Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
nicbic97
Mouseketeer

Carnival Elation compared to the Fantasy?

Has anyone with young children been on the Carnival Elation? I have a DS 5 and was wondering what he would think of the ship. We went on the Fantasy W. Carribean in September and we are taking a 4 day Dream in May. There are some Carribean's over the summer out of New Orleans which is only 6 hours from Memphis vs. 12 to Port Canaveral. It would be much easier and cheaper to take a quick trip with Carnival before he starts kindergarten, but I don't know if he will be majorly disappointed after the Dream and Fantasy. The kids clubs look cool in the pictures and it looks like they actually have toys to play with in them. I found it strange that there were only computers and video games and stuff to climb on in the Disney Kids Clubs. Thoughts?

5/15/99-18th b-day visit to MK, 9/28/12-MNSSHP, 9/29/12-10/6/12-Fantasy Western, 5/12/13-5/16/13-Dream 4 day Bahamaian, 11/10/13-11/15/13-Magic 5 day Western, 12/30/13-1/3/14-ASMo, 6/2/14-6/9/14-Alaskan Wonder
nicbic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

I cruise Carnival often because its a much cheaper cost. I LOVE DCL and Fantasy is wonderful but I think you both would have a nice time. It's all what you make of it. I feel every cruise no matter what ship the kids react different with the kids clubs. Counselors, activities and the other children vary. Go enjoy the cruise-it's cheaper and close to home. Just keep in mind that the quality MIGHT be less than you receive on DCL.
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

As you can see in my signature me and my son have cruised most of the major cruise lines that do the US. Everyone is different and it seems to help if I do not try to compare when I am on the ship, just enjoy what it has to offer. One strange thing to offer, we have found the less amount of kids on the ship the more fun my son has had. With fewer kids they seem to bond quicker and stay friends longer.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
jendeli
Earning My Ears

I also worry that we set the bar too high because we started out with a Disney Cruise. We could cruise Carnival out of Charleston and it would also be way closer and cheaper for us, but I worry that it would be missing that Disney touch. The one thing I felt was missing on a Disney Cruise was the adult interation. Most adult activities were scheduled after 10 at night and we were back in our stateroom with 3 sleeping kids at that time. Also, we walked The Disrtict one evening around 9 and it was dead. So I wonder if Carnival would offer more adult activities through out the day and early evening.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

One thing to keep in mind...the Elation is a Fantasy class ship (the oldest class on Carnival, although Elation was one of the last built Fantasy class ships). There are no traditional balcony staterooms on this ship - only suites (which in Carnival's case is closer to a Family Stateroom with Verandah on DCL for the junior suite).

Just wanted to give you a heads-up. The size of the Elation would be more comparable to DCL's Magic class ships rather than the Dream class.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: