Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
BlackMamba
Earning My Ears

Dream: DCL assures me there are solid white walls. I've read they are only shin high

Ok, so I read that even though the description says solid white walls the Disney Dream has white walls only shin high on the balcony. The Disney cruies line agent assures me that is incorrect. I'm so confused. I've seen pictures of the partial white wall.

This whole booking the right cabin is driving me insane!
BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Where have you read this and how reliable was the source?

I've never seen "shin high" barriers on any DCL ship. The barriers that I've seen have either been ceiling to floor plexiglass OR above waist high (about mid way between waist and shoulder) on me...a 5'6" adult.

There is NO WAY they have a "shin high" barrier. No kid has ever accidentally fallen off a DCL ship, and they have been cruising since 1998. There was one incident of a teen who intentionally jumped off, and the area he jumped from has since been closed off.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
BlackMamba
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Where have you read this and how reliable was the source?

I've never seen "shin high" barriers on any DCL ship. The barriers that I've seen have either been ceiling to floor plexiglass OR above waist high (about mid way between waist and shoulder) on me...a 5'6" adult.

There is NO WAY they have a "shin high" barrier. No kid has ever accidentally fallen off a DCL ship, and they have been cruising since 1998. There was one incident of a teen who intentionally jumped off, and the area he jumped from has since been closed off.
Ok, well... that's a little funny . I didn't mean to say the entire bacony was only shin high! Duhhhhh! That would be absured! The pictures I saw had the white wall only shin high and the rest was plexi!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran

The aft verandahs on the Dream have a solid white metal wall that is about shin high, and plexiglass and metal railings above that to the normal height.

The Dream does not have any of the full metal wall verandahs like the Magic/Wonder have.
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Here's a picture I took of the Dream on Oct 1st. On the Magic and Wonder, the aft balconies had solid white walls that went all the way up to the wood hand railing. On the Dream, they do not. They DO only go up about shin high....depending how tall you are.

justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I remember when the Dream was still at Meyer Weft before it left....everyone was so happy to see that the solid wall only went up a short way and the rest was plexi.

I think the DCL agent was misinformed....but they may be going by what is listed in the description and have no first hand experience. I have not heard of one cabin on the Dream that has a full solid wall verandah like the Magic and Wonder.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
justmestace

On the Disney Cruise Line website, if you do a "comparison" of staterooms, the description for some of the balconies on the Dream DO say that they have a "solid white wall" verandah.
But in the larger travel agent book/brochure that I have, only on the Magic and Wonder do they have staterooms with the white wall marked with an asterisk. The Dream's plans in that book don't have those markings.

So apparently, DCL needs to get it together and make sure that all of their materials say the same thing....which is: No solid white walls on the Dream.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
justmestace

I spoke at length with an agent for another cruise line yesterday, booking a cruise for my son.
I had already checked all of the deck plans and knew which staterooms were in which category, and what their balconies looked like.
She had to go from computer screen to screen double checking, because the info she had didn't match what I had. MINE were correct.

I had to laugh when she said "You've done this before" YEP.

The people who you speak to on the phones do not always have the correct information. We've seen time and time again that passengers have been given the wrong info on a lot of different subjects after speaking with a CM on the phone.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran

In all fairness, the agent is correct - the Dream does have solid white metal walls on the aft verandahs. But they are only shin high! Still solid, still white metal, so it's not technically incorrect, just not the same definition of the solid white metal walls on the Wonder/Magic.
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
BlackMamba
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
The aft verandahs on the Dream have a solid white metal wall that is about shin high, and plexiglass and metal railings above that to the normal height.

The Dream does not have any of the full metal wall verandahs like the Magic/Wonder have.
THANK YOU! Makes you wonder when a travel agent swears you are wrong. And that was a TA from DCL>
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Michael701x1
Earning My Ears

I can confirm that balconies I've had on the Fantasy and Wonder are plexi. There may be some areas in the front and rear of the ship where balcony white walls are higher but It's not the norm.
Michael701x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallsofVA View Post
In all fairness, the agent is correct - the Dream does have solid white metal walls on the aft verandahs. But they are only shin high! Still solid, still white metal, so it's not technically incorrect, just not the same definition of the solid white metal walls on the Wonder/Magic.
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: