Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #256
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Feb 8, continued.

After bug's land, Robert went over to go on Tower of Terror. When your kid is nearly 8, having an exit to TOT from bug's land is OK; but if we have another it's not going to be so welcome. I liked bug's land b/c of the ONE exit...sigh. Oh well.

While E and I were still in bug's land playing around, E decided he wanted to ride TOT. Well, OK then! We headed over and it was 13 minutes, so we went on in. I believe Robert got two rides in (FP then standby or the opposite) to our one, and he was really surprised when he found out we'd gone on the ride. Especially surprising since we were back in bug's land when he was done. But hey, I did text him and try to call him!

Somehow they got me into Mickey's Wheel of Death.

View of the WOC "works" from above.

I found a sweet spot for picture-taking where the grid that covers the "windows" in the Wheel doesn't show up!

We'd been going back and forth and it was all getting tired. Coffees and treats were needed (er, "needed"...quotes added in deference to Shelley-the-Weight-Watchers-meeting-leader). As were pictures of pretty flours.

R&E had seen some things that they REALLY wanted. They were over at Star Tours (and maybe World of Disney), and I took this coffee-break time to check prices online. Turns out the price was, actually, the best price out there. So we decided to head back over to Disneyland.

On the way...

I got the Star Tours items while the guys rode the ride again (I didn't want to). Wandered, rode Jungle Cruise, said our goodbyes to the magical land.

On the way to the hotel I finally picked up some Crocs. See, some of my foot problems were because I'd forgotten my broken-in, non-Disney, Crocs Athens at home. I was *hoping* for a Disney Crocs Mammoth purchase, simply because it was cold-ish and it seemed like they would be cozy and comfy. But the ONLY place I found them (one evening in Frontierland while the guys shot 'em up at the Shootin' Gallery) was in ONE shop, and they were kid's sizes.

I knew the Mickey-head Athens were at World of Disney, so I finally picked some up. And found out 100% that they are differently sized than the normal Athens. The thong strap is bigger on the Mickey crocs, the side straps, and the actual bottom of the shoe is sized differently. That was uncomfortable enough, then add in the breaking-'em-in factor, and yeah, my feet never got totally comfy on the entire trip.

Had more lounge-time in many ways, had dinner from WhiteWater Snacks again, relaxed, packed, slept.

Next morning woke up, missed the thankfully-not-paid-in-advance Express bus, got a cab called, and headed on out to the nearby airport!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #257
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Honestly I can not imagine pesto and orange juice go together well at all. I love that garden area. I think that if the weather is nice on our next trip we will be eating in that area.

I am glad to hear that E liked Indiana Jones. That is such a fun ride.
It was one of those "not thinking about it together" purchases. Like once in college I thought "ooh, half a PB&J would be delightful" and then as I continued walking through the SUB (just pretend it's a food court, LOL) I realized they had clam chowder (this is pre-veggie-life) and though "ooh, tasty". Didn't realize until I had taken a bite each of my "soup and sandwich" that it was a bad, awful, horrid combo that should never be tried again.

Eamon wasn't as affected by his combo as I was, but I finally had to stop looking at the plate and the juice box, b/c the thought was making me not enjoy things.

It's beautiful. And they have bands there. I found myself wondering if the bands that play there hate their lives b/c they are playing at Disney...or if they think it's an amazing stepping stone and they are having tons of fun?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #258
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

An extra bit.

The onsite hotels have a little extra that is a trivia game. You can do it for Jungle Cruise or Pirates of the Caribbean rides. We asked if we could do both, and we could.

We did this on the 8th, which was another reason we needed to hop over from DCA.

I read, read, re-read, and re-read some more all the questions, so that I didn't have to keep on looking at the questions. They give you a nice glowstick, though, so you can see the piece of paper but not totally offend those around you.

The questions include things like "how many boats are in the POTC attraction". OMG do you know how many boats there are in that thing? Well, actually, once you do the trivia, you do. These are non-ride vehicles, by the way. Other questions are best answered in the daytime, because you have to (for instance) look for the flags above the attractions.

Anyway, it's fun, as long as you have the time to devote to not really enjoying the ride at least one time through.

Once we were done for the day and headed back, I stopped in with the answer sheets. And oh WOW, they gave us stuff!

We got one cool button (not round, but rectangular) for each of us, for each trivia sheet we did. They are buttons with the attraction posters as the design. For POTC they gave us plastic jewels (a whole bunch of them) as well as chocolate doubloons. A whole bunch of them.

It was really neat!

I still have almost all of the chocolate coins, and I'm figuring out what to do with the buttons. E of course has the jewels in his treasure chest.

If you have a longer trip, or if you've been there enough that you can take the time to do this sort of thing, I highly recommend it.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #259
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

And so that's it!

We went from SNA up to San Francisco, where we ate veggie "sushi" rolls and Eamon played with some other kids in a play area they had at our gate. It was like a tiny science museum for kids, with one of those "tornado" machines and various other things like that.

I knitted the whole way out to Orlando* while reading my Kindle and got lots of funny looks for that. Oh well! It resulted in a knit hat for Robert that actually fits him so the looks were worth it.

And now I have to continue my story on the Universal forum, which makes me nervous because I actually have not done a trip report there yet! Such pressure. And, honestly, it's mainly "we love Universal look at the pretty resort ooooh pretty pictures". I'll link to it here once I start it there.

Thanks for reading!!!

*for those who are unsure, this was a bi-coastal trip. We had upgraded to Universal Orlando APs last September, and had promised that we would use them. We were yearning to head back to Disneyland, and didn't have APs for WDW.

So we went to Anaheim (which was this trip report), then used more frequent flyer miles to get ourselves to Orlando.

We stayed one night at the Boardwalk Villas at WDW so that we could do laundry (didn't work as planned, but DVC gave us some of our points back b/c of the problem), then managed to NOT go to WDW despite being *right there*, and spent several lovely days at Universal!

I would love to do another bi-coastal trip; but this time we would start on the East Coast, get used to the time change and have a low-key Universal vacation...then go West again so getting up *early* will be easier (since it will feel later to us) and have the more frantic Disney vacation.

We are trying to not plan a WDW vacation until '14, when we have the full amount of DVC points again (and can use "banked" points, current-at-that-time points, and "borrowed" points if needed), but if the money were to fall from the sky for it I'm not sure we could hold off.

Robert wants to get closer to his goal weight before heading to Universal again, but I know he hears the siren call even if he can't yet ride Hulk and the like. But he's focusing on the continued "wanna go baaaaaaaaaaack" tune that Disneyland plays in his head and trying to get me to focus on that, too.

So that's the "rest of the story", for those who missed it somewhere in all my talk-talk.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 03-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #260
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

I enjoyed it!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Pageants
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #261
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic visit to DLR you had. Have you started your Universal report, I'll go see...
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #262
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for reading to the end.

I started, but haven't continued, with the Universal trip report yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #263
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Oh how fun! I just read most of report. I know you have said you love Universal and my son really wants to go, but I just can't stand throwing another $500 at the experience on top of everything else.... sigh...

But I do think I need to get him a day there on our trip, so we will see how that pans out.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #264
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

oh, and wanted to say, gorgeous picture of carsland from the wheel of death!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #265
DisneyMarvelStarWars
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We tend to feel that the special features of many films really enhance the movies. Love them for Pirates, LOTR, and even Phantom Menace.

Since Peter Jackson really did know what he was getting into, it seems he filmed EVERYTHING, and had the knowledge that people would be very interested in the behind the scenes stuff.

Oh, and there's also a feature that shows that the stuntmen (mostly Maori but some not) really respected Viggo. At one point they do a traditional Maori dance to honor the "kings" of the movies, the actor who played Theoden, and Viggo. It's so amazing.

[side note, Robert met someone who was an extra on the set, when he was in New Zealand two years ago...he was a big Maori guy (Robert feels so at home with Maori men, he fits right in!) who had been one of the UruqHai.]

I'm very Viggo-focused right now, LOL. But I think that every actor was just superb in the trilogy, just perfect.

In the second Hobbit movie, Benedict Cumberbatch will be in it. For those who don't know, he's the one who plays Sherlock in the new BBC version, along with Martin Freeman playing Watson. I'm not sure they'll actually have any scenes together (I think Cumberbatch is only a voiceover, and I truly don't remember the book at all), but since The Hobbit's filming interfered with a full 1st season, and the filming of the 2nd season, of the new Sherlock Holmes show, I'm glad that BC got a role in it.

Plus, that name...is that not an amazing name?

OK, printer stuff! Some is Flex Plan-related, some is TRIP related. See, the trip is being discussed!
Awesome post, just thought I would say so. It mentions many of my favorites, including Benedict. Okay, off to finish reading this TR.

Walt Disney Family Museum Member
DisneyMarvelStarWars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: