Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I'm on the fence about this. When my oldest two were little they only watched TV in the morning when PBS showed cartoons. But when my third child was 21 months he was diagnosed with leukemia so alot of hospital/sick time meant alot of TV and movies. It's hard to say if it hurt him, he is the most creative of my children, but he also has ADHD (inattentive) and had speech problems (he still has some and stutters). My youngest two boys also have ADHD (one of them is impulsive, the other we're not sure yet). And the youngest is in speech therapy. They watched more TV than the older ones because by that time we had cable, plus older siblings.

My Mom guilt says it's TV. As far as grades, though, they are all in gifted classes except the 12yo that had leukemia and the 7yo hasn't been tested yet, but he does well in school. I just wonder if it "caused" ADHD or the speech problems. I don't know, but I honestly don't think that if your child is only watching an hour or so a day that it is hurting them. I think it's more of a concern if that's the majority of what your child does during the day.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
jp'smommy
Mouseketeer

I am also a first time working mom and I started letting ds (21months) watch a MMCH show every day or 2. I started letting him watch at 18 months so he would know who the characters were when we went to Disney last month. I have been a stickler for this.
CSR Sep 2011
Disney Dream Sep 2012
jp'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

My younger 2 like edutainment. Q is 19 months and Z is 3. They watch Sprout often. Sometimes it will be in the background as they play and sometimes its in the foreground. I really like Team Oomie Zoomie (that is spelled wrong). The show tells them they have mighty math powers and does patterns, shapes, and measurement units on the show. I don't understand how this can be bad for a kids selfesteem and brain,lol!

I would really like to know what these studdies are trying to prove, beyond creating Mommy Guilt or making a Great Parent debate.

Every child is different and needs different things to flourish. Pooh to these studdies!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

My DD began watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at about 10 months of age. She's now 2 1/2 and it's still her favourite show and she has learned SO much from it.

She speaks very well and has an extensive vocabulary....but most of that comes from a chatty Mommy as opposed to the bit of tv she watches each day.

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
I'm on the fence about this. When my oldest two were little they only watched TV in the morning when PBS showed cartoons. But when my third child was 21 months he was diagnosed with leukemia so alot of hospital/sick time meant alot of TV and movies. It's hard to say if it hurt him, he is the most creative of my children, but he also has ADHD (inattentive) and had speech problems (he still has some and stutters). My youngest two boys also have ADHD (one of them is impulsive, the other we're not sure yet). And the youngest is in speech therapy. They watched more TV than the older ones because by that time we had cable, plus older siblings.

My Mom guilt says it's TV. As far as grades, though, they are all in gifted classes except the 12yo that had leukemia and the 7yo hasn't been tested yet, but he does well in school. I just wonder if it "caused" ADHD or the speech problems. I don't know, but I honestly don't think that if your child is only watching an hour or so a day that it is hurting them. I think it's more of a concern if that's the majority of what your child does during the day.
fwiw

I worked as a speech/language pathologist for 16 yrs and, have no fear, watching tv doesn't 'cause' speech problems or stuttering.

I think what the 'experts' are trying to do is to discourage parents from plopping their kids down in front of a tv as an alternative to interacting with them and taking them out into the world as doing so would most definately have a negative impact on their social/emotional/language development. But, as is true in most areas of life, in moderation there are no ill efffects.

Most 'studies' drive me crazy because they always overstate the results, use extremes and treat people like dopes who don't have any common sense
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
BlueChariot
Florida Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
So what's wrong with TV anyway? Really? Is there a downsize? I love TV, and as long as she's watching the RIGHT type of show for her age (no Jerry Springer!!! LOL) , then how can that be harmful?

And as long as I'm not ignoring my child (75% of the time I am watching it with her, next to her... I love cartoons also) then why is there a problem? Geez.
Not that I necessarily agree with this, but the reasoning is that kids under age 2 don't understand interuptions in a story line, such as commercials. They think the commercials are just a continuation of the actual show, and it therefore may contribute to attention deficit disorder.

As a side note, this is really nothing new. "Studies" have suggested for a long time that kids under 2 should not watch TV. That said, DD (who is 15 months) has watched TV with us from a young age. When DH is home, the TV is on, whether we are actually watching it or not (When I am home by myself, I rarely turn the TV on unless there is actually something I want to watch).

Its hard to tell at this age, but I haven't noticed any detriment to my child. As other PPs, she loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, pats along with Little Einsteins, and dances to the theme music from Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I always sit with her when we are watching a show together, and ask her questions about what is going on in the show. She responds by shaking her head yes or no, even says words here and there. DD has an excellent vocabulary for her age...

As for the ADD connection, who knows???
BlueChariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

My son would not watch tv until he was almost 2 so it was easy for me! I didn't even try until after his first birthday though, I just saw no need for it. He'll see enough in his life time and he easily entertained himself. At almost 9 now he still is easily entertained and is allowed 1 hour of screen time a day (tv, computer, ds).

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #23
glk2009
Mouseketeer

Seems like I'm in the minority... DD did not watch TV until she was two and even now it's limited to the weekends only.

To each his own!
glk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

This is one of those things that evolve as you have more kids, I think. My oldest didn't watch TV except by being in the room when DH & I were watching until he was almost 3. My second only watched if her brother was watching, and the TV was off or on CNN while he was at school so that wasn't much. The third? Well, kids #1 & #2 (10 & 7 when the baby was born) decided that half the fun of a baby sister was teaching her to love things like Mickey Mouse from birth. I think she's been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Winnie the Pooh, and the Pixar movies since she was about 4mo old. All three of my kids talked early and developed language quickly so I don't think my laid-back approach to television has done them any harm.

The one line I did draw with my first that I've held to has been no TV with commercials for pre-school-aged kids. They can watch Disney channel, PBS, and such, DVDs, or on-demand/Netflix streaming programs, but no Nickelodeon or Disney XD or other programming that is loaded with commercials that target kids (and I limit that even for the olders, who much prefer Netflix anyway). Young children lack the skills needed to filter out those messages and I didn't want my kid to be asking for a cereal based on its cartoon mascot or a restaurant based on their happy meal toy.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
BLAZEY
Mouseketeer

No TV before 2 here.

My sister is a Speech Pathologist, and told me no TV before 2. Lots of reading, singing and language games. My DD was not really interest in TV before 2 anyhow. We don't have cable either. We have bought some DVD's that she will watch. She has very strong language skills. She is now just over 2.5, and will watch some TV/movies, mostly while I prepare dinner. Granny (my mom) has cable and she can watch it there (Treehouse). I shower and get ready before she gets up, and do other stuff while she naps of DH watches her.
Disneyland Nov 2013, Disneyland Paris May 2014 (DD & I)

Last edited by BLAZEY; 10-20-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
BLAZEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #26
deuceswild10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
My 7.5 month old LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and EVERY time it comes on, she smiles at Mickey and her paci falls out of her mouth. SO CUTE!

So what's wrong with TV anyway? Really? Is there a downsize? I love TV, and as long as she's watching the RIGHT type of show for her age (no Jerry Springer!!! LOL) , then how can that be harmful?

Sorry, but I love television. And as long as I'm not ignoring my child (75% of the time I am watching it with her, next to her... I love cartoons also) then why is there a problem? Geez.
Personally I don't think that a little TV is a problem. But professionals worry that if a child is watching too much TV they are missing out on doing other things such as interactive play, exploring their environment, and getting exercise. Since there is an epidemic of childhood obesity in the USA I guess this is a pretty big concern.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #27
tourguide81
Mouseketeer

My daughter also did not watch tv before the age of 2, and was not too interested until 2.5 or so. Even now it's limited to 1 show every other day or so. We watch an occasional movie, but usually break it up over 2 viewings. It's not that hard to not use it before 2. I'm not super mom either. It's easy to do something when the alternative is not an option.

I think do think it's interesting how parents (myself included) pick which AAP recs we want to follow.

I will say I've read a bit on the tv subject and part of it it related to their activity level. In addition the quick moving pictures and bright flashing colors aren't good or beneficial for a small child's developing brain. They simply do not have the skills to grasp the story line and dont know how to fit what they are seeing into their world. One study showed that babies reacted the same to a show whether shown backwards or forwards. All of this unneeded stimulation is just confusing to them.

Like with any study, there are individuals who do not fit the results. Since it's impossible to do a control study with your own child, we won't know how tv did or didn't affect them.
tourguide81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #28
LaurenLC
DIS Veteran

My 16 month old daughter watches about an hour of TV a day (Not in one sitting, but throughout the day) I actually think it has helped her. The first time she clapped her hands was while watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She patted her hands on her lap for the first time while watching Little Einsteins. She reached her hands high above her head (while saying up) and then reached down to her toes (while saying down) for the first time while watching Mickey's Mousekersize.... TV can't and shouldn't be the sole source of education, but it can help. My daughter has a pretty good vocabulary for her age and is already starting to use two or three words together.
If I've delayed my daughter by letting her watch a little TV then I'd sure like to know how.
LaurenLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #29
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna99 View Post
I'm sure some of you have heard of this topic lately on the news.. apparently it has been proven that children under 2 should not watch ANY television at all..

http://news.yahoo.com/us-doctors-dis...060158712.html

just curious, for those willing to discuss it... do you let your infants (under 2) watch tv and if so, how often/much?

I'll be the first to admit I do allow my 9 month old son to watch a bit.. probably no more than an hour or hour and a half while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning, etc. I don't feel especially bad about this but I am trying to limit even that if I can.

Just wanted some opinions and to get a conversation started. BTW, I'm a first time mom so of course I'm questioning EVERYTHING I do! lol.

thanks!
Have to admit I let my kids watch cartoons and mild TV in the summer but during school year they could not have any TV until 8 PM (that bothered me and husband way more as could not watch the news after work ourselves) and then they got to watch something until 9 or 10 depending on their ages. BUT when my daughter had her kids she allowed NO TV until they like 5 or 6 and then got half hour a day of which she and her husband sat down with them and watched. then as they got to be say 10 they got hour but parents still watched with them or a video. even when the grandkids would come here they never ask to watch TV they wanted to play scrabble or Jinga etc but sure can tell the difference between her kids and say my son's kids. His want everything they see on TV name brands etc they more irritable I have noticed. My daughters kids love to read and his don't. Neither had a Nanny. when daughters kids were left with sitter was in home and TV locked at my daughters...so it has worked well for them as they all do extremley well in school and now college for two of them. My son's do very well in school but is a fuss to get all homework done as they want to watch TV. to much drama over there for my old bones surfweb:

Last edited by canopynut66; 10-20-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: add
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #30
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

I see everyone's point. I feel like it comes down to, how much time you spend with your child vs how much they sit in front of the televisions.

Like I said before, I LOVE sitting in front of the TV with my baby and watching the shows she lights up for, with her. I talk to her, sing with her, point out colors, shapes, etc.
And guess what? If I need to do dishes, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse entertains her!

Not to mention, we are going to Disney in 2 weeks, and I get giddy with the fact she actually recognizes Disney characters. I can't wait to see what she does when she sees the lifesize version! Sorry...that part was off-topic, but I am excited!

Anyway, I still stand by the opinion that TV is what you make of it. Is it a zombifying babysitter? NO. If you want your child to enjoy colors, learning, and (let's be honest) help allow you a few minutes to get things done around the house- then YES.

I love TV. I always have. I'm a huge fan- as long as it doesn't interfere with time you spend with your child.

Tags
infants, television

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: