefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yeah! You are back!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait for more trip report from you - and I cannot wait for Dave's news! I guess it is good news!!!!!!!

Only 1 more week until DLRP! I'll keep my fingers crossed for really nice weather there for you two!

And since you asked what I have been doing ........ trying to update ALL my threads as much as possible, I cannot cope with yet another trip report "on my shoulders" (for our upcoming trip in a little under 5 weeks!)
Hey Karin Yes it is good news, really good news

I know, only one more week. Dave is really excited and I am getting there. Am hoping for some sunshine and not too cold, but our plan is to be calm and relaxed and just take everything at a relaxed pace

Oh god I don't know how you do it, I find it hard enough keeping up with all my subbed threads and I have three new ones that I need to start reading and sub to
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #273
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Great update, Stefy!

I love that all your surprises for Dave worked out so well. I wish you just had taken his photo when he realized he was going to stay at AKL!

And I have to thank Sophia, for leaking to me that you are going to stay at AKL instead of POFQ, so we could set up the little welcome treat for you. Glad you enjoyed it!

Very disappointed they don't serve the stew in a breadbowl any more! It was delish!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #274
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Hi Stefy! Glad you are back, and Happy New Year to you & Dave

So glad the surprises went well on the first day I love having surprises planned for DH on our trips.. great to see his reaction! The AKL idea was wonderful - we went to Mara too on our first evening, I really liked the variety of food they had there.

Looking forward to more and hearing Dave's news!

Emma x
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #275
Stefy

Thursday September 15th - Embarkation Day
Today was our cruise day and we woke up bright and early at the shocking time of 4:30am We tried to get back to sleep as we knew that we would regret it later, but up we got as we were just too excited. First thing we did was jump out on the balcony to see if any of the animals were roaming around. I think there were a few as I could hear rustling, however, it was still pitch black out!

I showered and got ready, whilst I was doing that Dave was testing his camera and messing about with settings and he did rather well as he got some pretty cool shots.

This shot was done where the lens sucks in all the light it can to illuminate the picture. It was pitch black still when this was taken.

Dave got ready after me and we didn't have to wait long til 6am. We headed to the elevator and made our way to the lounge to see what they were offering. However, we have since learned that most of the food doesn't come out til 7am, but they did have the hot beverages out, so Dave made us some hot chocolates and I took some pics of the lounge and lobby.

Our view from the lounge

We headed back to the room to wait for sunrise so we could check out the savannah in the daylight. The sun had finally decided to show its face and we took a few pics

A giraffe!

Love this chair

Dave was getting excited that the animals were starting to come out, I had to take this pic of him as he looked too cute waiting for them to come out

We were getting a little peckish, it was at this point that I told Dave about Surprise 3, breakfast at Boma. I had to tell him so he wouldn't go nuts on food as we had a reservation at 11am. So off he went and came back with these goodies

Dave was itching to explore and take more photos, so I told him to go out and do just that. Here is what he took

Cntd...
Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #276
Stefy

...cntd

These guys were everywhere! We counted at least 13 just standing in one spot.

My budding photographer

AKL is such a beautiful resort and we defo want to stay here again. Its lovely and peaceful and so detailed

Cntd...
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #277
Stefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Great update, Stefy!

I love that all your surprises for Dave worked out so well. I wish you just had taken his photo when he realized he was going to stay at AKL!

And I have to thank Sophia, for leaking to me that you are going to stay at AKL instead of POFQ, so we could set up the little welcome treat for you. Glad you enjoyed it!

Very disappointed they don't serve the stew in a breadbowl any more! It was delish!
Thanks His face was a picture, he gets like this cheeky big grin and its just so cute

It was a lovely gift, we were really surprised as obviously no one knew we were staying there, apart from Soph

So disappointed as it needed that bread bowl, otherwise its just a normal rice curry dish really

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Hi Stefy! Glad you are back, and Happy New Year to you & Dave

So glad the surprises went well on the first day I love having surprises planned for DH on our trips.. great to see his reaction! The AKL idea was wonderful - we went to Mara too on our first evening, I really liked the variety of food they had there.

Looking forward to more and hearing Dave's news!

Emma x
Thanks and Happy New Year to you too

I was so pleased he loved the surprise, like you say its so much fun surprising our loved ones
Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #278
Stefy

...cntd

It was time for breakfast and we were eager to see what Boma had to offer for breakfast. It wasn't too busy which was good, so we were seated pretty quickly.

There was an abundance of different food to choose from, we started off with a yummy omelette each

Then we just went with whatever we fancied

I think when we stay here we will defo do Boma breakfast again, esp for the Jungle Juice which is soooooooo good!

Breakfast done with we headed out to the The Zawadi Marketplace as Dave wanted to get a pin for the resort. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so we left empty handed. We sat in the lobby for a little while people watching and taking it all in. Before long our car had arrived and we were on our way to Port Canaveral

Up Next: It's the Dream!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #279
Soopafly
DIS Veteran

Wink

Yay she updated!

All of the surprises were awesome, getting to the resort by town car was great because it was quiet, relaxing and because we were 2 hrs delayed, so this was much quicker than Magical Express. I loved taking pics outside but there were so many bees and bugs flying around, not to mention it was already so hot and humid that day (a recurring theme).

So my news.....I have worked for the same guy for 9.5 years now and this has been my only job ever, I started when I was 16. The company is a lot smaller now and there has been a possible chance of redundancy looming over my head, so in December I had a job interview, my first actually as I walked right into my current job. It went great and on Wednesday I was told they didn't want to see me for a second interview, but they wanted to offer me a job, which I have accepted and will start on the 30th January! I am a mixture of excited and scared at this point but it's more money which means we can move quicker and start saving for mortgage deposit and future Disney trips.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #280
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopafly View Post
Yay she updated!

All of the surprises were awesome, getting to the resort by town car was great because it was quiet, relaxing and because we were 2 hrs delayed, so this was much quicker than Magical Express. I loved taking pics outside but there were so many bees and bugs flying around, not to mention it was already so hot and humid that day (a recurring theme).

So my news.....I have worked for the same guy for 9.5 years now and this has been my only job ever, I started when I was 16. The company is a lot smaller now and there has been a possible chance of redundancy looming over my head, so in December I had a job interview, my first actually as I walked right into my current job. It went great and on Wednesday I was told they didn't want to see me for a second interview, but they wanted to offer me a job, which I have accepted and will start on the 30th January! I am a mixture of excited and scared at this point but it's more money which means we can move quicker and start saving for mortgage deposit and future Disney trips.
Coming out of lurkdom to say Congrats!!! Enjoy the new job.

Great report....lots of great surprises!

Jill in CO
Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #281
Soopafly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post

Jill in CO
Thanks very much, I'm glad you came out of lurkdom.

There is loads more awesome stuff to come, you guys just have to bug Stef enough so that she will update more frequently lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #282
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Wonderful updates!

And congrats on the new job, Dave!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #283
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Sweet a new update

Dave, you look like you are a born natural with that camera! I love the night shot of the Savanna too! I'm VERY familiar with how dark it really is and you did excellent work with the tripod! Very very nice, you should be very proud! One of these years we need to coordinate a trip where we are both down there around the same time so we can meet up one night and go out shooting with the tripods
Also, congrats on the new job! Getting nervous about it yet? Good stuff and the fact that there wasn't even a second interview is downright awesome. Says a lot of good things about your character!

Stef, great job with the surprises! That African Stew was pretty darn good wasn't it? The Boma looks really good. If we ever make it there, I do want to try it out one day.

So can't wait to see the next update! On to the ship!!!

Last edited by NateNLogansDad; 01-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #284
Stefy

Quote:
Yay she updated!

Congrats baby, I am so proud of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post

Jill in CO
Hi and Thanks for coming out of lurkdom to join us There are still a couple more surprises to come, so stay tuned

Quote:
Thanks very much, I'm glad you came out of lurkdom.

There is loads more awesome stuff to come, you guys just have to bug Stef enough so that she will update more frequently lol.
Yes yes, I will try to update more :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Wonderful updates!

And congrats on the new job, Dave!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
Sweet a new update

Dave, you look like you are a born natural with that camera! I love the night shot of the Savanna too! I'm VERY familiar with how dark it really is and you did excellent work with the tripod! Very very nice, you should be very proud! One of these years we need to coordinate a trip where we are both down there around the same time so we can meet up one night and go out shooting with the tripods
Also, congrats on the new job! Getting nervous about it yet? Good stuff and the fact that there wasn't even a second interview is downright awesome. Says a lot of good things about your character!

Stef, great job with the surprises! That African Stew was pretty darn good wasn't it? The Boma looks really good. If we ever make it there, I do want to try it out one day.

So can't wait to see the next update! On to the ship!!!
Lol you made me laugh when about you two going out for a day of shooting Can just imagine the mischief you would get up to, esp if you stopped off at WS

The African Stew was really yummy, maybe next time we go the bread bowl will be back because people keep asking for it

Ah the ship updates will be the best as we had such an amazing time on board and can't wait to go back again
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #285
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

So many nice surprises! I'm happy you got to experience AKL! Stefy, I think you got a Handicapped bathroom. I really enjoyed your update.

Dave, beautiful pics! I am thinking you have a wonderful camera! Congratulations on the new job! I'm sure you will do very well at it!

Okay Stefy, this is because Dave said to:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: