Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Angry Vent OT - How would you handle this? Update 12/19/11

My friend daughter is having a commitment ceremony, in Orlando while we are on vacation. My husband and I (we are a straight couple)RSVP'ed that we would be attending. I helped my friend raise her daughter, and have remained close with her thru the years. I know her DD's partner and they are so happy and really good together.

Well my friend now is involved with a narrow mind man who is coming between my friend and her DD. Here's the kicker, I received a email from my friend telling me that if I attend her DD's ceremony we are no longer going to be able to be friends. And that I should cut all ties to her until she comes to her sense's.She also stated that she never knew about her DD's choice. Which that statement is a bunch of BS.. All I could think was WHAT........... REALLY...... Well guess what...I don't want to be friends with someone who does not support their children. How dare she tell me what I can do and use our friendship as a threat. Well my DH and I are going and we are going to support her and her partner. I have not emailed her back yet. I wanted to get some thoughts and input and to calm down before I do.

Any suggestion on how to handle it?

Update 12/19/11

I just wanted everyone to know that we attended the ceremony and it was lovely. Both the Brides were beautiful, and they were surrounded by people who loved and supported them. We had a wonderful time. Both of them were so happy and full of love for each other, it was touching and sweet.

On a personal note, to find love is a wonderful gift but to have someone return your love is truly a blessing.

Unfortunately my friend did not attend her daughter's wedding, and she did send me a very nasty email, which I did not mention to the Bride's both of them asked me if I knew if she was going to attend. I just said I did not know, something's are better left unsaid or repeated. I could not be sadder for my friend and the loss of not seeing her daughter on her day. On the email that she sent, I did not respond. I just deleted it and sent it to the trash as it was full of garbage.

Last edited by LovesTimone; 12-19-2011 at 08:08 AM.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

I would just copy and send her this part of you're statement above.

"I don't want to be friends with someone who does not support their children. How dare she tell me what I can do and use our friendship as a threat. Well my DH and I are going and we are going to support her and her partner."

I would also probably tell her she was a weak minded fool under the spell of an *******.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Swmhc
DIS Veteran

Good for you !!! Sounds like you are far more supportive of her than her own mother. I just don't get people. One of my nieces is transgender and her father is awful. It's good for the kids to have someone in their corner. I think (hope) in a couple more generations, we will be a much kinder people.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Go to the ceremony and be there for the dd. It is a shame that your friend is allowing a man to dictate her relationship to her daughter.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

I agree with the others. Tell her exactly what you told us - you don't want to be friends with someone who can't support her own child. And make sure that her daughter knows she can turn to you for support if her mother refuses.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
My friend daughter is having a commitment ceremony, in Orlando while we are on vacation. My husband and I (we are a straight couple)RSVP'ed that we would be attending. I helped my friend raise her daughter, and have remained close with her thru the years. I know her DD's partner and they are so happy and really good together.

Well my friend now is involved with a narrow mind man who is coming between my friend and her DD. Here's the kicker, I received a email from my friend telling me that if I attend her DD's ceremony we are no longer going to be able to be friends. And that I should cut all ties to her until she comes to her sense's.She also stated that she never knew about her DD's choice. Which that statement is a bunch of BS.. All I could think was WHAT........... REALLY...... Well guess what...I don't want to be friends with someone who does not support their children. How dare she tell me what I can do and use our friendship as a threat. Well my DH and I are going and we are going to support her and her partner. I have not emailed her back yet. I wanted to get some thoughts and input and to calm down before I do.

Any suggestion on how to handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGaellon View Post
I agree with the others. Tell her exactly what you told us - you don't want to be friends with someone who can't support her own child. And make sure that her daughter knows she can turn to you for support if her mother refuses.
I would NOT cut off your friendship with this friend... as she will NEED it.. probably sooner than later.

I would Definitely attend the wedding, with all you blessings. but it sounds to me like this wedding is not the problem, but that your friend is involved with a controlling man who has suddnely "changed" your friend's viewpoints on things

and so I would NOT allienate this friendship, just keep it on the shelf, until she is ready... sounds like she will need you.. sooner , rather than later....

Last edited by smidgy; 10-20-2011 at 12:52 AM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
DisneylandDenizen
Earning My Ears

Just like what everyone said, all you can really do is be there.
DisneylandDenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

OP here,
Just wanted to say Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did email her back after reading what everyone wrote and by this time I had calmed down. I did let her know that I could not believe that she was not supporting her Dd and that I would always be supportive of her, and that my DH and I would be attending. And that while she felt that we could not be freinds because of this, that I was still there for her and would still be her friend. I did ask her to reconsider going to the ceremony and that if she did not it could cause much regret later on, and damage any future relationship with her DD. I did wish her well. I just feel like this whole thing is so sad for her ( my friend) and she just does not see it. I hope she opens her eyes before Dec. when the ceremony takes place.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
wcpamotm
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
I would NOT cut off your friendship with this friend... as she will NEED it.. probably sooner than later.

I would Definitely attend the wedding, with all you blessings. but it sounds to me like this wedding is not the problem, but that your friend is involved with a controlling man who has suddnely "changed" your friend's viewpoints on things

and so I would NOT allienate this friendship, just keep it on the shelf, until she is ready... sounds like she will need you.. sooner , rather than later....
This, I think. You might be viewing each other from opposite sides of a chasm for quite a while, and it will be incumbent on her to cross the bridge if she's ever inclined. But there's no need to burn the bridge.

[2014] June - Port Orleans ???? | May - Grand Floridan Villas 1429 [2013] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4535 | Aug - Saratoga Springs 8836 | June - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4543 | May - Beach Club Villas 269 [2012] May - Animal Kingdom Villas 5428 [2011] Dec - Boardwalk Villas 4064 | Jun - Royal Plaza 306 [2010] Dec - Old Key West 3836 | Aug - Bay Lake Tower 8237 [2009] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 1556 | Apr - Yacht Club 4057 [2007] Dec - Caribbean Beach 1231 [2004] May - Pop Century 6403 [2003] May - Coronado Springs 3492 [2002] Dec - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2203 | May - Boardwalk Inn 2266 [2001] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 5111 & Yacht Club 2061| May - Animal Kingdom Lodge 5136 [2000] Dec - Dixie Landings 1857 | May - Coronado Springs 7621 [1999] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 3023 | May - Beach Club 3584 | Mar - Caribbean Beach 4343 [1998] Nov - Port Orleans 3331 | Jun - Polynesian [1997] Dec - Dixie Landings 8420 | Jun - offsite [1994] Mar - Port Orleans 4301 [1992] Nov - offsite [1989] Apr - Caribbean Beach 1344 [72,73,75,76,82] stayed w/family ... and a few other times when I was in town doing something else ...
wcpamotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Definitely support the daughter, by all means.

With regard to the mother, try pulling her aside and making it clear to her that failing to support her daughter at this time will be a hurt that will last forever. She may go on to be hideously sorry for it in years to come, but nothing will ever erase it completely. She needs to hear it from someone who cares enough about the daughter to talk frankly with her. If she is prepared to permanently damage her relationship with her child, then so be it. At least you will have done everything possible to push her to reconsider.

Then stand back and be there for the daughter, because it's going to hurt. A lot.

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I am just now seeing your original post and the follow up. It sounds to me like you handled it very well.
I am glad you will be there for the ceremony and for the girl you helped to raise--she is really going to need that if her mother does not reconsider.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
BikeFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTimone View Post
I don't want to be friends with someone who does not support their children.
That REALLY depends on what the children in question are doing. Speaking generally and not about this particular case, there are definitely some actions that a parent should NOT support.
BikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

My first thought when I read this was...did this really come from the mother or is it the narrow minded a$$ she's hooked up with.

I'm pretty opinionated about these types of things so excuse me if I get a little agitated. It comes from the fact that 20-something years ago, when I was still in school, my best friend was gay and he got horribly bullied and beaten. I ended up becoming his bodyguard as much as I was his friend and I really find this stuff offensive...

GOOD FOR YOU for going to the ceremony !

My response to the email would be short and sweet.

The fact that you can pick your latest beau over your child, much less lie and claim you knew nothing about her partner is a disgrace. I'll be going to their ceremony and if you have any sense you will too. As for our "friendship", your need will always be greater than mine on that account and when your partner is long gone and you are sitting around regretting that you missed your daughter's big day, I promise not to be as judgemental as you are and give you my support.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Wow I agree with everyone go and say bye bye to this so called friend. I'm sure her daughter will need some support since her mother won't have anything to do with her anymore/
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
SilverSynchro919
Who needs a Pal Mickey when I'm around? =P

My closest friend in the entire world happens to be transgender - he was born female, and as a teenager, he began the transition from female to male. He now goes solely by his chosen name, and has been "passing" for a very long time. His younger sister, who just today turned sixteen, also recently has come out as a lesbian.

Their mother has been supportive of both of her children - she isn't always the best mother, but she loves her kids and does what she can to support them in their sexual orientation and gender identity. However, she's dating a real jerk of a guy right now, and this man has not only denied my best friend of his gender identity, but has asked him to take his little sister with him when he moves out, since their lifestyle is "not conducive to having a teenager around." He is bigoted and downright rude, and is causing a huge rift in the otherwise close relationship between my friends and their mother.

My point in sharing all of this is that being a relationship can SEVERELY change a person's thoughts and beliefs. Your friend will probably come around, but it will probably have to involve getting rid of this guy.

DM DF irate: Me (22) DB (16) and Luna
SilverSynchro919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: