DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Longer stay or larger unit? *Updated on pg. 3*

I cannot make up my mind so I've come here for some advice.

I am planning our Aug. 2012 trip (end of the month) and I know that we want to stay at BLT. We love the location. When I say "we" I mean DH, DD13 & DS8.

I don't have a lot of points to work with and am already borrowing so that is why I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My choices are a 1 bedroom LV for 5 nights or a studio LV for 9 nights. I have been in both of these rooms during a tour at BLT so I know that the studio is small but for me it is doable. But would it be doable for 10 days?

My kids have no issues sleeping in the same bed and we plan on being in the parks daily. We never cook in the villa but I always use the washer/dryer (we have been staying in 1 bedrooms the past couple of trips). My kids want to stay longer in the studio, DH & I can't decide.

Another big question is, am I worrying about all this for nothing? Will I even be able to get a LV studio or 1 bedroom at BLT 7 months out for the end of Aug?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Last edited by Desnik; 01-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Tough decision. 10 days in a studio with two kid might just be enough to drive me crazy. We are going through the same dilema right now, we have my parents coming on a trip with us, we initially thought a two bedroom, but a 1 bedroom would fit all of us and we can stay an extra two days. Good luck with the decision.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Sunshine22
Mouseketeer

It's a tough call. Our family of 4 (2 teen DDs) would not do well in a studio for 9 nights. If I were deciding, I would rather be comfortable in a 1 bedroom for 5 nights vs. a studio for 9 nights, especially having experienced the larger room over the past few visits. However, if your family gets along extremely well and you don't mind the cramped space and extra cost for meals and entertainment for the extra nights, then the studio may be the right option for you. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip!
Sunshine22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
The 6 J's
Mouseketeer

similar situation here trying to make not enough points work for an extended family trip for 2012. Making up the difference by spending 3 nights at a value resort. I'd do the bigger unit for 5 nights and go OOP for the rest.
WDW Commando #148. Feb 2007 All Star Music. Mar 2011 Bay Lake Tower (1st DVC trip). Sep 2011 work trip 1 day at DHS (stayed at Waldorf). Coming up: NOV 2012 trip for 12 ppl, AKV and BLT split stay.

The 6 J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Desnik

I did think about a split stay but DH is difficult, he hates a split stay. He likes to check in and unpack and not move until its time to go home. It's funny because he never does any of the packing and unpacking!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"

Anyway you can make it a one bedroom for 6 nights? Kind of get the best of both worlds, especially if you are borrowing anyway??

I'd really want the extra time, but don't think I could handle 9 nights, 2 kids in a studio.

Would you consider Old Key West? Much larger rooms, and lower in points.

We used to be hell bent on location, now it's all about the points and time there. They are all beautiful resorts.

Good luck with your decision.

AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Desnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee735 View Post
Anyway you can make it a one bedroom for 6 nights? Kind of get the best of both worlds, especially if you are borrowing anyway??

I'd really want the extra time, but don't think I could handle 9 nights, 2 kids in a studio.

Would you consider Old Key West? Much larger rooms, and lower in points.

We used to be hell bent on location, now it's all about the points and time there. They are all beautiful resorts.

Good luck with your decision.
I only have 200 points and I am borrowing all of them from 2013 for this trip in 2012. So I can't do longer than 5 nights in a 1 bedroom at BLT.

We did consider other resorts, but not OKW. We don't like it at all. We have stayed there and all agreed its not for us. We have stayed at all the other resorts too so we were also trying to stay somewhere different since we have never stayed at BLT. The location and transportation is swaying me for BLT also because when going to the parks DD will need to be in a wheelchair. She has RSD and can't walk long distances or be on her feet for long periods of time.

Thank you all for the help so far!! You have all brought up good points and things that I will be thinking about further.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Granny

Is a REAL man!

Personally, I'd go with the 1BR in the scenario listed. It's a lot of days to concede vs the studio, but for us the benefits would be:
  • Mom & Dad get their own bedroom
  • DS and DD get their own beds at BLT using the sleeper chair
  • Washer/dryer in the villa...for us this is a huge benefit
  • Extra bathroom...another big benefit
  • Leg room...just makes the vacation more leisurely.

5 nights/6 days is enough time to enjoy the parks and still enjoy the relaxed setting of a 1BR. Again, this is what would be our choice. I can certainly see why others would prefer 4 extra days at WDW over enhanced accommodations.

(yep, I'm a guy)

Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

I think it's way too much if a personal decision to let others make it for you, but.... I do know that I could NOT stay in a studio for 9 nights even if it was just 2 adults, let alone 2 adults and 2 youngsters. If you need to have a wheelchair in that tiny BLT studio besides, I KNOW I couldn't do it. There is virtually no way to move around in a BLT studio with the sofa bed pulled out. I don't even know where you could possibly store a wheel chair even folded up in there with 4 people. That would be an issue for 5 days, let alone 9-10.

Add to the above the fact that when we have stayed 9-10 days in the past, it has gotten long for us. We actually are glad to be going home. We have gone back to the 1 week trips because it leaves us wanting more and being happy to go home and plan again.

On the other hand....Since you are virtually wiping out 2 years worth of points to do this trip, maybe longer is better.

Oh, and I couldn't do without an inroom laundry that long either. I HATE going down to a common laundry on vacation....It takes too much time out of my day.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

We place the highest priority on room size and choose a 1B over a Studio pretty much every time. I'd sooner sacrifice a specific resort or view if necessary.

For a couple of nights, I could get by with a Studio. But 9 days with no privacy, no washer / dryer, no kitchen...no thanks.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Breyean
DVC Since '93

I don't know if this fits your needs or budget, but have you considered renting some points to extend your stay in a 1 br? Plus, although it's not a big difference each day, if you look into renting, maybe you could reduce the cost somewhat by trying for a standard view vs a lake view? At the usual rental of around $10/point it might add up to a couple of hundred $$ saved.

We stayed in a 1 br last year, and it was just me, my wife and our adult son, and the extra space and such as mentioned by the pp were definitely great.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
shortfieldno1
Earning My Ears

We do 13 days in a Studio with our 3 and 4 yro DD. We have a great time and wouldn't change it. We choose to go longer than stay in a bigger room. I would like the kitchen option or laundry in room, but oh well. I can do laundry and cook when I get home from my 2 week vaction.
shortfieldno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you say you realized how small the studios at BLT is and are willing to do it anyway.

so next question at night does anyone in your party need to go to the bathroom - he/she could accidentally wake everyone in the party up because there is just not enough room to walk around once the sleeper sofa is open.

now I love studios and stay in them all the time. the free laundry mat is on the first floor. so that for me is not a problem. the kitchennett is good enough for most things. (okay do miss a real oven)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
hakepb
DIS Veteran

To me 7 days is a short, rushed trip, so I would absolutely choose the studio.
I'm not sold on the BLT studio, though. I may attempt BWV to save points and get roll on boats to 2 parks instead.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
shortfieldno1
Earning My Ears

Oh, I missed the BLT part. We are at Beach Club. We did BLT in the past. Yep, really small. We also switch up between at least 2 places while we are there. AKL and BCV.
shortfieldno1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: