Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #31
BeachClubBaby
Earning My Ears

It was the second last day of my friends and my year long programme and we were checking in for an overnight stay in ASMovies before catching late flights back to the UK the next day. We got chatting to the lovely CM checking us in and he was asking what we were planning during our stay, we replied that we were meeting friends that evening and then just waiting about for the ME to the airport the next day. He smiled and listened while we gushed about how much we had enjoyed our stay and how sad we were to be going home. Just as we were finished checking in he asked us to hang on a second, disappeared out back and returned giving each of us a free parkhopper pass for the next day, his reasoning "everyone should have a great last day in Disney World". After spending a year creating magical moments it was a brilliant end to our trip thank you to that wonderful CM.
BeachClubBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #32
reeveha
Mouseketeer

Passing on the Magic

Several years ago, my DW and I were on a "GOLD Plan" and were spending our last hours at WDW eating Lunch at Prime Time. We were sitting at our table finishing our deserts when a group of 6-7 people (mostly teens with one adult), who just gotten back from some missionary work in the Caribbean, were seated at a table adjacent to us.

They started looking at the menu and started talking about how expensive the food was and what items they could "share"(French Fries, Onion Ring, Malts, etc).

We had several meal points left (enough to cover all), so we asked our server if we could "buy" meals for them. Our server brought the manager over and we quietly hatched our plan.

Just as the group had decided to leave to go to McDonalds for some hamburgers, the manager went over and told them that they each could order any meal with appetizer and desert because an anonymous benefactor had just bought their meals. They didn't believe him, but he assured them that it was true.

We stayed for a while watching the excitement as this group ordered and ate their meal. It was very fulfilling to watch the Disney Magic at work.

1995-Dixie Landings,1998-Dixie Landings,2002-Animal Kingdom,2003-Polynesian,2004-OffSite,2006-Animal Kingdom,2008-Beach Club-MouseFest, 2009-All-Star Music Christmas

Last edited by reeveha; 10-17-2011 at 01:10 PM.
reeveha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #33
crain
Earning My Ears

Nothing too crazy, but at Epcot a few weeks ago, my husband and I had just arrived around 2pm for the day. A family was leaving and gifted us with Fastpasses to Test Track. We never would have waited in line for it, so we were thrilled. It was something so simple, but really made us smile.
crain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #34
sara_serendipity88
Disney Princess

When I was about twelve years old (I'm 20 now), my family and I were leaving for Disney. My friend asked me to trade a pin for her, since she wouldn't be going for another year. Since I was (and still am) an avid pin trader, I was happy to trade for her.

About halfway through the trip, while we were in Animal Kingdom eating at Pizzafari, I saw a janitor who had the PERFECT pin for my friend. When I asked him to trade, I told him how much my friend would love the hippo from Fantasia pin he had. He asked me if I was trading for my friend, to which I replied yes, and he told me and my family to wait at our table for a moment. I was confused and scared (Was a breaking a pin-trading rule by trading for my friend?!), but moments later he came out accompanied by three other CM's, one of which was holding an entire lanyard full of pins. They presented me with a certificate for "Being a Great Disney Friend" and told me I was being awarded an entire lanyard of special pins that you can only get by trading with a cast member! They took a photo with me and everything. It is one of my most treasured memories.

I felt so special. Even as a kid, I never thought something like that would happen to me. Talk about Disney magic!!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
scion5220
DIS Veteran

I was just at DHS on Saturday with my sister and 4 y.o. niece and we were eating a late lunch at the Sci Fi Dine-in Theater...at the end of our meal our waiter came to the table with a bag and gave us all glow in the dark cups with the restaurant logo that were filled with caramel corn! So nice!

And then when we left to go ride TSMM we realized standing in line that we left my nieces Halloween Kids Races mouse ears hat at the restaurant! Luckily when we got off the ride and went back to the restaurant they were waiting for us at the check in podium. Whew!

I have also given away fast passes and when I used to work for the studios in CA I had a pass that allowed me to take three people into the parks with me for free. So if I went to Disneyland by myself to do some shopping or something I would sometimes try to find people in the ticket line and take them in for free with me. I always figured people were usually gonna spend a set amount of money anyway and now they would spend it inside the park.
scion5220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #36
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

We were at MNSSHP on 9/27, it was crazy crowded and 30 minutes before the parade we couldn't find a front row spot in Frontierland/Liberty Square, so I settled for a spot behind a short kid who looked to be about 7-8 years old and was short enough for me to easily see over. I sat down my candy bags and he kept eyeing them, I said you can have a piece if it's ok with your dad (I could see he had his own candy bag on the stroller but I remembr being a kid, it's cooler if it's from someone else's stash). So his dad said yes and he started happily rummaging thru my bag for a few minutes then he found what he wanted and started eating it. A few minutes later he got up and said here you can scoot up and have my spot and I will sit in front of dad's feet so we can both see. I could have cried it was soooo sweet, he was a little magic maker in the making.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
LSUDisneyfan
Earning My Ears

We were in AK back in May. My 2 DS's were playing the games in Dinoland, my oldest won a game so he gets his prize. So you all know whats coming next, the younger one has to win or there will be no one happy!!! We go to the horse race game and about to start with just them so we are good, either way we get a second prize as they are good about sharing. Well a lady shows up to play and already has a couple of prizes. DW and i kind look at one another like crap there go our plans!! And of course lady wins, try as hard as i could to beat her, she was just luckier. As we get up to walk away the CM slides a prize down to us which made little DS very happy!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #38
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

I have two stories from our last trip...

1) It was the day after we got married and we went to DHS the first thing we did was head over to TSM to get some fast passes, as soon as we got them a CM saw our Just Married buttons and gave us 2 fast passes to use that very minute and on our way to Star Tours a nice lady gave us two more fast passes for TSM as they were leaving and didn't need them.

2) We were in the Magic Kingdom with my Inlaws and we'd just come off a ride (Pirates I think?) and behind us was a little boy dressed as a skeleton pirate. He looked so cool in costume that we complimented him, he responded by waving his gun at us and held us to 'ransom' . We were all like 'oh no! Don't shoot! Don't shoot' and he grinned and said 'I don't want your money, I want your gold'. MIL gave the little lad some spare change and he ran off in delight.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #39
jaysaint
Earning My Ears

We've had so many lovely experiences at Disney.

Last year we were staying at the Beach Club. We just come into the lobby from the boardwalk when I looked into the stroller and say my one-year-old was down one shoe. I filled out a little lost property card, and then asked the woman behind the desk where I could buy kid Crocs. She took me to the shop and told me to pick a pair, on her. She said she wanted our day to have a happy start. How kind!

A few years ago I brought my husband for his first visit. We didn't really know how to work the system, and so we didn't get to ride a lot of rides. We were at Epcot and I was disappointed he hadn't gotten to ride Soarin. As we were walking out of the park just before closing time I saw a Fast Pass for Soarin just laying on a bench. I was so happy to give it to my husband. It really made my night. I still appreciate that kind soul who left it there.

I'm actually typing this from Disney right now, sitting with my son while he naps in our room. We have an extra ticket for the Halloween party this week and I'm very much looking forward to handing it to someone in the ticket line when we go.
jaysaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #40
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

And people wonder why we (as my signature says) luvgoing2Disney. Just read some of these stories and you can understand the magic that happens there every day.

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #41
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops&dreams View Post
Departure –
When we were leaving, I was following through on a tip that I had read before I left (on some other site, because I didn’t find DIS until after I came back). I asked our concierge to sign a postcard from Mickey, and he said he couldn’t do that. He said he WOULD take it to get it signed by Mickey though, and drop it in the mail for me. So… about 2 weeks after we got home, DD got a postcard in the mail from not only “Mickey” , but Minnie also! (although it was addressed in my handwriting, but she didn’t notice!) . 2 weeks after that, we got a package in the mail as we were leaving town to visit DH’s terminally ill grandpa, who we were all very close with, in a far-away hospital. We grabbed the mail as we were pulling out of the driveway, and in it, there was a package addressed to “the Smith* Family” with a return address of Disney. I let DD open it, and inside was a note from that Concierge CM who got the postcard signed by Mickey. (I recognized the handwriting). The note was attached to an autograph book, and there was a large photo in the back of Minnie and Mickey with DD’s post card. The note said something like “The boss sent me to put your postcard in the mail, and I ran into some friends along the way and they wanted to say hi too! Thought you might enjoy it. From your Special Disney Pal” Inside the Autograph book, every single page was signed, some 2-4 per page!!! What an AWESOME surprise. It really brought the magic to a day that was already doomed to be emotionally tough and gloomy. She showed her Great Grandpa that book and was SO excited to tell him about all the characters. (oh, now I’m crying because I miss Great Grandpa!)
All of these stories are great. I'm always amazed when I go to Disney by the out of this world Customer Service. I try to emulate it, but I just can't seem to. This story had me in tears...I don't know if it's 'cause the one about the lady and her niece with cancer already had me primed or what, but by the time I got to yours I was crying about just how wonderful everyone at Disney is. Okay, so off to work and I'll try to make somebody's day!
ASMu 2009
MK2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #42
Dan Murphy
We are family.

These stories are wonderful. I always enjoy threads like these, they really demonstrate what the Disney 'thing' is all about.

I have shared this a number of times here over the years. From a trip report I originally posted here in late 1999 following our family's first trip to WDW.

The trip was going to be a celebration of life, my wife had just just entered remission from Stage III breast cancer. The family was going to celebrate at Disney World, our first family trip there. This is a quote from the trip report.

Quote:
Over the past year, various CM's at CRO have taken copious notes from me as I called periodically to "get a better deal", ask questions, etc. They have gotten to know me over the year, as they do put a lot of conversation notes in their computer system. Each time I called, they would usually say, "Let me read your notes", and then ask how they could help me. As we talked, they, also, would add new notes.

I finally had what I thought was a good package of price and tickets for a 7-night/8 day stay. However I was constantly trying to get a lagoon view for a truly memorable trip for all the family; but was not successful with that last piece, (lagoon view). It was not available with the package I had booked and the difference between the package's garden view and a non-discounted lagoon view was just a lot. I was willing to pay more but the rooms weren't available at any price.

On a call about 2 weeks ago to CRO to try again, (we all know to keep trying), I talked to CM "Xenia". She asked me to wait a minute while she read my "case". She let out a sigh and said, "My, you have been through a lot". And then, "How may I help you tonight?" I told her my request, (lagoon view, and, if available, I can pay more, but hopefully not too much more). She initially responded, "I don't think so." But a moment later, before I could respond to yet another turn down, she said, "Let me go check a few things. Can you wait a couple minutes?" I said, "Sure". Well, about 5-7 long minutes later she comes back and says, "Are you still there?" I said, "Yes". She went on, "Tinkerbell just flew by and sprinkled some pixie dust--you and your family have their lagoon view room". I was so pleased, I was ecstatic. I thanked her abundantly, and then asked her the damages, (increase in price). She said, "Tink said-same price, no increase". I was staggered and it took me a minute or so of tears in my eyes with accompanying silence to speak to "Xenia". During my silence, she said, "I know you've been through a lot and when we can help people, we love to do it; you deserve it".

Well, we are <90 days to go. I am so happy for my family and hope so much they will enjoy, (kids being older and such).

My thanks to "Xenia" and the magic that Walt brought to us all and continues on in many CM's

Thank you, Xenia!”
When we did finally get there, to the Polynesian, at check in we were further upgraded to concierge. So concierge, lagoon view. It was a magical trip. And my wife is now 13 years in remission.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #43
Anniefrances
Mouseketeer

I posted this about 1.5 yr ago on another thread. I still start crying when I think back to that trip....

My sons and I were SHOWERED with pixie dust last summer when we were checking into CR.

On the drive to FL (we live a couple of states away), I debated about upgrading to a tower room (I had booked garden wing, which already was a big budget stretch--previous visits had always been at Pop, which I love, but didn't think I could handle with 2 young children and a double stroller). Anyway, as we pulled into town, I finally decided to spend the extra $$ but when I asked if it was possible to change, the CM said there were no more rooms left in the tower. No problem, I said, being here is wonderful no matter what!

She continued processing our check in and said she saw a note that we were there to celebrate a "personal milestone" and asked if I minded her asking what it was.

I told her that it was very simple: we (my then 4 and 6 year old sons and myself) were there to celebrate being a family (I'm starting to cry as I type this) as I had just undergone chemo, surgery, and radiation over the past year and a half and Disney was at the top of all of our lists for things to do when I got better. She excused herself for a moment, and came back with a big smile and informed me that she spoke to her manager and that there was a tower room for us--on club level (and for no additional charge).

I couldn't stop crying at that point as I stumbled for words to tell her how much I appreciated this. On top of the cancer, their father and I had separated just a month before the diagnosis (and I won't go into details because this is a family board, but suffice it say they saw him do things to me that resulted in my calling 911 and running out of the house with my younger child in my arms). To say it had been a difficult and horrendous year and a half is an understatement, and I had been saving as much money as I could dreaming about this trip with my children.

The cast member very discreetly spoke to the concierge staff, who were intent on doing something magical each day for my children. For example, one morning they sent us to Chef Mickey for breakfast (I didn't even know what this was until we arrived) and this was such a special treat! My older son has Asperger's so we enjoyed the characters from a distance (watching them visit other diners' tables). When the concierge heard about this, the next day when we came back to the room, there were autographed photos from their favorite characters. Another night, there were balloon bouquets and stickers for them, and our last night there was a Princess and the Frog DVD to take home. And with the money that I saved in meals, I was able to splurge a little and buy things like stuffed animals at AK and those whirly light toys at MK (the cast member who checked us in, Lisa, explained the amenities and explicitly encouraged me to have us eat breakfast and light dinner and to take waters and juices into the parks with us instead of spending so much money on food).

I am still overwhelmed with gratitude for Lisa who for whatever reason decided to ask what we were celebrating (and all the concierge staff who really went above and beyond to make this a magical experience for my children). I really was so happy just to be there that not being able to switch to a tower room was not a big deal. But Lisa and the others sure did turn it into one. I started a special Disney journal for the children so that when they are older they will understand just how special this trip was. Truly, it was the trip of a lifetime.
2001 offsite (shh! left a conference for the day to check it all out ), 2002 POR , 2003 Disneyland , 2004 BWI, cancelled--medical issues , 2005 Poly , 2007 POP , 2008 POP , 2009, POP , 2010 CR CL , 2011 WL , 2011 POP (short trip for G's birthday) , 2012 ASMo/CBR , 2013 AS Sp
Anniefrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #44
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniefrances View Post
I posted this about 1.5 yr ago on another thread. I still start crying when I think back to that trip....

My sons and I were SHOWERED with pixie dust last summer when we were checking into CR.

On the drive to FL (we live a couple of states away), I debated about upgrading to a tower room (I had booked garden wing, which already was a big budget stretch--previous visits had always been at Pop, which I love, but didn't think I could handle with 2 young children and a double stroller). Anyway, as we pulled into town, I finally decided to spend the extra $$ but when I asked if it was possible to change, the CM said there were no more rooms left in the tower. No problem, I said, being here is wonderful no matter what!

She continued processing our check in and said she saw a note that we were there to celebrate a "personal milestone" and asked if I minded her asking what it was.

I told her that it was very simple: we (my then 4 and 6 year old sons and myself) were there to celebrate being a family (I'm starting to cry as I type this) as I had just undergone chemo, surgery, and radiation over the past year and a half and Disney was at the top of all of our lists for things to do when I got better. She excused herself for a moment, and came back with a big smile and informed me that she spoke to her manager and that there was a tower room for us--on club level (and for no additional charge).

I couldn't stop crying at that point as I stumbled for words to tell her how much I appreciated this. On top of the cancer, their father and I had separated just a month before the diagnosis (and I won't go into details because this is a family board, but suffice it say they saw him do things to me that resulted in my calling 911 and running out of the house with my younger child in my arms). To say it had been a difficult and horrendous year and a half is an understatement, and I had been saving as much money as I could dreaming about this trip with my children.

The cast member very discreetly spoke to the concierge staff, who were intent on doing something magical each day for my children. For example, one morning they sent us to Chef Mickey for breakfast (I didn't even know what this was until we arrived) and this was such a special treat! My older son has Asperger's so we enjoyed the characters from a distance (watching them visit other diners' tables). When the concierge heard about this, the next day when we came back to the room, there were autographed photos from their favorite characters. Another night, there were balloon bouquets and stickers for them, and our last night there was a Princess and the Frog DVD to take home. And with the money that I saved in meals, I was able to splurge a little and buy things like stuffed animals at AK and those whirly light toys at MK (the cast member who checked us in, Lisa, explained the amenities and explicitly encouraged me to have us eat breakfast and light dinner and to take waters and juices into the parks with us instead of spending so much money on food).

I am still overwhelmed with gratitude for Lisa who for whatever reason decided to ask what we were celebrating (and all the concierge staff who really went above and beyond to make this a magical experience for my children). I really was so happy just to be there that not being able to switch to a tower room was not a big deal. But Lisa and the others sure did turn it into one. I started a special Disney journal for the children so that when they are older they will understand just how special this trip was. Truly, it was the trip of a lifetime.
Great stories, but yours brought me to tears. What an amazing trip for your children...well, for all of you.

DCL: Fantasy: December 2014 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #45
FirstTripEver
Mouseketeer

My Grandma always taught me that it is more important TO GIVE, than to receive.....

We challenged our daughters (4 and 8) to find ways to CREATE & SHARE their OWN pixie dust during our trip!

So, we made it a point to GET & GIVE AWAY as many fastpasses as we could! The recipient's faces were priceless!

We purchased & surprised the people behind us with DOLE WHIPS! And they paid it forward!

We also stockpiled glowsticks from the Dollar Store and we must have given away dozens of them while we were all sitting on the curbs waiting for the Electrical Parade to begin.

Honestly, the greatest highlights from our trip were the reactions and joy of surprising other people! Try it! The smallest things make a difference
FirstTripEver is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: