Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #856
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
Me and my wife are first time cruisers but big Disney fans. We will be sailing on this cruise with no kids. Anybody else on this cruise had any experience doing DCL with no kids.
Almost. We sailed with our teen boys. We hardly ever saw them. Aside from seeing them briefly in the morning, for dinner and when they snuck in at night for bed, the DH and I were on our own. We kept in touch by wave phone when needed.

This time it's just the DH and I.

I was recently told by a Disney sales manager that, contrary to what you may think, despite the fact that Disney is set up as an all ages, family friendly line, more people sail on DCL without kids, than with kids. Who knew, right?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #857
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Guest ashore and guest aboard times

Question from a first timer. My reservation summary has guest ashore times and guest aboard time. Does guest ashore mean that is when you are allowed to start going ashore. The reason I ask is I have a time for guest ashore Grand Cayman 11:30 and have a submarine excursion for 11:45.
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #858
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Question from a first timer. My reservation summary has guest ashore times and guest aboard time. Does guest ashore mean that is when you are allowed to start going ashore. The reason I ask is I have a time for guest ashore Grand Cayman 11:30 and have a submarine excursion for 11:45.
Yes, the guest ashore times for the ports is the time they generally expect to release guests to leave the ship.

Grand Cayman is also a tender-only port so you will be taking a boat from the Fantasy over to the shore. At the others ports the ship will be at a dock and you walk off.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #859
friends with mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me and my wife are first time cruisers but big Disney fans. We will be sailing on this cruise with no kids. Anybody else on this cruise had any experience doing DCL with no kids.
This will be our third Disney cruise without kids so we must like it There are so many adult only areas on the ship as well on Castaway Cay you will have a great time. My tip would be to book the late dining as there are fewer kids at the later time. The aqua duck is fun for adults so do try it. Check the navigator each day for the adult activities. You will find many adult only cruisers on the ship.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #860
robhawk
DIS Veteran

We will be cruising without kids for the first time! We did Vero Beach last February without kids. It felt weird at first but very relaxing.

Rob & Sue
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #861
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Is this a DCL excursion or one you booked on your own?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #862
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958
I'm on that one too. I'm also a first timer, but from what I understand, they ensure that those on excursions are first on the beach.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #863
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
Is this a DCL excursion or one you booked on your own?
This is a DCL excursion. Its the Atlantis submarine. We may be ok. From some research I'm doing people are saying by booking DCL excursions they will make sure you make it. They wouldn't allow you to book it if it was going to be a problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #864
Mom3NY
Earning My Ears

Has anyone started a thread for kids?

DH
DW (me)

DD turning (13) in Jan
DS turning (9) in Feb
DD turning (5) on cruise
Mom3NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #865
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a DCL excursion. Its the Atlantis submarine. We may be ok. From some research I'm doing people are saying by booking DCL excursions they will make sure you make it. They wouldn't allow you to book it if it was going to be a problem.
Yes, if it's a DCL excursion, then there's no issue at all. For comparison my DCL excursion for Grand Cayman lists the start time as 11:15. The "start time" also includes assembling on the ship with your DCL coordinator. You'll get much more specific instructions once on the ship.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #866
DizDragonfly

Quote:
Yup, if DCL is arranging it, don't worry about a thing. They'll take care of it!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #867
Smittycait
Earning My Ears

I have a question about the characters and photos. At the character meet and greets are there photographers or do you bring your own camera? Also friends of ours went on a cruise in 2007 and they got some pretty sweet pictures with mickey...and it was them, mickey and a white background and it was taken by a photographer. They don't remember where they had them done on the ship. Do they still do stuff like this? How do you find out about it b/c I don't see it in old navigators?

Also silly questions, but what about lunch when you're on the ship? Do they have sit down lunch? are you assigned times? or do you just go to quick service?
Smittycait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #868
DizDragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittycait View Post
I have a question about the characters and photos. At the character meet and greets are there photographers or do you bring your own camera? Also friends of ours went on a cruise in 2007 and they got some pretty sweet pictures with mickey...and it was them, mickey and a white background and it was taken by a photographer. They don't remember where they had them done on the ship. Do they still do stuff like this? How do you find out about it b/c I don't see it in old navigators?

Also silly questions, but what about lunch when you're on the ship? Do they have sit down lunch? are you assigned times? or do you just go to quick service?
They have photographers and you can bring your own cameras.

Those photos with Mickey (and others) on the backgrounds are usually taken in the Atrium, before dinner seating times.

For lunch, there will be options listed in your daily Navigator. There is the buffet at Cabanas and usually one restaurant has a sit down option. There is also room service or the quick options up on the pool deck. Times are not assigned, but each location will have operating hours.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #869
DizDragonfly

You can see the Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner schedule on the right side of this Navigator:

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #870
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Me and my favorite lady will be first time cruisers on this cruise with no kids. One question I have for the veteran DCL cruisers is this. Do any of the bars or clubs on the ship have a must try specialty drink or a beer I won't find anywhere else that We must try. When me and the wife were in Hawaii before I was at this bar that served the greatest Mai Tai I ever tasted so we are always trying to taste something different when we travel.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: