Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #871
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Welcome new cruisers!

GBBTomorrow, my daughter's roommate when she was an intern at Disney was a vet tech intern at Animal Kingdom. I am not sure if this gives my daughter any extra insight into how to be one of the animal show people at AK, but if nothing else my DD will have a bit of info on AK.

Interestingly enough, when my DD was 12 and we were at AK, she started talking to a woman that was holding a tarantula at the front gate. My DD learned that she was an Entomologist at Disney, which was surprising to my DD because she thought only males liked insects and arachnids as much as she did!

From talking to this woman, my DD learned about the Disney college program, and set her sights to become a part of it once in college. In fact, when we were visiting colleges and talking to professors in the Entomology departments, one of the things she wanted to know was if they were involved with the Disney college program! When one of the professors mentioned his close ties to a department head at the Internship program, well that sealed it, my DD chose that college!

The department head was actually someone my DD spoke to a couple years before, during another trip to Disney, when she decided she had to further investigate what all this "Entomology at Disney" was about. She took the coincidences as a sign from God, and off she went to her chosen college, and then to Disney. She thrived, and loved it, and is considering going back once in graduate school. With the right personality, it is a wonderful experience, and looks great for future employers!

Neriberi, my family is not into the Settlers of Catan, but it does look interesting! Hopefully you find someone like-minded to discuss it with! We are more Hobbit/LOTR fans, and I plan on finding Bobbi James to discuss the pleasing-ness (yes, I made up a word!) of certain dwarves, elves and men, oh and the books too, yes, the books too.

Nine more weeks? Yippee!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #872
weaves18
Earning My Ears

Settlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neriberi View Post
Any Settlers of Catan fans on this cruise?
HERE HERE!!! My DH and family look for reasons to play that! I can get into it but he LOVES the game!
weaves18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #873
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Does anybody know the hours for the buffet (the one nearest the pool...was Topsiders/BeachBlanket on other ships) on embarkation day? We have the 11:30 PAT, and were thinking about swimming before lunch. If we swim/Aquaduck when we board, will there be time for the buffet? We also plan to come to the meet at 3:00.

Realizing I sound like a hyper-planner in this post. I just like to have the first day mapped out, and then I relax. Thanks!
Here's a link to a recent set of Navigators. It's the other Eastern itinerary, but I'm sure the hours for Day One don't change considerably. According to this, all dining opens at noon.
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #874
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Does anybody know the hours for the buffet (the one nearest the pool...was Topsiders/BeachBlanket on other ships) on embarkation day? We have the 11:30 PAT, and were thinking about swimming before lunch. If we swim/Aquaduck when we board, will there be time for the buffet? We also plan to come to the meet at 3:00.

Realizing I sound like a hyper-planner in this post. I just like to have the first day mapped out, and then I relax. Thanks!
The buffet on the Fantasy is called Cabanas on deck 11. Cabanas as well as Enchanted Garden and all fast food places on the pool deck (Filmore's Favorites, Luigi's Pizza and Tow Mater's Grill) will be open upon boarding the ship. Cabanas will be open until 3:15pm for lunch. The entire ship shuts down at 3:45pm for the 4pm Boat Drill. The AquaDuck did not open until 12pm last June so we will be eat lunch first at Cabanas and then hit the Aquaduck.
Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western

TIGGER/POOH4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #875
MousyMe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER/POOH4 View Post
Good morning fellow cruisers. Another week has gone by.
We now have only

weeks to go to the Fantasy.
At first these reminders were exciting. Well, they still are, but now they also make me nervous. So much to do still and it is really getting close now. All I've been focused on are FE's and magnets lately which I really haven't done yet. Time to finish those and start figuring out what cruise wear needs to be purchased and find some good sales.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #876
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Will enjoy talking Middle Earth with luvavacation and any other Tolkien fans who want to join in. I will also entertain any Downton Abbey, Harry Potter, Beatles, Glee, Monty Python, or just random silliness conversations in which anyone else would like to engage. Likewise, I will welcome company at the fitness center when it opens and on the upper decks at sunrise (for some reason, I think it's excess adrenaline, I tend to get very little sleep when I cruise).

As far as Settlers of Catan, my DH is a big gamer who attends the World Board Gaming Championships in Lancaster, PA every year. I'm not sure if he's ever played Settlers, but I will let him know there might be some games afoot!

BTW, private event request form has been submitted. It says we'll receive notification about 15 days out.
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #877
weaves18
Earning My Ears

Wait a minute!

As far as Settlers of Catan, my DH is a big gamer who attends the World Board Gaming Championships in Lancaster, PA every year. I'm not sure if he's ever played Settlers, but I will let him know there might be some games afoot!

Wait a minute?!?! Gaming Championship in Lancaster PA?!?! We live here and didn't know of that! My DH will HAVE to get more information when we meet! Also if your DH needs a good home cooked meal when he is here we could recommend a restaurant...just kidding...I could whip something up or at least have a sister who is a great cook
weaves18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #878
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

To Neriberi and all you gamers out there, DH says he's not really interested in playing Settlers of Catan while onboard, but would enjoy a game of Letters from Whitechapel, if anyone's familiar with that one...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #879
SA5
Earning My Ears

Just joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkSA5 View Post
Hi! I'm Olive and I'm 13. This will be my 4th Disney cruise and I'm hoping to meet some kids my age.
Hi everyone! My family and I will be joining you on this trip--we can't wait!! We are new to the discussion board and wanted to join so my 13 yr old daughter -tinkSA5, can meet some kids her age to hang out with in Edge. This is our 4th Disney cruise (first time on the Fantasy and first 7 nighter) and she really wants to experience the kids activities this time. I know she will really appreciate hearing from other kids that will be on board. Looking forward to meeting you on the ship!

Last edited by SA5; 04-13-2013 at 06:12 PM.
SA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #880
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA5 View Post
Hi everyone! My family and I will be joining you on this trip--we can't wait!! We are new to the discussion board and wanted to join so my 13 yr old daughter -tinkSA5, can meet some kids her age to hang out with in Edge. This is our 4th Disney cruise (first time on the Fantasy and first 7 nighter) and she really wants to experience the kids activities this time. I know she will really appreciate hearing from other kids that will be on board. Looking forward to meeting you on the ship!
aboard the Father's Day Eastern Fantasy. Please feel free to also join our FB page as well. The FB link is in the first post of this thread. We have a DIS meet on the first day of the cruise in the D Lounge or the Vista Café that you can join us to meet the group. If you have any questions regarding the Fantasy or the itinerary please feel free to ask.
Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western

TIGGER/POOH4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #881
tinkSA5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA5 View Post

I just started a thread on the Teen Disney forum for our cruise for anyone who wants to chat!!(:
tinkSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #882
Neriberi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbi565 View Post
To Neriberi and all you gamers out there, DH says he's not really interested in playing Settlers of Catan while onboard, but would enjoy a game of Letters from Whitechapel, if anyone's familiar with that one...
Never played that one before, but we're always open to new games. It looks pretty intense. We got into the habit of bringing Settlers and Puerto Rico with us on vacation because we're not really night scene people and our little one doesn't like staying in the kids clubs, so we play after she falls asleep. We might set it up on one of the days at sea, if anyone's interested.
Dream SSMC 2011, 2013 Magic New England 2012
Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 2013 Moms Only Bahamian Magic 2014 Birthday on the Dream 2014
Neriberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #883
Disneyobsession101
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkSA5 View Post
I just started a thread on the Teen Disney forum for our cruise for anyone who wants to chat!!(:
Hi Olive! I'm Alyssa, nice to meet you! I'm 14, so I'm going to be at the Vibe, but I read online that 14 yr olds can still go to Edge, so we can still hang out on the ship! Anyway, I'd love to chat, but can you post the link? I can't seem to find the forum.
Disneyobsession101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #884
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvavacation View Post
Welcome new cruisers!

GBBTomorrow, my daughter's roommate when she was an intern at Disney was a vet tech intern at Animal Kingdom. I am not sure if this gives my daughter any extra insight into how to be one of the animal show people at AK, but if nothing else my DD will have a bit of info on AK.

Interestingly enough, when my DD was 12 and we were at AK, she started talking to a woman that was holding a tarantula at the front gate. My DD learned that she was an Entomologist at Disney, which was surprising to my DD because she thought only males liked insects and arachnids as much as she did!

From talking to this woman, my DD learned about the Disney college program, and set her sights to become a part of it once in college. In fact, when we were visiting colleges and talking to professors in the Entomology departments, one of the things she wanted to know was if they were involved with the Disney college program! When one of the professors mentioned his close ties to a department head at the Internship program, well that sealed it, my DD chose that college!

The department head was actually someone my DD spoke to a couple years before, during another trip to Disney, when she decided she had to further investigate what all this "Entomology at Disney" was about. She took the coincidences as a sign from God, and off she went to her chosen college, and then to Disney. She thrived, and loved it, and is considering going back once in graduate school. With the right personality, it is a wonderful experience, and looks great for future employers!

Neriberi, my family is not into the Settlers of Catan, but it does look interesting! Hopefully you find someone like-minded to discuss it with! We are more Hobbit/LOTR fans, and I plan on finding Bobbi James to discuss the pleasing-ness (yes, I made up a word!) of certain dwarves, elves and men, oh and the books too, yes, the books too.

Nine more weeks? Yippee!
We can't wait to meet your daughter. Promise me if we bug her too much you'll tell us to shove off! Sounds like she's a neat young woman.

Thanks for the info!
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #885
tinkSA5
Earning My Ears

Teen Disney- Disney Fantasy June 15, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyobsession101 View Post
Hi Olive! I'm Alyssa, nice to meet you! I'm 14, so I'm going to be at the Vibe, but I read online that 14 yr olds can still go to Edge, so we can still hang out on the ship! Anyway, I'd love to chat, but can you post the link? I can't seem to find the forum.
Hey Alyssa!! I'll be turning 14 a few weeks after the cruise, and i think i can do the the Vibe, too!!

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3095766
tinkSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: