Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #106
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

well today i am back to planning with a vengeance, and we've finally decided on dates - nov 23 to dec 13 so i will be on here a little more frequently with all my questions about flights/where to go/value for money etc.

last time we went in nov only and we were at disneyland nov 6-8 which made it a relatively non-busy time of the year and the weather, while rainy and cold on our first day, was fabulous on our second and third days.

this year, we'll be in california from dec 1 - dec 11, so i'm wondering for those that have been there at that time of year... what's it like?? should we be prepared for chilly nights and rain, or is it still nice, warm, temperate sunny weather??

also, crowds? are there likely to be huge crowds, especially at disneyland at that time?

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #107
DisneyGirlInOz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
We are arriving in NY on the morning of Thanksgiving, so we will miss the inflation night which I hear is good. Like you I don't want to see the whole parade just the balloons. We are catching the train from Washington early and planning on leaving our bags in storage at Penn Station and walking to Central Park. I won't walk too close to the parade route - I really want the view of the balloons in between the buildings. Then we are thinking of having Thanksgiving lunch at the Central Park Boathouse before making our way back to Penn Station to pick up our bags and go to our accommodation (which has check in after 3pm).

Sugarglider - welcome to the thread! Glad to see another Nov/Dec Aussie Diser!
'Opentable' is a great way to book the Boathouse (That's how we booked it) and many other restaurants. Just get in early for Thanksgiving bookings.
April 2011 - Disneyland @ Off Site
May 2011 - Disneyworld @ Contemporary
May 2011 - Disneyworld @ Boardwalk Inn & 7 weeks travelling around the USA

Planning for:
November 2012 - The obsession continues: Planning for Disneyworld

Disney: Been there, done that, going back!!
DisneyGirlInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #108
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
That seems like a very good price for from Canberra. Bummer about being stuck down the back of the plane but so long as you are on the plane I guess it's all good.

What are your dates again?
yes - I haven't been down the back of the plane since 2009! I feel a bit like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry has flown in first class and he can't go to coach!
And in 2009 I reserved a seat in one of the pairs right up the back - Row 72 but as I was boarding they called me over and said "we are moving you" and I ended up stuck in the middle seat
But I decided this trip will be cheaper and it will be character building for me.

So I am off 28 Nov - 10 Dec - straight into MCO and staying there the whole time.

Now waiting for Disney special - hoping for a room discount.

Quote:
Sugarglider - welcome to the thread! Glad to see another Nov/Dec Aussie Diser!
Hi dabecs - thanks for your cheers

There's a bunch of us - is this where we organise a meet up?

I am also going to meet other DISers from US and UK.
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #109
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlInOz View Post
'Opentable' is a great way to book the Boathouse (That's how we booked it) and many other restaurants. Just get in early for Thanksgiving bookings.
Thanks for the tip! Haven't heard of Opentable - just having a look now. I emailed the Boathouse and they said they open up Thanksgiving reservations about 2 months before..

Sugarglider - if a meet is organised I will do my best but being my first trip and taking parents and children with me I am not making any promises I will actually make it on the day

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #110
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Dabecs - since you started this thread, do you think you could add everyone's dates to the first post so we can see who is going where and when? That would be wonderful.

My dates are 9 Dec-13 Jan US/Canada, in WDW 9-20th Dec.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #111
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
well today i am back to planning with a vengeance, and we've finally decided on dates - nov 23 to dec 13 so i will be on here a little more frequently with all my questions about flights/where to go/value for money etc.

last time we went in nov only and we were at disneyland nov 6-8 which made it a relatively non-busy time of the year and the weather, while rainy and cold on our first day, was fabulous on our second and third days.

this year, we'll be in california from dec 1 - dec 11, so i'm wondering for those that have been there at that time of year... what's it like?? should we be prepared for
chilly nights YES
and rain YES ,
or is it still nice YES
warm, YES
temperate sunny weather?? and YES

also, crowds? are there likely to be huge crowds, especially at disneyland at that time?
crowds in early December are not bad at all. They start to get really busy the week before Christmas, we noticed a big change from week to week when we went for December last time. Also I would avoid the weekends if you can or get in early. Two of our weekends, we didn't go, but on returning from our day tours there were signs everywhere about Disney being at capacity. Now as there are many levels of capacity entry, I'm not sure if it was closed completely or at one of the lower levels.

Weather, oh the weather! Well the day we arrived last trip for example (in early December) it was 4 degrees and was a top of 12. It was freezing and like that on and off for about 10 days, then for about a week, it was warm. We had days where it was wet and absolutely freezing and required coat, gloves, then we had days where we could wear a light top, as it was about 24, but when the sun would go down late afternoon it would quickly become chilly again. I guess it is sort of like our SE Qld weather in winter. Can be really pleasant on a sunny day with very mild temps or it can be freezing. It is usually cool in the evenings, early mornings and late afternoons. Be prepared for anything weather wise.
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #112
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Dabecs - since you started this thread, do you think you could add everyone's dates to the first post so we can see who is going where and when? That would be wonderful.

My dates are 9 Dec-13 Jan US/Canada, in WDW 9-20th Dec.
I've added a roll call to the original post Once you have decided on resort/s let me know and I'll add that too!

Can everyone else on this thread please post your dates so I can copy and paste them in the OP. I am going for the format

Disname: total holiday dates, where, in WDW/DL dates (resort)

eg (for me) Dabecs: 2/11 - 29/11 USA, in WDW 2nd - 18th November (saratoga Springs)

Thanks!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #113
shushh
DIS Veteran

I know I've been AWOL for a while. But please put my dates in...Dec 7 - Jan 23 Europe, DLP Dec 10-12
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #114
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
I know I've been AWOL for a while. But please put my dates in...Dec 7 - Jan 23 Europe, DLP Dec 10-12
added

Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #115
Luisa
Mouseketeer

Nothing booked yet, but dates worked out- just waiting for the right airfare! Travelling solo 4-18 Dec, 4th & 5th at DL, then Boston, New York and Philadelphia and finishing in WDW 14th to 18th. Will probably stay at Pop again but the new AoA resort is tempting too.
Luisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #116
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Nothing booked yet, but dates worked out- just waiting for the right airfare! Travelling solo 4-18 Dec, 4th & 5th at DL, then Boston, New York and Philadelphia and finishing in WDW 14th to 18th. Will probably stay at Pop again but the new AoA resort is tempting too.
added

Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #117
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Can't wait to hear more about the wonderful things you will be seeing and doing. It's bound to be filled with lots of lovely things and ideas I would like to steal for my own holiday .

Quote:
I've added a roll call to the original post Once you have decided on resort/s let me know and I'll add that too!

Can everyone else on this thread please post your dates so I can copy and paste them in the OP. I am going for the format

Disname: total holiday dates, where, in WDW/DL dates (resort)

eg (for me) Dabecs: 2/11 - 29/11 USA, in WDW 2nd - 18th November (saratoga Springs)

Thanks!
Thanks for doing this Dabecs. I will let you know my resorts once they are confirmed and like Luisa, we haven't booked flights yet but that will be coming soon but I'm fairly certain our dates are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Have you decided where you are staying in Boston and New York? So many gorgeous options.

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #118
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

We've just booked flights!!!! So it's all happening. We were really wondering if we should cancel the whole trip as we're both looking for new jobs but ... nope, it's all locked in now and come hell or high water, we are going!!!

We're flying with Delta (Virgin Australia code share) and got a fantastic deal. We are flying to LA, three hour layover, then to NY for a week before heading to Disney World for 8 days, and then Disneyland for 4 days. The return flights including the connecting NY flight cost us $1300. We had to snap them up! I got a quote the day before for $1800 - thought I could do better, and then went in the following day because I saw a flash sale on the website. They beat the price and now I'm a happy little prince.

Here's to Disney in NOV!
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #119
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort View Post
We've just booked flights!!!! So it's all happening. We were really wondering if we should cancel the whole trip as we're both looking for new jobs but ... nope, it's all locked in now and come hell or high water, we are going!!!

We're flying with Delta (Virgin Australia code share) and got a fantastic deal. We are flying to LA, three hour layover, then to NY for a week before heading to Disney World for 8 days, and then Disneyland for 4 days. The return flights including the connecting NY flight cost us $1300. We had to snap them up! I got a quote the day before for $1800 - thought I could do better, and then went in the following day because I saw a flash sale on the website. They beat the price and now I'm a happy little prince.

Here's to Disney in NOV!
Oh wow, that is an AMAZING saving by just waiting a day. Well done.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #120
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Oh wow, that is an AMAZING saving by just waiting a day. Well done.

Thanks Ms. Shuttergirl. I learned from booking a trip last year that when travel agents say "you should book now as they're unlikely to get much cheaper", to take that with a grain of salt.
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: