Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
jstbcuz
DIS Veteran

San Francisco

THinking of a trip to DL for 3 days then heading up to San Fran for 5 or 6 days. Looking for suggestions on what is not to miss while there or on the way. Golden Gate Bridge is a must, Fishermans Wharf, maybe Alcatraz.

Also what is a good part of town to stay in? Any recommedations here would be awesome too.
jstbcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Haven't been, but if you are a Disney nut, the Disney Family Museum is in SF.
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
araes2102
Mouseketeer

This thread has great ideas (especially mine if I do say so myself )!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2780262

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Most people stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area, which is pretty central to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and North Beach (Italian area).

Another good place is the Union Square area, which is more central to the theater district, shopping, and financial district.

One of the cheaper areas to stay is out on Lombard street (neighborhood of Cow Hollow and beyond). That's where you'll find cheaper (note, not cheap) accomodations, mostly motels. Recommended if you're driving, as most of these motels do NOT charge for parking. Almost all other hotels/motels do charge for parking, and it can be high.

Lots and lots of things to see and do. Don't forget Golden Gate Park, with all its museums, outdoor displays of flowers, and the Conservatory. If you're driving, drive up to the top of Twin Peaks at night - the views are amazing! Also, when you go to the GG Bridge, go over it and immediately exit for the scenic overlook - great views of the city!

But for even better views, check out my post #7 and #8 in this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2511788

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

If you can swing it you should see Yosemite National Park. Heaven on Earth in my opinion. It's at least 3+ hours East of SF though.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
groovygirl927
Mouseketeer

I love SF. I have only gone twice but my daughter goes to school there. When I went I got the city pass. there are many different musuems that you can get in with it but the best part is your city pass is a bus pass (the bus system is pretty easy to figure out) We went everywhere on the bus. We road the bus to the goldne gate bridge then walked across.

Love chinatown. Our second trip there we went there twice just to eat. We also went to golden gate park. the pier. We road the cable cars to Chinatown but used the bus more (cable cars can have long wait at times) We went to fishermans warf and pier 39. We found an inexpensive place to eat down there (I can't remember what it was called) but it is a walk up window to order and has some benches to sit on outside) There clam chowder in a bread bowl and there fish and chips were very good.

Two things I haven't done and want to do is go to Walt Disney museum and Alcatraz. Didn't go to walt Disney Museum because we couldn't fit it in and Alcatraz books up fast. book tour before you go.

When do you plan on going I can ask my daughter she spends a lot of weekends exploring the city
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
thealfi
Mouseketeer

I'm a resident of San Francisco!
You should definitely visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. It's in the Presidio area. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but what they have in the museum is amazing, especially for Disney fans.

Visit the California Academy of Sciences; it's a great place for children and adults. The zoo is also pretty fun. I would also recommend visiting Chinatown for some delicious food (I think it's yummy ).

While you're in the area, you could visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, and Great America in Santa Clara. They're just a short distance away from SF.

Trip Report - Disneyland Resort - July 4th-5th
thealfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

If you want to know what to see, there is an offer that may interest you or at least be a simple guide to the top attractions.
http://www.citypass.com/san-francisco

That Aquarium isn't a great one but interests a lot of people.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
GrazingGoat1966
Mouseketeer

A couple of suggestions from your original post. On your way up there, try to take in Hearst Castle just North of San Simeon. Fascinating place but you probably need to set aside the best part of half a day by the time you do the tour and film.....but it's so worth it. In San Fran, we always stay at the Columbus Motor Inn. Check it out online. Free parking (which is rare in SF) and only about half a dozen blocks from Fisherman's wharf. Pretty safe and has a takeaway and a bar/restaurant right over the road. San Fran is one of the World's great cities. Enjoy your trip!!
1997 Dec Disneyland Anaheim and WDW Florida
2006 Sep Disneyland Anaheim
2008 Sep Disneyland Anaheim and WDW Florida
2010 Sep WDW Florida
2013 Sep WDW Florida
2016 Dec WDW Florida (Already planning for the big 5oh)
GrazingGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

We visit San Francisco 3-5x's a year. We always stay in the Marina Dist. (Cow Hollow) we stay at the Travellodge Golden Gate on the corner of Lombard and Steiner. Cheap, clean and free parking. Not luxurious by any means but close to the main bus lines, lots of shops and cafe's and a really nice neighborhood.

I also suggest a CityPass, not only does it give you a good deal for several attractions it also includes unlimited Muni and Cable Cars for 7 days.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: