Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #601
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf65 View Post
one week to go until we set off for melbourne and 8 days until the long long flight!!
i still wont believe it until im actually standing in Orlando ! still living with the doubt in my mind that things are actually going to work out now!
How can a trip to the home of the mouse ever possibly go wrong?
Will you be going straight through or staying a night at Melbourne?
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #602
baf65
Mouseketeer

well already my DH has had to cancel so its just me and the kids!
we are stopping in melbourne and then going right through the next day, then we have 2 days till my folks arrive in from uk....aghhhhh ive been to america many times but never alone with children!
baf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #603
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

My countdown is getting serious

I just booked a car through Alamo - so another tick on the list

Kyl - we are staying at SSR, 2 bedroom villa I'm not sure if I will put in a request or let it be a surprise. Every section has it's pros and cons..

Baf65 - good luck

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #604
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post

Kyl - we are staying at SSR, 2 bedroom villa I'm not sure if I will put in a request or let it be a surprise. Every section has it's pros and cons..

Baf65 - good luck
Dabecs, how are you feeling about going to WDW for the first time? I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed because it's so huge. What's running through your mind. Perhaps we can answer a few last minute questions?

Have you been to DL before?

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #605
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Dabecs, how are you feeling about going to WDW for the first time? I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed because it's so huge. What's running through your mind. Perhaps we can answer a few last minute questions?

Have you been to DL before?
Very up and down Ms Shuttergirl. We spent the weekend out with friends and I consciously had a few days off from planning because I was getting a bit overwhelmed. And part of me feels like everything is as ready as it will ever be - but of course the other part of me feels like I need to get so much more done. I look forward to being on the plane - where for better or worse everything that can be done has and everything else we will make up as we go along

I have been to DL twice - as a child! I have never traveled to the USA as an adult (and hubby has never been at all). My parents have been a lot (not to WDW but to Washington and NYC) though so that is a help.

At this point getting the house ready for house sitters who I have never met is the part freaking me out the most - they are ringing me Thursday and I have no idea what to tell them/ask them but they are seasoned house sitters so I'm sure we will muddle through.

Thanks to these boards I feel pretty prepared - I know the headliners we should aim to do first or FP but I also know that even commando these parks cannot be done in one visit so why not stop and smell the roses. We are a pretty scheduled family in everyday life so I don't want to spend all of our time looking at the clock.

Here are a few ponderings - please throw in your input (and that goes for anyone reading this post!):

- haven't booked lunch with an astronaut because I am thinking of giving it a miss

- Looking at WDW CS menu boards - with a CS credit you get a main (entree) a drink and a desert, is that right? Most signs I have seen haven't seemed to indicate if it is only certain mains/deserts/drinks (thankfully kids meals are very clearly laid out). And at breakfast is it just a main and drink?

- A few people have said the hop on hop off in NYC is a must but we are planning on just catching the subway around.

- When we arrive to check in (WDW) do we ask for our parcels or should we wait till we get to our room and then ring down for them?

- What boat ride around Manhattan should we do

I'm sure I will have more And they are pretty trivial and ones that we could work out on our own once there but these are the thoughts keeping me awake when I hop into bed

And thank you for asking - it seems most of the Aussie/Kiwi section are old hands at WDW and it's quite an intimidating place because of it's size and the complexity of touring plans, fastpasses, dining plans, transport etc etc.

Oh man listing it like that makes me

And I still have to get the girls to 2 more dancing lessons, 1 more swimming lesson, 1 Italian dress up day at school, a prep (school) transition and the normal school and kinder.

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
Old 10-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #606
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Very up and down Ms Shuttergirl. We spent the weekend out with friends and I consciously had a few days off from planning because I was getting a bit overwhelmed. And part of me feels like everything is as ready as it will ever be - but of course the other part of me feels like I need to get so much more done. I look forward to being on the plane - where for better or worse everything that can be done has and everything else we will make up as we go along

I can so relate to this. It is always such a relief to be on the plane.

I have been to DL twice - as a child! I have never traveled to the USA as an adult (and hubby has never been at all). My parents have been a lot (not to WDW but to Washington and NYC) though so that is a help.

I'm sure your parents have been a big help then

At this point getting the house ready for house sitters who I have never met is the part freaking me out the most - they are ringing me Thursday and I have no idea what to tell them/ask them but they are seasoned house sitters so I'm sure we will muddle through.

Thanks to these boards I feel pretty prepared - I know the headliners we should aim to do first or FP but I also know that even commando these parks cannot be done in one visit so why not stop and smell the roses. We are a pretty scheduled family in everyday life so I don't want to spend all of our time looking at the clock.

Our family are similar and it's my nature to want to schedule holidays as well for the most part but I do throw in the occasional stop and smell the roses days

Here are a few ponderings - please throw in your input (and that goes for anyone reading this post!):

- haven't booked lunch with an astronaut because I am thinking of giving it a miss

I though about this as well and to be honest, unless you are die hard space junkies, perhaps it's not worth the extra time and expense

- Looking at WDW CS menu boards - with a CS credit you get a main (entree) a drink and a desert, is that right? Most signs I have seen haven't seemed to indicate if it is only certain mains/deserts/drinks (thankfully kids meals are very clearly laid out). And at breakfast is it just a main and drink?

Yes it's a main, drink and dessert per CS credit at all CS restaurants. I honestly can't remember the breakfast one, I'm not sure we ever used a credit for a breakfast since they are fairly cheap and I wanted to save the credits for a lunch or dinner

- A few people have said the hop on hop off in NYC is a must but we are planning on just catching the subway around.

My advice would be to do a guided tour on the first day to give you an overview and then use the subway. If this isn't your style, then I would suggest the hop on hop off is a good way to do NYC, although there can be some long waits for the next bus to come along at times I've read. But definitely try to embrace the subway, it's a bit scary at first but once you get your confidence up it's good

- When we arrive to check in (WDW) do we ask for our parcels or should we wait till we get to our room and then ring down for them?

I would mention it at check in and they will bring them up for you

You could just do the Statten Island Ferry which takes you past Lady Liberty. We did this and it was fun

I'm sure I will have more And they are pretty trivial and ones that we could work out on our own once there but these are the thoughts keeping me awake when I hop into bed

And thank you for asking - it seems most of the Aussie/Kiwi section are old hands at WDW and it's quite an intimidating place because of it's size and the complexity of touring plans, fastpasses, dining plans, transport etc etc.

I was extraordinarily overwhelmed when we went in 2010 and once we got there all of that prior planning really helped. I never felt overwhelmed once we were there. The buses are amazing when you consider how many people they transport. The maps to the parks are so well done that you just follow the plans you have put in place in terms of what to hit first and then wander and enjoy the rest. Best bit of advice, hit the parks early, have a rest in the afternoon then go back just before dinner time. The heat is exhausting so it's nice to get into the parks before it's too hot, do lots, then come back for a swim and a rest in the hottest part of the day.

And I still have to get the girls to 2 more dancing lessons, 1 more swimming lesson, 1 Italian dress up day at school, a prep (school) transition and the normal school and kinder.
Wow, Lots to do in your final week or so but at least time will fly and pretty soon you will be winging your way to the happiest place on earth .

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #607
ColinA
DIS Veteran

Shuttergirl, what month of the year have you been to WDW before.
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #608
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinA View Post
Shuttergirl, what month of the year have you been to WDW before.
Sept. Why do you ask Colin?

Actually I just double checked and we arrived on 29 Sept and left on 9 October.

Last edited by Ms. Shuttergirl; 10-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #609
ColinA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Sept. Why do you ask Colin?

Actually I just double checked and we arrived on 29 Sept and left on 9 October.
When November arrives the weather is getting much cooler than September and October.
ColinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #610
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf65 View Post
well already my DH has had to cancel so its just me and the kids!
we are stopping in melbourne and then going right through the next day, then we have 2 days till my folks arrive in from uk....aghhhhh ive been to america many times but never alone with children!
I think I would be very scared and nervous too. Expect the worst and anything good will be a bonus! I hope everything works out well.

Quote:

Baf65 - good luck
Would love to hear more on this...

Quote:

I think this is quite personal decision. We opted not to because it wasn't something that interested us.

Ms Shuttergirl has answered your question already but if you get there and you forget, don't be embarrassed to ask what you're entitled to/can or can't have! The CMs are very friendly and will help you out.

I encourage you to explore with the subways. It seems scary but is actually very easy to use and cheap. This is quite personal, but I'm not a big hop on hop off fan! Ms Shuttergirls recommendation of a good overall city tour is a great idea if budget can allow it. We got so much out of our tour. Learnt a lot that we wouldn't have if we had walked on our own. Having said that, you'd still learn and see enough on your own. I guess its the depth of knowledge that is the difference

What time do you arrive? I think when we went, it was delivered automatically without me asking. But it doesn't hurt to ask at check in I suppose.
I believe you're doing the climb at the statue of Liberty? So you will get a ferry trip anyway. Your time is probably best spent exploring other parts of the city

Dabecs, no question is a silly one. So ask away. Also be mindful that you'll probably get different answes from different people! So take the advice with a pinch of salt. You sound like you've prepared very well and have a sensible approach to the trip. You're going to places that will be awesome even if you just go and wander, but having some sort of plan , I am sure that you get that much more out of your destinations.
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #611
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Thank you Ms Shuttergirl and Shushh

My parents love the subway and have always used it so I think we will skip the bus. I am encouraging my parents to go on a walking tour, I just don't think my girls are old enough to stay engaged. Will put a tour on the list for next time

The boat tours I was looking at were an hour and a half long and go right around Manhattan - I think my family would all enjoy it. I will let you know how we go!

Thanks for clearing up the CS meals and packages - as I said small things but I like to have as much information as possible going in.

Shushh - my comment about SSR, well Springs is closest to the food court but is the last bus stop. Paddock and Grandstand are both further away from the main building but Paddock has the new pool and Grandstand is the closest to DTD. Not sure what would suit my family the best because I don't know yet where will be spending our time. Which is why I am thinking of leaving it up to luck.

I just went to the chemist and bought a big bag of holiday remedies - hope I have everything covered!

Single digit dancing!!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #612
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Single digits, wow.

If you're parents have used the subway before then you are off to a flying start. That will make it so much less stressful.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #613
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Dabecs, you are at single digits?! How wonderful and sooo exciting!!!!
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #614
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
Dabecs, you are at single digits?! How wonderful and sooo exciting!!!!
Thanks Travel Mum - it really is getting exciting It doesn't feel like it was that long ago I was saying "this year" and then I was at the 180 mark booking ADRS. And now it is next week!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #615
Travel Mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
: It doesn't feel like it was that long ago I was saying "this year" and then I was at the 180 mark booking ADRS. And now it is next week!
I know, I remember when you were at that stage!!
Disneyland - May 1996
Disneyland - March 1995 - for our 1st wedding anniversary celebration trip
Disneyland lots of times 78-80, 82-86 and 92-93 when I lived in L.A.
Travel Mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: