Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #631
ambersharley
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 22

DH and DD11 will be joining me on the cruise. I think I am more excited than they are! We love Disney in general, and I love it because I can plan ahead and have a vacation.

I have been reading tons of threads and blogs (DH says I need to stop!) trying to plan. BUT I have been leaning on not booking excursions in port. Just shopping around and playing by ear. Do you you think this is bad? The only think I have really seen that I "had to" was the equipment on CC. Is there anything you would say DON'T MISS IT?

Also, I have seen some pics from a 5K on CC,but couldn't find anything. Is this all the time? I have good intentions now, but the cruise food might kill me! LOL

Anything on the board that we should make sure we do?
__________________
May 2011 WDW
Jan 2011 WDW Disney Institute
2005 WDW
1987 WDW
ambersharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #632
4newtocruise
Minnie, R.N.
 
4newtocruise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersharley View Post
DH and DD11 will be joining me on the cruise. I think I am more excited than they are! We love Disney in general, and I love it because I can plan ahead and have a vacation.

I have been reading tons of threads and blogs (DH says I need to stop!) trying to plan. BUT I have been leaning on not booking excursions in port. Just shopping around and playing by ear. Do you you think this is bad? The only think I have really seen that I "had to" was the equipment on CC. Is there anything you would say DON'T MISS IT?

Also, I have seen some pics from a 5K on CC,but couldn't find anything. Is this all the time? I have good intentions now, but the cruise food might kill me! LOL

Anything on the board that we should make sure we do?
I agree, nothing I've seen has WOWED me. I'm leaning on doing an excursion because otherwise I may miss something that I wished I'd seen. When we tried to do Nassau on our last cruise, we just ended up walking around bored.

I purchased the PassPorter's guide and the following excursions are highly rated (out of 10)

St Maarten:

-Twelve Metre Regatta - 10
-Golden Eagle Catamaran - 9
-French Riviera Beach Rendezvous - 8
- Rhino Rider and Snorkeling Adventure - 9

St. Thomas/St. John

-St John Island Tour - 9
-St. John Eco Hike - 8
- Maagens Bay Beach Break - 9
- Doubloon Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel - 9
- Captain Nautica's St. John Snorkeling Expedition - 9
- Water Island Mountain Bike Adventure - 10
- St. John Champagne Sail Snorkel - 7
__________________
[/url]
4newtocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #633
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran
 
TIGGER/POOH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersharley View Post
DH and DD11 will be joining me on the cruise. I think I am more excited than they are! We love Disney in general, and I love it because I can plan ahead and have a vacation.

I have been reading tons of threads and blogs (DH says I need to stop!) trying to plan. BUT I have been leaning on not booking excursions in port. Just shopping around and playing by ear. Do you you think this is bad? The only think I have really seen that I "had to" was the equipment on CC. Is there anything you would say DON'T MISS IT?

Also, I have seen some pics from a 5K on CC,but couldn't find anything. Is this all the time? I have good intentions now, but the cruise food might kill me! LOL

Anything on the board that we should make sure we do?
aboard the Father's Day Eastern Fantasy. You by no means need to book a DCL excursion. In St Maarten you can easily take the water taxi over to Great Bay beach and relax on the beach for a while and then go shopping in Phillipsburg which is right behind the beach. In St Thomas you can walk over to the Paradise Point Skyride and enjoy a wonderful view of the bay and the Fantasy. After that just grab a taxi over to Charlotte Amelia for some shopping. If you have any more questions or need more information please feel free to ask.
__________________
Jun 2007 Land & Sea, Oct 2007 DCL Halloween 4 Day
May 2008 DCL Western, Oct 2008 DCL Eastern
Oct 2009 DCL Eastern, Oct 2010 DCL Western
Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western



TIGGER/POOH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #634
bobbi565
DIS Veteran
 
bobbi565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4newtocruise View Post
You booked on your own? Is this St. Thomas? Sounds fun. I think we are going to do the full day Honeymoon Beach. My husband and kids love to snorkel.

Can't wait to book my Palo ressies! I'm training, just might join you for the 5K!

I can't wait for this cruise!!!!
Yeah, I always book on my own. Besides, the Coral World excursion through DCL doesn't include the Turtle Encounter, and we really wanted to do that. Coral World is in St. Thomas. DS and DH aren't quite the beach nuts that I am, so I'm planning a little beach time in St. Maarten and then a big beach day on CC. I'll be able to snorkle on both those occassions.
__________________
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #635
ambersharley
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 22

Our travel agent said they rented an open air taxi for the day for much less and had a great tour They even stopped for shopping. She just made arrangements with the driver about the times to be back.
__________________
May 2011 WDW
Jan 2011 WDW Disney Institute
2005 WDW
1987 WDW
ambersharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #636
staley98
The Mouse makes me feel like a little girl again!
 
staley98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaves18
Anyone have any experience with Joyce Prince and her tours at St. Maarten?
Many of us are doing a tour with Bernard's. You can check out the details on the fb page. $45/pp
__________________
Anne
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/dqko60w7q94o1jr8.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>
staley98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #637
4newtocruise
Minnie, R.N.
 
4newtocruise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by staley98 View Post
Many of us are doing a tour with Bernard's. You can check out the details on the fb page. $45/pp
Think it's $35 since we have such a large group!
__________________
[/url]
4newtocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #638
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 984

For those of you who have been to St. Thomas and St. John before, is it possible to visit the National Park on our own? We love national parks and don't really need anything fancy. We'd be happy just walking around. The key element here is that we don't want any possibility of not making it back to the ship on time,

Advice? Thanks!
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #639
Beesmom
Earning My Ears
 
Beesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hartselle AL
Posts: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
For those of you who have been to St. Thomas and St. John before, is it possible to visit the National Park on our own? We love national parks and don't really need anything fancy. We'd be happy just walking around. The key element here is that we don't want any possibility of not making it back to the ship on time,

Advice? Thanks!
Hey there -

My family and I have vacationed in St. John plenty of times. 2/3 of the island is national park so it is very easy to visit without worrying.

What I would do would be to take the Red Hook ferry over to St. John then walk to the National Park office. It's not that far from the ferry dock to the left and people can point it out to you.

Behind the office is the Lind Point Trail. This is one of the many hiking trails on St. John and from there it's about a 30 - 45 minute walk to Salamon beach which is gorgeous.

I don't think the walk is that strenuous - I did it in my Tevas last year and I'm not in terrific shape (not completely sedentary either).

From Salamon you can also hike further to Honeymoon beach and even to Caneel resort where you can catch a Taxi back to Cruz Bay. Or you can turn around at Salamon and walk back. The upper trail has an overlook that is a great place to stop and just appreciate the islands.

Here's a link to some photos from my walk: http://www.flickr.com/photos/topcat/...57630961349596

-Sandy
Beesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #640
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesmom

Hey there -

My family and I have vacationed in St. John plenty of times. 2/3 of the island is national park so it is very easy to visit without worrying.

What I would do would be to take the Red Hook ferry over to St. John then walk to the National Park office. It's not that far from the ferry dock to the left and people can point it out to you.

Behind the office is the Lind Point Trail. This is one of the many hiking trails on St. John and from there it's about a 30 - 45 minute walk to Salamon beach which is gorgeous.

I don't think the walk is that strenuous - I did it in my Tevas last year and I'm not in terrific shape (not completely sedentary either).

From Salamon you can also hike further to Honeymoon beach and even to Caneel resort where you can catch a Taxi back to Cruz Bay. Or you can turn around at Salamon and walk back. The upper trail has an overlook that is a great place to stop and just appreciate the islands.

Here's a link to some photos from my walk: http://www.flickr.com/photos/topcat/...57630961349596

-Sandy
Thank you for the excellent advice! It sounds like whatever we do, we can't go wrong. The Lind Point Trail sounds just perfect for us. Thanks!
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #641
4newtocruise
Minnie, R.N.
 
4newtocruise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 653

FE Questions

Just a couple FE questions

- Is there a cut-off for our group?

- Are we going to verify the participants closer to the cruise date?

Wow, 99 partipants! I better get working.
__________________
[/url]
4newtocruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #642
bobbi565
DIS Veteran
 
bobbi565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4newtocruise
Just a couple FE questions

- Is there a cut-off for our group?

- Are we going to verify the participants closer to the cruise date?

Wow, 99 partipants! I better get working.
Tigger/Pooh4 had said there would be a cutoff date, I just can't remember when. Are we at 99 total? Yikes! I was counting up for the kids' presents and came up with about 30 kids 12 and under and about 15 teens 13 - 18.
__________________
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #643
bobbi565
DIS Veteran
 
bobbi565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersharley
Also, I have seen some pics from a 5K on CC,but couldn't find anything. Is this all the time? I have good intentions now, but the cruise food might kill me! LOL
Yes, the CC 5k is held on e every cruise that makes a stop there. I'm planning to run it, and I think Staley8 is planning to as well. Join us; we can be a good support group. Besides, it'll be a great way to burn off the extra calories!
__________________
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #644
Beesmom
Earning My Ears
 
Beesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hartselle AL
Posts: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Thank you for the excellent advice! It sounds like whatever we do, we can't go wrong. The Lind Point Trail sounds just perfect for us. Thanks!
You're welcome! I hope to talk my family into doing this as well but I have a feeling they don't want to hike any so we'll probably end up either taking a taxi to Cinnamon Bay or doing an excursion.

I thought of some things if you decide to take the trail to the beach - if you would like to swim wear swimgear under shorts and a shirt.

Tevas worked fine for me but I would not do the trail in flip-flops.

Bring bugspray and sunblock - I don't remember being chewed on by mosquitos on that trail but it's possible especially if it has rained well a couple of weeks previously.

I would travel light and carry everything in in a backpack - I'd have some water for every person in my group. I didn't take any with me and I was fine, but I was wanting a cool drink by the time I returned.

You can buy some at Wharfside village, which is a bunch of shops to your right as you get off the ferry, or at Mongoose Junction, which is across the street from the National Park Visitor's Center. Both areas have some good places to eat lunch - my favorite is the Beach Bar at Wharfside but there's all sorts of places to choose from.

http://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htm

I also just recalled that if you do hike all the way to Honeymoon Beach there's a new (and only) business there that does all sorts of gear / kayak rentals, lockers, bathrooms, snacks, etc:
http://www.on-stjohn.com/2012/08/22/...neymoon-beach/

I could prattle for hours about St. John! I went there as a kid (waaay back in the early 70's) and while the non-national park spots have built up some, the park itself has changed very little.

If anyone has other questions about St. John I would be happy to answer!

-Sandy
Beesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #645
TIGGER/POOH4
DIS Veteran
 
TIGGER/POOH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 2,987

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4newtocruise View Post
Just a couple FE questions

- Is there a cut-off for our group?

- Are we going to verify the participants closer to the cruise date?

Wow, 99 partipants! I better get working.
Yes the cutoff is at 75 days (PIF date) from the cruise. At that point I will send out a email/PM to all participants to verify they are still in. They will have a week to respond and then I will finalize the list. Currently we have 29 staterooms and 99 participants. 101 days to the Fantasy.
__________________
Jun 2007 Land & Sea, Oct 2007 DCL Halloween 4 Day
May 2008 DCL Western, Oct 2008 DCL Eastern
Oct 2009 DCL Eastern, Oct 2010 DCL Western
Oct 2011 DCL Eastern, Jun 2012 DCL Western
Jun 2013 DCL Eastern, Jun 2014 DCL Western



TIGGER/POOH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.