Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #316
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
2 month Countdown Check-in

There is 2 months to go before this trip and I thought I'd do a quick check-in. I've organised the following:
  • Flights - all paid
  • Disney for my parents - all paid
  • Disney for us - booked and one night paid for. I'm going to see how the dollar tracks after this weekend and might pay my balance out in full next week.
  • Kowloon accommodation - all paid (both for my parents and for us)
  • Travel insurance - all paid and organised
  • Currency - in progress, some AUD converted over the HKD already.
  • Leave - all approved for DH and myself.
  • Passports - checked and there is stacks of valid time left on the passports for all 3 of us. I'm going to have to check that my parents also have equally valid passports.

I've printed out copies of the e-tix as well as the accommodation confirmations. I need to print out the travel insurance..........although.....come to think of it, I think I printed this out at work and forgot to pick it off the printer.

I still have to organise the visas for China; but the forms are nearly filled out. I just need to update the travel insurance question with my policy number and the paperwork will be ready. I'm just waiting on my parents to complete their paperwork before organising a time to hand in the forms at the Visa Centre in Melbourne.

Congrats.

Quote:
After this, it's just a matter of getting more currency and working out seat allocations.

I know an airline where you can do that the minute you book and move yourself around as you please online
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #317
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
I know an airline where you can do that the minute you book and move yourself around as you please online

Does it have in-seat entertainment?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #318
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Yup....BYO!!!
And extra legroom
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #319
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Yup....BYO!!!
And extra legroom

That's a PITA and I need the extra space for my (camera) body in my carry-on. We need 24 hour access to entertainment to keep DS occupied. BYO means 2 - 4 hours only.

And as DH and I are vertically challenged, extra legroom is nice; but not needed.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #320
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Quote:
That's a PITA and I need the extra space for my (camera) body in my carry-on. We need 24 hour access to entertainment to keep DS occupied. BYO means 2 - 4 hours only.

And as DH and I are vertically challenged, extra legroom is nice; but not needed.

You don't want to sit in front of me when I'm in a 'regular' seat.

I can be a REAL PITA with my knees in your back...
Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #321
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
You don't want to sit in front of me when I'm in a 'regular' seat.

I can be a REAL PITA with my knees in your back...
You and I are currently flying in different carriers. Won't happen for a while.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #322
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

2 months... that is awesome...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #323
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
2 months... that is awesome...
It's sure getting close.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #324
PrincessInOz
in

“The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step”....Shenzhen

“The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step” Lao Tzu

DH and I have long wanted to travel to China. So, it is appropriate that the quote for this post comes from the Chinese Philosopher, Lao Tzu. Whilst Hong Kong and Macau are now part of China, to the minds of X-gen people like DH and myself, so close and yet so far! But this trip will bring us a lot closer to our first step into China than any other trip we’ve taken.

Shenzhen is situated in Guangdong province about 40 km north of Hong Kong downtown. It is apparently a major city and the area is China’s first Special Economic Zone, one of the most successful.
(These zones are afforded with special tax incentives for foreign investments and great independence on international trade activities.)

Travel from Tsim Sha Tsui to Shenzhen takes about 45 minutes by MTR, which makes this Chinese city an attractive day trip option from Hong Kong…should one wish to go. Importantly for DH and myself, it will give us our first taste…our first step…into China.

In researching things to do in Shenzhen, I have discovered that there are a number of ‘theme park’ activities. One in particular – Splendid China – appeals to me. It contains scaled down replicas of Chinas historic buildings and culture. If you’re thinking Great Wall of China, Terracotta Warriors, Forbidden City and the like, you’re spot on the mark. Admission fee is listed at around $15 - $20, which includes the ticket to the China Folk Culture Villages, right next door.
There are a number of ways to get here…bus, taxi, subway.

There is another theme park in Shenzhen that intrigues me…Window to the World. Scaled replicas of Angkor Wat, Niagara Falls, the Sphinz and Pyramids, Colloseum and even the Grand Canyon. Why would anyone travel the world?

I’m not even going to mention Happy Valley theme park, which is the #1 theme park in Shenzhen.

But really….it’s the shopping that draws people to Shenzhen. With the mix of genuine and knock-off designer goods, there is sure to be plenty of bargains and rip-offs to experience in Shenzhen. If shopping is on the cards, I would be tempted to check out Dongmen Pedestrian Street, Rainbow Department Store, MixC Mall.

At this stage, I’m making sure I have the option to head to Shenzhen. That means organising a Chinese Visa, the first one for DH and myself.
Still waiting on my parents to pass me their completed forms and I will be chasing them this week for this.

One Step at a time!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #325
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Less than 2 months now! My favorite dragon was the pink one. and I loved the fireworks photos, especially the last one. I didn't get to Shenzen when I went to HK. It sounded a little too scary for me. The language barrier in HK was enough. I promise to do the last day of HK on my blog before you leave. We did Ngong Ping and the big Buddha.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #326
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Less than 2 months now! My favorite dragon was the pink one. and I loved the fireworks photos, especially the last one. I didn't get to Shenzen when I went to HK. It sounded a little too scary for me. The language barrier in HK was enough. I promise to do the last day of HK on my blog before you leave. We did Ngong Ping and the big Buddha.
Looking forward to your blog. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #327
PrincessInOz
in

“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea”…let’s talk about High Tea

“There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea” Henry James

As a child growing up in Asia, I remember many many weekend afternoons where my parents would drag us kids round to the various establishments offering their version of the High Tea. In the rose tinted faded memories of my youth, I remember platters of delectable sweet delights, sandwiches and cakes.

The traditions of this experience start by simply adding the leaves of Camillia sinensis to hot water and the brewing of an aromatic beverage known as tea. After water, tea used to be the most widely consumed beverage in the world…only recently surpassed by coffee.

Tea plants are native to East and South Asia and were only introduced into Europe by the Portuguese in the 16th Century. Those of you who are Asterix fans will remember that in one of the books, Asterix in Britain, Getafix brewed the ‘magic potion’ for the Britains to defeat Julius Caeser…which turns out to be tea!

The English would add food consumption to the experience of tea. So it is that I will be chasing rainbows and imagined delectables in Hong Kong. The colonial legacy of a High Tea is alive and strong among the city hoteliers.

(I did toy with the idea of experiencing a High Tea in the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort but given that the city hoteliers are more renowned, we opted for the special Dim Sum instead.)

Researching High Tea in Hong Kong, there were various lists of the best High Teas hotels in Hong Kong (The Peninsula Hotel, Mandarin Oriental hotel, Four Seasons, Shangri-La, InterContinental, Grand Hyatt) as well as non-hotel establishments (Cantopop, Antique Patisserie, Crabtree and Evelyn).

The one that appeals to me is the Chocolate Library at the Ritz Carlton. The Chocolate Library is located on the 103rd floor and as the name suggests…lays out a chocolate version of the High Tea. Okay….maybe it’s the fact that there might be a fantastic view to shoot from the 103rd floor that appeals to me….but you got to admit that a Chocolate High Tea might be something worth considering as well.

My mother and I differ on this point. She would prefer one of the more traditional versions and isn’t that keen on the Chocolate Library.
That being the case, I suspect it may come down to a choice between the Island Shangri-La and the InterContinental. I’m leaning towards the InterContinental, which takes bookings. One thing that seems to be different to the High Teas of my childhood…the food is not a buffet and all you can eat. Rather, it is served on tiered silver trays.

I suspect this will be one of those experiences that will be weather dependent. May we have a rainy afternoon and a couple of hours to spare for this experience!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #328
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Chocolate tea? That might be worth a taste. I might have to experiment with that at home. If you try it tell us. I would love to see pics of that room. Are you going there?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #329
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

So I missed a bunch of updates while I was gone!

So I'm confused about this trip....remember us having a discussion about someone writing "non-linear" trip reports?

Have you worked out a timeline for your trip? I know you are going to Disney first. You have your accomodations worked out for the rest of the trip right? Have you worked out when you will go to Shenzen, tea and what was that other place that now I can't remember?

For those like me are you going to work out a schedule? or are you just going to be Vagabonds and decide what to do the morning you wake up, or the night before you go?

I know it's not MY trip!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #330
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Chocolate tea? That might be worth a taste. I might have to experiment with that at home. If you try it tell us. I would love to see pics of that room. Are you going there?
If I make it to the Chocolate high tea, I will do my utmost to get pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So I missed a bunch of updates while I was gone!

So I'm confused about this trip....remember us having a discussion about someone writing "non-linear" trip reports?

Have you worked out a timeline for your trip? I know you are going to Disney first. You have your accomodations worked out for the rest of the trip right? Have you worked out when you will go to Shenzen, tea and what was that other place that now I can't remember?

For those like me are you going to work out a schedule? or are you just going to be Vagabonds and decide what to do the morning you wake up, or the night before you go?

I know it's not MY trip!
This trip is going to be a little different to the highly planned-down-to-the-last-minute trips of Disney.
Aside from the first 3 days, which will be spent at Hong Kong Disney, the rest of the time will be more free and easy. We'll work out what we want to do when we get up and will be weather dependent.

I've just been covering off the various things to do and attractions at Hong Kong in the PTR so that I keep them in mind for when we are there. I'll summarise closer to the time of departure.

And...my TR will be mostly chronological. I don't do time warp tripping well!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: