Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #61
Wolfie68
Mouseketeer

We went to the world last christmas, and after reading a bunch of stuff on the DIS boards, I made a bunch of the "thank you" mint covers and cards for the cast members. We all loved handing them out to the cast members who loved getting them, but the best thing was about halfway thru the trip, my 9 yr old niece decided she wanted to do the "thanking" so she would keep her eyes peeled and find cast members who looked like they needed encouragement, and take them a mint or card and the looks on their faces was priceless! It was such an amazing feeling to be able to bless those that work so hard to make us have a great day!

We are going back in 47 days, and not only will I take the thank you cards again, but thanks for the fast pass idea, i will be giving those away as well!!
Wolfie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #62
TheHundredth
Mouseketeer

back in '04 (my first memorably big trip) i was 10 and i was obsessed with stitch. i had around 18 stitch pins on a lanyard and was in our resorts gift shop. well a CM approached me and asked about all the pins. I asked about a stitch pin she had that I had never seen. She explained that it was a pin that only disney cast members were allowed to have. In much disdain about not being able to trade for it i hung my head and said goodbye. but as I was walking away she asked where her newst cast member was going and GAVE me the pin. and a badge that said honorary cast member
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #63
sp0ngem0nkey
♪ I'm wishing for the one I love... and now I have 3 loves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHundredth View Post
back in '04 (my first memorably big trip) i was 10 and i was obsessed with stitch. i had around 18 stitch pins on a lanyard and was in our resorts gift shop. well a CM approached me and asked about all the pins. I asked about a stitch pin she had that I had never seen. She explained that it was a pin that only disney cast members were allowed to have. In much disdain about not being able to trade for it i hung my head and said goodbye. but as I was walking away she asked where her newst cast member was going and GAVE me the pin. and a badge that said honorary cast member
wow, that was saweeet! I love stitchie, too!
2011 Wilderness Lodge: me DH DD4DS4
2013 First Timers @ Disneyland: MNSSH Family Reunion
sp0ngem0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #64
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie68 View Post
We went to the world last christmas, and after reading a bunch of stuff on the DIS boards, I made a bunch of the "thank you" mint covers and cards for the cast members. We all loved handing them out to the cast members who loved getting them, but the best thing was about halfway thru the trip, my 9 yr old niece decided she wanted to do the "thanking" so she would keep her eyes peeled and find cast members who looked like they needed encouragement, and take them a mint or card and the looks on their faces was priceless! It was such an amazing feeling to be able to bless those that work so hard to make us have a great day!

We are going back in 47 days, and not only will I take the thank you cards again, but thanks for the fast pass idea, i will be giving those away as well!!
Awesome!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #65
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

I love reading all the lovely stories. We've had a few random acts of kindness from CM during our trips, but never from other people like I've read on here...so...we've decided to give our own acts of kindness!

So today, I bought 100 glow sticks and glow stick bracelets to take with us to give to kids during our trip!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #66
Vivianne
Close enough to enjoy what Mass has to offer
I'm ready for a PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie68 View Post

Sweet! Good for you for being so considerate...
Vivianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #67
DisneylandDeeDee
Mouseketeer

There is magic to be made at the Disney Parks. Last May my daughter and I were at Disneyland. I had an "inconvenience card" which a cast member gave us 10 years ago when we were "walked off" Thunder Mountain due to a breakdown. Our thought was 10 years later the pass was probably useless. Nevertheless, we went to guest services and the nice CM at the desk gave us a card which entitled 6 people to walk up the exit and board any attraction of choice. We decided on The Matterhorn and walked along the line that extended around the mountain, to find a family of four to join us. We found grandparents with their grandsons and the look of bewilderment on their faces was priceless when we asked them to join us. After convincing them that this was legit, we had a nice conversation on our way to the front of the queue. It turned out that they were from the same town in Northern California that we are from and live about 1/2 mile from us. Every year they take their grandchildren to Disneyland. It was so nice to connect with a family from our hometown due to serendipity and Disney magic.

DisneylandDeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #68
ilovejsparrow
Working on my degree so I can support my WDW obsession!

I love being able to pass on some Disney magic! Last week my group picked up FPs for Soarin', but 2 weren't used because my mom wasn't feeling well. I was going to ride it again with my DBF, but I saw a couple with honeymoon pins on standing in front of the standby entrance, apparently debating if they wanted to wait the 70 minutes for it. I offered them my FP, and they were so happy, they hugged me! Nothing too special, it just made me feel good to pass on a little pixie dust.
WDW Commando Member #165

ilovejsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #69
keltic
Mouseketeer

We made thank you cards for castmembers, too. There was a place for the date, time and reason. We handed out several of them and it was very nice to see how much the castmembers really appreciated them. One of our cards went (along with a nice tip) to the castmember who helped us with our luggage to our room at Saratoga Springs upon arrival. It was pouring rain. He made sure to keep us and our luggage dry and made fast friends with my son. Another card went to a castmember at Cosmic Rays. When we gave her the card, she literally skipped over to a fellow castmate just beaming. It felt great to know that we could bring a little of that Pixie Dust to Disney ourselves.
keltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #70
MouseEarsForAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltic View Post
We made thank you cards for castmembers, too. There was a place for the date, time and reason. We handed out several of them and it was very nice to see how much the castmembers really appreciated them. One of our cards went (along with a nice tip) to the castmember who helped us with our luggage to our room at Saratoga Springs upon arrival. It was pouring rain. He made sure to keep us and our luggage dry and made fast friends with my son. Another card went to a castmember at Cosmic Rays. When we gave her the card, she literally skipped over to a fellow castmate just beaming. It felt great to know that we could bring a little of that Pixie Dust to Disney ourselves.
It's so nice for Cast Members to get their due recognition! To honor them, I will always write 'Cast Member', not 'CM' now.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #71
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

A couple of years ago, we were staying at AKL and eating b'fast at the Mara. I started talking to grandma that was there w/ her DD, DSIL and DGD. The grandma made the comment that Mara was the only restaurant they would get to eat at. I questioned her about her statement and she explained that her DSIL did not like Boma, so that just left Mara. This was the beginning of their trip and they were on the dining plan.

I quickly educated her about how the dining plan worked, about ADRs and about all the other restaurants they could choose from. I suggested that she go to the concierge desk and let them help her get some ADRs.

We saw this same family that evening at WCC and she kept thanking me over and over again for saving their vacation.

BTW, I also give out FPs and glow sticks.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #72
MouseEarsForAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarker View Post
A couple of years ago, we were staying at AKL and eating b'fast at the Mara. I started talking to grandma that was there w/ her DD, DSIL and DGD. The grandma made the comment that Mara was the only restaurant they would get to eat at. I questioned her about her statement and she explained that her DSIL did not like Boma, so that just left Mara. This was the beginning of their trip and they were on the dining plan.

I quickly educated her about how the dining plan worked, about ADRs and about all the other restaurants they could choose from. I suggested that she go to the concierge desk and let them help her get some ADRs.

We saw this same family that evening at WCC and she kept thanking me over and over again for saving their vacation.

BTW, I also give out FPs and glow sticks.
Nice story! Could you maybe hook me up with some FP's??? Just kidding, only kidding!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #73
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

I just returned from 3 wonderful days and we had several pixie dust moments ! First was when a CM walked through the Fantasmic! line we were waiting in and said to DD(4) "Can I have some of that lolipop?" It was one of those big unicorn ones and DD was loving it. The CM was surprised when DD held it out to her. So, the CM takes off a Pooh pin and hands it to DD. So sweet! I think that rubbed off on DD because the next day I had bought her a package of those silicon character bracelets and she proceeded to give them out to kids she met standing in line. Some of the parents seemed wary, but I was proud of DD for wanting to share.

Two other very nice things happened to us. A CM at Cape May cafe overheard DD saying she loved Minnie, Donald, & Goofy, so he handed her a card signed by all of them as we were leaving. So nice! And finally, another CM heard me telling DD that she was going to have to choose between Pooh and BTMR because we needed to leave soon. The CM handed us 2 fastpasses so she could go on both. DD was so happy she hugged the CM! Anyway, the magic was definitely there for us!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #74
robinc71
Mouseketeer

Loving all the stories!
Brings tears to my eyes!
Kindness breeds kindness in my eyes
Can hardly wait to be there!
94 days to go!
We will be stocking up on Glow bracelets and temp. Disney Tatoos as DD 11 loves to give them out to other kids.
I'm thinking of making CM appreciation cards too!

2010 June Pop Century; 2008 September Pop Century; 2007 April Pop Century; 2001 November All Star Movies; 1997 November All Star Music; 1994 November All Star Sports
robinc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #75
MouseEarsForAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinc71 View Post
Loving all the stories!
Brings tears to my eyes!
Kindness breeds kindness in my eyes
Can hardly wait to be there!
94 days to go!
We will be stocking up on Glow bracelets and temp. Disney Tatoos as DD 11 loves to give them out to other kids.
I'm thinking of making CM appreciation cards too!
I love the DIS!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: