Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #211
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Yeah, the tip came from experience - cold, wet experience...
Old 07-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #212
philatiger
Just Goofin Around......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlea98 View Post
Yeah, the tip came from experience - cold, wet experience...
my first ski experience was my last. My first attempt on the bunny slope I was having a hard time stopping and I didn't think to fall, since the goal was not to fall....

So I figured eventually I would slow down. I ended up crashing into a few people watching at the bottom. They were mad at me, but I politely reminded them they were standing at the bottom of the beginner slope... you should have gotten out of the way....

The rest of the day didn't fare too well either.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #213
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatiger View Post
my first ski experience was my last. My first attempt on the bunny slope I was having a hard time stopping and I didn't think to fall, since the goal was not to fall....

So I figured eventually I would slow down. I ended up crashing into a few people watching at the bottom. They were mad at me, but I politely reminded them they were standing at the bottom of the beginner slope... you should have gotten out of the way....

The rest of the day didn't fare too well either.
You used LOGIC??? I'm more and more sure skiing is NOT something I want to try!!!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #214
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-NanaTink View Post
You used LOGIC??? I'm more and more sure skiing is NOT something I want to try!!!
I'll have another go again I think next time the opportunity comes up.

Hubby convinced me (more like cajoled me) into going down the blue slope with him. It took me 45 minutes to get down. Most of that time was spent on my hands and knees, chin-deep in the soft snow, with my skis tangled up beneath me. I think it took me about 10 minutes to then co-ordinate myself enough to connect my boots to my skis and heaven knows how long to get the rest of the way down. My idea at that time was "when in doubt, take the husband out", so I couldn't stop and just aimed myself in his direction - imagine a game of human skittles . Fortunately there was nobody else on the slope to take out or witness my attempts. Unfortunately, by that time, the chair lifts had finished running for the day and we were the last to come down.

The worst part of that trip? It was my children's first time skiing as well (hubby had skied before) and DS10 was going down the diamond slopes by day 3. I hadn't progressed past bunny slopes after day 2 To make myself look good I convinced DD11 (at the time) to stay with me. We mostly rode the lifts on the bunny slope to watch a squirrel in a tree
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #215
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll have another go again I think next time the opportunity comes up.

Hubby convinced me (more like cajoled me) into going down the blue slope with him. It took me 45 minutes to get down. Most of that time was spent on my hands and knees, chin-deep in the soft snow, with my skis tangled up beneath me. I think it took me about 10 minutes to then co-ordinate myself enough to connect my boots to my skis and heaven knows how long to get the rest of the way down. My idea at that time was "when in doubt, take the husband out", so I couldn't stop and just aimed myself in his direction - imagine a game of human skittles . Fortunately there was nobody else on the slope to take out or witness my attempts. Unfortunately, by that time, the chair lifts had finished running for the day and we were the last to come down.

The worst part of that trip? It was my children's first time skiing as well (hubby had skied before) and DS10 was going down the diamond slopes by day 3. I hadn't progressed past bunny slopes after day 2 To make myself look good I convinced DD11 (at the time) to stay with me. We mostly rode the lifts on the bunny slope to watch a squirrel in a tree
I'm picturing it...and putting me in as you....yep, it would have been HIGH-LARRY-US to be sure! I'm not so coordinated! My idea of skiing happens INSIDE the ski lodge...hot toddys in front of the fire....yup...THAT is my speed!

Nov 77-one day WDW; Oct 01--POR; Oct 04--GF; Dec 05--GC Concierge/BC Concierge/Disney Wonder; May 06--GF Concierge; Sept 06- Disney Magic, Western Carib; May 07--SSR; Sept/Oct 07--Disney Magic, Eastern Carib; Jan 08--SSR; April 08 Cont Concierge; Aug 08--GC Concierge; Aug-Sep 08--Disney Magic, Eastbound Panama Canal; Dec 08--GF Palm Club; Apr 09--AKL; Oct 09--SSR; Dec 09--Polynesian-Disney Magic Eastern Carib; May 10--VWL; Jun 10--POFQ; Nov/Dec 10--Disney Magic Western Carib-Saratoga Springs; Feb 11--GC; Jun 11 B2B Disney Dream/Dream; Oct.11--SSR; Jan 12--VWL; May 12--HHI; Jul 12--Magic 2 Day; Nov12--Bay Lake Towers; Nov 12--Fantasy Eastern Carib; Feb 13--POR; May 13--Boardwalk Villas; Oct 13--Old Key West; Dec 13--Fantasy Western Carib; Jan 14--SSR; Jan 14--Dream Bahamas; Sept '14--Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal;
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #216
A Litle Pixie Dust
"Mom..when I grow up..I don't want to be a Princess..I want to be Queen..because the Queen has "all" the power!"

Just stopping in to say hello!

Just getting ready for our October cruise and then maybe I can concentrate on this cruise.

Hope everyone is enjoying Summer. We start school here on Monday so enjoying our last few days of being lazy!
Official Member of the Club!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #217
MinnieCruzer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Litle Pixie Dust View Post
Just stopping in to say hello!

Just getting ready for our October cruise and then maybe I can concentrate on this cruise.

Hope everyone is enjoying Summer. We start school here on Monday so enjoying our last few days of being lazy!
A friend of mine recently found a great military deal on the fall coastal cruises. We were already booked on Carvnival to the Bahamas though. Sounds like a good itinerary--Angie

Royal Caribbean: Viking Serenade, Mexico--June 1995

Carnival: Fantasy, Bahamas--1996, Inspiration, Western Caribbean--2002, Pride, Mexico--2005, Spirit, Mexico--2009, Glory, Nowhere--2010
Glory, Bahamas--2010 (back-to-back), Freedom, Western Caribbean--2010, Legend, Western Caribbean--2012, Glory, Bahamas--2012 (Hurricane Sandy), Miracle, Alaska--May 2013 & Sept. 2013, Carnival Miracle, Mexico--Jan. 2014

America Hawaii: Independence, Hawaii--Aug. 2000

Princess: Star Princess, Alaska--2003, Coral Princess, Panama Canal--2007, Coral Princess, San Francisco to Vancouver--2007, Golden Princess, Mexico--2008, Dawn Princess, Alaska--2008, Crown Princess, Eastern Caribbean--2009, Caribbean Princess, New England/Canada--2009, Sapphire Princess, Mexico--2009, Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean--2011, Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean--2012, Grand Princess, Mexico-2013, Ruby Princess, TA--Sept. 2014

Disney: Magic, Western Caribbean-- Oct. 2009, Magic, Eastern Caribbean--Dec. 2010, Dream, Bahamas--April 2012, Fantasy, Caribbean--Dec. 2013

Norwegian: Epic, Eastern Caribbean--Dec. 2011

Holland-America: Westerdam, Alaska--May 2012

Cunard: Queen Mary 2, Crossing & Gallic Discovery--Aug. 2014

TradeWinds: Pantera, Sint Maarten--Feb. 2013

[/FONT]
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #218
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

I'm wondering if anyone has ever paid a deposit on a cruise then the cost of the cruise has come down and been able to score that cruise at the lower price?

I know many of us have booked our cruises so far in advance and there is the chance there will be great offers coming out in the future if the sales aren't great (we miss out on the wonderful kids sails free stuff as we never hear about it here), but I'm worried about paying the cruise in full then finding out we could have got it cheaper closer to the sail date. For the 4 of us it's already costing over $4000. And that doesn't take into consideration any other costs for us to get over or the rest of our trip.

I know if you have booked the cruise and paid in full then try and change it you have to pay a cancellation fee and possibly lose your OBCs (that happened to a friend who considered re-booking the same cruise at a much lower price than she initially paid and lost her good OBCs), so I'm wondering if I should leave the deposit as it is and then pay the balance off at the last moment, or take advantage of our high $AU compared to $US and pay it all now.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #219
philatiger
Just Goofin Around......

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever paid a deposit on a cruise then the cost of the cruise has come down and been able to score that cruise at the lower price?

I know many of us have booked our cruises so far in advance and there is the chance there will be great offers coming out in the future if the sales aren't great (we miss out on the wonderful kids sails free stuff as we never hear about it here), but I'm worried about paying the cruise in full then finding out we could have got it cheaper closer to the sail date. For the 4 of us it's already costing over $4000. And that doesn't take into consideration any other costs for us to get over or the rest of our trip.

I know if you have booked the cruise and paid in full then try and change it you have to pay a cancellation fee and possibly lose your OBCs (that happened to a friend who considered re-booking the same cruise at a much lower price than she initially paid and lost her good OBCs), so I'm wondering if I should leave the deposit as it is and then pay the balance off at the last moment, or take advantage of our high $AU compared to $US and pay it all now.
Yes, you need to be careful since you do not live in the states. For us in the states, we have up to the final payment date to cancel or change without penalty. We can also take advantage of any price drops should they occur prior to that date. But we too have to be careful when taking advantage of price drops that we don't lose any OBC's. We have never seen any price drops on any of our DCL cruises but I am sure they happen from time to time.

You could always payoff everything but a small amount to take advantage of the dollar.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #220
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've only had it happen once, and my TA is the one who found it and took advantage for me, it was a military discount was added to a cruise we were booked on. I didn't have any obc to worry about however. Sorry I can't be more definitive!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #221
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Just made a big move....hope it pays off!

Keep your fingers crossed...if it happens, this will be a wonderful 35th anniversary!

Now, if only my TA wasn't out enjoying her Saturday!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #222
MinnieCruzer
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We cruise quite a bit and I have seen reductions in price on several of my past cruises. We're currently booked on a Carnival cruise in October. There have been 3 price drops on this cruise that we've taken advantage of so far! I don't make the final payment early. I figure they don't need my money until it's time--even if interest rates are <1%!! I watch prices through Vacationstogo.com and comments on the various boards.

Angie
Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #223
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

We just booked the Art of Animation for the week before our cruise. I hadn't even considered it but it's getting such great reviews I decided I need to check it out! The only thing missing (I think) will be the Christmas tree on Main Street at WDW? I guess I can live with that since I'm sure we'll see plenty of Disney Christmas trees at the resort, at the other parks, on the ship, etc! Quite a while still before I can book character meals, Candlelight Procession, and the Christmas party but I did mark my 2013 calendar as a reminder when I can do that! It sill seems like such a long way off!!
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Wonder - February 2016
Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #224
Va-NanaTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
We just booked the Art of Animation for the week before our cruise. I hadn't even considered it but it's getting such great reviews I decided I need to check it out! The only thing missing (I think) will be the Christmas tree on Main Street at WDW? I guess I can live with that since I'm sure we'll see plenty of Disney Christmas trees at the resort, at the other parks, on the ship, etc! Quite a while still before I can book character meals, Candlelight Procession, and the Christmas party but I did mark my 2013 calendar as a reminder when I can do that! It sill seems like such a long way off!!
good for you! I have to wait until January 1st to book our stay....that's my 11 month window for DVC
probably just be a couple of days versus a week though

Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #225
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatiger View Post

You could always payoff everything but a small amount to take advantage of the dollar.
I was thinking of doing that. As at this morning we were $1.05 to the US $. I've emailed the TA to put $2000 more on the cruise payment but she said the website is only allowing full payments for some reason and has their group's help desk looking into it. I think we have until September '13 to pay in full anyway.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to answering my question.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: