Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags
Beware the Tails of Doom!
I couldn't believe the weeny little turkey!

Post Cigna v. United Health Care

We have to chose a new health insurance provider and our only choices are Cigna and UHC. They are the same cost and our doc is in the network for both.

Does anyone have any experience with either, good or bad? I am going to call our Doc's office too but it is always good to get info from the consumer's point of view.

Thanks!
mrsv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

We had United through DH's previous employer and have Cigna through his current employer. I don't have any gripes with either, but I don't have a choice in the matter so I don't know what the differences are, if any. Both have worked fine for us.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
We had United through DH's previous employer and have Cigna through his current employer. I don't have any gripes with either, but I don't have a choice in the matter so I don't know what the differences are, if any. Both have worked fine for us.
Um thanks, you were no help at all!!!

Really, I can't find a huge difference, that is why I have been looking for opinions.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

We've had UHC for years and I've been very happy with them. No billing issues and plenty of Drs. in the network.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville, Reeking Lumstown, Older than Dirtboro, Only post the good ones, USA

We also used to save United, DH's employer switched to Cigna. I have no problem with Cigna, we pay more to have the plan where you can go to any doctor, it's not the HMO.

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsv98 View Post
We have to chose a new health insurance provider and our only choices are Cigna and UHC. They are the same cost and our doc is in the network for both.

Does anyone have any experience with either, good or bad? I am going to call our Doc's office too but it is always good to get info from the consumer's point of view.

Thanks!
I've worked in health insurnce for 17 years now. In my experience, except in RI the plan management is essentially the same (in RI they are worlds apart) so, I'd suggest looking at the nitty gritty of the plans then. Not just the weekly cost for the plans but what are the co-pays, do they cover the drugs you use the same (I guarantee you not all are covered the same it's just whether the ones you use are the same), how do the drug, hospital & ER co-pays compare, is UC covered, are the overall OOP maximums the same, are the items excluded from OOP maximum the same, etc.?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
novajeanjellybean
One day my prince will come........

Quote:

Thanks!
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the thread.... I believe I work for the same company and didnt even think to post a thread...duh lol
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajeanjellybean View Post
Just wanted to say that I appreciate the thread.... I believe I work for the same company and didnt even think to post a thread...duh lol
Can you figure out the whole MRA thing? Supposedly this is a better system but trying to figure it out will send me to the hospital!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

We used to have UHC, now we have Cigna. Both are fine and never had a problem with either. Sorry wish I could be of more help!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Quote:

Thanks!

UHC

Ive been in CIGNA and dealt with them as an agent as well and I have never had a good experience with anything that has to do with claims. THe worst Customer Service in the Industry.
dngnb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
beachcomber
Mouseketeer

It's probably the lesser of two evils, right?

I've not had good experiences with UHC. Our prescription costs shot through the roof when our coverage was switched to them, and working with them was a pain...if you ever actually got a person. It was such a negative experience, corporate wide, that the company switched to a new provider mid-year (after only 8 months with UHC).
beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

We have iCgna, it was that or a hmo.

We had it for a whle and since then I have gotten cancer and I have to say they have really been good and have covered everything so far.

I only had one issue with them so far. That was they were not going to approve a biopsy and said it was out of network. They agreed that I had no choice in where the surgeon sent it so they processed it as in network and it didnt cost me anything, good as they are like over $3k each.

They also challenged one of my hospitalizations that was not related to the cancer. they said it should have been a day procedure but I was in the hosp. for 3 days, so the surgeon had to challenge it while I was there.

Some of the issues I have, and this might be depending upon what type of policy you have, what benefits you get etc.
They sent me a brochure about "end of life care and options". Hmm, I am not going anywhere. Then they kept trying to push a nurse case manager onto me. I told them no thanks, dont need one and I can manage my own care quite fine. Then they even had one of their nurses call me in the hospital. My son talked to them and I told them to tell them I am fine etc.

They also seem to push the mail order pharmacy stuff. They either send you letters or call you. I dont know how may times they do that. I guess they cant figure out that no means no.

Also if you get some type of injury or accident our policy has that another company will send you a letter asking the details. I try to give as few as possible. I know they want to know if homeowners, no fault etc. will cover it. Somehow my 3 ds always manage to break some bone doing something etc.

Our policy also has that they will send a letter to you and your dr if you are not filling your scripts properly. I guess they see our ds21 is not so diligent as he should be in taking his asthma meds. Its like they big brother you, but its for your good I guess.

Our friend also has cigna and her dd just had a heart transplant and 2 brain tumors out and they have no problems with them. I think all their stuff is covered too.

Best of luck deciding.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Don't have experience with Cigna but LOOOOOOVE United Healthcare. Great customer service and reasonable costs.
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Had United, have Cigna now, no difference.

Now, the Eye Plan linked with United was Eye Med, where as Cigna uses VSP. I would NEVER, EVER used Eye Med again, at least here, I live in a county with 1.4 million people, and there were 6 Optometrists and no opthamologits in my area. I must have a choice of 100 optometrists and opthamologits in my area that accept VSP.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags

Thanks for all the feedback. DH is going to a "learning session" tomorrow to get more info and I am going to call our doc's office to see if they have a preference. The prescriptions are handled differently and preventative generic 'scrips are free so the is good. Dental and eye care are separate and they mentioned something about those being looked at next year. Really, at this point I think we could throw a dart and be ok.

Thanks for the feedback!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: