Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #31
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Hi! I just popped over from your comment on my PTR. Your report is great so far, I am glad to see another report about the Canada cruise. As a Canadian, I can say that June is pretty warm for us but I think that you are used to much warmer temperatures so you may need to bring those sweaters (especially being out over the ocean) Your FE looks great! I love the duct tape/no sew - so sad that you don't have any craft stores near you though. I don't know what I would do without them! It looks like your family has a lot of celebrating to do, and I look forward to reading more about your trip

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #32
HaliGirl
Earning My Ears

Hi, I just found your PTR and am enjoying it. I live in Halifax and it sounds like you've planned a great day in our city. We're excited to have DCL visit our city and plan on coming down to the waterfront to see the Magic when she's at the pier. My kids are big fans of the Freak Lunchbox and we all enjoy the Maritime Musuem of the Atlantic. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that you get great weather for your visit, as June can still be cool at times.

December 2008 All Star Movies
Sept-Oct 2010 Port Orleans Riverside

HaliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Hi! I just popped over from your comment on my PTR. Your report is great so far, I am glad to see another report about the Canada cruise. As a Canadian, I can say that June is pretty warm for us but I think that you are used to much warmer temperatures so you may need to bring those sweaters (especially being out over the ocean) Your FE looks great! I love the duct tape/no sew - so sad that you don't have any craft stores near you though. I don't know what I would do without them! It looks like your family has a lot of celebrating to do, and I look forward to reading more about your trip
Thanks for coming over to my PTR! I love when DISers say "hi", but when I started to write a PTR I promised myself that I'm not going to get caught up in how many "followers" I have, I'm just going to enjoy writing! And I know folks are reading 'cause there are lots of "hits" so that encourages me too! I'm going to keep a watch on yours, too - we can learn from each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliGirl View Post
Hi, I just found your PTR and am enjoying it. I live in Halifax and it sounds like you've planned a great day in our city. We're excited to have DCL visit our city and plan on coming down to the waterfront to see the Magic when she's at the pier. My kids are big fans of the Freak Lunchbox and we all enjoy the Maritime Musuem of the Atlantic. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that you get great weather for your visit, as June can still be cool at times.
Thanks! How cool that the Magic is visiting your home town! And we'll be the only ship in town that day, too! If you come down to visit the waterfront you should carry a big DIS sign and then we can all come over and say hi! We're assuming it will be cooler than we're used to, planning on sweatshirts etc. We prefer cool to hot and humid!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

I'm supposed to be focusing on DS's bar mitzvah which is in 16 days, but I can't just NOT think about the cruise, can I?? This is my therapy, my drug of choice, my preferred poison!
I'm going to try to do my own iron-on transfers.
I'm going to make sweatshirts, black sweatshirts (Canada, cold, ya' know...). Black hooded sweatshirts.
I'm going to order these transfers:
http://www.amymickey.com/ironontransfer_page.html
This is going to be on the back:

And this will be on the front "breast pocket":

Not sure if to try to personlize it more...
And a bit nervous about doing it myself, but it seemed the best way, especially since I want to do black.

That's all for tonight, friends! Time to get the kids in bed and go see why the cats are snarling at each other!

!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #35
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
I'm supposed to be focusing on DS's bar mitzvah which is in 16 days, but I can't just NOT think about the cruise, can I?? This is my therapy, my drug of choice, my preferred poison!
I'm going to try to do my own iron-on transfers.
I'm going to make sweatshirts, black sweatshirts (Canada, cold, ya' know...). Black hooded sweatshirts.
I'm going to order these transfers:
http://www.amymickey.com/ironontransfer_page.html
This is going to be on the back:

And this will be on the front "breast pocket":

Not sure if to try to personlize it more...
And a bit nervous about doing it myself, but it seemed the best way, especially since I want to do black.

That's all for tonight, friends! Time to get the kids in bed and go see why the cats are snarling at each other!
Still following! Your cruise is coming up fast for sure!! Love all your FE stuff! Love your magnets! And WOW! These sweatshirts look great! I'm creative, but wouldn't have a clue how to make a T or sweatshirt by myself. You Go!

Ok., now tell yourself...On to the bar mitzvah...on the the bar mitzvah... You are as BAD as I was! You know you're so excited for your son, as this is his once-in-a-lifetime, but wow, THIS is a Disney cruise! So, YES, you can have all the excitement for Both of these events!

You are gonna be way beyond prepared, so that when you board the cruise, you'll have nothing but fun times, good eating, and sweet memories to make! You've done great keeping your trip report, would love to see your excitement when you get packed and board that plane!!

'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA!
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #36
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

I love your sweatshirt designs!! Make sure you post some pictures for us when they are all finished so we can see how they turned out.

I don't have many followers on my TR's but I mainly write them to get out what I need to say so that I don't bug DH with it 24/7!! It is nice to have a few friendly faces around though, and maybe as I get more involved I will have more followers as well.

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #37
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullins5 View Post
Still following! Your cruise is coming up fast for sure!! Love all your FE stuff! Love your magnets! And WOW! These sweatshirts look great! I'm creative, but wouldn't have a clue how to make a T or sweatshirt by myself. You Go!

Ok., now tell yourself...On to the bar mitzvah...on the the bar mitzvah... You are as BAD as I was! You know you're so excited for your son, as this is his once-in-a-lifetime, but wow, THIS is a Disney cruise! So, YES, you can have all the excitement for Both of these events!

You are gonna be way beyond prepared, so that when you board the cruise, you'll have nothing but fun times, good eating, and sweet memories to make! You've done great keeping your trip report, would love to see your excitement when you get packed and board that plane!!
Thanks for the encouragement! Both events are really part of the same, so it's all just a very exciting time for us. Reality has me focusing on the March 31st event, but my little DIS breaks help me stay sane! He loves green and wants the colors to be green/black/silver/white at the party. So yesterday I ordered M&Ms in those colors and we're going to use them to decorate the tables! Cool eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
I don't have many followers on my TR's but I mainly write them to get out what I need to say so that I don't bug DH with it 24/7!! It is nice to have a few friendly faces around though, and maybe as I get more involved I will have more followers as well.
You may not have lots of people who have written, yet, but look how many people have read your PTR, already around 300!!!! !!!! That says "followers" to me! It's the "Field of Dreams" attitude toward report-writing - "write it and they will come....". And, most of all, it gives us an outlet for our DISney crazies, with folks who understand our illness!

!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #38
pkmingo
Mouseketeer

Hi!
Just found your pre-trip report! Glad I am not the only one in cruise planning mode! We are on your sailing too. It is our 8th Disney cruise and always love every minute of them!!! I am loving your pictures of Israel, just beautiful! I am following along!
Carol

Last edited by pkmingo; 03-16-2012 at 04:51 PM.
pkmingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmingo View Post
Hi!
Just found your pre-trip report! Glad I am not the only one in cruise planning mode! We are on your sailing too. It is our 8th Disney cruise and always love every minute of them!!! I am loving your pictures of Israel, just beautiful! I am following along!
Carol
Thanks! Great to see a cruise-meet-FE-mate here! Welcome! I can't believe how time is marching on. Remember when it was more than a year away?! We have PIF date coming up soon - last time we'll ever be first-time cruisers!

!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #40
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

getting on board your trip report !!

by the way, it really doesn't matter where the ship is going - the point is being on a cruise...specifically, a disney cruise!!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #41
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
it really doesn't matter where the ship is going - the point is being on a cruise...specifically, a disney cruise!!

!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

DETOUR: Eilat, Israel!

So about 3 weeks ago, my DH and I went to Eilat for a long weekend! It was a trip subsidized by my work, a "prize" for all the workers in our division for being the best at something or another! Eilat is about 5 hours drive from the center of the country where we live. Basically, you drive through the desert for 5 hours and then you are there. OK, maybe only about 3 hours is totally the middle of nowhere. Years ago we used to live in that region of Israel, so it is very familiar to us. This was the first time we went as persons-of-leisure!
Driving down to Eilat, you pretty much see this:

There are 2 ways to get there, the road that winds through the mountains, or the road that winds through the valley. Both are pretty - this time we were on a bus so we went the valley route - a few less hairpin turns. When we drive ourselves, we go the wiggly route which passes through Mitzpe Ramon:

Do you see that patch of houses out there in the desert?

We used to live there! It's a kibbutz (collective community) called Kibbutz Lotan, and about 150 people live there. Most work either on the kibbutz itself (dairy cows, date palm orchards, kitchen etc), in the local region (teachers, tour guides) or in Eilat (social workers, travel agents). We loved living there, but it was so isolated that we decided after the kids got toward school age to move to the center of the country. We go to visit friends there a lot, so it was weird to pass by without saying Hi.

We stayed at a beautiful Hilton in Eilat. It was February but the sun shined for 2 of the 3 days and we were in t-shirts. The water was very cold, though. No swimming. Just North of the hotel area is a no-man's land with some beachfront, and then the border with Jordan.

It is quite close! We were there once (Aqaba is the town). There are some beautiful hotels and great restaurants there, but it feels very Middle East. It is about 1 hour's drive from Aqaba to Petra. That's a big draw, too. Eilat itself feels much more like a trendy/tacky/could-be-anywhere vacation town.

This is walking back from the border area.

The hotels are all lined up by the water. The "real town" pushes back and up into the hills. That's the Eilat I used to know. That's where I worked. There are about 80,000 residents in Eilat, I think. Many work in the tourism industry but many in local industries, or as teachers, nurses, store owners, etc.

We went to a wax museum (in the lobby of the IMAX theater!). Recognize these folks? ARRRRRRRRR!

And there's a sculpure park with painted fishies. Of course I liked this one most!

Well, we mostly stayed in the hotel, relaxing and eating and relaxing some more! If you're ever in the area, it's a nice place to hang out for a few days!

Thanks for joining me on this Detour To Eilat!
Next trip ... :

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 03-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #43
pkmingo
Mouseketeer

Thank you for sharing your trip! That area around the Hilton looks so beautiful! Hope you had a very nice time!
Carol
pkmingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
brownzee
Earning My Ears

Just found your thread.
I spent 12 days in Israel back in April 2010 with my two oldest. We hiked Ein Gedi also. Did not get a chance to get to Eilat really wanted to go to Petra just didn't find the time. My DS 15 had a great time keeps asking to go back and visit again. Did get to see Tel Aviv, Haifa, Acre, Golan Heights, Sea of Galilee and Jerusalem.
WDW 11/2008 SSR
WDW 10/2010 SSR Halloween trip
DCL 09/2010 11 Day Med Cruise
DCL 06/2012 5 Day Canada Cruise from NYC
brownzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #45
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Thanks Brownzee and PKMingo!
I enjoyed someone else's PTR where they posted about some of their sidetrips, so I'm glad that my "detours" are being enjoyed, too!
I hate to admit it but I have never been to Petra either! And I live here. I even lived near Eilat for many years! I've been across to Jordan but it was just after the border opened and we just went for a short visit to experience it. One day... I have lived here for 13 years and still have a lot to see. For a small country there is a wealth of scenery, history, culture, and beauty! My kids do a lot of traveling around with school - every year from 1st grade on does day trips and then from 6th grade overnight trips all around the country. LUCKY THEM!
Brownzee, what kind of cabin arrangement does one do when sailing with 6 kids?! AWESOME!

!

Last edited by HermanTriplets+1; 03-20-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: