Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #556
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl

Oh really??? What do you mean by unreliable. I'm having a little heart attack now . I thought we would just get the front desk to call us a cab and it would come but now you've got me thinking that won't work????
I was told by a DC resident they were unreliable, she said for our early morning we should make 2 bookings 15 mins apart. That way if the first comes we can ring and cancel the second and if the first doesn't turn up we have a back up. I'm sure it will be fine but I am prone to be nervous about these things!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
dabecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #557
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

My Mickey balloon in my ticker is nearly past the castle!

Started the ticker at 1 year out - can't believe in less than 3 weeks we are leaving

I have organised an 'activity' bag for on the plane - does anyone know if you can take the 28g pots of play-dough on the plane? I have googled with conflicting reports (I have 2 pots which I have put in a snack size ziplock bag and I thought if security said it wasn't allowed then I could just bin it). I just think it could be a good way to keep busy.

The packing has officially begun!

Our first trip to WDW was November 2012 - Trip report at http://www.oztoworld.blogspot.com.au/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #558
Libby
Mouseketeer

With just under 6 weeks to go I have finally made all bookings for our WDW/Carribean cruise trip. Only thing outstanding is whether to see La Nouba or not. It would be on our last night but I don't know whether to keep it free to either go back to a park or have a relax. Or maybe a 2nd Xmas Party.
The weeks are going by so fast now that I know it will be departure day before I know it.

DL '92, DL '97, WDW '99 , DL '00, WDW '02, WDW/DCL '04, DL '07, DL '11, WDW Nov/Dec '12
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #559
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabecs View Post
My Mickey balloon in my ticker is nearly past the castle!

Started the ticker at 1 year out - can't believe in less than 3 weeks we are leaving

I have organised an 'activity' bag for on the plane - does anyone know if you can take the 28g pots of play-dough on the plane? I have googled with conflicting reports (I have 2 pots which I have put in a snack size ziplock bag and I thought if security said it wasn't allowed then I could just bin it). I just think it could be a good way to keep busy.

The packing has officially begun!
dabecs, this just sounds soooo messy for on a plane. It will fall on their seats, get mushed into their clothing and stuff. I don't think the airline staff would be overly thrilled with it to be honest.

What did the conflicting reviews say?

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #560
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:

dabecs, this just sounds soooo messy for on a plane. It will fall on their seats, get mushed into their clothing and stuff. I don't think the airline staff would be overly thrilled with it to be honest.

What did the conflicting reviews say?
I don't find play dough messy - we have even had the girls play with it in the car no probs. They always play with it on a tray and being 5 and 6 they are over the smoosh it into things stage. I was looking for more tactile activities and a few websites had it listed as a good idea for plane travel. I hadn't thought of it before that but it is an activity that can occupy them for an hour at home which made it enticing

Most reviews said it was fine to take on board as long as it is under 100ml but a few said security restrictions banned it because of the risk it could be plastic explosives.

I will leave play dough in the maybe pile!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #561
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer

Dabecs have you seen moon foam? Maybe that would be a good alternative? I think I saw it in the reject shop recently & moose brand have a version, it's like little sticky styrofoam bubbles that kids can mould into shapes preschool kids go nuts for it & less messy then play dough
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #562
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam
Dabecs have you seen moon foam? Maybe that would be a good alternative? I think I saw it in the reject shop recently & moose brand have a version, it's like little sticky styrofoam bubbles that kids can mould into shapes preschool kids go nuts for it & less messy then play dough
I'll definitely look into it! Thanks Sam

Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #563
shushh
DIS Veteran

Dabecs, how are your preparations going? Only just over 2 weeks to go!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #564
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh
Dabecs, how are your preparations going? Only just over 2 weeks to go!
Going well (I think) I'm at the stage where I feel totally organised one minute and the next I'm panicking - so right on schedule!

I have lists on top of my lists and with the normal school, preschool, after school sports routine on top and Alexis starting school transition sessions it's all feeling a little crazy And it's hubby's B'day on Sat too!

I think it is all falling into place now - some more shopping (medicine and I would like a new travel handbag) and lots of cleaning and I'll be close to ready

How is the planning for your trip going?

Old 10-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #565
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Going well (I think) I'm at the stage where I feel totally organised one minute and the next I'm panicking - so right on schedule!

I have lists on top of my lists and with the normal school, preschool, after school sports routine on top and Alexis starting school transition sessions it's all feeling a little crazy And it's hubby's B'day on Sat too!

I think it is all falling into place now - some more shopping (medicine and I would like a new travel handbag) and lots of cleaning and I'll be close to ready

How is the planning for your trip going?
Its sounding good! This time of year is just so crazy isn't it? A very happy to your hubby! Do you have anything exciting planned?

As for us, the major things have been organised ie transport from A to B and accomodation, as well as shore excursions. I've just got to research all the various passes that are available for each city to work out which ones suit us best. Its stressful as the time has come for us to finalise all the little details with regards to building our new home and it all has to be done before we leave! Say the landscaper on Monday, the lighting person yesterday and will be meeting up with the architect tomorrow, and then onsite meetings with the builder every week.

Then there's dental appointments, end of year concerts for EVERYTHING, the kids are moving schools so orientation days, getting new school uniforms, books, birthdays left right and centre, christmas parties left right and centre...ARGHHH!!!!

Do I sound stressed?!?!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #566
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh

Its sounding good! This time of year is just so crazy isn't it? A very happy to your hubby! Do you have anything exciting planned?

As for us, the major things have been organised ie transport from A to B and accomodation, as well as shore excursions. I've just got to research all the various passes that are available for each city to work out which ones suit us best. Its stressful as the time has come for us to finalise all the little details with regards to building our new home and it all has to be done before we leave! Say the landscaper on Monday, the lighting person yesterday and will be meeting up with the architect tomorrow, and then onsite meetings with the builder every week.

Then there's dental appointments, end of year concerts for EVERYTHING, the kids are moving schools so orientation days, getting new school uniforms, books, birthdays left right and centre, christmas parties left right and centre...ARGHHH!!!!

Do I sound stressed?!?!
The good thing about having a deadline for the house decisions is you can't keep changing your mind And once the decision is made you can go on holiday and forget about it for a while!

Christmas craziness is starting earlier every year - and every activity seems to have an end of year party/concert now!

I am finding the little details the hardest, just trying to make sure I have everything organised. I keep thinking about things I need to research just when I am going to sleep. Things like "do I need to prebook lunch with an astronaut" and do we even want to do it? Should we do a "monuments by moonlight tour in Washington" and if we do will the girls be able to stay awake till 10 at night? And then the while we are away ones like "when are dancing fees for term 4 due" it just keeps going!

I don't know what I would do without the internet, and I know once over there I can still look things up, book things online and still do banking and bill paying (blerghh) but I would like to have as much done as possible so I can enjoy the holiday.

Quite the long rambling reply!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #567
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post

Do I sound stressed?!?!
Yes you do sound stressed but that is to be expected. You have soooo much going on at the moment. I think it was great that you handed some of the shore excursion planning over to DH, that would have helped a little. The house stuff is of course very full on and I know you want to make sure to get all of the decisions right so that should be your main focus. The trip stuff will fall into place and if need be you can do more as you go once you leave.

It will be fine .

Quote:
The good thing about having a deadline for the house decisions is you can't keep changing your mind And once the decision is made you can go on holiday and forget about it for a while!

Christmas craziness is starting earlier every year - and every activity seems to have an end of year party/concert now!

I am finding the little details the hardest, just trying to make sure I have everything organised. I keep thinking about things I need to research just when I am going to sleep. Things like "do I need to prebook lunch with an astronaut" and do we even want to do it? Should we do a "monuments by moonlight tour in Washington" and if we do will the girls be able to stay awake till 10 at night? And then the while we are away ones like "when are dancing fees for term 4 due" it just keeps going!

I don't know what I would do without the internet, and I know once over there I can still look things up, book things online and still do banking and bill paying (blerghh) but I would like to have as much done as possible so I can enjoy the holiday.

Quite the long rambling reply!
I'm the same about that damn monuments by moonlight thing . Actually yesterday I had to make some hard decisions about Washington and now that it's done I feel like I can move on. We are now doing a walking tour at 5.30pm so will see the monuments at night but not like I was originally thinking we would. We will of course freeze our butts off though .

We have also decided to do the hop on hop off old trolley tour which I was in 2 minds about but I think we will see more of the city that way although I know it's all fairly compact and we could just cab it. I like the idea of the live commentary and doing full loops. And I really want to go to Arlington Cemetery.

Washington is proving to be hard to organise in my head for some reason.

Oh and our damn airline from Buffalo to Boston has just cancelled our flight again Grrrrrrrr . I'm getting so annoyed. I don't know what we are going to do now. It's looking like we will have to use another airline and pay more but frankly I just don't care. I want flights booked that aren't going to be changed.

Ugh, that's my vent for the day

Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #568
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

I'm having the same issues with Washington, just can't get my head around it. And I think going in fall/winter makes it tricky - I don't want to book a tour and the weather is bad and some activities don't run at this time of year..

I was planning on catching the Metro around town but they don't have kid's fares so now I'm not sure. And the food options I've found haven't excited my like NYC.

I need to read a trip report from someone who has gone a similar time of year

Bummer about the flight, uncertainty is not a planners friend!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #569
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Here's the link to my Washington Places to eat - they are mainly geared near out hotel, Georgetown and the mall but perhaps something will help:- https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...533aae64&msa=0

I had originally thought about the metro but when I started asking questions on Trip Advisor they said for a family of 4, it's just as easy and cheap to jump in a cab as to buy 4 metro tickets.

There is the Circulator Bus which is $1 per ride that you might be able to try.

Shushh was there in December and did a trip report. I think it's in her siggie.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #570
dabecs
Returning to WDW 2014!

Quote:
Here's the link to my Washington Places to eat - they are mainly geared near out hotel, Georgetown and the mall but perhaps something will help:- https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...533aae64&msa=0

I had originally thought about the metro but when I started asking questions on Trip Advisor they said for a family of 4, it's just as easy and cheap to jump in a cab as to buy 4 metro tickets.

There is the Circulator Bus which is $1 per ride that you might be able to try.

Shushh was there in December and did a trip report. I think it's in her siggie.
I have read Shushh's trip report (more than once!) but somehow I forgot she went to DC, I will read it again tonight when I'm on the computer.

Thanks for sharing your map, I will have a look at that once I'm on the comp - I'm sure your choices will be good! I think lunch is likely to be at whatever museum we are at and I would like to self cater more in DC (I love perusing foreign supermarkets) but I still need a few dinner options.

I know what you mean about public transport vs cabs - not a huge difference! I haven't heard of the circular bus though so will research that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: