Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
ybeshsm77
Earning My Ears

Trip Report from a Non-Disney Fanatic Point of View

Just so you know this trip report wont contain pictures. I don't like posting pics of my family. I don't even do facebook because of that reason.

To begin we left by plane from the hudson valley, NY to Orlando on Jan 21st at 7am. We got there around 10:30am. We left when it was snowing. They had to get ice off the plane. We would have been there at 10am if they didn't have to get the ice off. We went for 5 days. My husband and I are in our mid-30s. We have an 8 year old boy and 4 year old girl(She loves Mickey). Not into the princesses. School let us take him out. The principal is a Disney fanatic. He told me what websites I should visit to get tips on going to Disney. My daughter is in nursery school. We had no issues with taking her out to school. The last time I was to Disney I was 7 years old and it was only for one day. I wanted to do the Haunted Mansion but the line was too long for my parents. My husband was there twice before when he was a kid. We did this trip mainly for the kids.

Weather:

The high was in the low 80s each day we were there. No rain the whole time. Never worked up a sweat walking the parks. I wore jeans and a short sleeve shirt. No jacket. Kids and husband wore shorts. I only wore a jacket when I would go to the food court early in the morning.

We found the magical express bus quickly. Nice ride.

Resort:

Port Orleans Riverside.

I only made one request for a refurbished room. They gave me a refurbished room on the ground floor in the mansion building Arcadia. Very short walk to pool, main building and close to bus depot. We rented a stroller from magic strollers for the 4 year old. Was there when we got there. It was wonderful. Worth every penney.

Room was wonderful. Clean. Smelled nice. It felt big. Nice beds, pillow, bathroom, good storage. Maid service was great. Couldn't hear neighbors.
Kids loved the pool and it was nice going in it when it was in the 80's.

Dinning plan:

We had the one quick service, one table service, and snack per day. There was no way I could keep track of how many kid meals were used so I didn't worry about it. A lot of times we would only order the pasta from the quick service food court for two adults for lunch. My husband would eat one (too much for even him.) I would order one for myself and that would feed my son, daughter, and me with food left over. We would get the cake with each of our adult meals and split them down the middle. That would get us four good size pieces to feed all four of us for desert. Keep in mind my husband, kids and I are really slim. I am a 5'1" and 100 pounds. Two adult meals to feed all four of us was still too much food. We then used the extra meals we saved, for breakfast. Also when doing the dinning plan they allow you to get a bottled drink on top of using your free mug to fill up. We would get orange juice bottles at lunch to use with breakfast. I would then get the kids breakfast in the morning to use up the extra quick service meals we hadn't used for lunch and also get one or two pastries with snack credits for my husband and I. We would then use the extra orange juice from lunch the day before with the pastries. Usually we never ate at the food court. I would get our meals and bring them back to our room or to the pool when we were at the resort for breakfast and lunch. I would only get two meals at a time, again because portions were huge. If all four of us wanted lunch at the parks at the same time we would of course get the kids meals for each child.

We used snack credits mostly on coffee for my husband, popcorn for husband, and ice cream. I ate a lot more than I normally do. I weighed myself when I got home and hadn't gained a pound. Extra walking meant extra calories burned. So enjoy the more food than usual. I think most people probably burn it off, if your at a healthy weight to begin with.

All food was good. No food poisoning.

First night was Garden Grill. Excellent food and waiter.

Second night was Citricos. Just husband and I. Kids stayed at Kids Club. Food was excellent. Didn't like the atmosphere as much.

Third night was O'hanas. Excellent food. Good waiter. Best meal of the week.
Reminds you of a Brazilian steakhouse. They keep coming around with different meats.

Fourth night ate at food court to make up for double credits at Citricos.

Fifth night was Crystal Palace. Good buffet. Food was good. Deserts were really good. Least favorite of all but still very good.

I'll add more later about what parks we visited and so on. I'll post again on this thread soon.

-C
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

As you've noticed, most of us on these boards are "Disney Fanatics" (and let's face it....that's the polite term for us....) I'm interested in hearing your points of view.

[/IMG]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: