Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #751
BennyFedora
Mouseketeer

Joyce and I actually really liked Jiko, but I guess it depends on what kind of food you're into.

The bread was awesome--and I'm a bread snob because my dad owns a bakery. They had some seasoned butter which was also great. I could seriously have eaten an entire meal of it!

I had the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin as my appetizer and love it, but just wished there were more. The Grilled Shrimp Curry was my entrée and just as delicious.

Joyce had the Jiko Salad to start and then the Braised Beef Short Rib. It had goat cheese and some other fun stuff in it, which is right up her alley. She also thought the short rib was great, but the onion and carrot side thingy was probably her favorite part of the entire meal.

We'd definitely recommend it, but with the caveat that it's far from standard, and quite expensive. My shrimp was spicy, but I like that. The boar was flavorful, but noticeably different than a fillet mignon.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents!

P.S., my memory isn't that great...I may have borrowed some of that from Joyce's TR
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #752
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Lol at cancelling GFC but breakfast at Kona sounds great!

Mmm that entree looks delish
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #753
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I think we went at a bad time to Jiko... the past reviews were all good and the current reviews are all good... around the time we went there were a bunch of bad reviews! (I think they have since switched Chefs)

I would be willing to give it another chance (especially since I didn't even taste any of it!) but my husband isn't willing.

We had bad service combined with bad food.

My husband ordered the Chicken (Tandori I think) and it was EXTREMELY dry and burnt!
I would have to look at my review to see what I ordered... I'd had whatever kind of meat I had before and this was just off... I thought at first it was my tastebuds but my hubby said it wasn't good either..

We are pretty adventurous eaters. We go to numerous fine dining dinners... I have a few dislikes (Olives and Capers! ) and I dislike spicy as I prefer to taste my food not have my mouth on fire. My husband doesn't like a lot of veggies but will usually eat them when dining out!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #754
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

What a lovely rest day! Franklin and I are big fans of Kona for breakfast. AP is on my to-do list, I really want to try the mushroom soup (glad to hear Brandon liked it!)

Of the Signatures, we've eaten at Cali Grill and Citricos. Of those two I'd give the nod to Cali Grill, though I'm dying to try Jiko (and plan to on my trip next October).
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #755
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

I know what you mean about Disney music! It just makes me happy. I try to explain it to others but they think I am crazy

I have never had a "rest day" at Disney, it sounds so nice! Good for you

The Poly is very beautiful but I stayed lost when we visited there several years ago.

Loved hearing about Artist Point! We have never eaten there. We have eaten at Cali Grill (which is my absolute favorite) but maybe our next trip we will venture to Artist Point
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #756
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I'm taking so long to do another update here, I'm just really trying to get through my December TR! I should only have one or two more updates over there, and then I'll do a little wrap up, but I will definitely do an update here in between and finish up our rest day and get to the Haunted Carriage Ride! Thanks for sticking with me and still reading, I just can't wait to be finished with my December TR so I can concentrate on this one! I'm still excited to be writing this one, the other one...eh, I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyFedora View Post
Joyce and I actually really liked Jiko, but I guess it depends on what kind of food you're into.

The bread was awesome--and I'm a bread snob because my dad owns a bakery. They had some seasoned butter which was also great. I could seriously have eaten an entire meal of it!

I had the Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin as my appetizer and love it, but just wished there were more. The Grilled Shrimp Curry was my entrée and just as delicious.

Joyce had the Jiko Salad to start and then the Braised Beef Short Rib. It had goat cheese and some other fun stuff in it, which is right up her alley. She also thought the short rib was great, but the onion and carrot side thingy was probably her favorite part of the entire meal.

We'd definitely recommend it, but with the caveat that it's far from standard, and quite expensive. My shrimp was spicy, but I like that. The boar was flavorful, but noticeably different than a fillet mignon.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents!

P.S., my memory isn't that great...I may have borrowed some of that from Joyce's TR
Jiko sounds really good, and really...interesting. The problem is, I'm the least adventurous eater in the world. Brandon would be fine with it, he likes trying new things, but I'm a huge baby about it. However, Jiko almost sounds too good to be a baby about. And it looks pretty inside, which helps.

I was impressed that you remembered all of that from your trip, til I read that you borrowed it from Joyce's TR! I was wondering what was wrong with me, because unless I take pictures or write it in my notes, I can never remember what we ordered in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Lol at cancelling GFC but breakfast at Kona sounds great!

Mmm that entree looks delish
Kona was great, and it's always nice to visit the Poly, since apparently I'm never staying there! And Artist Point was so good, I'd love to go there again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I think we went at a bad time to Jiko... the past reviews were all good and the current reviews are all good... around the time we went there were a bunch of bad reviews! (I think they have since switched Chefs)

I would be willing to give it another chance (especially since I didn't even taste any of it!) but my husband isn't willing.

We had bad service combined with bad food.

My husband ordered the Chicken (Tandori I think) and it was EXTREMELY dry and burnt!
I would have to look at my review to see what I ordered... I'd had whatever kind of meat I had before and this was just off... I thought at first it was my tastebuds but my hubby said it wasn't good either..

We are pretty adventurous eaters. We go to numerous fine dining dinners... I have a few dislikes (Olives and Capers! ) and I dislike spicy as I prefer to taste my food not have my mouth on fire. My husband doesn't like a lot of veggies but will usually eat them when dining out!
That does sound like a pretty bad experience. Maybe you just got them on an off night? It does happen, even at Disney! Maybe your DH will be more willing to go back in a few years, after he's forgotten about how bad it was over time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
What a lovely rest day! Franklin and I are big fans of Kona for breakfast. AP is on my to-do list, I really want to try the mushroom soup (glad to hear Brandon liked it!)

Of the Signatures, we've eaten at Cali Grill and Citricos. Of those two I'd give the nod to Cali Grill, though I'm dying to try Jiko (and plan to on my trip next October).
AP is really good, I can't recommend it enough! The mushroom soup was amazing, and I don't like mushrooms. Ok, well, I don't like eating actual mushrooms, but I like the flavor of them, if that makes sense! I just don't think I'd want a whole bowl of it!

Everyone seems to really like Citricos, but I just have no interest in it! Cali Grill seems like it would be really good, and I think I'd be ok with Jiko, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should try Boma for dinner first, and then try a few of the weird things they have there, and see if I could handle it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditsypixie View Post
I know what you mean about Disney music! It just makes me happy. I try to explain it to others but they think I am crazy

I have never had a "rest day" at Disney, it sounds so nice! Good for you

The Poly is very beautiful but I stayed lost when we visited there several years ago.

Loved hearing about Artist Point! We have never eaten there. We have eaten at Cali Grill (which is my absolute favorite) but maybe our next trip we will venture to Artist Point
I'm addicted to Disney music, especially the music loops from the parks! I just downloaded the Innoventions area loop and the Tomorrowland area loop onto my Iphone and I listen to them all the time on the way to work!

Rest days are essential for us on long trips, the next long trip we take, I'm considering doing either 2 rest days, or we just won't park hop so much, by the end of this trip we were both SO tired!

The Poly is confusing, isn't it! It's nice that they have maps that you can look at on the walkways though, even though they don't really help!

I'm glad everyone seems to love Cali Grill! I'm still torn between that and Yachtsman, and I'm even still considering Jiko, so we'll see what happens in May! I will probably change whatever ADR I make 50 times before we go!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #757
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

I am sure you will make a good decision, but I agree that it is hard to decide! LOL
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV&GFV

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #758
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Haunted Carriage Ride!

Tuesday, 10/4

Wow, I can't believe I can actually update my October TR again! I'm so happy to be focusing on just this TR again, doing two was annoying!

So where were we? Brandon and I were enjoying our fantastic dinner at Artist Point, and we were wondering what to do for the next few hours. We were going to be going on the Haunted Carriage Ride later that night, at 10:30, but until then, we had no plans.

"Why don't we go to that place we went on our first trip and then never went back to?"

Wow...as Chandler Bing might say "could you BE anymore vague?"

I had no idea what Brandon was talking about...

"Where was that?"

"You know, the place with the ESPN restaurant that we ate at."

"Oh...the Boardwalk? The place I talk about all the time because I want to stay there someday, there?"

"Yeah I guess."

It's amazing to me sometimes that my husband is so clueless about Disney.

"Sure, we can go there, that sounds fun!"

So as soon as we paid our bill at Artist Point, we were on our way to the Boardwalk!

We immediately went down to the boardwalk when we found those stairs (never knew where they were before this trip!) and looked around.

We went to the Boardwalk Bakery to get some dessert, since we skipped it at AP and I cannot remember what we got! I think Brandon got ice cream? I have no idea what I got. I know I got something, because we sat at a table right outside, but I really don't know what!

When we were finished, we walked all the way to the ESPN Club, looked around in the shop, and then turned around and walked over to the other side of the boardwalk. We went in a few shops and then Brandon noticed the performers that were outside, so he stopped to watch them.

While he was watching (I didn't bother, the guy was doing some kind of magic tricks or card tricks or something, and I had no interest!) I went over to the edge of the boardwalk and looked over at the Beach and Yacht Clubs.

I love the Epcot resort area. I loved the feeling I had at the Boardwalk that night, it was like a little mini-vacation while still on vacation! I was starting to feel that I really wanted to stay there! I mean, I had always wanted to, but I was nervous about the clown pool, and I mean, how could I ever stay there and not stay in the Beach Club when it's right across the water?

When Brandon finished up watching the magic guy, or whatever he was, I told him how in love with the Boardwalk I was, and how I wanted to stay here on our next trip. But we had to go check out the clown pool first. If that clown pool was as terrible as it looked in pictures, forget it!

Huh...it's not that bad. I mean, I could do without the glowing eyes, but it's really not as awful as I was expecting. I could probably deal with it. And they have movies back there too, it's such a cool little area, I really, really loved it, actually.

We went inside the lobby to just hang out and sit for a little while, and Brandon looked around and read everything in there. All of the decorations and pictures have descriptions next to them of what they are or what they are inspired by, from old boardwalk towns, it's really interesting!

Finally it was time to head over to Fort Wilderness, we were leaving kind of early, because we had no idea how to get around FW! On our way to the car at the Boardwalk, I saw some of the fireworks from Illuminations, and just started walking towards them. Brandon grabbed my arm and said "noooo!" jokingly, like he was scolding me, because I wandered off!

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help it, I'm just pulled towards Epcot!"

We drove over to FW, and it was actually kind of creepy driving there. The road is SO long, and it's dark and there are just trees, it almost doesn't feel like you are in Disney anymore, until you finally see the FW sign! I thought for a minute that we got lost!

We told the guard that we were there for the carriage ride, and that we had no idea where to go, and she told us where to park and to get a bus to...the Settlement? I think? It was either the Settlement or the Outpost, and then when we got off, to find the Blacksmith Shop. Ok, sounds easy enough!

We got on a bus, got off where were supposed to, and saw this

so we followed the lighted path, even though, I have to say, it wasn't very well lit, and it was kind of creepy!

We arrived early at the Blacksmith Shop, so the CM there told us we could go look around the stable if we wanted to. We did, and the horses were really cute, but they were huge! There were also ponies outside, really pretty, white ponies, just hanging out!

Finally, it was time to go on our Haunted Carriage Ride! We met our driver, who's name of course, I don't remember, but she was really nice. She told us about the ponies, she said they are the ones you see pulling Cinderella's carriage in the parades (like MVMCP)! Isn't that so cute? It must be awesome to be a horse or pony at Disney. Work for a few hours then LIVE at Fort Wilderness.

You ride through the Fort a little, and see some of the campsites, and during that time, the driver chats with you. The carriage ride has it's own trail though, and when you get there, the driver stops talking and turns on a recording that tells you the story of the Headless Horseman and Sleepy Hollow.

I wish I got better pics, but most of them turned out really blurry, since it was dark and we were moving.

I don't want to give too much away anyway, if anyone ever wants to do it! But the whole story talks about the Headless Horseman and I was constantly looking back to see if he was sneaking up on us! When he did finally ride by, he did, really slowly, then came over to our carriage and like, leaned in over us! It was terrifying, I hid my face in Brandon's arm! I was expecting him to ride by, or chase us a little, but to hover over us like that was scary! I wish I took a picture, but I was too afraid!

The rest of our ride was calm, we finished up the story

and it was over. Our driver asked us where we were going after this, and we said back to WL, so she dropped us off at a bus stop, isn't that cool?

I absolutely LOVED the Haunted Carriage Ride! If you read my December TR, you know that we did the Holiday Sleigh Ride also, which is awesome, but I think I like the HCR a little better. Just because it has it's own trail, and the story, and hello, the Headless Horseman! I'm not easily spooked by things like that, but I'm telling you, that was scary!

If anyone is ever debating doing the HCR, DO IT! You will not regret it, it is SO much fun! It's something fun and different to do if you want a break from the parks, but still want to do something!

Our rest day was great, but I was ready to get back to WL, go to sleep, and hit the parks the next day bright and early! One day away is enough for me!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #759
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

The HCR looks like fun! I am glad you had a good time on it

The Boardwalk area is awesome! I love it over there! It's peaceful and cute and like your somewhere else entirely!

I LOVE how you were "drawn" to EPCOT when Illuminations started :D Right there you definitely can tell how much you love EPCOT
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV&GFV

Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #760
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

The HCR sounds so cool! I would be just like you and be terrified the headless horseman was going to come up behind me! That would freak me out!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #761
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Awww the Boardwalk!!!! We love it there!

The Haunted Carriage Ride sounds awesome, but so creepy too!!! What a fun experience!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #762
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Woah, I had no idea the headless horseman paid you a visit when you do the HCR!!! So cool and creepy, but mostly cool!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #763
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

I'm OK with the clown pool in the daytime, but at night the glowing eyes completely creep me out. (shudder)

OK, now thanks to you, I have another "must do" to add to our October trip. You just made the HCR sound way too cool!! So, seriously, THANKS!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #764
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

The HCR sounds like a ton of fun! I love going to Fort Wilderness and just hanging around. I don't know why. I think it brings back good memories of a trip we took where we stayed there.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #765
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

The carriage ride sounds great! About how long was it & how did you book it?

Love the pictures of the Boardwalk lit up at night. It looks so pretty! I hope we can make it down to that area someday. We just never manage to find the time!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: