Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #931
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom3NY View Post
How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
I went through Budget got the smallest car I could get since its only the two of us. The car is a Hyundai Accent. The total was 112.48 total. I did get the loss damage waiver (extra insurance) since I had a bad experience before when I got into an accident and didn't have it so I had to pay the deductible. Minus the extra insurance 25.99 it would have been 86.49
I am very glad I did this. We will be at the port by 11 and get on the ship with plenty of time to explore. Budget also has a shuttle to drop us off at the port. As you can tell by the posts before the ME from the resorts may not get there till as late as between 2 and 3. It's a few extra dollars but well worth it to me
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #932
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

I figure ME was gonna cost me 70 dollars so for another 40 dollars could have been 16 my choice because of insurance. I have piece of mind and I control what time I get to the port. The CM from DVC said pick up would between 11 and 1 depending on how many other stops at the other DW resorts. Two hours is a too big of a window I am a first time cruiser and do not want to deal with too many uncertainties if I don't have to. The few extra dollars for the rental compared to the cost of the trip is pennies. But piece of mind and not having to rush is priceless.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #933
Mom3NY
Earning My Ears

Perfect! So happy I read this thread this morning. After I called enterprise and made my reservations they now appear sold out. Got it just in time!!! With my family of 5 it comes out to the same for a Suv (ford escape etc) $175.49 one way. We are staying at the Disney beach club Feb 15. Flight gets in at 10am it's nice to have the flexibility and not worry about getting late to port. Super excited!

DH
DW (me)

DD turning (13) in Jan
DS turning (9) in Feb
DD turning (5) on cruise
Mom3NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #934
FREEZIN
FREEZIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewsMommy View Post
I don't know where exactly I read it, but I also heard the ME pick up at resorts is rather late and it picks up at several resorts. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge pre-cruise and I am arranging private transportation to the port.
Hi MatthewsMommy,
The Wilderness Lodge is our favorite on property stay,especially
the boat shuttle right to Magic Kingdom.
If you have enough time right next to you is the Wilderness campground
and in the eve they have marshmellow toasting around a campfire with
Disney movies playing on an outdoor screen.I think we watched the
Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Knotts.It was a nice time for our kids.
FREEZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #935
FREEZIN
FREEZIN

Quote:
Perfect! So happy I read this thread this morning. After I called enterprise and made my reservations they now appear sold out. Got it just in time!!! With my family of 5 it comes out to the same for a Suv (ford escape etc) $175.49 one way. We are staying at the Disney beach club Feb 15. Flight gets in at 10am it's nice to have the flexibility and not worry about getting late to port. Super excited!
Glad things worked out for everyone,so much planning goes into these
Surf & Turf vacations.Last minute surprises such as "we're not getting you to the ship until 3pm",when you are packed and ready to leave the resort by 9
is not the way of rewarding Discruisers for spending thier prestay on property.
FREEZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #936
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEZIN

Glad things worked out for everyone,so much planning goes into these
Surf & Turf vacations.Last minute surprises such as "we're not getting you to the ship until 3pm",when you are packed and ready to leave the resort by 9
is not the way of rewarding Discruisers for spending thier prestay on property.
Definitely the best planning tool We had for this first time cruise was this DIS forum especially this particular thread. A big thanks to all of you for all the help and answers you have given. If we meet up with any of you on the cruise the first drink is on me.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #937
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
Definitely the best planning tool We had for this first time cruise was this DIS forum especially this particular thread. A big thanks to all of you for all the help and answers you have given. If we meet up with any of you on the cruise the first drink is on me.
We can discuss a cruise meet if/when/where.

On my first cruise (on the Magic) we all met briefly on boarding day in the Promenade Lounge on deck 4.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #938
robhawk
DIS Veteran

Boarding day would probably be best. We get to recognize everyone's face right away. Right after muster drill maybe???
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #939
MatthewsMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEZIN View Post
Hi MatthewsMommy,
The Wilderness Lodge is our favorite on property stay,especially
the boat shuttle right to Magic Kingdom.
If you have enough time right next to you is the Wilderness campground
and in the eve they have marshmellow toasting around a campfire with
Disney movies playing on an outdoor screen.I think we watched the
Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Knotts.It was a nice time for our kids.
That's great to hear! We've been to WDW a couple of times but this will be the first time in a Deluxe Resort. We really liked it there after dining at Whispering Canyon, and since it's only 3 nights, we thought we'd go for it. We might have time for that campfire on the 2nd night but we do want to make it an early night because we have an early ADR at Chef Mickey's for DS' birthday breakfast

And I agree about how helpful this board has been! Just wish I had more time to read through it more, maybe after the holidays.

And I booked our transport from the resort to the port today, we're using Happy Limo. It costs more than the ME but we're on our own schedule, and it will be a special trip since we're hoping at that point, the cruise will still be a surprise for DS. We're using DCL transport from port to airport. Now I need to call Disney to let them know we changed our flight time for arrival. Getting there by 2 pm is a lot better than 6:30 pm!

MatthewsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #940
silmarg
SIL

We have an intermediate SUV (Ford Escape or similar) for $50 ($64.94 w all the fees tacked on) from Budget using offer code: BCD Y937800

We are doing Alamo on the return trip. Port to WDW Car Care Center. $55.99 ($59.18 incl taxes) for an intermediate car. I cant find the offer code I used there.
2009 Feb - WDW (POP - buy 4 get 7 impromptu trip | Aug/Sep - Nine Days of FREE DINING and FREE SSR upgrade!
2010 Feb - Taking my parents to POR w Grand Kids | Sept - Pop Free Dining Bounce Back
2011 Feb - Grand California DVC Welcome Home | Aug - Disney Dream!!! (AKV b4 and BCV after)
2012 Feb - Carribean Beach / SSR split stay | Sept - 5 day NYC/Canadian Cruise on Magic | Oct - 3 day suprise the kids trip MNSSHP / F&W @ OKW
2013 Feb - Disney Fantasy (western) | Aug/Sept - Parents 50th Anniv. Disney Fantasy (eastern) and WDW (OKW)
2014 Feb - VGC and ABD BSM
2014 Aug - BLT
2014 Sept - Disney Magic Southern Caribbean (still on the fence on this one)
silmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #941
Mom3NY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by silmarg
We have an intermediate SUV (Ford Escape or similar) for $50 ($64.94 w all the fees tacked on) from Budget using offer code: BCD Y937800

We are doing Alamo on the return trip. Port to WDW Car Care Center. $55.99 ($59.18 incl taxes) for an intermediate car. I cant find the offer code I used there.
What's the port location for budget?

DH
DW (me)

DD turning (13) in Jan
DS turning (9) in Feb
DD turning (5) on cruise
Mom3NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #942
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What's the port location for budget?
I checked it on Google maps and its about 2 miles from the the port. They have a shuttle.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #943
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

We are trying to decide when to arrive at PC. Check in starts at eleven can't get on ship till one. According to Google maps about an hour or little more from WDW resort to PC. We will be doing preboard checkin. Can some one please give some insight into how long does checkin take, are you better off waiting till about noon for checkin depending on crowds and if their are things to do while you wait to board if you get there early.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #944
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
We are trying to decide when to arrive at PC. Check in starts at eleven can't get on ship till one. According to Google maps about an hour or little more from WDW resort to PC. We will be doing preboard checkin. Can some one please give some insight into how long does checkin take, are you better off waiting till about noon for checkin depending on crowds and if their are things to do while you wait to board if you get there early.
Check in is very fast.

What takes time is they announce every family and take their pictures.

Really not much to do before hand.

I think Mickey and Minnie make a appearance before with pic opportunity.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #945
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
What takes time is they announce every family and take their pictures.
Last year I noticed that if you go far right and dodge behind a sign there is actually a path where you can skip the family photo lines. I plan to look for that next time as we honestly don't want the photo anyway, and for all the speed of boarding that part (although actually very quick) was a bit of a bottleneck.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: