Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
ICF
DIS Veteran

Thankful that my town, also in Indiana, knows that Oct 31st is Halloween.

We've never celebrated it any other day but the 31st.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #32
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Another Indiana town here and we do Trick or Treating on the weekend, either Friday or Saturday (whichever is closer to the true holiday), from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Always have, probably always will, and I've never heard anyone complain about it... Go Figure. I posted on the same thread last year.

January 2017.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #33
SingleFather
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
and it is just a little safer (because we have a little more daylight before the times change on Saturday night.) It is really dangerous when people are coming home from work - if T-O-T was during the week.
The time does not change this year in the U.S. until November 6th so I am not sure what that meant. My daughter will go out trick or treating with her group of friends (NO PARENTS!!!) when the street lights go on and have to be home by 8pm.

We cannot stand parents who drive their kids into our neighborhood and then drive/follow them through our streets. If you must accompany your kids, get out and WALK!
SingleFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #34
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Nope, Halloween is on Oct 31st.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #35
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

In my city, trick or treat has always been (at least for the 31 years I've lived here!) on the Friday night before Halloween from 6-8pm. I don't mind it. I'd rather that than on a school night, when we are usually bogged down with after school activities.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #36
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

Trick or treating is on the 31st in our area of Pennsylvania, always has been, and never heard anyone try to change it.

Of course, even if they changed the Trick or Treating it wouldn't take away the fact that the actual festival marking the end of the harvest will always be on the 31st.

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Toad_Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

Where I grew up it was called begger night and it was sponsored by the police department.

If Halloween fell Sat thru Tuesday it went to the previous Saturday, If it was Wed, Thurs, or Friday, it fell to the following Saturday,

That how it always was and has always been.

Personally I like a Saturday best. Around here we get van loads of kids from all over coming for candy. I hate the most the parents who obviously aren't from around here, because they stay in their car and slowly creep along the road and let their kids run all over by themselves.

These are the same groups that continue to pund on the door an ring the bell until 11m, with the lights out
Shanna-like-Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

I loathe when cities, towns, neighborhoods, etc try to change the day of Halloween. Halloween is on HALLOWEEN. We will be giving out candy ON Halloween. Anyone who comes before then will be SOL.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #39
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelhalo View Post
I loathe when cities, towns, neighborhoods, etc try to change the day of Halloween. Halloween is on HALLOWEEN. We will be giving out candy ON Halloween. Anyone who comes before then will be SOL.
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #40
Maridw
DisneyMom to Disneylover0105
Love to Dance
Tinkerbell Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
My mom grew up in a little town in the West Central part of Minnesota. Whenever Halloween falls on Sunday, trick or treating is done on Saturday night. I guess they find trick or treating on Sunday to be offensive.
This is what happens where we live. We don't have many kids in our area, so we don't get any trick or treaters. We got them the first year we lived in our house only because we really decorated our front yard.

We are taking my GDD to the mall for trick or treating. All the stores participate and its nice and safe for kids of all ages.
DL yearly 1969-78, Dec 99, Jul 04, Sept 06, Apr 07 FW 1972 SoG Nov 95, Jun 97, Jul 99, Nov 01 AS Sports Resort - Nov 2000; Apr & Nov 02; Mar & May 03; May & Oct 04, Apr 06 Coronado Springs Resort - Nov 03 Pop Century Mar/Apr, May, & Nov 05, Jan 06, Dec 11, Dec 12 Celebration World Resort Nov/Dec 09

It's A Girl - Natalie Grace! 4 years old now! Our dancing baby!

Maridw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #41
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaZee View Post
I had never heard of this until I read it here on a thread last year. That would bug me - for me, trick-or-treating is on Halloween night, always. I would do what you're doing OP - even if I had to drive to another neighborhood to do it.
I've never heard of this until the DIS either--Halloween is on Halloween--there is no altering the day LOL. I am always amazed when I see people write that they are "allowed" to trick or treat from 6-8 or something like that. That is unheard of here. You run home from the school bus and quickly change you clothes to get out as quick as you can to trick or treat to maximize the time you have out there. We can expect kids on a school night from 3-8 or so and if its on a weekend, its a bonus- start around noon and continue on into the night! There are no lights on lights off rules here- you hit every house- there is no opting out of halloween LOL. You can choose to not answer your door but you oare still going to be having kids banging on it all evening long!
Do these towns that move halloween move other holidays too? Is the 4th of July celebrated on July 6th? Is Christmas Dec 22nd?

Last edited by aprilgail2; 10-25-2011 at 06:15 AM.
aprilgail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #42
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
IU've never heard of this until the DIS either--Halloween is on Halloween--there is no altering the day LOL. I am always amazed when I see people write that they are "allowed" to trick or treat from 6-8 or something like that. That is unheard of here. You run home from the school bus and quickly change you clothes to get out as quick as you can to trick or treat to maximize the time you have out there. We can expect kids on a school night from 3-8 or so and if its on a weekend, its a bonus- start around noon and continue on into the night! There are no lights on lights off rules here- you hit every house- there is no opting out of halloween LOL. You can choose to not answer your door but you oare still going to be having kids banging on it all evening long!
Do these towns that move halloween move other holidays too? Is the 4th of July celebrated on July 6th? Is Christmas Dec 22nd?
We're not changing Halloween, just announcing a community Trick or Treat date and time. I don't really consider them one and the same. And while it's not a rule, I'm glad people here stick to houses with "lights on." I'd be ticked if kids were knocking on my elderly neighbors' door all night. They are pushing 90, not in the best of health, and generally go to bed early. That's not very considerate to force people to participate or annoy them with knocking all night long.

There is no community-wide celebration of Christmas so I can't answer that question. I don't know of any town that has one? Do you have community Christmas celebrations on the 25th?

Around here, the local Knights of Columbus and/or Country Club put on fireworks displays. Yes, sometimes they opt for a weekend (especially the country club since their event is a day long party for CC members). Seeing as they're private groups using private funds, I figure they can schedule it whenever they please. We're lucky to have fireworks, most towns our size do not.

January 2017.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #43
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Halloween is Halloween and THAT is the day you trick or treat here- we do have the lights out rule, eventually you run out of candy! I can't imagine a town telling me that my kids could only trick or treat from 6-8 on a certain night that is NOT Halloween. It's up to the parents to decide what is "too late" for a school night, not the town.

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #44
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
We're not changing Halloween, just announcing a community Trick or Treat date and time. I don't really consider them one and the same. And while it's not a rule, I'm glad people here stick to houses with "lights on." I'd be ticked if kids were knocking on my elderly neighbors' door all night. They are pushing 90, not in the best of health, and generally go to bed early. That's not very considerate to force people to participate or annoy them with knocking all night long.

There is no community-wide celebration of Christmas so I can't answer that question. I don't know of any town that has one? Do you have community Christmas celebrations on the 25th?

Around here, the local Knights of Columbus and/or Country Club put on fireworks displays. Yes, sometimes they opt for a weekend (especially the country club since their event is a day long party for CC members). Seeing as they're private groups using private funds, I figure they can schedule it whenever they please. We're lucky to have fireworks, most towns our size do not.
BBM

But one is part and parcel of the other. If you didn't have people "guising" and "begging" for soul cakes many centuries ago on All Hallow's Eve & Hallowmas, then we'd never have modern trick or treating today. The tradition is part of the actual day and festivals. Not sure why they would be considered different?

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Toad_Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #45
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid02 View Post
Halloween is Halloween and THAT is the day you trick or treat here- we do have the lights out rule, eventually you run out of candy! I can't imagine a town telling me that my kids could only trick or treat from 6-8 on a certain night that is NOT Halloween. It's up to the parents to decide what is "too late" for a school night, not the town.
I love that there is a set time. I couldn't take more than 2 hours of it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: