Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #61
apurplebrat


Turning the whole world purple!
 
apurplebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
When we did the trip last month, we flew Air France and had our connections in CDG for our flights into Rome and out of Venice.
In both instances you had to go from one terminal to another. 2E to 2F if memory serves.
In order to do this, you take a shuttle bus.
You also walk down and around and up and down and around again in the process.
Also, you WILL have to go through passport control and a security check point.

I wouldn't want to have any less time than 2 hours between flights.
A slight delay in your arriving flight could become very stressful

Oh, BTW on our flight into CDG from NY, they didn't have a gate available and we disembarked via a stairway and then had to take a shuttle bus to the main shuttle bus... They have a lot of those stair thingings all over the place, so my assumption is that this is a common occurrence

Also, just an FYI... The Venice airport is crazy crowded when you first get there. The check in counters don't open until 2 hours before scheduled flights, this is for all airlines. While tourist travel has increased, the area at the check in counter and security has not. It is truly "cattle call" time.
Once you get through security the airport itself is beautiful at the gate areas.
ABD will have your water taxi scheduled to pick you up approx. 3 hours before your flight !!!
Trust me .... You'll need it

This is great info. I love love love Paris but not CDG airport. I think I will try to avoid a connection there. The Delta flight from Venice to JFK with a connnector to Bos might be the way to go for us.
__________________
apurplebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #62
JWren1234
Disney Adventurer
Steakhouse 55 - Now that is some good dining!
 
JWren1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
When we did the trip last month, we flew Air France and had our connections in CDG for our flights into Rome and out of Venice.
In both instances you had to go from one terminal to another. 2E to 2F if memory serves.
In order to do this, you take a shuttle bus.
You also walk down and around and up and down and around again in the process.
Also, you WILL have to go through passport control and a security check point.

I wouldn't want to have any less time than 2 hours between flights.
A slight delay in your arriving flight could become very stressful

Oh, BTW on our flight into CDG from NY, they didn't have a gate available and we disembarked via a stairway and then had to take a shuttle bus to the main shuttle bus... They have a lot of those stair thingings all over the place, so my assumption is that this is a common occurrence

Also, just an FYI... The Venice airport is crazy crowded when you first get there. The check in counters don't open until 2 hours before scheduled flights, this is for all airlines. While tourist travel has increased, the area at the check in counter and security has not. It is truly "cattle call" time.
Once you get through security the airport itself is beautiful at the gate areas.
ABD will have your water taxi scheduled to pick you up approx. 3 hours before your flight !!!
Trust me .... You'll need it
Thank you so much for posting this Marilee! This is very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurplebrat View Post
This is great info. I love love love Paris but not CDG airport. I think I will try to avoid a connection there. The Delta flight from Venice to JFK with a connnector to Bos might be the way to go for us.
I agree about CDG, I didn't have a particularly good experience. Thankfully the bellini and the wine from the night before helped to keep me mellow and get me through it!

Jason
JWren1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #63
tardis1029
First trip in'73 and still going strong!
 
tardis1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 118

[QUOTE=mattincanberra;43078330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

I am flying American from Boston to JFK and then British Airways JFK-London-Rome, then Venice-London-Singapore-Melbourne-Canberra (Stopping for a couple of nights in London - with the possibility of a sneaky side trip to Paris).
Matt -

You seem to be the expert flier here - so I hope you don't mind my silly question --- John is looking into the flights and one of the options is to take one carrier to London and another carrier to Rome - Here is my silly question... If we do that ( 2 different airlines ) - Does my luggage follow me ??? or do I have to pick it up when we land in London and check it in at the next carrier to Rome ..
I don't care so much about the jet lag as I do about having my luggage.
We have always taken direct flights but the price is so much cheaper with connections .....

However we have also been looking into BA to London - Rome too
Thank Micki
__________________

tardis1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #64
tardis1029
First trip in'73 and still going strong!
 
tardis1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 118

[QUOTE=DisneyKevin;43078491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattincanberra View Post

I think I could plan an entire trip around a trip to Fauchon.

The 2012 Eclair......
ahhh how wonderful that would be right now ... there are snow flakes outside my window and it's only OCTOBER in NYC
Micki
__________________

tardis1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #65
tardis1029
First trip in'73 and still going strong!
 
tardis1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Staten Island NY
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Italy is part of the EU and euros are the coin of the realm.

By the way....you know us.....we are not usually willing to just let things be.

We always like to tinker with our trips.

No details, no answers, nothing definite...but....you may have options.

There...was that cryptic enough?

Buono Serra!

TINKER AWAY !! we are with you 110% ....
Micki
__________________

tardis1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #66
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran
 
stenogoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 1,981

Micki: I'm no expert but I think if you change airlines you have to pick up your bags. I also think that if you don't book it all as one ticket you have to pick up your bags. The savings may not be worth it. (can't wait to see you and John in Dec!)

Kevin: Can't wait for the new and improved plan. What luck you guys get to go to Italy early to pave the way for our trip! Totally a win-win.
__________________
stenogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #67
corky441


It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.
 
corky441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
Posts: 2,788

Hi Mickie -

Right now I'm looking at flights for the Bella Italia trip next year, my wishful thinking planning

The airlines these days all do what they call "code sharing". They affiliate themselves with other airlines and, for a better word, share flights.

For example, I'm looking at Air Italia for a flight into Venice. The leg from JFK takes me to Rome, this flight is really on Delta. The leg from Rome to Venice is on Air Italia. It's ONE ticket so my bags will follow me.
But, if I booked a flight on Delta to Rome and then booked the Rome to Venice flight separately - I would have TWO tickets and would have to retrieve my luggage and go through security again.

For us, I also have to consider our flight from Buffalo to NY. We like to fly Jet Blue and they code share with Luftstansa and Aer Lingus.
. So. If I book with Jet Blue/Luftstansa or Jet Blue/Aer Lingus, i will have a connection in both JFK and Frankfurt Germany or Dublin Ireland, but my luggage will get checked all the way to Venice and all I have to do is get to the necessary terminals and
gates.

Whew... And I thought just worrying about the jet lag was a pain
__________________
*Marilee
Your best life isn't necessarily your favorite life or the one you selfishly want. It's simply the life you're best at.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the acqua alta.



Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #68
mattincanberra
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 123

[QUOTE=tardis1029;43092614]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattincanberra View Post
If we do that ( 2 different airlines ) - Does my luggage follow me ??? or do I have to pick it up when we land in London and check it in at the next carrier to Rome ..

However we have also been looking into BA to London - Rome too
Thank Micki
Usually if you are on one ticket there is not a problem.

But it is often cheaper to book two different tickets - for example, New York - London on American, then BA to Rome.

If you stick to the members of the same alliance, usually you would drop your bags off at New York, and then not see them again until Rome.

There are three alliances:
Oneworld - www.oneworld.com (BA, American, Iberia and others)
Skyteam - www.skyteam.com (Delta, Alitalia, KLM, Air France and others)
Star - www.staralliance.com (Lufthansa, United, Swiss, bmi and others

if you stick within one of the alliances you will get bags interlined, and also your frequent flyer miles will all go into one account.
mattincanberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #69
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,738

If you are still air fare shopping, you might check fares today. AA, US Air and United have dropped fares significantly for our itinerary (which is a bit strange).
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #70
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran
 
Chropistopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
If you are still air fare shopping, you might check fares today. AA, US Air and United have dropped fares significantly for our itinerary (which is a bit strange).
Jack - Does that mean you guys have officially joined the group?

Anyone have any feedback on these airlines? I've never flown with US Air or United. I checked out US Air and found a fare that is several hundred dollars less than Delta...who is my preferred airline.
__________________
Christy

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #71
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
Jack - Does that mean you guys have officially joined the group?

Anyone have any feedback on these airlines? I've never flown with US Air or United. I checked out US Air and found a fare that is several hundred dollars less than Delta...who is my preferred airline.
"Officially" we are waiting for Kevin to get back to me on a quote and since he is in Hawaii (or on the way at least) I told him not to hurry. But unofficially, we are planning on it.

We regularly fly US Air. Our last flight was 2 weeks ago and it was utterly painless. We flew US Air for PCC 2.0 and the only downside was that we had to walk from one end of the Charlotte airport to the other. I don't know why I found that more of an ordeal than Hartsfield or O'Hare. Unfamiliarity, I suppose.

I've flown United without incident but I only fly them sporadically. Same for AA.

I'm like you. Delta is my first choice but not if they are, as they are at present, $1000 more per person than AA/United/US Air. I'm hoping Delta will match this fare sale pretty soon.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #72
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
Jack - Does that mean you guys have officially joined the group?

Anyone have any feedback on these airlines? I've never flown with US Air or United. I checked out US Air and found a fare that is several hundred dollars less than Delta...who is my preferred airline.
"Officially" we are waiting for Kevin to get back to me on a quote and since he is in Hawaii (or on the way at least) I told him not to hurry. But unofficially, we are planning on it.

We regularly fly US Air. Our last flight was 2 weeks ago and it was utterly painless. We flew US Air for PCC 2.0 and the only downside was that we had to walk from one end of the Charlotte airport to the other. I don't know why I found that more of an ordeal than Hartsfield or O'Hare. Unfamiliarity, I suppose.

I've flown United without incident but I only fly them sporadically. Same for AA.

I'm like you. Delta is my first choice but right now they $1000 more per person than AA/United/US Air. I'm hoping Delta will match this fare sale pretty soon.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #73
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran
 
stenogoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 1,981

Delta is our preferred airline too. But United as a flight for $500 bucks to get over there and $900 to get back. I don't know if we should go ahead and book or wait and hope that Delta matches. I don't know what the odds are on that. I feel very torn. I check first class prices and they haven't changed, mores the pity, but for that money I could book three econo seats like John and Kevin do, which may go some way towards helping the flight be less of a pain in the butt.
__________________
stenogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #74
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
Delta is our preferred airline too. But United as a flight for $500 bucks to get over there and $900 to get back. I don't know if we should go ahead and book or wait and hope that Delta matches. I don't know what the odds are on that. I feel very torn. I check first class prices and they haven't changed, mores the pity, but for that money I could book three econo seats like John and Kevin do, which may go some way towards helping the flight be less of a pain in the butt.
Something to consider, United (but not Continental just yet) offers "economy plus" seats which provide a little more legroom. (Continental is supposed to have this soon.) The added cost should not be as much as buying a third seat. For a transatlantic flight, I'll happily pay the extra cost.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #75
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran
 
stenogoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 1,981

I didn't know about the economy plus on those airlines, thanks, Jack. I know Delta has it.

Here's why booking airfare is annoying. At Travelocity when I put in that I was looking for one seat I got one set of results, when I put in that I wanted three seats I got totally different results. Cheaper too. Looking for three seats apparently United has a seat for $375, and the $500 seat flight I was looking at doesn't even show up in the matrix. I hate booking airfare!
__________________
stenogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: