Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #751
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntstults View Post
Has anyone done the beach excursion at st marteen? I'm worried that because its a European type beach it won't be family friendly. Thanks!
No I haven't done the excursion and the last time I was in St. Maarten was 12 years ago (pre-kids) and we stayed on the dutch side so didn't have any nudity issues.

That said, I've been reading LOTS of TRs about the island recently. (It's in the SINGLE DIGITS this morning here ---- YOWSERS. Even my mom called me to find out how many days until the cruise --- lol!) So reading about the Caribbean has helping. anyhow, I digress......

Are you talking about the ones to Orient Beach? I read somewhere that there is a nude section to avoid with kids, then a more modest section. Not sure where the excursion goes. Also, several folks have raved about Le Galleon (sp?) beach that was very family friendly and just as nice as Orient.

I'm interested in hearing what folks have heard about St. Maarten, too. Right now, I'm thinking about either doing a Bernard's tour, just staying in the Philipsburg/Dutch area, or going on our own in a taxi. We hope to do a beach on St. Thomas or St. John, so want a low key sort of day there.....but it will also fall on my hubby's birthday, so wanted to do at least something! IDK -- all this might change -- but I'm still enjoying reading about warm weather during this freezing cold spell!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #752
tntstults
Earning My Ears

I see that there are multiple beach excursions. I like the idea of going on our own taxi but I'm nervous having never done it. I was reading about Magen beach but also read its overcrowded.

It's 9 deg here and the windchill is -13 deg.
tntstults is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #753
noahsketomom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see that there are multiple beach excursions. I like the idea of going on our own taxi but I'm nervous having never done it. I was reading about Magen beach but also read its overcrowded.

It's 9 deg here and the windchill is -13 deg.
OH, MY!!!!! I knew it was cold when my mom was asking about the cruise --- she usually just laughs at me when I mention it since it's so far away!!

Magens beach is on St. Thomas, right?
We are hoping to do either an excursion to Honeymoon beach (St. Thomas) or Trunk Bay (St. John). Trunk Bay is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen (at least it was 16 years ago on our honeymoon!). IMHO, it even trumps Hawaii. But it takes so long to get over there -- not sure I want to wast time traveling-- unless it was on a boat.

RE: ST. Maarten I know what you mean about worrying about traveling on your own. At least we've got a longer day (I think?) in St. Maarten. I have a local friend who works on boats and he has spent a lot of time there. We will ask him as times gets closer of his opinion of what to do. He has mentioned Maho beach and the planes. I just don't want to do too much. There is a beach close to the pier, if memory serves. I know most folks don't think it's that nice compared to those on the French side, so I must be easily impressed.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #754
casilliman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Has anyone done the beach excursion at st marteen? I'm worried that because its a European type beach it won't be family friendly. Thanks!
I am a big fan of Trip Advisor, type any location in the browser, I have read hundreds of reviews over the years with them, and most are very accurate. Orient beach got pretty good reviews, they say there are 'clothing optional' beaches on the french side. I am interested in finding a way to Maho beach, to watch the planes come and go. I would put a link on here for you but it never works when I try .... just google it, looks amazing to see!!

Last edited by casilliman; 01-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.
casilliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #755
disneydiva16
DIS Veteran

Here's one link to Maho Beach.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbRRLgtmu0
CRAZY!!But we are going to do that too. My husband wants to video tape a plane or two landing.

Christy, I read in your answers to the "get to know ya" questionnaire that you sailed to Alaska. Was it on Disney? I am hoping to get there in 2015. Did you do a veranda or an ocean view? We are trying to decide which is better to have. What do you think? Please say inside cuz it's cheaper.

RobinDh Matt ds22 dd14 dd7
https://sites.google.com/site/counti...olidays121314/Link to web page!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #756
casilliman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva16 View Post
Here's one link to Maho Beach.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbRRLgtmu0
CRAZY!!But we are going to do that too. My husband wants to video tape a plane or two landing.

Christy, I read in your answers to the "get to know ya" questionnaire that you sailed to Alaska. Was it on Disney? I am hoping to get there in 2015. Did you do a veranda or an ocean view? We are trying to decide which is better to have. What do you think? Please say inside cuz it's cheaper.
Wish Granted We stayed inside and it was much less than a verandah room. I looked at it this way, the whole ship has a deck, really.. The warmest day was 65 degrees we FROZE up there, I felt warm and snuggly inside actually.

It was amazing, words can't explain how beautiful it was to cruise up the inside passage, past glaciers and whales. Disney of course does it in style. The White Pass Railroad was the best excursion we took, well worth it, we felt, and we loved Liarsville. My husband goes fishing in the NW Territories of Canada yearly, he loves Canada, so the Alaska trip was right up his alley. The characters all decked out in fishing gear and winter clothes was a lovely chagne up in in August, vs going to the islands in January. Book it and GO !!!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #757
ForTheLoveOfDCL
A Dream is a wish your <3 makes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilliman View Post
Wish Granted We stayed inside and it was much less than a verandah room. I looked at it this way, the whole ship has a deck, really.. The warmest day was 65 degrees we FROZE up there, I felt warm and snuggly inside actually.

It was amazing, words can't explain how beautiful it was to cruise up the inside passage, past glaciers and whales. Disney of course does it in style. The White Pass Railroad was the best excursion we took, well worth it, we felt, and we loved Liarsville. My husband goes fishing in the NW Territories of Canada yearly, he loves Canada, so the Alaska trip was right up his alley. The characters all decked out in fishing gear and winter clothes was a lovely chagne up in in August, vs going to the islands in January. Book it and GO !!!
Thank you Thank you Thank You Christy!! I am traveling with Robin(well hopefully if we can make our kids schedules work) and I have been convincing her we need to spend the extra and be on Disney for Alaska. I said let's just get a cheaper cabin and forgo the verandah. So thanks for telling her all that.... Locking her in!!!!!!

ForTheLoveOfDCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #758
casilliman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfDCL View Post
Thank you Thank you Thank You Christy!! I am traveling with Robin(well hopefully if we can make our kids schedules work) and I have been convincing her we need to spend the extra and be on Disney for Alaska. I said let's just get a cheaper cabin and forgo the verandah. So thanks for telling her all that.... Locking her in!!!!!!
My pleasure! I hope to go back to Alaska one day too.. but alas, after this cruise will be a trip to the park in 14 ( Lord willing!) Once a year Disney is a reach for us, we average every two to three year trip. You all that do this so often are blessed !!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #759
lianne_0325
Mouseketeer

Alaska is my dream cruise. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there. One day I will make it.

My husband on the other hand enjoys the warmer climates for cruising. I figure since we live in Florida and have our own jet ski that seeing something drastically different than home would be preferable.
lianne_0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #760
SEVP
Nova Scotia, Canada

OK. I am catching up on the last few pages and I have been giggling about the comments re the cold weather.

It is -35 degrees C right now in Northern Nova Scotia, Canada. Seriously. You can google it if you think I'm kidding. My sister, who lives in Alberta told me not to complain as it is -48 where she is.

-10??? That's beach weather

Gotta go google and see who my Disney character is . . .

S.
2013 DCL - Fantasy
2014 DCL - Fantasy
2014 WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter
SEVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #761
SEVP
Nova Scotia, Canada

Ok. So those quizzes are addictive. Depending on which quiz I was Mr, Incredible, Mickey Mouse, Pocahontas and Nala!

Going to try and figure out how to cut and paste that questionaire . . .
2013 DCL - Fantasy
2014 DCL - Fantasy
2014 WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter
SEVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #762
disneydiva16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVP View Post
OK. I am catching up on the last few pages and I have been giggling about the comments re the cold weather.

It is -35 degrees C right now in Northern Nova Scotia, Canada. Seriously. You can google it if you think I'm kidding. My sister, who lives in Alberta told me not to complain as it is -48 where she is.

S.
There you are Sonja! Where have you been?! Oh wait....you have been hibernating!!!!! Atleast that is what I would be doing at those temperatures That is crazy cold. It works out to be -25 degrees fehrenheit right? YIKES!!!!

RobinDh Matt ds22 dd14 dd7
https://sites.google.com/site/counti...olidays121314/Link to web page!!

Last edited by disneydiva16; 01-24-2013 at 09:29 PM.
disneydiva16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #763
jeaneanv
Earning My Ears

Mvmcp?

I keep seeing this on places---what does it stand for and is it on the cruise or something in the park a head of time.

Also for the FE- I saw you are thinking of splitting the list...that would be great. the last cruise we were on and my first FE I had 65 rooms....that was a lot

if I'm missing any news please update me....one fun thing is we are bringing a service dog along too....we're having fun getting all of his "outfits" for the cruise together.
jeaneanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #764
casilliman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVP View Post

S.
WOW, that's about all I got .... Freakin' WOW.. I shall not complain one bit during the impending ice storm tomorrow. We expect a balmy 24 F and sleet / snow/ ice all day. How on earth do you live in that ?!?!!?! How do you get your car doors open to go to work !?!??!?! How does your dog go pee ?!?!?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #765
ForTheLoveOfDCL
A Dream is a wish your <3 makes........

Quote:
I am a big fan of Trip Advisor, type any location in the browser, I have read hundreds of reviews over the years with them, and most are very accurate. Orient beach got pretty good reviews, they say there are 'clothing optional' beaches on the french side. I am interested in finding a way to Maho beach, to watch the planes come and go. I would put a link on here for you but it never works when I try .... just google it, looks amazing to see!!
I am so excited to do Maho beach as well. We used to have a spot by Cleveland airport that we could go watch but that has since changed so the MAho beach intrigues me. I think sunglasses to protect eyes from flying sand is a must!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaneanv View Post
I keep seeing this on places---what does it stand for and is it on the cruise or something in the park a head of time.

Also for the FE- I saw you are thinking of splitting the list...that would be great. the last cruise we were on and my first FE I had 65 rooms....that was a lot

if I'm missing any news please update me....one fun thing is we are bringing a service dog along too....we're having fun getting all of his "outfits" for the cruise together.
Welcome aboard!!!! MVMCP= Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It is the Christmas time special event at the magic Kingdom. Are you going to maybe go before the cruise?. Jeanean I saw you filled out the questionaire. Thank you. I added Beamer to our web page roll call list too, but also reminded people that Beamer is working so please to teach their kids not to call his name. Please inform us of all the rules of approaching Beamer as we wouldn't want to distract him from the job at hand. I am excited to make Beamer a FE gift... LOL Yes seeing there are about 26 or so FE participants already we thought we would like to keep it at about 30, seeing it is Christmas time. Here is a link to our facebook page. You can come there and ask to join our private page and also post things there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/302836943149985/
Quote:
WOW, that's about all I got .... Freakin' WOW.. I shall not complain one bit during the impending ice storm tomorrow. We expect a balmy 24 F and sleet / snow/ ice all day. How on earth do you live in that ?!?!!?! How do you get your car doors open to go to work !?!??!?! How does your dog go pee ?!?!?
I know u aren't used to REAL WINTER WEATHER like us Northerners. I know your TN towns shut down with just an inch. Real people drive in blizzards and don't wear gloves below freezing temps. Some of us have thick skin and are tough... and some of us aren't. Are animals pee---- pee-sicles

ForTheLoveOfDCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: