Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
luna99
Oh great. Now we've got a yeti. - Jamie from Mythbusters I Believe in naps! - Bawb

Babies and television?

I'm sure some of you have heard of this topic lately on the news.. apparently it has been proven that children under 2 should not watch ANY television at all..

http://news.yahoo.com/us-doctors-dis...060158712.html

just curious, for those willing to discuss it... do you let your infants (under 2) watch tv and if so, how often/much?

I'll be the first to admit I do allow my 9 month old son to watch a bit.. probably no more than an hour or hour and a half while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning, etc. I don't feel especially bad about this but I am trying to limit even that if I can.

Just wanted some opinions and to get a conversation started. BTW, I'm a first time mom so of course I'm questioning EVERYTHING I do! lol.

thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
momto2js
DIS Veteran

I think the people that do these studies have nannies!!! It is all me all the time and the risks of mickey mouse clubhouse are far less than the risks to me kids if I don't have a minute to potty alone and occationally make a phone call!!
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

I am a TV addict so yes my kids have watched TV since they were born and they do watch more than the 1 hr limit that is suggested

OP: I remember being a 1st time mom too but if you listen to all these studies it will drive you insane.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

I think the kids who have parents that restrict TV watching are way more into TV than the kids who can watch when they want. That's the case in our house...no hard limit, so they only watch a few minutes in the morning. Sometime we want a break and have the kids sit with us and just watch quietly for a bit....rarely does that work out...they want interactive of physical play with us or each other.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 10-19-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typos
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The largest US pediatricians' group says some of the 50 or so studies on the topic have shown that screen viewing can be linked to slower language development.
Why is it taking more than 50 studies to prove something? If one study doesn't do it conclusively, you have to wonder....
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

My 14 month old watches about 15 min of Disney Jr. in the mornings while we are getting ready for work and then usually 30 min-1hour in the evening right before she goes to bed. She has been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse since she was about 6 months old. She used to sit in the jumparoo and watch it. It was the only way I could get stuff done. She is more actively into watching it now and will point to the t.v. at night and say Mickey.

She has no issues communicating. The study seemed to indicate it would slow down talking and communication skills. My dd starting saying words for objects when she was about 9 months old (bye bye, shoe, mama, dada, apple, kitty) and putting words together when she was abotu 12 months old (busy baby, happy baby, love you). At 14 months old, she can count to 5 and has what I consider to be a very big vocbulary for someone her age. According to other studies the average child doesn't even say thier first real word and know what it means until approx. 13 months. She was doing this at 9 months. I'm not worried. I will continue to let her watch t.v. but probably in limited amounts because we have limited time as both DH and I work full-time. I also like to do other things with her like play with toy, push her on the swing, and take walks.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
deuceswild10
Mouseketeer

My 16 month old twins don't watch much, about 20-30 minutes per week when I'm really desperate and I need to put in one of their Baby Genius videos so that I can use the bathroom, make dinner, etc. They love it and it's easy to see what a convenient thing TV could be, and therefore lead to longer and longer use, which is what I think the AAP is really worried about.

But, they do see the TV on sometimes like on Sundays for Football, or if I want to occasionally put on the news.

I think a little here and there isn't a big deal.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2js View Post
I think the people that do these studies have nannies!!! It is all me all the time and the risks of mickey mouse clubhouse are far less than the risks to me kids if I don't have a minute to potty alone and occationally make a phone call!!

My 7.5 month old LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and EVERY time it comes on, she smiles at Mickey and her paci falls out of her mouth. SO CUTE!

So what's wrong with TV anyway? Really? Is there a downsize? I love TV, and as long as she's watching the RIGHT type of show for her age (no Jerry Springer!!! LOL) , then how can that be harmful?

Sorry, but I love television. And as long as I'm not ignoring my child (75% of the time I am watching it with her, next to her... I love cartoons also) then why is there a problem? Geez.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Just before my son was 2, I had him watch a bunch of signing time videos. He was in speech, he couldn't talk and we were getting nowhere. So in his case, it was quite beneficial. And since his spoken language was not developing...we found another way for him to express himself.

My youngest is 17 months and she doesn't have speech issues and we have not opted to do the same thing because it isn't needed in quite the same way.

A news report with an expert this morning said that it is understandable if you need to use the tv as a sitter every once in a while. It is the people who think that tv will advance their child's intelligence that the studies were talking about. (Baby Einstein, teach my baby this, teach my baby that...)
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

I wonder this too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMan View Post
I think the kids who have parents that restrict TV watching are way more into TV than the kids who can watch when they want. That's the case in our house...no hard limit, so they only watch a few minutes in the morning. Sometime we want a break and have the kids sit with us and just watch quietly for a bit....rarely does that work out...they want interactive of physical play with us or each other.
Mine are 10/12. When I was growing up the tv was always on. I could eat, color, build something or do homework with it on without a problem. Now my kids who have had limits (not much during the week and a movie or two on the weekend) are GLUED to the tube if it's on.. doesn't matter what it is. You can't get their attention at all as they are completely sucked inside.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

DD is 22 months old. Our TV is on Disney Jr all morning long and some Nick Jr too. Her vocabulary is rather extensive for her age, she talked and walked early, she is very social, can count to 17 with no help and can do most of her alphabet. The TV is on but she pays very little attention to it. She knows the characters but she plays with her toys in the living room. Sometimes, like when I am trying to cook dinner, I would LOVE to use the TV as a babysitter. Unfortunately, she doesn't quite get that I want her to sit and watch and not play tunnel through my legs while I chop veggies.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

DD LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! She is 9 1/2 months.

We watch an episode in the morning. It's when I get to eat breakfast, wash up and get dressed and straighten up a little bit.
She's seen Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Little Einsteins and a few of the other Disney Jr shows but she doesn't react to any of them like she does to MMCH.

At the end I always pick her up and we dance around the living room to the Hot Dog dance!

I think in moderation it's fine!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #13
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
DD is 22 months old. Our TV is on Disney Jr all morning long and some Nick Jr too. Her vocabulary is rather extensive for her age, she talked and walked early, she is very social, can count to 17 with no help and can do most of her alphabet. The TV is on but she pays very little attention to it. She knows the characters but she plays with her toys in the living room. Sometimes, like when I am trying to cook dinner, I would LOVE to use the TV as a babysitter. Unfortunately, she doesn't quite get that I want her to sit and watch and not play tunnel through my legs while I chop veggies.
In this situation, the TV has become background noise - something to be ignored as it is just there, on all morning. Your daughter has become immune to the light/noise, etc. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, maybe try leaving it off one morning, and then just turning it on when you need her to leave you alone?

TV wasn't really restricted when my kids were little - but we only had the one set upstairs, and we spent most of our day downstairs. They did watch shows in the morning while I showered, but played beside me while I cooked, cleaned, etc. When they were old enough to be upstairs by themselves, they got to watch TV in the morning while I did the morning chores. But we didn't have a TV in the car, a portable DVD player for the grocery store...

I can see how parents can use video as a babysitter, and one of the trends I have noticed working with special ed students is that TV/computer/video games is all they do when they get home from school.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I have memories of strapping dd15 into her bouncy seat every morning at 8:30, when Blues Clues came on, while I cleaned up breakfast. 9 was nap time, and when I showered. She's a straight A high honor student. and was a very vocal toddler.

Is this the recommendation for only children? Because most people have more than one child, with older kids watching TV anyway.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
kohlby
DIS Veteran

No, my kids didn't watch tv before 2. My third child may have glanced at the tv here and there before 2, which is what happens sometimes with older siblings! Normally, my second child's tv time was during the baby's nap and the oldest's tv time was at 8pm, after the younger 2 were in bed.

I am not superwoman. I am not opposed to someone using the tv for 15 minutes to help them get dinner on the table. However, my kids weren't interested in tv or movies before 2 anyway. There was no reason for me to try before 1, but there were definately times after 18 months that I wish I could have had the tv help me out a little! It took until around age 3 until my older two were really interested in tv. (Youngest is 2.5 years old. He'll watch tv for a few minutes here and there, especially programs geared to older kids).

*All three of my kids have/had articulation issues, but so did I and my mother so it's hereditary. I did teach them all signs quite easily without videos and that helped a lot. My older two had advanced vocabularies all along. My youngest was behind in vocab due to his articuation being beyond terrible. But since then, he's caught up with vocab.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infants, television

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: