Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
glossopj
Earning My Ears

ANY UK DVC MEMBERS .....Please HELP!!

Hi,
We have just received our DVC pack and considering purchasing between 160 - 200 vacation points. my understanding is that this will get us a studio for 2 weeks every 2 years. Living in the UK means we won't be popping for short breaks and would need a 2 week break to make it financially viable.
However with the offers on constantly for free disney dining when you book between certain dates is it really worth it ?? I would value others opinion. I'd also welcome info on how UK members best use the points they have.

Thanks Julia
glossopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Sorry, I'm not a UK owner ... but I do travel cross-country to reach WDW. I can't fathom the idea of 2 weeks in a studio unit. The studio units have only a min-kitchen (very small refrigerator, no stove top, no real dishes, etc.) and do not have in-room laundry. Basically, they are a hotel unit.

Are you sure you'll be comfortable with this idea?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Hi Julia,

In case you didn't know, there are actually forums here that are dedicated to UK owning DVC'ers - here is a link to one of them:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

As to the ownership vs discounts go...I think if you want deluxe resorts, and will stay at a DVC resort every 2 years, you may well find that in the long term ownership is a good way to go. If for no other reason than you're reasonalby protected from the year to year increases that cash stays attract...those prices, especially when the economy is doing well won't have as many discounts available.

HTH

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
glossopj
Earning My Ears

No I am not sure so I am just trying to gather views! Last time we stayed at SSR and there were 4 adults and 2 kids & we stayed in a 2 bed appartment but now the kids are older and may choose not to holiday with us much.
Thanks for the post I'll look at the size of the studio I do need to consider this. Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
glossopj
Earning My Ears

Thanks I'll take a look at the uK Link

Julia x
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossopj View Post
Hi,
We have just received our DVC pack and considering purchasing between 160 - 200 vacation points. my understanding is that this will get us a studio for 2 weeks every 2 years. Living in the UK means we won't be popping for short breaks and would need a 2 week break to make it financially viable.
However with the offers on constantly for free disney dining when you book between certain dates is it really worth it ?? I would value others opinion. I'd also welcome info on how UK members best use the points they have.

Thanks Julia
Hi Julia,

My partner and I regularly stay for 2 weeks+ in a studio and don't have any problems but I would be a more wary if I was staying with 3 or more people.

As to worth, long term it definitely pays assuming you don't finance your initial payment. Then add to that the discount on the AP (worth it if you are staying for 2 weeks) then the tables in wonderland card and I think it's worth it.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
glossopj
Earning My Ears

Hi Julia,

My partner and I regularly stay for 2 weeks+ in a studio and don't have any problems but I would be a more wary if I was staying with 3 or more people.

As to worth, long term it definitely pays assuming you don't finance your initial payment. Then add to that the discount on the AP (worth it if you are staying for 2 weeks) then the tables in wonderland card and I think it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Hi, do you know what the price is on the AP ? and is it a better deal than the offers of 14 days unlimited for the price of 7 ? and sorry to be dim but what is the tables in wonderland card?? Thanks for your help
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

The rate to book a room changes throughout the year so you need to know when you expect to travel to determine how many points to buy. You also need to know that Disney can adjust the points required which may also affect how many points you will need.

Don't forget to take a look at resale prices.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

Quote:
Hi, do you know what the price is on the AP ? and is it a better deal than the offers of 14 days unlimited for the price of 7 ? and sorry to be dim but what is the tables in wonderland card?? Thanks for your help
The price is either $100 or $125 less then the 'rack rate' for an AP (I think the standard DVC AP is $419 (£268.59) . It's not actually cheaper than the 14 for the price of 7 deal but it gives you discounts on merchandise and allows you to buy a Tables in Wonderland card that gives you 20% off of the cost of Table Service meals (including alcohol, woohoo!) so those usually add up to make it better value for money.

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
glossopj
Earning My Ears

Thank You
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Lizzim
Mouseketeer

I don't know if it will help but this was my logic for buying DVC:

I bought BLT so that I am able to stay one week each year in a Magic Kingdom view room whilst paying (in my opinion) a reasonable price for that room.

Also, by banking and borrowing I will, on occasion, be able to take friends and family and stay in a 2 bedroom unit and share the magic!

We never stay 2 weeks in a hotel so always spend our other week off site in a villa or explore outside of Florida, this makes the studio less of an issue - but having said that they aren't that small really
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looking back at your first post and the fact that you plan to visit every other year, the numbers won't be as convincing for the annual pass as they are for someone who visits annually.

We're able to get at least two trips out of each annual pass, which usually translates to a good 4 weeks of ticket use. We definitely get our money's worth from an annual pass. We get multiple trips out of the pass by alternating the months we travel each summer. We'll go later in the summer the year we buy the pass, and then earlier in the summer the following year. That gives us the second year without having to buy another ticket.

If you're only going to get two weeks out of the pass, the saving will be harder to achieve. (That 14-day UK MYW pass is a really good deal.)

Tables in Wonderland is a dining discount card that Florida residents and annual passholders can purchase. For annual passholders, the price is $75. It then gives you 20% off the entire check (including bar tab) at most Disney sit-down locations for the next 18 months. An 18% tip is automatically added to checks when you use the TIW, but since this is close to the amount most people leave anyway, it turns out to be a really good deal.

Annual passholders also get a discount on purchases of most items at Disney shops by showing their pass. (The discount doesn't apply to food. So shops like the Marketplace at the Beach Club would give you a discount if you bought a postcard or T-Shirt, but not if you bought a salad or sandwich.) The discount is 10% for annual passes, and 20% for premium annual passes. These discounts can really add up. I won't tell you what 20% of just the pins we purchased this summer turned out to be!

One other option to price out is for just one person in your party to get an annual pass, with the others getting the 14-day UK MYW ticket. That way you can get the discounts and TIW, but also take advantage of the 14-day tickets that are a better match to your travel habits. I'll share from personal experience that it becomes tiring to be the person who always has to do the check-out at the shops and pay the check at restaurants. There were a few times when I didn't particularly feel like making the trip to Downtown Disney in the evening after a long day in the park, but because I was the discount man, I had to go along.

One other note on an already long reply, we've stayed as long as three weeks in a studio without any issues. However, that was with just the two of us. I'd never think of doing it with kids, and certainly not with other adults.

If you plan to do that consistently, though, you may want to compare DVC studios to WDW hotel rooms. You're right that there are discounts available for the latter. (Another benefit if you purchase an annual pass is on room discounts.) You're in the grey zone as to whether you're a good fit for DVC or not. It would behoove you to create a spreadsheet and run some price comparisons. Keep reading these DIS DVC boards, too. There's a wonderful amount of good advice on here.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

As to whether to it is worth depends on where you want to stay (and own).

If you are happy at OKW/SSR and can travel during the 45% off free DDP time then DVC will not make sense at the moment - you always buy once the offers end (and they will at some point).

If you are wanting to stay at resorts like BLT/BCV/BWV then it is a great deal. We own at & primarily stay at BLT and I always watch to see the cheapest price I could get the room for checking all specials here & in US. Our stay in May we would have had to pay rack rate as there was no discounted rooms. We stayed in a one bed and it would have been $500+ a night!

We also bought for the one bedrooms and the extra comforts they bring. Between the one bedroom and our OL BLT really feels like our second home

Also look at resales - you can save some money however you can't use your points for cruising, ABD or staying at Disneys non-DVC resorts.

Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
RDP
DIS Veteran

200 point sounds tight for a two week vacation, make sure you look at the points charts and don't limit yourself to going at only certain points of the year, your future plans may change. Remember the annual dues and factor this into your budget.
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani

RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
brightspark
Wants to try the happy soap
I don't like coffee I'm afraid
Who is tour guide mike?

Quote:
No I am not sure so I am just trying to gather views! Last time we stayed at SSR and there were 4 adults and 2 kids & we stayed in a 2 bed appartment but now the kids are older and may choose not to holiday with us much.
Thanks for the post I'll look at the size of the studio I do need to consider this. Thanks
As far as size of Studio goes, it depends what you are planning on doing, and what you are expecting.

If you are going to be out of the room all day and really want it as somewhere to sleep, and just need a fridge with small freezer for storing drinks then it's fine. If you are planning to eat out plenty then it's also fine. If you want do much cooking, or are planing to spend much time in there as more than just 2 of you, then it's going to be a squeeze.

SSR studios have a double bed and a sofa bed. DH and I stayed very happily in one for 2 weeks, and we enjoyed having a sofa to sit on to watch TV. We bought bread and sandwich filllings, snacks, fruit and some quick and easy frozen foods, as well as breakfast cereals and coped very well for those kind of meals in our room.

I wonder sometimes if we would be better with the free dining plan, but having DVC means that we visit more often than we would have done, staying in much nicer resorts.

The biggest drawback we find to DVC is that the units don't really sleep as many as they suggest. We are travelling this month and our family is me, DH, DS3 and Dsis (also and adult) we have a 2 bed because my sister needs her space, and this still leaves us sharing a room with DS3 which is not something I really long for on holiday. BUT we have a lounge, dining room and full kitchen so there is plenty of space for us. I can't imagine what it would be like having someone on the sofa bed too...

Oh, we have enough points to go in a 1bed for 2 weeks every 3 years I think...

Hope that helps...

WDW 2003 (offsite); 2005 Caribbean Beach; 2006 ASMu; Jan 2007 VB, SSR and AKL!!! Nov 2007 OKW and POP; Jan 2010 SSR and BCV; Dec 2011 SSR; Aug 2013 AKV
brightspark is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: