Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Two French-Canadians eat and drink around the world! COMPLETED! BONUS-US food 29oct

We are two Disney-loving French-Canadians returning from a fantastic trip to Florida. It was my second time at Disney and DH's first time. We spent 4 days at Universal - Royal Pacific Resort, then 12 days at Disney. Our resort was the Dolphin, which we liked because of the awesome location, a 10 minute walk to Epcot!

Some background info: I'm Stephanie, and I just turned 30 this year. I'll be writing this review, because DH, 32, does not speak/write a lot of English. We are also the proud parents of 3 little boys ages 7, 5 and 3, who were left at home because this was our "Disneymoon", even though we got married 3 years ago and have been together for 14 years!

Food-wise, we are pretty adventurous. We'll try everything once. I'm more of a salty type and I love adult beverages (and always got asked for id!). DH is a giant sweet tooth on legs. One year ago, I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, which is basically a weight-loss surgery. I lost 160 pounds since. My stomach has a capacity of 3-4 oz, so we shared all the food - I had a small taste and DH finished the dish off, lol. We didn't do many table services for this reason, but we managed to eat and drink at most of the kiosks and pavillions in Epcot - I think we missed only 2.

Here we are...

Last edited by nanienamou; 10-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

October 2nd, 2011

Today, our town car picked us up from the Royal Pacific Resort and we checked in the Dolphin @ 11 o'clock. The room was ready, so we changed and took a bus to Down Town Disney.

DH was hungry, so we headed to the Earl of sandwich at 1 o'clock. Of course, it was packed, but we decided to wait. Here was our pick:
The Earl's Cobb - grilled chicken, smoked bacon, Swiss and sharp cheddar cheese, Roma tomatoes, cucumber, cranberries and Buttermilk Ranch Dressing - 5.99 $

We also got:
The Earl's Grey Lemonade - fresh lemonade infused with freshly brewed Earl Grey Tea or Iced Tea $1.99 for 22 ounces, but I forgot to take a pic.

First off, the lemonade was awesome. I'm really a citrus fan and you could taste the distinct earl grey tea, too. It wasn't too sweet and it was really refreshing.

The salad was fresh, with good pieces of chicken (I really need my protein ince I have such a small stomach). I loved the dried cranberries in the salad. It added a nice touch with the dressing. Overall a pretty good counter service salad for a great price. DH finished it off and liked it as well, even though he is not a salad lover - especially on vacation, lol!

We then did a little browsing, to make some place for desert at Girhardelli's.

Here's a lollipop stand @ World of Disney. We brought some back to the kiddos.

And a counter of sweets @ Goofy's. DH came back here 3 times to get a stash of goodies as you'll see later...

After that, we went to Girhardelli's for the first time - we don't have them in Canada. We shared this:
The Gold Rush - Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sundae - Vanilla ice cream with freshly homemade hot fudge and melted peanut butter throughout. Topped with whipped cream, chopped almonds, a cherry and Ghirardelli Squares milk chocolate $8.95

The sundae costs more than the salad, lol! Anyway, ice cream has always been my favorite desert, but I have a hard time eating it since I got my surgery. It's just to rich, I always feel queasy after a bite and sometimes, it induces dumping syndrome. But I was determined to try this, since I've seen it on so many reviews. It did not disappoint! DH ate the chocolate square and loved it. He already had 2, since they were giving out samples that day! I got a good taste of the ice cream and the sauces, but stopped myself after a couple of mouthfuls since I didn't want to get sick. I still felt a little queasy later on, but it was worth it, lol! The mix of peanut butter and fudge was awesome!

We then returned to the hotel and had a rest, unpacked and prepared for our 8 o'clock reservation @ Il Mullino. To be continued in the next post.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
SnwflkCts
I wanna go back ... when can I go back???

You are off to a great start. Wow that sundae looked delicious -- now I am hungry! Looking forward to the rest of your reviews. I bet it was fun to get away by yourselves for a little time!
DH, me, DCats: Maddie (12), Peanut Butter (12), Jelly Bean (7), Snowflake RIP 1/2010@19 yrs & Baby Button@2 yrs in 11/2011 - Feb 06 Poly; Nov 06 Poly (21st Wedding Ann.); Feb 09 Poly; Feb 10 Poly Second Dining Report 2/07/2010 thru 2/12/2010
SnwflkCts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

So we checked in @ Il Mullino at about 7:45 for our 8:00 p.m. reservation and were immediately seated. The restaurant was not crowded. I made this ADR at hubby's request, since Italian is his favorite food and I had read good reviews of Il Mullino, that is in the Swan lobby, just a minute away from our hotel, the Dolphin.

I started with a mango bellini which I really enjoyed. DH got water. He is not a beer/wine fan and rarely drinks alcoholic beverages. He is also a Pepsi drinker, so he didn't get lots of soft drinks at Disney, which is not a bad thing, lol!

Anyway, we had excellent service that night but I didn't note our server's name. She brought out hot bread with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip. I don't eat lots of bread, because I get full to quickly from it, but I had a taste and it was good, especially with the mix of oil and vinegar. DH is the bread love in the couple and litterally finished the basket by himself by the end of the meal. There was also a little amuse-bouche: a couple of home-made salami slices and a type of eggplant/zucchini ratatouille. Both were really good, I ate all the salami since I love fine charcuterie. Sadly I didn't get a pic of the bread and amuse-bouche.

After perusing the menus, I settled on:
Insaccati Misti for Two - A Platter of Italian Delights: Prosciutto, Mortadella, Soprassata, Cacciatorini, Parmigiano Reggiano, Roasted Red Peppers, Cherry Vinegar Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Buffalo Mozzarella $24

DH chose:
Tortellini Alla Panna - Meat Tortellini and Peas in a Cream Sauce $22

We asked the server to bring out both dishes at the same time since we would be sharing. Also, DH only got the half-portion of his pasta plate since we had chosen a big platter. I love that they had half-portions available for pasta dishes. On the bill, they charged us 14 $ for a half-portion, which was still a nice plate.

Here is the platter:

Again, I forgot to take a pic of DH's plate. I get better at this, I promise.

All in all, we had a very positive experience at this restaurant. It is a little expensive, but a really good value for the quality of the food served. The platter was quite big, with plenty of meats and cheeses. I love that they put capers on the roasted peppers. The cherry vinegar peppers were HOT. We eat spicy food, but this was almost too spicy for me. DH loved them, though. And I love how they also include a small caprese salad stack. My favorite was the salamis. DH's pasta was also very good, the sauce was not too thick but still rich, the peas were good and firm and the tortellini al dente. He loved his meal. We would definetely come back.

Before leaving, we had the complimentary limoncello from the bucket. DH sipped it a bit, but was not a big fan, but I finished my glass. It was delicious and a fantastic way to finish a meal.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

October 3, 2011

Today, we planned to get to MK for rope drop, so we decided to have breakfast at the hotel's counter service, Picabu. I had made a Starbucks coffee in our room, so I just got a regular Yoplait yogurt. On a side note, I had never had non-dairy creamer before this trip and seriously, it is nasty! i tried both kinds, liquid and powder, and prefered my coffee black than with the creamer.

Anyway, DH had:
Picabu Breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, lyonnaise-style potatoes, two slices of toast $10.50

This was seriously overpriced and the quality was blah. DH didn't like the potatoes and had a cultural shock when he discovered that the butter served was not salted! He spent the rest of the trip salting his toast. I don't have a pic of my yogourt, because it was just your ordinary berry yogourt with a foil lid. Overall, we didn't like Picabu at all the couple of times we went, so we ended up avoiding it. We found that qs restaurants in the parks were better, quality and price-wise. It was one of the only letdowns of the Dolphin.

We made rope drop and stopped mid-morning for a snack. This was the snack I most anticipated and it is now my favorite snack in Disney.

Pineapple Float - pineapple, vanilla, or orange Dole Whip with pineapple juice $4.49

What can I say? I cupful of heaven. It's not as rich as ice cream, so I had no problem with it and since I love pineapple, it was perfect. I love when the whip melted in the juice! DH got a couple of bites, but I was the one that ate most of it! He loved it as well, but not as much as me.

We continued our touring - by the way, we used the plans included in the unofficial guide and they were awesome! We got to see all the major attractions in the 4 parks without more than 10 minutes wait (if that) and had time left over for shows and browsing.

We stopped at Columbia Harbour House for lunch. Now I know that I snapped pics, but I can't find them, so sadly this meal will be photoless.

I had New England Clam Chowder $4.69 and DH had Anchors Aweigh Sandwich - white tuna with lettuce and tomato on toasted multigrain bun with potato chips $8.99. We also got an iced tea.

Cultural shock number two , here in Canada, we don't have the distinction between iced tea and sweet tea. We only have iced tea, which is sweetened. I was thirsty and when I took a big sip of CHH's iced tea, I was surprised to find it unsweetened - I almost spit it out. We had to add sugar and sweet and low to get it palatable. We did not make that mistake twice.

On the other hand, the clam chowder was really good, and we dipped our chips in it. I loved the little crackers placed on top of the soup, too, we don't have those here. The tuna sandwich was great too, just enough mayo, fresh tomato and lettuce, great bread. We would return here in a heartbeat, too bad it was closed during EMH later that week.

After lunch, it was getting seriously crowded and hot, so we returned to the hotel to rest. Before returning to MK that night for the parade and Wishes, we ate at The Fountain at our hotel.

I had:
Chili and Cheese Soup Bowl $5.25

And DH had:
Reuben - sliced corned beef, Panini bread, Thousand Island dressing, swiss cheese, sauerkraut $12.75

We also got a pink lemonade. Service was very quick and the server made sure that we got a lemonade refill as soon as the glass was 2/3 empty. We were early (4-5 o'clock), so the restaurant was very quiet and almost empty. We found it got quite busy between 6 and 9 each night.

I loved the soup. It had lots of meat and beans, and had quite a kick. I couldn't finish it off, so DH took care of it.

Dh also was pleased with his Reuben, it was an original presentation. His only complaint was that there was lots of cheese and it was a little hard to cut through.

All in all, we were very satisfied with this meal and it was good bang for our buck - about 25 $ with tax and service. We went back later that week.

To finish off the night we got a second Pineapple Float to eat while watching Wishes, lol! It was as good as the first one!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Great reviews and pictures! That antipasti platter at Il Mulino looks wonderful!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

October 4, 2011 - Eating and Drinking Around the World Part 1

Today was an Epcot day. I really wanted to make rope drop, but I woke up with a headache, so I took 2 Advils and got back to sleep for a little while. DH ate for breakfast some crackers and cheese we had picked up with our town car stop at Publix a few days earlier. We arrived at Epcot around 9:40-10:00 o'clock. After touring a little of Future World, we were getting hungry and World Showcase was opening up. But first off, I wanted to stop at Club Cool, so that DH could taste Beverly. Of course, he had no idea it was so bitter.

I then tried it. I didn't like it, but I didn't find it THAT bad. I guess I'm used to bitter taste or something. That being said, I wouldn't down a cup.

My favorite was Mezzo Mix, which is basically coke with orange flavor. DH's favorite was Vegita Beta from Japan. He really liked trying out the different kinds of sodas.

We then stopped to get a Festival bracelet card which was wonderful to use. I used it all around Disney.

There was also a lady explaining the harvest of cranberries by the World Showcase entrance.

The first booth we hit was Australia. We got:
Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Citrus Glaze–$4.50

Grilled Lamb Chop with Potato-Goat Cheese Salad and Shiraz Reduction–$5.75

These were both very good. I thought the shrimp was a little expensive, for the little skewer, but they were well cooked and the little glaze added an interesting touch. The winner for me was the lamb chop. I love lamb and this was perfectly cooked medium and went so well with the goat cheese. Definetely delicious, but a little hard to eat standing up. I ended up munching around the bone, lol! DH also liked both items, but prefered the lamd. He doesn't like bone-in meat, however, so I got more of the chop and he got more of the shrimp.

We then skipped over to Brazil and got:
Seared Mahi Mahi with steamed Rice, Hearts of Palm, and Coconut-Lime Sauce–$4.50

This is one of DH's favorite dishes at the festival. He usually finds white fish bland, but really liked this seared mahi with the tomato garnish. I also liked it, but not as much as DH. I didn't find alot of lime/coconut taste in there. I guess that's a good thing, since DH is not fan of coconut.

We then stopped at the Carribean kiosk. DH wanted the jerk chicken drumstick, but there were not ready yet. So I took one for the team and got :
Frozen Rock Coconut Mojito–$7.50

OMG this was good! Seriously in the top 5 cocktails I had in my life! The coconut taste was so rich and went so well with the minty mojito. I would go for one right now! DH just got a mini sip, since he doesn't like coconut, as I said. More for me!

In Argentina, we got:
Beef Empanada–$3.75

This was more for DH than me, since I was still sipping my cocktail and I have a difficult time digesting doughy things. I had a taste of the filling, however and it was pretty good. DH liked this as well, but it didn't stand out.

We skipped Mexico, since we had La Hacienda reservations later that week.

We stopped at the Scandinavian kiosk and got:
Taste of Scandinavia — Shrimp Salad, Cured Salmon and Herring–$4.00

This was one of my favorite picks of the festival. We had never had herring and were pleasantly surprised. It had a buttery texture and a hint of sweetness that went really well with the dill mustard. The salmon was also really good. The white bits are actually a broken cracker. The shrimp salad was under it. This was served cold and they pull it out of the fridge when you order, so the cracker was a little soft, but that's the only negative thing I can say. It would be better if they waited to put the cracker on the plate when you order. DH also fought me for the herring and salmon, lol!

As a side note, I was surprised to see swedish meatballs on the menu, since you can get some pretty decent ones at IKEA, lol! We passed on those. It would have been interesting to have another savory pick.

We then backtracked to Future World, since we had FPs for Soarin to use. After that, we hit another 4 kiosk on our way out International Gateway.

First off, Hawaii:
Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise–$3.00

I only had a little taste, since it was more bread than filling but found it really good. Loved the mayo and the pineapple with the pork. DH love it but again commented that there wasn't enought filling for the amount of bread.

In Greece, I got:
Dannon Greek Yogurt Parfait with Strawberries–$2.50

I know there were more interesting choices, but I love greek yogourt and this was good, light and refreshing. Nothing exceptional, but it hit the spot and was a perfect light desert.

And finally, in Ireland, DH got:
Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache–$3.00

This was hands down the favorite dessert/snack of DH. He got it several times later in the week. We even took a picture of the recipe in the F&W cookbook so that we could make it at home. It was a little to sweet and chocolatey for me since I'm not a chocolate person - weird, I know.

We then headed back to the hotel for our afternoon rest. But we came back later... to be continued...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnwflkCts View Post
You are off to a great start. Wow that sundae looked delicious -- now I am hungry! Looking forward to the rest of your reviews. I bet it was fun to get away by yourselves for a little time!
Thanks! It was awesome to be by ourselves! We really enjoyed our trip.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Great reviews and pictures! That antipasti platter at Il Mulino looks wonderful!
Thank you! Yes, it was really good. I would certainly get it again!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

After a hotel break and a nap, we were back to Epcot and ready to eat!

We made a stop at the France kiosk and got:
Coq au Vin sur gratin de macaroni (Red Wine braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions, and Macaroni Gratin)–$4.95

Parisien Cosmo Slush (Ciroc Vodka, Grand Marnier, Cranberry Juice)–$8.50

DH really loved the coq au vin with mac and cheese. He loves braised meats and pasta so this was a no brainer. I also tasted it the gravy was rich and thick, the meat was tender and the mac wand cheese was very good mixed with the coq au vin. However, it is a very rich and filling dish and the portion was big. I could have made a meal out of that.

The Cosmo slush was awesome, had a really nice kick to it and the portion is as big a Grand Marnier Slushie at the Vins of France kiosk. It was really nice.

We then stopped at the Portugal kiosk. DH chose:
Pastel de Nata–$3.00

This would not have been my choice, I would have gone with the calamari salad, but DH wanted something sweet. He liked it but it didn't stand out for him. I liked it too, but found there was too much crust for the filling. But it was still good. Too bad we didn't get back to this kiosk to try the other offerings.

At the Morocco kiosk, DH got:
Kefta Pocket (Beef in a Pita Pocket)–$5.00

Again, this was not bad, but did not stand out. I'm a little sad that we didn't go with the harrissa chicken. It looked so good.

We stopped by the Japan kiosk:
Tuna and Salmon Sensation–$5.95

I will say that I love sushi, but this didn't do it for me. For some reason, I thought that the soy sauce would be seasoned or spiced up or something, but it was only ordinary soy sauce. It would have been good with a little bit of wasabi or hot sauce. I found it a little bland. DH had the same comment. However, the fish was fresh and of good quality, the avocado was not brown and it was chilled.

DH then spotted the Italy kiosk:
Ravioli Di Formaggio All’Emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Beef Bolognese Sauce, Parmesan Cheese, Melted Mozzarella)–$4.50

Cannolo Al Cioccolato (Chocolate Covered Cannoli Shell Filled with Sweet Ricotta Cheese, Chocolate, and Candied Fruit)-$3.50

Sorry for the unfocused pic. I didn't taste these. DH didn't have a lot to say about these. He found the ravioli average and liked the cannoli.

The last stop was at Karamel Kuche. DH got this beauty:

And I got this:

DH liked his selection. I tasted it and loved the salted pecans with the soft caramel. I munched around the chocolate middle. I absolutely loved my marshmallow/caramel roll, but it was really sweet, so I ate it by small bites, over the next two days at the hotel.

And that's it for that day!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Loving these reviews!! We leave in 10 days for our first F&W.

Cannot wait to try the lava cake. It was the first thing on my list!!

I will have to try the mojito also.
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Disneybrenda
Earning My Ears

Great review so far. My children are grown, but my husband and I love going by ourselves.
Disneybrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

October 5th, 2011

Today, DH had some crackers and I had a coffee in the room before we left to make rope drop at Animal Kingdom. We went on the Safari first and then stopped at the Harambe Fruit Market for a mixed fruit cup.

This was fresh and sweet and perfect. I love fruit in the morning. DH finished it off.

We continued our itinerary, and we had a late luch ADR at Yak and Yeti, but DH was really hungry by 11:00 so we got:
Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Pretzel $4.29

This was the first time we tried a big pretzel and boy was it good! I could only have a couple of bites because it is rich, but I really liked it. DH inhaled it, so I'm pretty sure that he loved it, lol!

With that, we got:
Lemon Ice

This is awesome on a hot day. Cold and refreshing and not too sweet.

Later on, we checked in at Yak and Yeti for our ADR. Even at 2:00 p.m., the restaurant was full and had a wait line.

First off, I had to have this adult beverage:
Yak Attack

This was good, but very sweet. I couldn't taste the alcool, but we had a hard time to finish it since it was so sweet.

For my main, I ordered an appetizer:
Seared Ahi Tuna - chilled, sesame-encrusted ahi tuna, wasabi aioli, and sweet chili slaw $10.99

This was beautifully presented! And it was delish! The combination of tuna, wasabi creme and slaw was fantastic. The soy sauce was seasoned and spicy and added a good burt of taste. I would get this again.

DH ordered this:
Crispy Honey Chicken - tempura chicken, broccoli, carrots, honey sauce $17.99

I wasn't surprised by his choice, he loves sweet sauces. I did not taste it, since I could take or leave these kinds of dishes, but he really liked it. He would have prefered grilled chicken to fried chicken, but he still cleaned his plate.

By this point we were really full - DH had to finish my appy, but I really wanted to taste a dessert:
Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle $7.99

Wow, this was good but RICH! I barely ate half a wonton with a tiny bit of ice cream. DH ate the rest and liked it, but this would not have been his first choice.

By this time, we were ready to get back to the hotel and have a rest before hitting Epcot for EMH. To be continued...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

So we relaxed a bit at the hotel before heading back to Epcot. Once in Epcot, our first stop was Ireland.

We got:
Lobster and Scallop Fisherman’s Pie–$5.75

This was good, but a little greasy from the melted cheese. There were plenty of scallops and lobster bits and the mash was good. A nice dish.

And DH had to get another:
Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache–$3.00

This time, the center was not as liquid, but DH still loved it and scrafed it down, lol!.

At this time, the kiosk were closing up since it was around 9:00 p.m. We had planned touring Future World during EMH, but of course, we needed more food so we headed to Morrocco, hoping that Tangierine Café was still open. It was! We had:
Shawarma Platters - served with side of Hummus, Tabouleh and a Tangierine Couscous Salad with fresh Moroccan bread
Chicken & Lamb Combo $13.99

Now this plate has serious bang for your buck! It was huge! You could easily share it - which we did, of course. There were a ton of meat on there! I tried everything except the bread and it was delicious. Loved the raisins in the couscous. DH likes his tabouleh a little less acidic and wet, but I thought it was perfect. Although we have had better in authentic places, this was still an awesome dish that I would really recommend. We did come back later in the week for another plate.

After our Morroccan dish, we stopped in Japan for:
Kaki Gori $3.50
Shaved ice topped with fruit syrups: choice of strawberry, melon, mikan (tangerine), or rainbow (all three flavors)

I chose rainbow but asked that they omit the melon flavour, which I don't really like. I loved the top part, the syrup was less concentrated, so it was just perfect, but once at the bottom, it was just too sweet for me, so I trashed it. Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll get another one soon. It's basically an ice cone like you get at your local fair. It's not bad, but there are some more interesting choices in Epcot, imo.

Food-wise, our day finished here, while we headed to Future World to visit a couple of attractions. I really wanted a coffee on the way out, but the kiosk near the International Gateway was just closing up, so I skipped the coffee. We were back at the hotel around 11:30 p.m.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

October 6th, 2011

Today, we were heading to DHS and I really wanted to make rope drop, so we got breakfast at Picabu again.

DH got the same breakfast and I got a yogourt and a coffee. The total was just under 20 bucks! We decided to forgo Picabu for the rest of the trip and just stick to breakfast in the parks. Here's the platter again. Same comment as before, this was not very good, the potatoes were not fresh and very greasy and the overall quality was just not that good.

The importance of making rope drop if you want to ride the major rides: the place was packed! We were lucky enough to be at the front.

Mid-morning, we stopped at Starring Rolls for a little snack. We got an iced coffee and this beauty - the red velvet cupcake.

Once cut in two:

We both really liked this cupcake! The cake was moist and the cream cheese icing was delicious. I also loved the chocolate/toffee bits on top. I would definetely get this again. Be prepared to share, these cupcakes are massive! The coffee was just regular coffee on ice. We added real cream (yay for real cream!) and sweet and low to sweeten it up a bit. It was ok and a good caffeine boost.

We had a 2:00 p.m. ADR at Sci Fi Dine-In and I was really excited about it! I didn't have any expectations for the food, we were really going for the experience.

They were quite busy and we had a 20 minute wait, which was the longest on the trip. They were not taking walk-ups at that time either. Here I am, waiting patiently, lol! Loved the large benches!

Inside...

We were seated in the front of a car, at the back of the dining room, but we still had a great view of the screen. There is not a bad seat in the place, I think. I can't say that the service was exceptionnal. We waited a long time for the bill and the waiter seemed to disappear a lot during the meal. But it was no biggie, either, we were too concentrated on the screen.

I had a lemonade and, as my main I had chicken wings, but I can't seem to find them on the online menus. They had a sweet and spicy glaze on them and were served with celery sticks and blue cheese sauce.

They also came in a cone, but the server never thought to bring me a dish for the bones. The wings were good and hot, quite spicy and big. I could only eat 3 and I was full.

DH had:
Angus Chuck Burger - flame broiled beef patty topped with cheddar or Swiss cheese, sauteed onions, mushrooms, and crispy bacon, lettuce and vine-ripened tomatoes, served with a choice of cucumber salad or french fries $13.99

I had told them that I had read alot of reviews stating that the burgers were good here, so he wanted to try one. He liked that it was served pink in the middle, since you can't get that here, all ground meats are served well-done in restaurants. Overall, he said it was a good burger. Not as good as those we make at home, but still fairly decent.

We really like the feeling of the place and it was so quiet! Well, except for the screen, but still, it's a great place to chill and eat. I'm not sure if we would come back next trip or if we would try another table service (Brown Derby), but we were happy with Sci-Fi.

We then returned to the hotel for a much needed break, since the park was crowded and it was really hot. Later up - Downtown Disney for dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: