DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Hilton Head or Vero Beach?

So we just got off a disney cruise and did an add on while on board. Added 50 points.

Options we were looking at was:

To purchase Hilton Head at $80 points a piece or to purchase Vero Beach at $75 points a piece.

I asked which was more difficult to book in the summer which is when we would have normal use. I was told Hilton Head. We, eventually, opted for Hilton head, but my mind is having second thoughts and thinking maybe we should have did Vero Beach instead....

Thoughts? If you had the choice between the two which would you choose?

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
JBx3
12 hrs. to HHI & 16 hrs. to AKV

sounds like a good choice. HHI definitely harder to book in summer.

Member since 2008-------------------------Member since 2010
JBx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

First, HHI is smaller and therefore harder to book for the summer months. But 2nd, they are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT resorts so where do you want to vacation? What kind of beach do you like? Vero is easy to combine with a trip to WDW and is easier to book at 7 months. The surf can be rough there and you can definitely boogie board etc. Vero is a beautiful resort but there's not much going on around the area. We're good with about 3 nights there and were bored. The whole town rolls up the carpet at 9:00. Nice way to unwind after a week on the go at Disney tho. HHI is a very wide beach with calm waters (not much boogie boarding going on there). But there's definitely more going on. Lots more shopping & restaurants... Very popular place to ride bikes (the beach is very hard packed so people ride them ON the beach). They're just both very different. Nothing alike. So it's tough to say which one you're better off with but HHI is the harder one to book if that's what you're basing this decision on.

Curious - why didn't you buy at a WDW resort instead? They have much lower maintenance fees which more than makes up for the price diff. per point in the long run. (We have been able to book both at 7 months in August but for HHI I called at 9:00 am ON THE DOT.)

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
First, HHI is smaller and therefore harder to book for the summer months. But 2nd, they are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT resorts so where do you want to vacation? What kind of beach do you like? Vero is easy to combine with a trip to WDW and is easier to book at 7 months. The surf can be rough there and you can definitely boogie board etc. Vero is a beautiful resort but there's not much going on around the area. We're good with about 3 nights there and were bored. The whole town rolls up the carpet at 9:00. Nice way to unwind after a week on the go at Disney tho. HHI is a very wide beach with calm waters (not much boogie boarding going on there). But there's definitely more going on. Lots more shopping & restaurants... Very popular place to ride bikes (the beach is very hard packed so people ride them ON the beach). They're just both very different. Nothing alike. So it's tough to say which one you're better off with but HHI is the harder one to book if that's what you're basing this decision on.

Curious - why didn't you buy at a WDW resort instead? They have much lower maintenance fees which more than makes up for the price diff. per point in the long run. (We have been able to book both at 7 months in August but for HHI I called at 9:00 am ON THE DOT.)
We already own at Bay Lake Towers so we wanted an add on that wasn't in the same area.

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran

They are so different it is really hard to say. Peak times for each are very different too due to weather.

Getting HHI for June and July can be very hard if you want a studio or one bedroom.

Of the two, we prefer HHI, because there is more to do on HHI than the Vero Beach immediate area.

Last edited by Sammie; 10-16-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Have you considered resale, HH and VB are available for less than $60.

We own at 5 resorts at WDW so we always can get what we want at 11 months. Our feelings are that if we are going to spend all of this money on vacations, we might as well stay where we want, when we want.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
...To purchase Hilton Head at $80 points a piece or to purchase Vero Beach at $75 points a piece. ...
Yikes! You can buy either of them as resale for a lot less than those prices.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Ditto this - both have been selling in the resale market for in the $30-$40 dollar ranges for awhile now.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We bought at HHI because we couldn't get our family into a 2 bedroom for the Spring Break. Now that we own, we're going over the 4th of July next year, 2 bedroom and a studio.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
STLDisney_Freak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Have you considered resale, HH and VB are available for less than $60.

We own at 5 resorts at WDW so we always can get what we want at 11 months. Our feelings are that if we are going to spend all of this money on vacations, we might as well stay where we want, when we want.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post
Ditto this - both have been selling in the resale market for in the $30-$40 dollar ranges for awhile now.
We, occasionally, like to cruise on our points so a resale would not benefit us much in that area. Thus is part of the reason we choose to go direct with Disney.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
chunkygal
Mouseketeer

What Annie said is a good rundown of the differences...just what you want. For a lot o nothing you cant beat Vero...but HH in October...great
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
Bethd5
Earning My Ears

Definitely Hilton Head

Hilton Head is far better than Vero Beach. Hilton Head has access to more restaurants, activities etc. Beautiful property and it is usually booked every day, all summer to make sure you book at your 11 month window.

Enjoy!
Bethd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethd5 View Post
hilton head is far better than vero beach. Hilton head has access to more restaurants, activities etc. Beautiful property and it is usually booked every day, all summer to make sure you book at your 11 month window.

Enjoy!
+1. Also the beach is much nicer at HH IMHO.

Last edited by CMOORE185; 10-26-2011 at 01:46 PM.
CMOORE185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
ovalhead96
Mouseketeer

I agree

Quote:
Please take a look at the point structure for a cruise before buying. The money you save buying retail, could pay for a cruise.

If you don't want to do the parks one year, and do a disney cruise, you could always rent your points, and probably get a better category.

Don't want to come across the wrong way, but don't like to see people spend more than they need to

Good luck with what ever decision you make!
ovalhead96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: