Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
mmbrad02
Mouseketeer

Peabody Hotel?

First off, I am the type that "When in Orlando, you do Disney". DH and I have gone twice... flew in, took Magical Express, stayed onsite, and did all things Disney. However, this trip is a little different and a little last minute!

DH will be attending a conference at the Peabody Hotel on I-Drive December 8-11. The hotel, food, and airline ticket is covered by the conference/his employer (for him), and we are looking at myself and our one year old just going along for the ride. However, I don't really want to go and just sit in the hotel all day!

Our plan now is to stay until the 12, and since his conference itinerary says "Departure" for the agenda on the 11th, our plan is to spend the 11th at the Magic Kingdom. (We will also move on the 11th to Disney property for one night). What we can do on the 12th will depend on our plane departure, but had thought about maybe a character breakfast or something (outside of the parks, as I'm not sure I want to pay for another full day's worth of tickets if we only have a couple of hours).

Anyways, can anyone tell me about the area around the Peabody hotel? WHen DH first mentioned this trip, I figured me and our daughter would go to Disney parks while he is in his conference. Seemed easy enough at first, but I have so many things to consider that it is overwhelming... First, the drive from the Peabody to WDW. Yes, I figure I am capable, but I'm not familiar with the area. Is it a hard drive? Next up, I will have a baby to deal with, which is a first for me at WDW. She is a good traveler, for what that is worth. ANd then I failed to consider that I don't really want to be out after dark by myself (parks don't scare me, but the parking lots and driving back to the hotel is a little intimidating).

I know the Peabody has the duck parade and a kiddie pool (not sure if it will be warm enough?) so I was wondering if maybe we could just spend one day playing around there. But wondering about Day 2. Would you go to WDW in our situation? Is there more activities closer to the hotel?

Thanks for any advice you can offer

1984 - Offsite
1991 - Offsite
2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
2008 - Pop Century

2011 - All Star Movies - Baby's First Trip!
September 2014 - Coronado Springs
mmbrad02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
queendisney
DIS Veteran

The driving is very straight forward from there to WDW as you hotel will be at the end of I-drive nearest to Disney. But if you are finding it a bit daunting because of the reasons you stated maybe you could consider going to SeaWorld instead as that is VERY close to your hotel.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
mmbrad02
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your response! It makes me feel better knowing that it should be an easy drive it we chose to drive Disney. I've never been to Sea World so maybe we will inquire into that. With a baby in a stroller, could you still watch shows and that sort of thing easily? (given she cooperates!) I will start looking for Sea World deals

An off site Disney question - if I chose to take her and go there, can I actually walk the parking lot or is it so big that I would need to take a ride on the train type thing that they provide (well, used to - it's been 20 years since I've been an "outsider" at Disney!)

Is there anything to do within walking distance of the Peabody - like shops/mall, etc?

1984 - Offsite
1991 - Offsite
2008 - Pop Century

Old 10-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

There are a few restaurants that are walking distance and you could walk to Pointe Orlando (outdoor speciality type mall). On the other end of I Drive is the outlets and you can easily (well it will take forever with the traffic but it is straight) drive there. There is also the Trolley that will pick up and drop off along I Drive.

The Peabody is beautiful though and you should be fine spending time there.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
mmbrad02
Mouseketeer

Yay, I'm loving the sound of a trolley! I looked on the trolley map and it appears it runs close to Sea World as well - does anyone know if that's true or not?

1984 - Offsite
1991 - Offsite
2008 - Pop Century

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Epcotopia
Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time....

It does circle into a side parking lot at SW. It also makes a stop at Aquatica. For the ride itself, its great to view the highlight along I-drive! Last I recall the day ticket with unlimited usage was $4 and 3 day was $6......well worth it in my opinion.

They also might sell convention tickets at the hotels for convention goers....usually around $60+ after 12pm for SW but your husband will have to buy them with his convention badge.
Epcotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
mmbrad02
Mouseketeer

I don't think we'll be venturing to any parks while DH is in his conference. I've gone back and forth on the idea, but we are going to have two family days at Disney now after the conference, and probably some time at Downtown Disney before we fly home on the last day, so I think we'll try to save some money while he is in his conference. I think we'll spend Friday "touring" the Peabody, swim if it's warm enough, etc. On Saturday DH has "leisure" time from 1-5 during his conference - does anyone have any suggestions for something we could do as a family (DH, myself, and a one year old) during that time period? We'll have a car and can go anywhere.

I was looking over the trolley map and it appears there are two sets of outlets, one going each direction - is one better than the other or easier to access? This might also be something my daughter and I do on Friday by ourselves, so looking for the best option (mainly accessability).

You all have been great, I appreciate all the help!

1984 - Offsite
1991 - Offsite
2008 - Pop Century

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

The Peabody is on International Drive which is a major tourist area full of attractions,restaurants,shopping and entertainment complexes like Pointe Orlando.The I-Drive corridor goes from the Orlando Premium outlets International Drive location on the north end and continues south towards the Orlando Premium Outlets Vineland Ave location close to the southern end.The Peabody is near the center around the convention center which is one of the nicer areas,you'll find the 3 Sea World parks just south of the convention center area with Universal on the other side of I-4 closer to the northern end.As far as getting to Disney,it's super simple,if you have no problems taking the expressway the easiest way would be to go south on I-Drive and get on the Beachline (528) which will end within a mile of getting on it,you will then take I-4 west towards Tampa and the Disney exits will be about 6-7 miles away so the whole trip should be no more than 20 minutes.There area also several ways to get to the Disney area taking ground streets if you want to avoid I-4,these might take a bit longer but not too much more.You can take I-Drive south all the way until it ends at 536,turn right and just continue on this road which will become Epcot center Dr.Another way is to take I-Drive to Vineland Ave like if going to the Vineland outlets and just follow Vineland until it hits 535 turn right and after you go under the I-4 overpass you will see the Hotel Plaza Blvd Disney entrance on the left which leads to DTD.There are other ground streets to get to Disney but I won't complicate it.