Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
roxannex
Maleficenterrific

Should I get a photopass?

I've never gotten one before, but I was considering this for our upcoming trip because I am always the dedicated photo taker and I wanted to just be able to relax and not worry that I wasn't getting pictures. Do you get the photopass? I guess the downside is that's really for all of the pictures that you have to stand in line for, right?

1999 Caribbean Beach Club
2005 Yacht Club
2006 Beach Club
2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 Offsite at Windsor Hills!
December 6th, 2008 Disney Magic!
May 2009 Ginn Reunion
January 2012 Windsor Hills
roxannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We're not photopass people per se.........

Out of all our trips, they seem to be just in the main areas....nowhere where we travel or want a photo taken......we've seen huge lines for them, and we travel at non peak times.....

I know it may be alittle boring hauling around your camera and viewing everything thru your viewfinder....but the pictures we take are candid...not posed....others swear by them and their fancy borders but for us....I'd just rather pose and snap my own...not that much trouble.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxannex View Post
I've never gotten one before, but I was considering this for our upcoming trip because I am always the dedicated photo taker and I wanted to just be able to relax and not worry that I wasn't getting pictures. Do you get the photopass? I guess the downside is that's really for all of the pictures that you have to stand in line for, right?
It is good if you want to be in the picture. That is the main draw. I would not have pics of us together in front of the castle if it were not for Photopass. It was well worth the $99 for the photo of my fiance and I in front of EE that I have hanging on my wall. We took over 1000 pictures of our own but none of them had the both of us in them. So if you want photos as a couple/family yes you should get it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

I've done photopass the last 2 times and really thought it was worth it. Especially when we went this past Oct, it seemed like there were photographers everywhere and we never had to wait in line. The pictures are fantastic and the I love the borders. My favorite is that you can add the "signature" of almost every character onto meet/greet pictures.
DisneyHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Photopass photographers are stationed throughout the parks at the icons, certain character meet & greets, character meals and special events. For general park enjoyment pictures, you definitely want to bring your own camera too. Depending on the time of year, you don't necessarily have to wait in long lines to get your photopass picture taken.

My parents got a really cute photo session in front of the castle for their 50th wedding anniversary. There was no line.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
3_disprincesses
Mouseketeer

Priceless pictures of my little princess at 4 years of age meeting the Disney Princesses for the first time. I just stood there and enjoyed every moment of it and let the PhotoPass photographers worry about the pictures. I will use it again! We also take lots of pictures ourselves.

I spend thousands of dollars on our Disney vacations. Why would I worry about $99 more?!
Port Orleans Riverside, 2002
POP Century, 2006
POP Century, 2008
POP Century, 2012

Me Dh DD 21 DD 8 DS 20
3_disprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Wildflowerz
Can't Wait to See the Mouse Again!

I was gonna do it when we went last January, but never got around to ordering ahead of time. So I figured we get as many taken as possible and then look at them and decide when we got home. We didn't end up with a whole lot of pictures ans there were only 5 or so that I would really have liked to have. I didn't end up ordering them after the fact either. FWIW, in January, there was never more than a person or two waiting for the photographer at each spot. We ran into them quite a bit too. The pictures just weren't as fab as I thought they'd be. Good luck!

Next Trip: September 13-19, 2014
Wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

I think the last trip I ended up with 6 cd's worth after all was said and done. So I happen to think it's worth it. I have never seen a line specifically for photopass of more than 3-4 families. However, if you don't do any characters, then it may not be worth it for you. They do end up in all sorts of random places beyond the main icon shots. You just need to keep your eyes open for them. And doing night time photos, especially around the holidays, really benefit from their tripods. Admittedly, some of them are much better photographers than others, but there is no reason not to stop multiple times. I think we have stopped 2 or 3 times on our way into MK just going down Main Street before we even hit the hub just to get different viewpoints and perspectives. Each has their own flair. Heck, one day I was in the parks solo, and one photographer kept grabbing random people to be in my photos so it wasn't just me.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Linleedo
Mouseketeer

We have used it on two previous trips. You just walk up to a photographer, ask them for a pass, & stop wherever you see another photographer for a picture. At each photo, we also handed them our camera to take a picture too. We have never purchased a photo pass picture, but we had pictures on our camera that were nicer than the expensive photos on the photo pass.It is certainly a way to get nice pictures(at a cheaper cost). Most importantly, everyone in the tour group is in the photo!It's worth getting the card & you don't have to purchase the pictures unless you really like them & think they are worth it.
Linleedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

I highly recommended it. It's easy and quick if you're at the park during down season, and you can have pictures with everyone in them. Plus they know all the right angles, and can add Tinker Bell and other things into the pictures.

You don't have to buy pics if you don't want to, and you can still take your own pictures too. Just try it and see how you like it... my family has made a tradition out of getting the PhotoPass pictures.

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, and on DCL.

http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
snoopybabe
Mouseketeer

We used it this past December for our mother/daughter trip. They take lots of pictures & when you look at cost of other souvenirs it is definitley worth it.
snoopybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
It is good if you want to be in the picture. That is the main draw. I would not have pics of us together in front of the castle if it were not for Photopass. It was well worth the $99 for the photo of my fiance and I in front of EE that I have hanging on my wall. We took over 1000 pictures of our own but none of them had the both of us in them. So if you want photos as a couple/family yes you should get it.
Fwiw pp photographers will take pictures of you with your own camera
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I didn't experience many lines with Photopass when I was on my honeymoon last September. Granted, that was the slow season.

We were really glad we did it. I had thought that there wouldn't be many photographers once you got past the park entrance but they were actually quite numerous if you are looking for them. The only time we experienced lines were when we were seeing characters, but that is to be expected.

The only place that I wish there had been more photopass people was in the WS at Epcot. We only found one in China and if there was a character (like Belle or Jasmine). Wish they had been roaming the area more...especially in the Italy part.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Fwiw pp photographers will take pictures of you with your own camera
True, but are they going to spend as much time as they do using their cameras? Each photographer took 5-6 shots with us they posed us. Except for the "Magic shots" which were just one or two each. If we just had one shot there is a good chance we would have NO good pics. There were plenty that one of us had our eyes closed or some weird look on out faces. Another thing to remember is if you pre-order for $99 you can change your mind and get a refund. If you want it after the fact it is $149. I guess there is a discount if you don't get the CD also
Old 01-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
True, but are they going to spend as much time as they do using their cameras? Each photographer took 5-6 shots with us they posed us. Except for the "Magic shots" which were just one or two each. If we just had one shot there is a good chance we would have NO good pics. There were plenty that one of us had our eyes closed or some weird look on out faces. Another thing to remember is if you pre-order for $99 you can change your mind and get a refund. If you want it after the fact it is $149. I guess there is a discount if you don't get the CD also
Good points
Don't forget you can add boards to the photos too, that's fun although time consuming if you have a lot of photos
For the $99 it's def worth it I you like to get photo taken

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: