Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #421
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,911

It may be just me, but some of these pictures make me think that perhaps you live in Whoville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
...All the Who girls and boys
Would wake up bright and early. They'd rush for their toys!


And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!



That's one thing he hated! The NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!



Then the Whos, young and old, would sit down to a feast.
And they'd feast! And they'd feast!



And they'd FEAST! FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!



They would start on Who-pudding, and rare Who-roast-beast
Which was something the Grinch couldn't stand in the least!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Wonderful pictures as usual! Especially the firework shots. Are you for hire to take our vacation photos?
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #422
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo
 
usnuzuloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 132,517

Who-ville , Gotta love it! You always deliver great shots of everything. Moomba sounds like fun there.But its interesting that its your Labor day.

Reality sets in when you pack and leave. The count down clock is ticking away, it will be here before you know it! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
A Carnival cruise.....with a chicken. TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....54201&posted=1
usnuzuloose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #423
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 48,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post





This has to be my favorite shot...
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #424
kmedina
Loves all things Disney
 
kmedina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WDW for adults
Posts: 4,771

Your Day Three looks like a lot of fun even though you have to leave Disney. Hong Kong seems like an amazing city (even dare I say it without Disney). I never heard of Moomba before. It looks like an awesome Who-Ville celebration. Not being able to eat any of that yoummy food stinks. You must have awesome will power. The fireworks on the water look gorgeous.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #425
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 23,243

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
(Continued from Previous Post)
The floats were suitably decorated by Melbourne standards.



(Continued in Next Post)
Now I want to know more about this contraption! Who is steering?

How does that saxophone player, pedal and play at the same time? We're not trained for that kind of dexterity!!!!!
__________________
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #426
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
It may be just me, but some of these pictures make me think that perhaps you live in Whoville...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Wonderful pictures as usual! Especially the firework shots. Are you for hire to take our vacation photos?
I wish I had thought of Whoville! Would have been great to write it!

Are you offering to pay for me to fly to Cairns and the Whitsundays so I take your vacay photos? DEAL!



Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Who-ville , Gotta love it! You always deliver great shots of everything. Moomba sounds like fun there.But its interesting that its your Labor day.

Reality sets in when you pack and leave. The count down clock is ticking away, it will be here before you know it! Thanks for sharing.
For me, reality doesn't set in until I'm sitting on the plane enjoying that orange juice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
This has to be my favorite shot...
I thought it turned out well too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Your Day Three looks like a lot of fun even though you have to leave Disney. Hong Kong seems like an amazing city (even dare I say it without Disney). I never heard of Moomba before. It looks like an awesome Who-Ville celebration. Not being able to eat any of that yoummy food stinks. You must have awesome will power. The fireworks on the water look gorgeous.
No will power. That's why I didn't even bother looking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Now I want to know more about this contraption! Who is steering?

How does that saxophone player, pedal and play at the same time? We're not trained for that kind of dexterity!!!!!

I had a feeling you might like the contraption.

Seems like the man in front steers...




..the others pedal and play.





But they do occassionally stop and then they all play.

Are you going to raise this at your next band meeting?
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #427
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Day by Day Account - Day 4


Day 4 and we're no longer in Disney!

We have the whole of Hong Kong to explore and I'm going to try and dial down the pace of the touring. I somehow suspect that my dad will need a downright snail's pace in order to keep up with the rest of us.

One of the benefits of choosing the hotel we'll be staying at is that we are practically on top of a mall. We will have the Metropolis Mall food court within 1 minute's walk of the hotel. I suspect that this will be our breakfast court for the next 8 mornings.

I've checked it out and we will have a wide selection of food....as long as we choose rice, noodles or congee....it's a wide selection.

So for the baconholics amongst us, I doubt there will be bacon porn on this trip.

So, my current thinking for day 4 is as follows:
  • Get up and have breakfast at the Metropolis Mall.
  • Make our way towards Central station and check out the walking trail for the Central and Western District. This trail will mean that we get to check out:
    • Historic buildings from the colonial era (Central Magistracy building, Victoria Prison Compound, St John's Church)
    • Western Market
    • Wing Lok Street (Ginseng and Bird's Nest Street)
    • Des Voeux Road West (Dried Seafood Street)
    • Ko Shing Street (Herbal Medicine Street)
    • Hollywood Road (Antiques Street)
    • Upper Lascar Row (Cat Street)
    • Man Mo Temple
    • Lan Kwai Fong (although we might want to come back here at night for the bars and restaurants...hmmm...with the Olds and DS...maybe not)
    • Duddell Street Steps and Gas Lamps (definitely need to head back at night)
    We will definitely be passing by the Central Mid Levels Escalator and if we're still feeling energetic, we might also cover off the Garden Road Walk as well.
    If so, we'll be passing by more historic buildings, gardens and heading up to the Peak.
  • When the group is tired, we'll catch the train back to the hotel and rest up.
  • Dinner will most likely be somewhere in Kowloon.
  • Depending how we feel, weather and what we did the night before, we'll either head to the Night Market or go to the Avenue of the Stars for the Light show.
  • Head back to hotel and get some sleep.





__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #428
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Sounds like a lot to do and see...

Good luck with that

ADORE THE FIREWORKS SHOTS!!!!!
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #429
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Sounds like a lot to do and see...

Good luck with that

ADORE THE FIREWORKS SHOTS!!!!!
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #430
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Day by Day Account - Day 5


Day 5 and by my accounting, today is Ching Ming Festival day (public holiday) in Hong Kong. Ching Ming translates to "clear and bright" and is Grave Sweeping or Spring Rememberance Day. This is the day when Chinese families show their respect by visiting the graves of their ancestors to clear away weeds, touch up gravestone inscriptions and make offerings of wine and fruit. I gather that public transport is widely used.

I had originally thought we might be heading back to Lantau Island today and going to see the Giant Buddha, Po Lin Monastery and follow the Wisdom Path. However, I might swap today with yesterday in reality. I don't particularly relish the thought of visiting the Giant Buddha and climbing steps with lots of other people around me.

So, my current thinking for day 5 (which I might swap for day 4) is as follows:
  • Get up and have breakfast at the Metropolis Mall.
  • Make our way towards Tung Chung station and check out:
    • Tung Chung shops
    • Po Lin Monastery
    • Ngong Ping (where the Buddha is)
    • Wisdom Path, an outdoor replica of the Heart Sutra, one of the best knows prayers revered by Confucians, Buddhists and Taoists alike.
    I'm hoping that we get to catch the glass floor cable car for a more spectacular view.
  • When the group is tired, we'll catch the train back to the hotel and rest up.
  • I'm sure we'll find somewhere to eat dinner.
  • Depending how we feel, I'm hoping to head out towards Aberdeen to see the Jumbo Kingdom floating restaurant lights and maybe head towards Stanley Market as well.
  • Head back to hotel and get some sleep.





__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #431
kmedina
Loves all things Disney
 
kmedina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WDW for adults
Posts: 4,771

Day four seems like a really busy day. At least, day five does not seem as busy. You can recover a little.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #432
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Day by Day Account - Day 5


Day 5 and by my accounting, today is Ching Ming Festival day (public holiday) in Hong Kong. Ching Ming translates to "clear and bright" and is Grave Sweeping or Spring Rememberance Day. This is the day when Chinese families show their respect by visiting the graves of their ancestors to clear away weeds, touch up gravestone inscriptions and make offerings of wine and fruit. I gather that public transport is widely used.

I had originally thought we might be heading back to Lantau Island today and going to see the Giant Buddha, Po Lin Monastery and follow the Wisdom Path. However, I might swap today with yesterday in reality. I don't particularly relish the thought of visiting the Giant Buddha and climbing steps with lots of other people around me.

So, my current thinking for day 5 (which I might swap for day 4) is as follows:
  • Get up and have breakfast at the Metropolis Mall.
  • Make our way towards Tung Chung station and check out:
    • Tung Chung shops
    • Po Lin Monastery
    • Ngong Ping (where the Buddha is)
    • Wisdom Path, an outdoor replica of the Heart Sutra, one of the best knows prayers revered by Confucians, Buddhists and Taoists alike.
    I'm hoping that we get to catch the glass floor cable car for a more spectacular view.
  • When the group is tired, we'll catch the train back to the hotel and rest up.
  • I'm sure we'll find somewhere to eat dinner.
  • Depending how we feel, I'm hoping to head out towards Aberdeen to see the Jumbo Kingdom floating restaurant lights and maybe head towards Stanley Market as well.
  • Head back to hotel and get some sleep.





The glass bottom car is WELL worth the extra money just for the fact you get on MUCH faster. Especially more significant on the way back.
When I was leaving the queue for the Crystal cars was very short. For the normal ones very long.
All the tour groups seem to use the normal ones.
I was worried there weren't many crystal cars but they are very frequent.
They put less people in each car as the queue clears quickly (when I was travelling on it) but JAM people into the regular ones.
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #433
skier_pete
DIS Veteran
 
skier_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I wish I had thought of Whoville! Would have been great to write it!

Are you offering to pay for me to fly to Cairns and the Whitsundays so I take your vacay photos? DEAL!
Well, perhaps if we win the lottery between now and then! Otherwise I have no budget line item for "professional photography". Darn!
__________________

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #434
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Day four seems like a really busy day. At least, day five does not seem as busy. You can recover a little.
DH, DS and I normally set a cracking commando pace. I am a little worried my dad won't be able to keep up....so I'm hoping that the pace will even out between days.

Otherwise, there might well be fireworks....between my dad and me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
The glass bottom car is WELL worth the extra money just for the fact you get on MUCH faster. Especially more significant on the way back.
When I was leaving the queue for the Crystal cars was very short. For the normal ones very long.
All the tour groups seem to use the normal ones.
I was worried there weren't many crystal cars but they are very frequent.
They put less people in each car as the queue clears quickly (when I was travelling on it) but JAM people into the regular ones.
That's really encouraging to know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Well, perhaps if we win the lottery between now and then! Otherwise I have no budget line item for "professional photography". Darn!
At least I'll be around when you get to Melbourne.
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #435
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 92,063

Day by Day Account - Day 6


Day 6 and I'm hoping that we'll make it to Ocean Park today. It is located at the Aberdeen/Repulse Bay side of Hong Kong Island and seems reasonably easy to get to via MTR.

Entry fee for an adult is HK$280, which roughly equates to about $40. Entry fee for kids is HK$140 (about $20).

The main reason for visiting Ocean Park will be to see Panda bears. Any of the other shows (birds, marine mammals etc) will be a bonus.

I figure this will be a pretty full day, so we'll probably head back to the hotel and if we haven't already eaten, we can eat at the food court in the Metropolis Mall.




__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: