Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
fgtriot
Mouseketeer

Newb's, a little pixie dust and tears (a first timers trip report)

For those of you whom read my PTR, I apologize it has taken me so long to start this report. For those who havent, here's the link'

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2728071

To quickly recap for those who havenít. Although DW and I took DS to The World 8years ago when he was only 18mo old and we planned nothing more than staying at a nearby timeshare and buying a 4 day park hopper pass. Seriously thatís it. Therefore we have called this our Honorary First FAMILY trip. Before I get too far let me introduce our cast of characters (and believe me they live up to that name).

I guess Iíll start with myself:

Name: Matthew
Favorite Character: Aladdin
Favorite Park: All of them
Favorite Restaurant: Chef Mickey's

Next would be DW who has put up with my shenanigans for almost 10 years now.

Name: Sarah
Favorite Character: Tinkerbell and Piglet
Favorite Park: MK
Favorite Restaurant: CRT

And the kids.

Name: Ian
Favorite Character: Stitch
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Restaurant: Coral Reef

Name: Morgan
Favorite Character: Cinderella

Name: Allyson
Favorite Character: Tinkerbell

DW and I had been planning this trip since Feb 2011 but didnít tell the kids. Even though it is rather clichť now, we loved the idea of the surprise and wanted that memory. I will try to post a link to the video in the next chapter. We stayed at POR for 6 days at the end of Sept 2011, bought 5 daysí worth of park passes (non park-hopper) and a dining plan.

So if youíre up for the ride (and I sure it will have its ups and downs since Iíve never done this before) I invite you to be our guest.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
fgtriot
Mouseketeer

Table of Contents

TABLE OF CONTENTS

DAY ONE

DAY TWO

Last edited by fgtriot; 07-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
jason4024
DIS Dad #541
I am sure you will get your fill of man things to do around these parts

Location: Coaldale, PA - 1,068 miles north of the happiest place on Earth

Joining in and just remember we are always here to help. I posted some info on your DDC post about your table of contents.

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Cree629
Mouseketeer

I'd love to hear more, too! Looks like we were there around the same time (Sept 27-Oct 4), and I am, also, currently trying my hand at my first TR!!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
kokotg
DIS Veteran

Another three kid family who was there in September joining in! And we're planning to stay at POR next year, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
fgtriot
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree629 View Post
I'd love to hear more, too! Looks like we were there around the same time (Sept 27-Oct 4), and I am, also, currently trying my hand at my first TR!!
Cant wait to read your TR. You missed the rain then, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokotg View Post
Another three kid family who was there in September joining in! And we're planning to stay at POR next year, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
POR was good, I will have an entire chapter on it later in my report.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I'm here!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

Totally in for this one! I like hopping in early so I can keep up instead of having to sift through 100+ pages (which I have done when bored! )

Hope you can post the video of the surprise! I LOVE surprise videos, cliche or not. I want to do this one day when DH and I have kid(s).
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
fgtriot
Mouseketeer

The Surprise

OK so DW and I started planning this trip in February 2011 and from the beginning we wanted it to be a surprise for our three kids. We wanted our own commercial. This decision however would waiver many times throughout the 7 months of planning and waiting. The kids would see a commercial and beg to go and we would have to hold firm. We would be planning something and our excitement would take us to the edge, or we wanted to get the kids’ opinion but didn’t want to give anything away. I swear the constant back and forth in our head was the most torture I have put myself through.

It had gotten so bad at one point that we told the kids we wanted to take them and begun “dream planning” with them on what they would like to do “if we ever could go”. Using the cost (non-discounted to make it seem worse) as the reason why we couldn’t go, “it was too expensive”. Through this “dream planning” we were able to get a lot of ideas of what the kids wanted to do. We watched The Disney Parks DVDs with them and reviewed the Disney website. This was when it was the hardest to keep the secret. Equally as hard was hiding the mail. DS loves to get the mail but we couldn’t run the risk. A big shout out to Mark Pratt of Fairytale Journeys for having the wisdom to request our welcome packet sent to him then forwarding it to us in a neutral non-Disney envelope.

The only dilemma that still lingered as far as the surprise was concern was how to actually tell the kids. DW and I decided that instead of giving them their new backpacks for school, we would wait until the trip. We filled them with a bunch of stuff to keep them occupied on the plane like books and magazines and activity pads and toys. Each kid had a theme of their own and all their stuff followed that theme. For DS it was Phin and Ferb, DD7 is the princess, and for DD3; Tinkerbell. On top of all the stuff in the bags were Mickey Mouse t-shirts and a postcard we had gotten sent from the fairy godmailer list. The post cards were from the kids’ favorite characters talking about how they would see our kids soon.

Now our kids are very smart. I know everyone says and believes that about their kids but DD7 has even been skipped ahead a grade. That said, they never once caught on to our whispering and sneaking around like when we were buying t-shirts for them from the Disney store at the mall for the trip, with them there with us! With this in mind I went ahead and created an actually invitation to hand to them that clarified we were leaving right away.
So the morning of our trip I took the kids to McDonalds to get breakfast (which we never do). This bought time for DW to pack the final few items we needed, and our friends who would take us to the airport could arrive. Since we were leaving on a Sunday we used the excuse that they were going to church with us. I hated lying but I swallowed my integrity because I knew it was for a good cause. After breakfast and before leaving for “church” I; “suddenly remembered” that we “finally got” the kids their backpacks. Wink, wink! The final product turned out like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIJnA...&feature=feedu

The little one was a little overwhelmed by it all but she soon after warmed up and got excited too.

Last edited by fgtriot; 10-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Your kids are adorable - particularly your little one, how sweet

I can't wait to read more, your surprise was great!

2014 Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe

July 2014 Spain/France Trip Report
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #12
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

signing on--

Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Love the surprise!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
jason4024
DIS Dad #541
I am sure you will get your fill of man things to do around these parts

Location: Coaldale, PA - 1,068 miles north of the happiest place on Earth

Your surprise video was awesome! I can not wait to read more about the trip.

Also, looks like the link instructions worked for you!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Cree629
Mouseketeer

Your kids are adorable and I LOVED your video. It made me cry! It must have been so hard to keep the secret for so long, but so worth it in the end!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: