Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

We always fly in at least the day before and budget the resort into the vacation. To me it's too risky flying in the day of the cruise. Weather, mechanical problems, traffic delays getting to the airport, etc. All it takes is one or more of these to miss the flight and/or cruise departure.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Gosh, "a penny wise and a pound foolish" isn't snarky. I don't think that Nancy meant any disrespect, she was just saying that what is seen as saving money now could end up costing a lot more money in the long run.

We flew SWA from PDX to LAX earlier this year. Our flights weren't late and all went well. But it was 15* at home that morning and we were worried about it. We flew in the day before and I was just thankful that I didn't have to stress about it all.

It isn't too late for insurance, btw. We bought insurance for our upcoming trip on the MR and it was $110 for the four of us and includes preexisting conditions. I think that if it's been more than two weeks since you made your first payment you might have a harder time finding one that covers PEC, but if it's just delays or missing the boat that you're worried about, you should have no trouble finding something fairly inexpensive.

Enjoy your trip!
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

I am going to add my voice to the day before group. As someone who works on commercial aircraft weather is only one of many things that can cause a flight delay or even cancellation. As a PP said, even something across the country can effect your flight depending on where the flight you are getting on originates. Even if I am driving I want to be there the day before. You never know what might happen.

Kevin
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014-Bahamas
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern, 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
Magic EBTA
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
If you really don't care whether or not you get to cruise, then fly the day the ship sails.
I didnt realize posting a question would cause so much controversy
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
I am a fly in the night before kind of gal. When flying Southwest that time of year do your research and make sure your flight that connects in LAS does not come from Denver. If it does you will be an unhappy camper. Also from a frequent traveler on Southwest, try to get a direct flight. In the winter any little thing that happens thousands of miles away can really put a hamper on your plans. Southwest currently starts a plane at one end of the country and usually ends at the other.

Plus, getting up in time to get to the airport for a 7:00 flight kind of takes the fun out of the day. I do it all the time for work, but NEVER do it when traveling for fun.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.

I also agree with another poster, Nancy apparently woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Be nice people. The negative comment was neither warranted nor appropriate.

It turns out the SW flight actually connects at SMF, how would I know if that plane is coming from Denver?
Thanks for the tip regarding where the plane comes from before it gets to me!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme97 View Post
I know everyone will say fly in a day early but it never has been feasible for me cause I'm cheap! I've been on almost 10 cruises and never missed one. Nit saying it can't or won't happen but I've been lucky. All of my flights have been the first one of the day and direct. After returning from my last cruise out oh Miami we discovered a lot of people missed their cruise not outs because of an explosion at the airport and many planes could not land. This is a case when trip insurance is a must. Those that had it in sure caught up with the boat at the next port those who didn't well you know the rest. Also if you purchase through Disney and it's something major and affects quite a few they will wait not too long though.
WOW! That is great that you never missed any of them, did you make sure to get the very first flight of the day?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley321121 View Post
I didnt realize posting a question would cause so much controversy
Search the previous topics. This topic, tipping, insurance, pricing, hotel choices, searching itself, etc are all among the top things that come up every couple of days.

I use a site like flightstats.com for the plane info.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
It isn't too late for insurance, btw. We bought insurance for our upcoming trip on the MR and it was $110 for the four of us and includes preexisting conditions. I think that if it's been more than two weeks since you made your first payment you might have a harder time finding one that covers PEC, but if it's just delays or missing the boat that you're worried about, you should have no trouble finding something fairly inexpensive.

Enjoy your trip!
We just paid for our trip actually one week ago. I didnt know that it is possible to book the travel insurance other than through Disney, I looked at some rates on travelgaurd.com and they seem fairly cheap!

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
DreamBound23
Mouseketeer

We are taking no chances and are flying out 2 days before. It's already snowing here, so who knows what the weather may be a month from now.

I would fly out the day before, if possible. Less stress!!!

4 Night Bahamas Dream Cruise - 11/27/11-12/1/11
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 12/01/12
7 Night Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 04/26/14
7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise - 01/24/15

DreamBound23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Lost baggage can be an issue too especially if you are connecting.. i.e. you may make it but your bags may not.. i knew one person ffrom SF that flew in the same day and was without luggage the whole cruise.. (yes, there is a Walmat at PV)..

the hotwire/priceline route is a good one as most hotels are running about $50/night..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It turns out the SW flight actually connects at SMF, how would I know if that plane is coming from Denver?
Thanks for the tip regarding where the plane comes from before it gets to me!
Hi there:
You can look at the flight numbers that are assigned then pull up their itineraries on Southwest. You will be able to see where the flight originates and then were it ends up the end of the day.

Regarding controversy on this board. I learned my lesson the hard way as well. Don't worry about it. I swore I would never post again and my husband told me I was being a baby and to put on a tougher skin.

But I look at it this way. I work in oncology (cancer) research. So I have people who have been newly diagnosed with cancer asking me questions everyday. NONE of them are stupid. They even ask me the same question over and over and over again. I always meet them with the same gentle kindness each time as they are new to what is happening to them. I treat these online discussions the same way. Many people don't. They get pissy and snippy as if you are wasting their time even when they really don't have to answer you. They just feel better about themselves by posting and trying to make whomever feel lesser. Nice.

Anyway, don't worry about it.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We just paid for our trip actually one week ago. I didnt know that it is possible to book the travel insurance other than through Disney, I looked at some rates on travelgaurd.com and they seem fairly cheap!

Thanks for the suggestion
DCL's insurance wouldn't have covered your flights unless you also booked your flights through them.

If you made your final trip payment a week ago, then you won't get a waiver of pre-existing conditions with any policy. If you made your first trip payment at that time, then some policies would cover pre-existing conditions. (If neither you nor your non-traveling family members have any pre-existing health conditions, then it's a moot point.)
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=geffric;43096080]Lost baggage can be an issue too especially if you are connecting.. i.e. you may make it but your bags may not.. i knew one person ffrom SF that flew in the same day and was without luggage the whole cruise.. (yes, there is a Walmat at PV)..QUOTE]

Ahh that would be HORRIBLE to not have luggage!!

Speaking of lugguage, our other airline option (besides SW) is Spirit. Spirit has very cheap airfare, but has extremely high baggage prices, they even charge for your first carry on.

If we can limit alll of our stuff to one checked bag each then it is worth it for us to fly spirit, if we are going to need any more baggae than that we mind as well pay the extra money to fly SW and get 2 free bags!

How much luggage (for your selves, not the whole family) do you usually find yourselves bringing?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
ashley321121
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
But I look at it this way. I work in oncology (cancer) research. So I have people who have been newly diagnosed with cancer asking me questions everyday. NONE of them are stupid. They even ask me the same question over and over and over again. I always meet them with the same gentle kindness each time as they are new to what is happening to them. I treat these online discussions the same way. Many people don't. They get pissy and snippy as if you are wasting their time even when they really don't have to answer you. They just feel better about themselves by posting and trying to make whomever feel lesser. Nice.
Thanks for the tip on how to check where the plane comes from,

I like your example regarding asking questions, very true, I definitely agree!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ashley321121;43096517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geffric View Post
Lost baggage can be an issue too especially if you are connecting.. i.e. you may make it but your bags may not.. i knew one person ffrom SF that flew in the same day and was without luggage the whole cruise.. (yes, there is a Walmat at PV)..QUOTE]

Ahh that would be HORRIBLE to not have luggage!!

Speaking of lugguage, our other airline option (besides SW) is Spirit. Spirit has very cheap airfare, but has extremely high baggage prices, they even charge for your first carry on.

If we can limit alll of our stuff to one checked bag each then it is worth it for us to fly spirit, if we are going to need any more baggae than that we mind as well pay the extra money to fly SW and get 2 free bags!

How much luggage (for your selves, not the whole family) do you usually find yourselves bringing?
A lot depends on how much stuff you want to bring. DH & I did a 24 night B2B on Disney. We each had one checked bag and one carryon. Even with the souveniers we bought, we still had 2 checked bags and 2 carryons on the return flight.

Rule #1 about packing for a cruise: lay out everything you think you'll need, and pack half of it.

ps there is a self-serve laundry onboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, depart, fly, leave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: