Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Disney1992
Mouseketeer

Question Tipping, Not How Much, How and When

We will be starting our first ABD next weekend, Backstage Magic. I'm OK with the tipping amount, but I'm unsure on how and when you tip. Is it like a cruise where you get envelopes near the end of the trip? Should I bring notecards and place the tips in them. Do we give the tips at the last group dinner, breakfast before we leave? There's probably no wrong way to do it, but I'd figure I asked to see what others have done.

Next week can't get here quick enough. Not only is it our first ABD, it's also our first trip to CA.

Thank You!
Disney1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

On the first day of your trip you receive a "storybook" that has the daily itinerary. The tip envelopes are stapled inside the back cover of the storybook. You can put your tips in the envelope, or bring your own card if you like. I know some people like to bring their own for a more personal touch, but I've never seen anyone on our trips who did. I've always given the guides their tips at the farewell dinner, and I've noticed others doing the same, but I'm not sure if everyone does. For us, a big hug always accompanies the tip. You'll probably be surprised how attached you'll become to your guides.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
ssnelle
Love Disney

They really appreciate it, and work hard for it. Have fun! Wish I was going...
ssnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I hate the tip envelopes, so I bring note cards with me, I like writting a little note to the guides and it is more personal that way. On my three trips most people gave the guides the envelopes at the end of the farewell dinner. While you will see the guides the last morning before you leave it is a bit hectic getting ready to leave, it is just easier to give the envelope at the farewell dinner
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

This year was the first year I remembered to bring Thank You cards, and I really like doing it that way vs using the envelopes. I just found it more personal. I've always given them to the Guides at the end of the Farewell Dinner. It just seemed appropriate. And as Bobo912 says, it's always accompanied by a huge hug. They totally deserve every dime of it and more!

Have a FABULOUS TRIP!!!!!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I hate the tip envelopes, so I bring note cards with me, I like writting a little note to the guides and it is more personal that way. On my three trips most people gave the guides the envelopes at the end of the farewell dinner. While you will see the guides the last morning before you leave it is a bit hectic getting ready to leave, it is just easier to give the envelope at the farewell dinner
We do this too- but with a twist: we bring note cards that show some fauna or landscape from our area. It was fun in Africa to give our guides who had never been to the States a card with animals as unusual to them as an elephant is to us! I always write something personal about a specific time when the guides assistance or knowledge really made our trip special.
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Disney1992
Mouseketeer

Thank You!

Thanks everyone! It looks like the last dinner is the way to go. I'll bring notecards along just in case we want to be a little more personal in our "thanks".
Disney1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: