Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #361
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Sometimes I hate posting from my phone because part of my post disappears and I don't know it until later. And what I posted didn't even really make sense!! I had to go back and edit my original post! LOL

What I was trying to say is I am totally infamous for running around and trying to pack at the very last second and that really isn't good for me and for my health. Stress is exceptionally bad for my health issues. When we went to FL back in July it was a good thing we had a late flight that day as I was packing my suitcase that afternoon and I was just dumping stuff into it!! I was going to be in FL for over two weeks so I needed a LOT of stuff. And I had to make sure I took my medical stuff that would be really hard to get down there as the equipment is sorta kinda expensive to replace on a whim and not really the kind you rent. Anyway, so I have started a rubbermaid bin and a clothes basket. Our summer is pretty much over here. I want to go, I just need to be organized is all!
Ah yes that makes much more sense. And I can totally relate! I start packing way before DH and he finishes like 30 mins later. Then I'm up half the night packing and then wonder why I'm so tired the next morning. I usually get to a point where I say, if I forgot it, I'll just have to buy it! As long as I have the things that I can't go out an buy easily, I zip up that suitcase and try very hard not to think about it and fall asleep. My FIL has to take a lot of medical stuff with him when he travels and I know that my awesome MIL is probably the one who organizes all that important stuff. In fact, she might just pack everything for both of them. I can totally see that happening.

Quote:
I have a cabin assignment; it is 8090. I have been told it is final and I won't be moved.

I couldn't sleep so I read through some of the old posts tonite...

We will be at POP as well prior to the cruise!! We arrive at POP on the 31st! Maybe we will see you there...

I bought each of my DD's luggage from Kohl's for their Bdays the other year. They each got a different make because they wanted different colors/features. Shockingly, both of them had their luggage ripped by the airline on the first use!! I Would strongly recommend looking for one that has the protective rubber strips on the back side as that is where both cases were ripped. The airline agreed that it was their fault and covered the damage, but needless to say, my girls were very disappointed. One was so damaged is was not repairable, so her set no longer matches. The other suitcase, they fixed by adding those rubber strips to it so that it is now protected against that kind of damage in the future.

Wow, how were you able to find that out?
Yay for cabin assignment! And also have fun at POP before the trip. We'll be in WDW beforehand too - but at CBR. And good to know about the suitcases - I will look for those rubber strips. Glad to know that if the airline damages it that badly that they might admit fault and reimburse you for it. I have this 24 inch suitcase that has been everywhere with me (well actually DH, its too small for me so I usually take my mom's suitcase!!) in the past 4-5 years and it hasn't been damaged at all. I think its an American Tourister? Nothing fancy, but it has held up so well. Wish I could go back in time and get the larger size to match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondeegoh View Post
I checked our reservations again and it seems we've been assigned our cabin - #8144. yay! we have a home! 27 more days! i still haven't told the girls they're going. I've been busy making all FE's and realized we don't have a fish extender i suppose i'll get on that one of these days...
Yay for another cabin assignment! And if all else fails with the FE - you can find many creative ideas that people have used on the DIS somewhere. I've seen everything from drawstring backpacks and reusable shopping totes to zippered pencil cases, and even one time, a simple gift bag with a mickey sticker on it!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #362
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
I have a cabin assignment; it is 8090. I have been told it is final and I won't be moved.

Wow, how were you able to find that out?

On the FE list you are listed in room 8063...is that not correct?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #363
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
Yay for cabin assignment! And also have fun at POP before the trip. We'll be in WDW beforehand too - but at CBR. And good to know about the suitcases - I will look for those rubber strips. Glad to know that if the airline damages it that badly that they might admit fault and reimburse you for it. I have this 24 inch suitcase that has been everywhere with me (well actually DH, its too small for me so I usually take my mom's suitcase!!) in the past 4-5 years and it hasn't been damaged at all. I think its an American Tourister? Nothing fancy, but it has held up so well. Wish I could go back in time and get the larger size to match!
Yes, the ironic part was when we retrieved the luggage from the carousel and found it to be damaged we went to the appropriate desk to file a report/claim and the were rather rude/smug that 'it wasn't covered damage'. I insisted it most certainly was but they weren't budging so I asked for the number to their corporate headquarters. We were on a late night flight so we were limited as to who we could talk to at that point. I called them from home the next day and explained the damage and its location and they agreed that it was most certainly 'their fault'. They requested I bring the luggage back to the airport. I told them how that really wasn't convenient and 'cheap' for me. So they told me to send them a gas/toll receipts and they would send me a check. They also issued me a LUV voucher for my inconvience (it was Southwest). The one suitcase they were able to repair and they did a fabulous job I might say!! and they shipped it back to us. Rynn's Luggage did the repair. They other was not repairable so we were given the choice of several pieces of luggage from which to choose. DD was very sad as her bag was purple and everything was black with the exception of one red bag. She did pick the red one and the red one is very nice and durable but she doesn't care for red. But all in all, I can't complain and truth be told the red bag is a better bag than the purple one she had. I really think corporate did a good job of stepping up to the plate and fixing the issue. The workers at the counter were less than stellar and even my kids noticed how rude and unprofessional they were which is usually not our experience with Southwest. I guess they were having an 'off' evening. I never yelled, I didn't even raise my voice slightly...I did call the one out for his smug smile when he said it's not covered. He stated it rudely and in an unapologetic tone which was totally uncalled for. Other than that, I took everything else up the chain which was handled with the perfect professionalism!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #364
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
On the FE list you are listed in room 8063...is that not correct?
Yes, that was our old cabin but when the great discounts came out, we rebooked as a GTY... which is how we were listed on the FE for awhile. We now have our final cabin assignment.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #365
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Yes, that was our old cabin but when the great discounts came out, we rebooked as a GTY... which is how we were listed on the FE for awhile. We now have our final cabin assignment.
Oh, thats right...OK, I will make not on my list.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #366
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

Yes, the ironic part was when we retrieved the luggage from the carousel and found it to be damaged we went to the appropriate desk to file a report/claim and the were rather rude/smug that 'it wasn't covered damage'. I insisted it most certainly was but they weren't budging so I asked for the number to their corporate headquarters. We were on a late night flight so we were limited as to who we could talk to at that point. I called them from home the next day and explained the damage and its location and they agreed that it was most certainly 'their fault'. They requested I bring the luggage back to the airport. I told them how that really wasn't convenient and 'cheap' for me. So they told me to send them a gas/toll receipts and they would send me a check. They also issued me a LUV voucher for my inconvience (it was Southwest). The one suitcase they were able to repair and they did a fabulous job I might say!! and they shipped it back to us. Rynn's Luggage did the repair. They other was not repairable so we were given the choice of several pieces of luggage from which to choose. DD was very sad as her bag was purple and everything was black with the exception of one red bag. She did pick the red one and the red one is very nice and durable but she doesn't care for red. But all in all, I can't complain and truth be told the red bag is a better bag than the purple one she had. I really think corporate did a good job of stepping up to the plate and fixing the issue. The workers at the counter were less than stellar and even my kids noticed how rude and unprofessional they were which is usually not our experience with Southwest. I guess they were having an 'off' evening. I never yelled, I didn't even raise my voice slightly...I did call the one out for his smug smile when he said it's not covered. He stated it rudely and in an unapologetic tone which was totally uncalled for. Other than that, I took everything else up the chain which was handled with the perfect professionalism!
Grab some cute iron-ons to add to her bag? I'm glad they got it taken care of!
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #367
RemysMom
Mouseketeer

Cabin assignment?

One of our traveling parties has a GTY cabin. They received their booklet and I check their reservation for the cabin assignment every day, but still none. Are there occassions when the cabin assignment won't be made until we get to the port? I am so anxious to see where they are in relation to our cabin!
RemysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #368
starch139
aka starch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemysMom
One of our traveling parties has a GTY cabin. They received their booklet and I check their reservation for the cabin assignment every day, but still none. Are there occassions when the cabin assignment won't be made until we get to the port? I am so anxious to see where they are in relation to our cabin!
Yes, I called when I got my papers with no cabin number and asked about the blank luggage tags and they said it usually is final about 2 weeks out but in some rare cases we might not find out till be arrive at the port.
starch139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #369
beatlesblonde
When will the madness end?

I'm am getting so excited for this cruise, I need a vacation! My DH is home today working and he got a phone call from our TA and left the room suddenly, which only means one thing....he's planning something! Not sure if it's for the cruise trip or our anniversary trip in December but for now I'm gonna play dumb like I didn't hear a thing

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*

*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy*
beatlesblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #370
beatlesblonde
When will the madness end?

My husband's grandfather passed away today We knew it was coming as he's been ill for quite a while but it's still hard. I know my husband will enjoy getting away next month after this.

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*

*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy*
beatlesblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #371
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesblonde
My husband's grandfather passed away today We knew it was coming as he's been ill for quite a while but it's still hard. I know my husband will enjoy getting away next month after this.
so sorry for your husband's loss!
I hope the trip allows him (and you) to decompress and relax after what I am sure is going to be a stressful week or two. Take care of him!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #372
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesblonde View Post
I'm am getting so excited for this cruise, I need a vacation! My DH is home today working and he got a phone call from our TA and left the room suddenly, which only means one thing....he's planning something! Not sure if it's for the cruise trip or our anniversary trip in December but for now I'm gonna play dumb like I didn't hear a thing
Ohh I love surprises! That is awesome that he is planning something. If my DH ever planned something like that, I'd probably faint. I'm the planner and always the "surprise-r" in the family - I don't think I've been the "suprise-e" since I was 15, by my parents (surprise Disney vacation ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesblonde View Post
Hugs and prayers - hoping that the cruise will be something he can look forward too during this time.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #373
starch139
aka starch1

I voted today since on election day I will be on the beach at Castaway Cay!
starch139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #374
JohnPA
DisDad #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by starch139 View Post
I voted today since on election day I will be on the beach at Castaway Cay!
We just received our absentee ballots yesterday. Guess I ought to get to it and send them. But more importantly . . . I NEED TO START ON THE FE STUFF! Gonna be a race to the wire.

(I'm too excited to sleep!)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #375
Scrappygrrl
Mouseketeer

Hello!

Hi everyone! I just booked this cruise 2 days ago for myself, DH and DS 8 and DS4. - soooo unlike me, I am a consummate planner. Were NJ people, so we've had this week ear-marked for vacation since June. Our original plan (and original flights) were to fly to MCO, have three nights at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal, and then drive to Marco Island and do 4 nights there. About a month ago, I started to get dis-enchanted with the beach part of our vacation. I wasn't thrilled with the hotel I had booked (trying to save $$) and then when I decided to book the hotel I really wanted, it was sold out. I also was starting to fear I had greatly underestimated our food costs, and cost for any excursions we wanted to do.
Last month I spotted a great rate on an IGT for the Dream but flight times were not working out. (Also DH was NOT onboard with the plan - he really wanted to see "real Florida", and he is afraid that after going on DCL we'll be too spoiled to go back to NCL, our usual line!)
Then 2 days ago, the Dream had VGT rates and the flight times were doable (not fabulous mind you, but doable). Somehow I caught my husband in a weak moment and he said, "Go for it!"

So, now our plan is PHL-> TPA on the 3rd, drive to Universal and spend the afternoon there. Stay at the Wingate near Universal, and drive to port next day - Planning on using Park N Cruise or Radisson (anyone else??).
No excursions planned, and thinking of heading to Junkanoo beach for just a few hours in Nassau (let me know if anyone wants to come with us - not expecting much except free beach and a view of the ship!)

Hoping to disembark first thing on Thursday so we can head over to the Hard Rock and have most of Thursday and Friday to enjoy the rest of Universal and the Hard Rock pool.
Can anyone confirm that we can self-disemark with our own luggage ( not having to put it out the pm before?).
Then Sat am we drive back to TPA - this is where the flights get wonky, I was able to switch my husband and son's flight easily to our desired flight time out of TPA, but when I went to switch the final reservation (mine!), the point cost doubled and I don't have enough points to get on. I know I can buy points, but it would be $150 and my budget is at it's ABSOLUTE limit. So, I fly home 6 hours later. Eh, there are worse thing, right? I keep checking the flight, hoping the points will come down and I will get on with them.

Whew! Wrote a book!

Cannot wait! 22 days!!!

Edited to add UPDATE: I just checked the flights again and I got on the flight with my husband and kids!!! Yay!!!!!

Link to our 2011 WDW video trip report!!!
http://youtu.be/dAW169ICAJE

Past Trips:
3/95 Dixie Landings, 9/99 POFQ, 11/09 CSR, 11/11 SVR (WDW), 11/12 DCL Dream/HRH, 11/13 DCL Magic,
February 27, 2014 - 3-night Disney Magic + 1 day at DHS - Celebrating 40

Last edited by Scrappygrrl; 10-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Scrappygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: