Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
A dining room server of a specific nationality.
Why so?

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
Why so?

Ex Techie
Since we do not have many people in our hometown of our nationality we take this time to practice our foreign language skills. It makes the cruise a little more interesting for us if the dining room manager can accommodate this request, if not it is okay too. Luckily it has happened on more cruises for us than not.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Tips?

Thanks, everyone, for all the information. DW and I have been thinking about consierge service for an upcoming cruise. We often bring a bit of our own wine for the cabin, and I didn't see any clear mention of wine or cocktails being offered at no charge in the consierge cabins -- only regarding happy hour in the Dream's lounge.

On Wonder/Magic, are drinks offered gratis?

How do we tip the concierge -- same as a steward, with tip card and envelope?

Any word on special meet 'n' greets, back-room tours?

Reserved seating at any shows? (Wouldn't it be great to walk into Wavelengths, or whatever the venue will be, less than 30 minutes early for a comedian show for adults, and have a killer table reserved for us? Yes, it would!)

And the final question: What special service, such as getting a masseuse in-suite for a foot massage after pounding around our port of call all day, isn't mentioned but can be requested?

Bob
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Cool Namsupak! What is your native tongue if you don't mind me asking?

I was only asking as it sounded like a strange request given that all the crew speak English (of different degree's with the amount of countries!)

I'm glad they were able to accommodate your request!

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all the information. DW and I have been thinking about consierge service for an upcoming cruise. We often bring a bit of our own wine for the cabin, and I didn't see any clear mention of wine or cocktails being offered at no charge in the consierge cabins -- only regarding happy hour in the Dream's lounge.

Reserved seating at any shows? (Wouldn't it be great to walk into Wavelengths, or whatever the venue will be, less than 30 minutes early for a comedian show for adults, and have a killer table reserved for us? Yes, it would!)

And the final question: What special service, such as getting a masseuse in-suite for a foot massage after pounding around our port of call all day, isn't mentioned but can be requested?

Bob
Post #9 has great info on what to expect on the Magic/Wonder in concierge.

I've never heard of anyone asking for an in room spa treatment and never seen anyone report of getting one. I would think the logistics of moving things needed to your suite would make it too hard to do.
The only in room things that DCL offers is in room dining from the dining rooms.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Reserved seating at any shows?

Bob
On the wonder/magic - We have not had gratis alcoholic drinks in-room, the only time is at the concierge reception.

Tips can be charged to the stateroom or cash in a tip envelope just like the dining room servers and stateroom host. Our concierge actually made the adjustments we needed so we did not have to go to guest services ourselves.

We never asked about the special seating or other reserved stuff but for things like tea with Alice and the Princess party we were reserved seats by our concierge, since we have a little girl I think he knew we wanted to go. Also we knew ahead of time on this WBTA cruise that Alice would not be at the tea party and so he changed our reservation to the next date when Alice would be there. He explained it to our daughter like this "Alice ate some cake that made her little and she won't be able to come to the party but in a few days she will be big again and then she can have tea with you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by extechie rbd/wdt View Post
Cool Namsupak! What is your native tongue if you don't mind me asking?

Ex Techie
No problem at all. We are Americans but our ethnicity is Thai. So we just like to practice Thai when we get a chance. Plus the servers really seem to be happy when they meet other Thai people. Twice we have been with MIL who is from Thailand but has been here for 35+ years. Once it was funny because the head server came over and said "I am so glad we could accommodate you because I saw that you have a guest who doesn't speak English." We all laughed and explained that we all speak English it is just nice nice for us to practice our language skills. Plus MIL always makes it a point to find all the Thai people on the ship so we can meet them, usually not many. Even the times when we have not had a server from Thailand, the head servers have asked Thai servers to at least come visit us. It really is just a nice thing that DCL does, not necessarily a concierge perk but just another request that they have helped with.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
Buckeye Goofy
Mouseketeer

Most unusual concierge request.. hmmm... That would have to be when I requested a large knife. When a startled Lynda asked why, I responded that I wanted to sabrage a bottle of champagne when we were having friends come to our suite one night. While Lynda was unable to provide a large knife, she was able to obtain the service of Shawn, the beverage manager, to come to our suite at 11:00pm to do the honors.

May 2005 – Eastern Caribbean – Disney Magic / Sept 2009 – Western Caribbean – Disney Magic
Sept 2010 – West Bound Trans-Atlantic – Disney Magic
Sept 2011 Western Caribbean – Carnival Legend / Sept 2012 – Western Caribbean – Disney Fantasy
Buckeye Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #23
triptaker
Mouseketeer

our request was for a phillips screwdriver..... We had some misting fans for the beach and the battery cover had a phillips head screw in it... No problem for them... One was produced very quickly
triptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Goofy View Post
Most unusual concierge request.. hmmm... That would have to be when I requested a large knife. When a startled Lynda asked why, I responded that I wanted to sabrage a bottle of champagne when we were having friends come to our suite one night. While Lynda was unable to provide a large knife, she was able to obtain the service of Shawn, the beverage manager, to come to our suite at 11:00pm to do the honors.
While I've always been fasicinated with this procedure and LOVE champagne I would never have thought of that! Wow what a cool thing to do for you dont think I would ask for that tho

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #25
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Our most unusual request on our recent Dream 3 night was the recipe for the Muesli. I absolutely LOVE it, and can't figure out what they do to it on the ships that makes it so absolutely delicious! lol
And, on our last night, I had a note from one of the chefs with the recipe enclosed!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

I did think of one other thing we asked for and were accommodated: everyone on the WBTA 2010 got a special lithograph. I knew Ducky Williams was on board and I had wanted him to sign it. I asked the concierge when his meet and greet was, but I had missed it. The concierge went to our room to get our lithograph and had Ducky sign it for me. Then when we got the special concierge lithograph, without me asking, he presented it to me signed. I was so touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmom View Post
We don't drink soda at all, so I'm hoping they can substitute water for it.

You would think that that there would be consistency with concierge. Maybe there will be some changes by the time we sail next year. One can hope.

I am excited about our suite. We are in one with the murphy bed in the living area instead of the master.

Thank you for your reply.
First, you must be in a midship .. our favorite! You will totally enjoy it.

Second, the concierges are eager to please as they are now tipped positions. I am sure they will arrange a trade of sodas for waters for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
Not sure what you mean by unusual but here are the things we requested on the WBTA.

- They usually bring treats everyday and we asked for a bowl of berries everyday for our daughter in addition
- Lunch and Dinner menus for the entire cruise
- 1 item to be signed by characters
- Corrections to the final bill, including canceling an internet package that we did not use
- A dining room server of a specific nationality
- One day we had a party and we asked for an assortment of treats, the concierge arranged for plates of treats to be brought at a certain time, nothing real special just cookies, cheese, and fruit
- Crib in our Cabana
- Last minute spa and excursion reservations as well as nursery times.
- hair appointments before dinner on formal night - including changing this automatically when formal night changed to a different day.
- booking private Palo room
- Extra Palo Dinner - which we ended up canceling - and he took care of this as well.

Was Danny your concierge by any chance? We had him as our concierge on the Magic last year and loved him.

Quote:

Bob
Magic and Wonder tend to be stingy on free drinks. I do think some consistency in concierge offerings between ships is in order.

As far as reserved seatings, this would certainly be a nice perk, but sadly not one that is currently offered. Write it on your comment card though; who knows if they may include it in the future.

I have never requested an in-room massage. And I don't think that this is something that DCL currently offers. The concierge though would be able to make any appointments for you.

You will have the concierge position included on your tip sheet, should you choose to charge your room tips. There is no recommended amount to tip them, which makes things tricky. We really had no idea how much to tip and took a guess. If you choose to charge your tips to the room, the concierge will take care of that for you, which also makes it a bit odd .. the concierge will charge his own tip for you, and then give you the envelope with which to tip him. I didn't want to do that to him, so I went down to guest services myself to charge his tip as we were running short on cash. Turns out, he called the room while I was at guest services, and hubby told him where I was, and he came out from behind the GS desk as I was charging his tip. Awkward. Next time I will set aside concierge tips before we even leave.

To be honest, we book concierge on the "classic" (which is the official word Disney uses for the Magic/Wonder as opposed to "legacy" or "old") more for 2 bathrooms and one stop shopping than anything else. By one stop shopping I mean, you don't have to stand in line at guest services and the shorex desk, the concierge will do it all.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #27
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

In a couple weeks I'm going to try to ask for chocolate cover strawberries as a special treat for my wife.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #28
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
In a couple weeks I'm going to try to ask for chocolate cover strawberries as a special treat for my wife.
On our April Dream cruise we were able to find chocolate covered strawberries at the Vista Cafe on deck 4. Sometimes they could be found late evening in the nightclub area on deck 4.
DD & I would go to Vista cafe a couple of times a day to get a few.

That shouldn't be a problem requesting them for your DW.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #29
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post

Was Danny your concierge by any chance? We had him as our concierge on the Magic last year and loved him.
Our concierge was Rodrigo, we heard he will be moving to the Dream again when he comes back from vacation. We did see Danny because he was the other concierge guy on our cruise. We didn't talk to Danny too much as Rodrigo was our main guy but he did seem very nice. The other guests were very happy with him and I think as a team it was a great cruise for concierge guests.

Quote:
...If you choose to charge your tips to the room, the concierge will take care of that for you, which also makes it a bit odd .. the concierge will charge his own tip for you, and then give you the envelope with which to tip him.
This happened to us also when we had to make changes, but I bet they get that all the time, still awkward. We were not sure how much to tip either but we decided that he took care of us just as much as our servers did, if not more. So we tipped him like our server.

Quote:
...we book concierge on the "classic" (which is the official word Disney uses for the Magic/Wonder as opposed to "legacy" or "old") more for 2 bathrooms and one stop shopping than anything else. By one stop shopping I mean, you don't have to stand in line at guest services and the shorex desk, the concierge will do it all.
The concierge on the classic ships is a good deal. And I agree it is nice for the one stop shopping and in addition we don't have to worry about fighting for a cabana.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Yes, Namsupak, Rodrigo is going to the Dream--that's what he told us when on the same cruise as you. And I agree that he and Danny seemed to make a great team!

Regarding tipping the concierge, that was the one thing I went to the guest services desk all cruise to take care of. The girl there was like, "You could just have your concierge take care of this; why are you here?" and didn't seem to understand when I said I felt it was awkward to have my concierge do the work to charge his own tip. But she did it anyway, and I agree that Rodrigo earned his money!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: