Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #91
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
I know! We are in Dallas and we are playing game 4 of the World Series and we still all watched this show on our TIVO instead of the game.
My DH, 2 DD's (12 and 15) had the best time watching this show. Can't wait for the next episode.
Revenge is our other favorite show. Very intriguing show too.
OK, I confess, I watched it during the game too. We were losing and well, there you go.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #92
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I'm must be dense I don't catch the pear thing with Snow White, I thought the apple was her downfall
You know how there's the idea that students give their teachers an apple? Snow White/Mary Margaret's students give her a pear instead, since apples are her downfall. The students don't know that, but it's one of those little things that adds to the story, like the Evil Queen/mayor offering apple cider to Emma. Little parts of the fairy tale characters that carried over into the real world.

I hope that makes sense, my brain is just not articulating my thoughts very well tonight!
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #93
Cinerbelle
Mouseketeer

Did anyone else think that Emma looked older then 28? Also, what was the deal with SW's right ear (with short hair) it seems to stick out sooo far.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #94
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Thoughts on Traditional Fairy Tales?

I wrote a blog about how much I loved the season premier - it was everything I had hoped it would be!

But I got a response to that blog that left me thinking about Disney's spin on certain fairy tales. For instance, Jiminy Cricket was created by Disney as a character in Pinocchio - he wasn't an original part of any traditional "fairy tale," yet appears as a main character in Once Upon a Time.

Taking this thought, we can turn to the brothers Grimm and how they put an oral society's fairy tales down on paper. Those tales had changed as they were passed from one person to another, but became one standard story once the brothers had put them into a book. I feel that Disney simply took those stories and put their own spin on them, although there are purists out there who absolutely didn't like the concept at all after viewing the show!

Like I said, I'm a huge fan and can't wait for the next episode! I think I will do a "Once Upon a Time Sundays" blog and recap each week!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #95
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
OK, I confess, I watched it during the game too. We were losing and well, there you go.
Alright now. It was not all that long ago you were a metroplex dweller. Go Rangers!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #96
Hootiss
cheese and crackers

Thanks to everyone posting all the ''clues" and their synopsis. I hope the show will continue to produce thought provoking story lines, that can be discussed in great detail with all of you. For me it adds another dimension to tv watching which I really missed. When I watch tv nowadays I am usually doing something else too, I love the fact I can now again spend an hour with my son with no distractions watching a show we both enjoy. We have hopefully found our Lost replacement
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #97
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

I also loved the show. I watched it again on On-Demand last night. One thing that intrigued me was - how did Henry leave Storybrook. He told Emma that no one could leave cause bad things happen when they try. As we saw when Emma tried to leave. So how did Henry get out?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #98
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
I also loved the show. I watched it again on On-Demand last night. One thing that intrigued me was - how did Henry leave Storybrook. He told Emma that no one could leave cause bad things happen when they try. As we saw when Emma tried to leave. So how did Henry get out?
I thought about that. Could it be because Henry is not part of the enchantment? But then again, neither is Emma, really. They both came in from the real world. Maybe Emma is affected because she was born in Faerie (or whatever you want to call it).
Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #99
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
maybe it ties into Emma's birthday wish? She wished to not be alone and perhaps she has the *power* for things to happen even tho she has no idea? Henry may have been aware that that particular day would be his opportunity so he was ready to escape at the opportune time?
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #100
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m's mom View Post
Alright now. It was not all that long ago you were a metroplex dweller. Go Rangers!
Yes but I grew up in St. Louis. I am still rooting for the Cowboys since the Rams suck.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #101
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrazi View Post
I'm looking forward to next week and looking to all of you to answer my questions.
Ditto!! LOL!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #102
FloraFauna
DIS Veteran
I was really good at doing BIG hair

DD17 and I watched the show together and enjoyed it a lot. I also look forward to seeing it next week.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #103
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I thought about that. Could it be because Henry is not part of the enchantment? But then again, neither is Emma, really. They both came in from the real world. Maybe Emma is affected because she was born in Faerie (or whatever you want to call it).
Emma was born in the fairy tale world. Henry was born in the modern-day world. I think that's why Emma couldn't leave, but Henry could.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #104
Candlz
PartyLite on VMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
maybe it ties into Emma's birthday wish? She wished to not be alone and perhaps she has the *power* for things to happen even tho she has no idea? Henry may have been aware that that particular day would be his opportunity so he was ready to escape at the opportune time?
This was my thought as well.

DH ME DD21 DS9 DS1 and DD1

Proud Mama of a Coastie
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #105
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Emma was born in the fairy tale world. Henry was born in the modern-day world. I think that's why Emma couldn't leave, but Henry could.
That's what I was thinking. Once she crossed into Storybrooke, she could not leave.

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: