Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #76
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu83 View Post
Hi and welcome to the boards!

I completely agree about the lack of an online Disney Store. I was thinking about buying a pair of earrings from the US store the other day (they must weight what, about 10 grams?) The earrings cost $15 and postage was $39!! Crazy!!
Thanks Lulu83.

The postage in the States has certainly gone up. There's almost no point anymore! I feel your pain.
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
MLlige
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Welcome to the boards too.
Thanks for the info and the welcome!
MLlige is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #78
MLlige
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort View Post
I'm a newbie so hi everyone!

Last year we experienced Disneyland Paris at Christmas time and it was a very moving experience. The European flavour was enchanting and it just looked incredibly beautiful. Not to mention we were able to walk on to every ride and were only one of a handful of people on Dumbo in the morning.

Hi Royal Consort! Welcome. I'm pretty new here myself.

I haven't been to any other Disney parks apart from the US ones because I didn't think that they'd have the same feel, but from what you say, the Paris park sounds good. The Americans definitely have a flair for putting on a great American style show, and Disney excels in that. The French are absolutely fantastic with culturally-rich spectacles, but trying to do the Disney thing seems out of context. What made it enchanting and moving?

Last edited by MLlige; 02-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #79
MLlige
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
I'm not Sue but I can answer your questions. The Happy Haunts tour I believe is for the Halloween season. If you are going in December, you will be in the Christmas season. There is a tour for that season, it's the Holiday Tour. We have done this and it's great, we will do it again if we go back this year as it was a fun/interesting tour. It is a DL park and a guide takes you around the park showing you many of the holiday traditions and you have a ride on the Haunted Mansion, then you go to Toon Town and you get a really cute mug with hot chocolate and a gingerbread man, you then head over to some private reserved seating for the parade.

The Fantasmic dinner package is at WDW. At DL they have the Fantasmic Dessert Package. You prepurchase tickets to the event, then earlier in the day/afternoon, you have to go and line up (get there early) and register and choose your seats (the reason to get there early). Then you return at before Fantasmic starts to your assigned seats and you are given hot chocolate and a dessert container. It's good to stick around after to watch the fireworks as it's great viewing from there too. They also have a similar package available for World of Colour at DCA park The packages are well worth it
If you have any allergies, you just tell them and I was really lucky, I got the platter below and another whole platter with fruit in it. It was so much food I ended up sharing my fruit platter with the whole little seating area we were in.
Yum! Dinner is good, but dessert is my favourite part!

You're a fount of knowledge! Thanks for the info! It's hard to look at your tempting pictures and descriptions of fun times at 5:30am (tummy's rumbling) then drag myself off to work. It's just nice to immerse myself in other people's experiences of Disney parks. DW & DD (I can use them now that you taught me!) are looking over my shoulder at the photos. DD likes them, and DW smiles sadly at me.

I haven't even had enough time to check the other posts out yet. Oh well... maybe on the weekend, but for now it's hi ho hi ho, it's off to work we go!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #80
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLlige View Post
Hi Royal Consort! Welcome. I'm pretty new here myself.

I haven't been to any other Disney parks apart from the US ones because I didn't think that they'd have the same feel, but from what you say, the Paris park sounds good. The Americans definitely have a flair for putting on a great American style show, and Disney excels in that. The French are absolutely fantastic with culturally-rich spectacles, but trying to do the Disney thing seems out of context. What made it enchanting and moving?
Hey MLlige,
I think it was the very fact that it wasn't an American style show which I loved so much. There's something about having the European style Disney Castle in Europe (where it belongs ultimately) and we experienced beautiful clear winter days with that fresh breeze and scent you only get in Europe. The CM's were very cheerful and hearing multilingual speakers was lovely. It felt a place for everyone, of all cultures, speaking all languages from everywhere. The snow on Main St ran all day every hour for Xmas, and although cold, this added to the experience.

I don't think this is a park for American tourists though unless they can let go of their preconceptions. I'm not sure the European Disney interpretation translates well for an American audience because it's not the Disney they expect from back home. This one is arguably more beautiful but also more understated. More refined perhaps?

It always feels odd to me when you hear the Disney characters from European fairy tales with American accents. Here, you could hear Belle speak french and then switch into English with her beautiful accent. It felt more authentic. Frontierland was wonderfully themed with Big Thunder Mountain on an island that you have to go below the water in the train to get to. The lands have more of a connected narrative too. For example, Big Thunder holds a relationship with Phantom Manor: Henry Ravenswood, a mining tycoon who developed Thunder Mesa (the whole of Frontierland) and after finding gold in Big Thunder Mountain built the mansion atop the hill overlooking the mountains. The story continues from there involving his daughter, murder and the eventual ghosts of Phantom Manor. I'm not sure you could have a man hanging from a noose with strobe lighting effects at the top of the stretching room in the US parks (scares the hell out of you). Don't believe me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwDUA...eature=related

Mickey was out in his toon car driving up main street waving and tooting at 8am during the early magic hours when only a handful of people were up. Then on Dumbo we were able to overlook the whole of the park with the sun coming up (I think there were 2 other people on Dumbo). Fantallusion was sensational in the evening, while the entirety of Fantasyland just appeared better constructed with gardens, greenery, cobble stones and an authentic Bavarian essence. It was nice to see how the Europeans interpret Disney animated classics rather than the American kitsch that sometimes happens. The whole thing felt quite relaxed. Then at twilight, having the castle shine as the sky turns pink/purple .... what better way to end your day?!

In saying this, we were there mid-week and it was very quiet so we felt the park was almost personally ours. We never waited in in line really and walked on to most popular rides multiple times. We considered 6 mins extreme waiting time

We're off to WDW and Disneyland at the end of this year and know that, although we will have a wonderful time, we will never have the park to ourselves and that same personalized magic we had in Paris. We were very lucky.

In my opinion Disneyland Paris gets a really bad rap for all the wrong reasons. The most common criticism is that it isn't the US parks. Well, they're right. It's something different and has its own magic. If you love the US parks but would love to experience a different 'twist' on the Disneyland concept. Paris offers that. If you want the same experience as the States then Paris isn't the place.

Last edited by Royal Consort; 02-03-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #81
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Good news here - hubby got the job he applied for and they said having November off will be no problem

How is everyone else going? Made anymore plans? Booked anything?

I have been looking at Undercover Tourist tonight at Cirque and KennedySC tickets - I am not going to buy them yet but I was wondering if this is the cheapest/best way to buy them?

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #82
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

That's wonderful news Dabecs. Way to go to you DH getting the job.

I'm not sure how it is best to book KSC. Would love to hear what others have done.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #83
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Well today we booked our NY accommodation! Makes it feel very real

We are staying in the financial district (Maiden Lane). There is a supermarket a few doors down and, of course, several restaurants and a salad bar within very easy walking distance

Now to find somewhere to stay in Washington!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #84
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

The airfares are coming down

Brisbane to LAX

Just checked Qantas and for the same days, they are cheaper than VAustralia

Looking at dates, end of November (30th) with return mid/late December is coming up at $1299 return. So one way is $679 ret is $621

Virgin is $1397 ($631 over and $766 ret)
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #85
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

It's great to see them come down isn't it

The $1299 Melbourne to LAX on Qantas is tempting me... Not sure if I should wait and see if they come down anymore or jump now because the Grand Prix sale (Qantas) ends Tuesday.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #86
DisneyGirlInOz
Earning My Ears

Hi All,

I'm new here (This is my first post)!! But I am currently looking at our next trip to WDW in November. We were there in May last year and even though this will be our 4th trip we can't get enough.

Looking forward to reading through all the info here
DisneyGirlInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #87
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlInOz View Post
Hi All,

I'm new here (This is my first post)!! But I am currently looking at our next trip to WDW in November. We were there in May last year and even though this will be our 4th trip we can't get enough.

Looking forward to reading through all the info here

I'm sure you will learn a lot on here - but you will probably also have heaps of tips to share.

When are you thinking of going and where would you be staying this trip?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #88
DisneyGirlInOz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post

I'm sure you will learn a lot on here - but you will probably also have heaps of tips to share.

When are you thinking of going and where would you be staying this trip?
Thanks dabecs, for the warm welcome. I am happy to share all the things I have learned from every trip and am looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

We were thinking of the week before thanksgiving as we would like to do NYC again. We spent 7 weeks travelling around the US last year and WDW and NY were stand outs for us. DL was also so much fun.

Thinking of Contemporary Resort again. We liked being able to walk to MK. BUT the trip before that was AKL. Loved it! Our room was looking onto the Savannah. It was beautiful.

I was waiting as they extended the free dining last year into some dates in November but the airfares are good now so I may just book.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #89
DisneyGirlInOz
Earning My Ears

I am looking at ADR at the moment (Just a little keen and early) but has anyone eaten at Sanaa?

I have only heard good things but have not eaten there before.

Also anyone else hoping that the Be Our Guest Restaurant will be open in November.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #90
mickeyd78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlInOz View Post
I am looking at ADR at the moment (Just a little keen and early) but has anyone eaten at Sanaa?

I have only heard good things but have not eaten there before.

Also anyone else hoping that the Be Our Guest Restaurant will be open in November.
We ate at Sanaa on our last trip last August. Highly recommended. One of the best meals we had - and a bit different from other WDW restaurants. We even had a table right at the window looking over the savanna. We plan to eat here again on our next trip.
mickeyd78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: