Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #106
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! My name is Sue. Just booked this cruise( with a little persuasive help from one of my new friends) after coming off the Magic cruise to Canada! Will be sailing with hubby and DD who will be 9, almost 10 at the time of our sailing! I'm totally in for the fish extender too! It may be early but will there be a meet n greet the first day? Is there a Facebook group created? Excited to be sailing again, even if it's more than a year away!

luvmygrljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #107
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygrljb
Hi everyone! My name is Sue. Just booked this cruise( with a little persuasive help from one of my new friends) after coming off the Magic cruise to Canada! Will be sailing with hubby and DD who will be 9, almost 10 at the time of our sailing! I'm totally in for the fish extender too! It may be early but will there be a meet n greet the first day? Is there a Facebook group created? Excited to be sailing again, even if it's more than a year away!
I think a meet on the first day would be fine - seemed to work out from 2-3pm on the Fantasy on deck 12 where the wading pool is. Kids were able to cool off while adults talked.

I am not a fan of the FaceBook group idea. Not everyone is on FB (us included) & on our June cruise, those on the DIS boards felt very left out. It was odd having only one or 2 people bring back info & we almost missed out on a group excursion. The people that had been talking on FB were already in a clique of sorts. Luckily, there were some welcoming people, but it was awkward. Just my 2 cents!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #108
kendzee94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
I think a meet on the first day would be fine - seemed to work out from 2-3pm on the Fantasy on deck 12 where the wading pool is. Kids were able to cool off while adults talked.

I am not a fan of the FaceBook group idea. Not everyone is on FB (us included) & on our June cruise, those on the DIS boards felt very left out. It was odd having only one or 2 people bring back info & we almost missed out on a group excursion. The people that had been talking on FB were already in a clique of sorts. Luckily, there were some welcoming people, but it was awkward. Just my 2 cents!!

I found that with being on facebook and being able to see who you are talking with, made it much easier to start up a conversation with people once I got to the terminal/on the ship because I already felt like I knew them. I love the facebook idea. Actually, I will promise you that I will make sure that the info on facebook will be brought to the disboards. I just posted the Champagne Girls picture on both pages. The person in charge of our FE list was not on FB very much, so I copied her list from the dis and put it over to the FB page. I go to both sites, but it seems like there are a lot of people on FB

Re: the meet on the first day, if the Fantasy has a spa giveaway, I would love to go to that. We arranged on our last cruise for the dis meet then a bunch of us went to the spa for the giveaway

kendzee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #109
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendzee94

I found that with being on facebook and being able to see who you are talking with, made it much easier to start up a conversation with people once I got to the terminal/on the ship because I already felt like I knew them. I love the facebook idea. Actually, I will promise you that I will make sure that the info on facebook will be brought to the disboards. I just posted the Champagne Girls picture on both pages. The person in charge of our FE list was not on FB very much, so I copied her list from the dis and put it over to the FB page. I go to both sites, but it seems like there are a lot of people on FB
Yeah yeah yeah. Another cruise lost to FB.

On our June cruise, discussion on the DIS boards thread pretty much died once the FB page got started. At the meet, the FB people definitely had an advantage knowing people & non FBers were outsiders. Our family was very saddened by it as a non-FB family.

I think it's sad that DIS meets end up on FB and end up being not DIS at all.

I'm only one person with one opinion.

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 09-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #110
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry you guys had bad facebook/disboard experiences. I am only basing it on my experience from my last cruise where everything was updated on both the facebook page and the Disboards thread and everyone was really good about posting on both.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #111
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
I'm sorry you guys had bad facebook/disboard experiences. I am only basing it on my experience from my last cruise where everything was updated on both the facebook page and the Disboards thread and everyone was really good about posting on both.
I wouldn't call it a bad experience. It is just that the DIS meets are just that - DIS meets, not FaceBook meets. People updating back here is not the same as active conversation. I personally find this sad to see more & more things moving towards FB & away from DIS. I think it's a way of alienating a certain population which I just don't think is fair.

We went on Bernard's Tour in St Maarten with our DIS group. While we met some great & very nice people, we felt like we were almost intruding on a group of close friends who had known each other for years.

You guys certainly enjoy yourselves on FB. This will be our 9th cruise & we've always found it awesome to see people on board that we've met on DIS & at DIS meets.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #112
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

And I'm not a sour puss or trying to be nasty. If the *MAJORITY* of people want to start a FB page, so be it. Just please be mindful of those of us that aren't and how it affects us/our feelings & try to see the perspective of those of us who KNOW from experience that updating back to the DIS is not the same.

Thank you.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #113
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Silverfox97;46215418]And I'm not a sour puss or trying to be nasty. If the *MAJORITY* of people want to start a FB page, so be it. Just please be mindful of those of us that aren't and how it affects us/our feelings & try to see the perspective of those of us who KNOW from experience that updating back to the DIS is not the same.

Thank you.

I would never think you are a sour puss! I completely respect how you feel! I know the cruise is over a year away and I already look forward to meeting everyone!!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #114
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if the setup is the same on every cruise? Do they have the spa raffle about the same time on every cruise?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #115
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygrljb View Post
Does anyone know if the setup is the same on every cruise? Do they have the spa raffle about the same time on every cruise?
What is a spa raffle?

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #116
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee

What is a spa raffle?
The first day of the raffle they do a raffle drawing...you have to be there when they call out names. You can win anything from massages to teeth whitening to a personal training session.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #117
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The first day of the raffle they do a raffle drawing...you have to be there when they call out names. You can win anything from massages to teeth whitening to a personal training session.
I meant the first day of the cruise.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #118
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
I checked my Navigators from June & didn't see this......We're doing a Western Dec 8th & I'll post the Navigators here after the cruise. We can look for it!!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #119
luvmygrljb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97

I checked my Navigators from June & didn't see this......We're doing a Western Dec 8th & I'll post the Navigators here after the cruise. We can look for it!!

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #120
kendzee94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post

I found it!!!! On the navigator from 4/14/12 (listed above at staterooms then navigators). It is hidden on page 5....under adults 3:00-3:30 Spa Raffle Senses Spa and Salon.

I also learned that you can share a couples rainforest pass with another person (does not have to be your couple or in your room!!!!) I shared with another disser and they charged each of our rooms 1/2 of the cost.

I can't wait to see the updated navigators to see what they have added/changed since April! Thanks so much!

kendzee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: