Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #331
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

“You didn’t turn in your paperwork. This office is now closed”.....YAAAAAAAH!

“You didn’t turn in your paperwork. This office is now closed”.....YAAAAAAAH!

A scene from Monsters Inc.
Roz: “You didn’t turn in your paperwork last night.”
Mike: He didn’t….I…no paperwork?
Roz: “This office is now closed”
[Roz closes the window on Mike's fingers]
Mike: YAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Right now, I feel just like poor Mike Wazowski!

Today, I took my parents into the China Visa Centre to sort out our visas for Shenzhen. Our equivalent scene went something like this…..

[It’s 9 am in the morning and we walk into China Visa Centre. The front door duty guard hands us a piece of paper and gives us an electronic ticket number. Take a seat and wait.]

Dad: What’s that paper?

[Hand paper over. Dad looks at it, whilst looking for his glasses which he didn’t bring with him. The paper floats to the floor and my dad is searching for his non-existent glasses.]

Me: Mum, can you please pass that paper to me?

[Mum bends down to pick the paper off the floor. When she straightens up, she grimaces in pain.]

Mum: I think I pulled a muscle in my back.
Me: Oh no!

Mum: Don’t worry, I’ll manage.

[Mum hands me the piece of paper and turns to talk to Dad. I read the paper.]

[Mum and Dad continue to ignore me.]

Me: Oh no! I think they want us to provide a copy of our airline ticket and our hotel reservation. This wasn’t on their website!

[Mum and Dad continue to ignore me.]

[Wait for the next 35 minutes before our number is called. Walk up to the counter, where Chinese Roz is making hand gestures. We hand over our forms and passports to her.]

Chinese Roz: Where are you staying in China?
Me: We are staying in Hong Kong and want to do two day trips into Shenzhen.

Chinese Roz: You ask for two time entry into China. Where are you staying?
Me: We are staying in Hong Kong for 11 nights. We want to visit Shenzhen twice for one day each time.

Chinese Roz: Where is your hotel in Shenzhen?
Me: We go into Shenzhen and come back to Hong Kong in the same day.

Chinese Roz: Why you go twice?
Me: We are asking for the visa just in case we want to go twice.

Chinese Roz: Where are you staying in Shenzhen?
Me: Not staying in Shenzhen. Staying in Hong Kong.

Chinese Roz: But you ask to go into Shenzhen twice. Where are you staying? I need to see your hotel confirmation.
Me: I don’t have my hotel confirmation or airline confirmation with me. I have them at home.

Chinese Roz: Policy. We must have the hotel confirmation and airline ticket in name of all applicants.
Me: Airline ticket is in everyone’s individual name. Hotel confirmation only has one name on it.

Chinese Roz: Policy. We must have the hotel confirmation and airline ticket in name of all applicants.
Me: This requirement was not listed on your website.

Chinese Roz: Policy since December. We must have the hotel confirmation and airline ticket in name of all applicants.

[Pause and wait whilst Chinese Roz flicks through all the 5 application forms and passports. Afterwhich, Chinese Roz pushes all application forms and passports back across the counter towards me.]

Chinese Roz: You email me your hotel confirmation and airline tickets in name of all applicants. I check back-office and if it arrive, I process.
Me: But I don’t have access to my computer now.

Chinese Roz: You come back when I get hotel confirmation and airline ticket in name of all applicants. (aka This office is now closed!)
Me: *sigh* (aka YAAAAAAAAH!)

[Pick up all passports and paperwork before turning and heading to a quiet corner. Get mobile phone out and dial a number.]

Me: Hello? [TA name]. We’re at the China Visa Center and there is a problem. Aside from wanting a photocopy of the passport and a photocopy of the last china visa (which we did have because the TA told me this was new policy), they also want us to provide a copy of the hotel confirmation and airline ticket. I have an email address and name. Can you email them for me?
TA: I’m not at work yet and don’t have access. This is new policy.
Me: Yes. Thanks anyway.

[End call and dial another number.]

Me: Hello? [DH name]. We’re at the China Visa Center and there is a problem. They also want us to provide a copy of the hotel confirmation and airline ticket. I have an email address and name. Can you email them for me?
DH: I don’t think I have the electronic copies.
Me: Yes you do. I emailed them to you when I got them.
DH: I will check…..

[Pause and wait whilst DH checks his PC.]

DH: Hello? I have the airline tickets but not the hotel confirmation.
Me: Can you go to my laptop and log in to my email?
DH: Can’t this wait????

[Pause and count to 20.]

DH: I’m at your laptop. Where do I go?
Me: Log into my work account. Here’s where you go [url address given] and my username [I’m not stupid enough to actually type any of it here] and password [ditto on the not stupid enough]…..
DH: I can’t log in. Let me try again.

[Pause and count to 20.]

DH: It’s telling me that your account has been closed. Contact a system administrator.
Me: WHAT!!?????!!

DH: It’s telling me that your account has been closed. Contact a system administrator.
Me: Wh…Ho…..Fu……YAAAAAAAAH!

[Pause and count to 20.]

Me: Thanks anyway.

[Hang up and turn to talk to my parents.]

Me: Let’s go. We can’t do anything right now.
Mum: We can come back later.

Me: Not today…I’m not driving home and driving back here again.
Mum: Dad and I can come back tomorrow.

Me: Okay. Thanks.
Dad: What’s going on?

[Mum turns to Dad and tries to explain the situation whilst we are walking back to the car.]

[Get in the car and proceed to drive home.]

Me: This is ridiculous. It’s just a one day visa to enter China that we want just in case we want to visit.
Mum: And it is expensive. The two time entry visa is $127 per person. That’s nearly $600 for the 5 of us.

Me: That person behind the counter was so officious and I’m not sure I wanna go to Shenzhen anymore.
Mum: We don’t have to go.
Dad: Yes. We don’t have to go.

Me: Really? I wasn’t sure whether we wanted to go to Shenzhen anyway….it was just to get the visa in case we wanted to go.
Mum: We don’t have to go. In fact, we can save the money and put it towards a really nice high tea in Hong Kong.
Dad: Yes, save the money.

Me: We can do two high teas for that price.
Mum: Okay. That sounds like a good alternative.
Me: We can do a normal high tea and do the high tea at the InterContinental.
Dad: Sure.
Mum: Maybe we could go twice to Macau……

[Ignore last comment and proceed to drive home.]

And that, folks, was the China Syndrome meltdown that I had today.

The upshot is that we have decided to that the China entry visa is not worth applying for. We will keep this trip exclusively to Hong Kong and Macau.

DH and I did discuss things when I got back….we will keep dreaming of that China trip we want to do and save the Getting of the Visa for that trip.

For anyone reading this and planning a trip to China as a tourist...just remember the current policy in Australia is that you need to take:
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • A photocopy of your LAST Chinese Visa issued (and if this was in a different passport, take a photocopy of that passport just in case)
  • A copy of your airline ticket, with return journey
  • A copy of all your hotel accommodation confirmations or group tour itinerary

For anyone seeking a family and friend Visit visa, you will need to produce:
  • An invitation letter from that person confirming that they have invited you there.
  • A photocopy of the inviter's Chinese ID card or their passport (if they are Chinese) or a photocopy of the Inviter's Chinese Visa (if they are non-Chinese)

I don't know what you need to produce if you're on a business visit!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #332
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I am so sorry! What a horrible melt down. Now A I am going to proceed to this.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #333
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Oh what a nightmare! But thanks for the info - will come in very handy when we are planning our trip to China. What happens if you haven't had a Chinese visa before?

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #334
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Wow! I wondered why you weren't around and posting on your day off. Obviously you were dealing with much more pressing issues than TRs and other silly things like that.

We just watched Monsters Inc. the other night so I can totally hear Roz....You didn't turn in your paperwork!

Sorry that she didn't turn out to be a government spy working on your behalf to get you into China!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #335
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I am so sorry! What a horrible melt down. Now A I am going to proceed to this.

There was something very Monty Pythonesque about the whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Oh what a nightmare! But thanks for the info - will come in very handy when we are planning our trip to China. What happens if you haven't had a Chinese visa before?
Then you don't need to submit a photocopy of a blank page.

Seriously....we just left that section of the form blank or did I write N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Wow! I wondered why you weren't around and posting on your day off. Obviously you were dealing with much more pressing issues than TRs and other silly things like that.

We just watched Monsters Inc. the other night so I can totally hear Roz....You didn't turn in your paperwork!

Sorry that she didn't turn out to be a government spy working on your behalf to get you into China!
It's all good. It made the 50:50 decision about going to Shenzhen firmly in the 100% not going camp.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #336
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

so sorry for such a bad experience... Glad it is over.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #337
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
so sorry for such a bad experience... Glad it is over.
Welcome back Brandi!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #338
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Hats off to you for being so calm cool and collected, I think I would have been going crazy.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #339
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Welcome back Brandi!

thanks...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #340
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Wow!

DH travels to Mexico, many co workers travel to China. I know DH feels lucky. I can see why!

Bobbi
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #341
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Hats off to you for being so calm cool and collected, I think I would have been going crazy.
I wasn't convinced about going to Shenzhen in the first place. The visa would have given us the option to consider going. This way, the decision is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Wow!

DH travels to Mexico, many co workers travel to China. I know DH feels lucky. I can see why!

Bobbi

Thanks for stopping by again!

I think if you're travelling to China proper and doing a tour or on business..you'd have the appropriate documentation, hotels, flights etc. I just think that the Chinese Roz just didn't get the concept of 2 x day trip entries into Shenzhen.

I figure the visa will be a lot easier to get if/when we decide to do that 2 or 3 week tour round China that we've always talked about. It is on the list..and if there is going to be a Shanghai Disney; well..I guess it might happen at some stage.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #342
PrincessInOz
in

5 weeks to go!!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #343
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

5 weeks to go!!

Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #344
PrincessInOz
in

As they say “When you’re on a good thing, stick with it!”….Disney Fuzzy Maths revisit

As they say “When you’re on a good thing, stick with it!”….Disney Fuzzy Maths revisited.

Sometime in the last 2 weeks, Hong Kong Disneyland came up with their special offers that extend past 31 March 2012. I got really excited when I saw that the 3 night long stay special offer was back up and running.

This special provides guests staying 3 nights or more at one of the Disneyland resort hotels with up to 20% off. Those of you that might remember….the Disney Fuzzy Maths (DFM) for my current situation works out as follows:
  • My current room discount is 20% off because I got my senior parents to purchase the Gold Magic Access Pass. This saves us about $350 for the 3 nights in total.
  • There is a gap of about $50 per senior, $100 in total, for the difference between the 2-day senior ticket and the senior Magic Access Pass.
  • There were other benefits associated with the Gold Magic Access Pass such as 15% discount off dining and 15% discount off merchandise. I figured that with DH and myself paying the difference in my parent’s tickets, we’d more than make the pass pay for itself just on room savings alone (currently at a net of $250).

With the release of the Long Stay special offer, I wondered how the DFM would stack up. So, I’ve spent some time today going over the fine print and running some numbers.

Turns out that for our dates, we would qualify for a 15% discount on the first night and as best as I can work out, 15% off the second and third night. I also decided to get an on-line quote from the website.

I think Hong Kong Disneyland room rates have gone up since I got my current deal. Even taking the 15% discount into account, the room rate alone seems to be $50 per room MORE than when I locked my deal in at the start of the year.

I think I’ll stick with what I’ve already got!

NOTE:

For those interested, there are two other accommodation deals:
  • Room and 2-day ticket package. Based on the numbers I ran, the discount seems to be running at around 20% for this deal.
  • Early Bird Offer. Book your hotel accommodation at least 45 days in advance and receive 20% discount.

There are also some dining deals on the website:
  • HK$50 discount per adult for dining at the Enchanted Garden dinner buffet at the Disneyland Resort Hotel, a 10% discount.
  • HK$80 discount per adult for dining at Chef Micket dinner buffet at the Disneyland Hollywood Hotel, a 25% discount.
  • There seems to be a 3-in-1 Meal Coupon available until 31 March, which is not in my travel period. It seems to be a single day equivalent to the Quick Service Dining Plan at the World. 1 x lunch coupon, 1 x dinner coupon and 1 x snack coupon and the dining places seem to offer counter service meals. This costs HK$125, a discount of 20%.

Seems like the Magic Access Pass benefits are well worth the extra $ we are paying for it!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #345
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Sounds like the best deal. Sometimes with the early savers there are so many restrictions with them. That thing I pm'd you? It is basically a way as our own , you know what I get paid for it. I dont do it for others. So that is a bonus for every travel need.

As long as your happy with what you have is all that counts.

Not much longer......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: