Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #1351
emksmama
Mouseketeer

We did a straight thru trip last year, Kokomo Indiana to Ft Myers Beach, right at 1200 miles. Wasn't too bad, took about 22 hours with two kids, 7 & 8. Did it both ways and are doing a straight thru next weekend to Disney!! That's about 1050 miles I think?

1984 & 1986 with parents, no clue where we stayed but they were both off property
July 2012 Shades of Green 3 generations of FUN
October 20-24, 2014 POP & MNSSHP
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #1352
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

We're doing it! We're driving to Disney for Xmas!!!

It's been about 7 years since we've driven to WDW. It's an 1150 mile drive each way and about 19 hours. (Although my BFF does the drive twice a year & swears it only takes her 17 hours with 4 little ones in tow!)

It's DH, myself and our 2 kids. DD(14) DS(9). The trip is going to be a surprise for them so all my planning has to be done secretly.

We've decided to take them out of school early on Dec 21st and be on the road by 11am. (This way we can pack up the car while they are at school!!) We plan on driving until about 10-11pm. That should put is in SC, I hope. So any suggestions on where to stay off i95 in maybe Florence, SC?

I've been spoiled by flying on all our recent trips & I'm really nervous about this drive! I'm going to be armed with a Kindle & iPad (loaded with movies) and I hope this will help pass the time for the kids.

My one dread is the ride home. Any suggestion on where to stop over for a night on our way home on the 28th off of i95 North about 6 hours away from WDW?

Thanks for any advice!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #1353
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

We have tried driving straight through once and it was really hard. We now plan overnight stops so we don't start our trips exhausted and cranky. We were gonna stay off sight right outside Disney once and wound up getting a room only ressie on site and switched the next day when the package started; we thought why spend the money elsewhere.

We are leaving from MI Aug 5 and just booked a room in Savannah for the night.

Good luck with the planning.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1354
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
Has anyone else "pushed through"? We are leaving Sat. Aug 25th from Western NY (Tonawanda in case anyone is interested) and my plan is to spend the night around Savannah and arrive at WDW sometime in the afternoon on Sunday the 26th and check into ASMo. My DH however thinks we should try to drive straight through and spend saturday night outside of the world, and we will be right there Sunday to get started on our trip.

Who has (other than Julluvsdisney) had plans to stop, but then decided to continue on to Orlando? Our trip is approx 1220 miles.
1096 miles straight through. we leave at 3am and arrive at okw around 7pm.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #1355
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
We're doing it! We're driving to Disney for Xmas!!!

It's been about 7 years since we've driven to WDW. It's an 1150 mile drive each way and about 19 hours. (Although my BFF does the drive twice a year & swears it only takes her 17 hours with 4 little ones in tow!)

It's DH, myself and our 2 kids. DD(14) DS(9). The trip is going to be a surprise for them so all my planning has to be done secretly.

We've decided to take them out of school early on Dec 21st and be on the road by 11am. (This way we can pack up the car while they are at school!!) We plan on driving until about 10-11pm. That should put is in SC, I hope. So any suggestions on where to stay off i95 in maybe Florence, SC?

I've been spoiled by flying on all our recent trips & I'm really nervous about this drive! I'm going to be armed with a Kindle & iPad (loaded with movies) and I hope this will help pass the time for the kids.

My one dread is the ride home. Any suggestion on where to stop over for a night on our way home on the 28th off of i95 North about 6 hours away from WDW?

Thanks for any advice!
spoiled flying?

private jet? (im just kidding around by the way)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #1356
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Ok I need some expert advice! This is our second drive to disney from Boston! On the way down we are driving straight through like last yr but on the way home I'm hoping to have a better plan than last year. We ended up leaving Orlando vey late and barely make it to savannah before we were so tired we had to stop to sleep! We would like a few suggested SAFE areas to stop a little less than half way from Orlando to Boston. I'm thinking about 8 -10 hrs from Orlando. What's a good safe inexpensive place right near the highway to stop ? TIA!!!!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POR *2015 VGF*
Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #1357
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emksmama View Post
We did a straight thru trip last year, Kokomo Indiana to Ft Myers Beach, right at 1200 miles. Wasn't too bad, took about 22 hours with two kids, 7 & 8. Did it both ways and are doing a straight thru next weekend to Disney!! That's about 1050 miles I think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
1096 miles straight through. we leave at 3am and arrive at okw around 7pm.
I am thinking our trip will be about 22hrs with stops (mapquest says 19.5). I just assumed I wouldn't be able to get up as early as 3am and stay awake the entire trip, but now I am rethinking things especilly since we will have 2 drivers. Hmmmm, I never thought we would be able to drive straight through, but now I am thinking it might be possible.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #1358
emksmama
Mouseketeer

We are leaving around 7 or 8 Saturday night, with stops we hope to arrive at Shades around 2 Sunday afternoon, then rest, swim and hit DTD that evening. With two drivers it is very doable!!

1984 & 1986 with parents, no clue where we stayed but they were both off property
July 2012 Shades of Green 3 generations of FUN
October 20-24, 2014 POP & MNSSHP
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #1359
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Quote:
I am thinking our trip will be about 22hrs with stops (mapquest says 19.5). I just assumed I wouldn't be able to get up as early as 3am and stay awake the entire trip, but now I am rethinking things especilly since we will have 2 drivers. Hmmmm, I never thought we would be able to drive straight through, but now I am thinking it might be possible.
After subscribing and reading this thread what you think is impossible becomes possible. The tips, suggestions, live drives are the best to be found.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1360
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
spoiled flying?

private jet? (im just kidding around by the way)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #1361
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
I don't recommend a straight through drive right off the bat. The last 5-6 hours when you go straight through are really tough for us. Plus then we arrive really tired and end up sitting around the resort and watching TV until the evening or even the next day.

Our next trip we will stop on the way down after about 12 hours, then we'll have about 5 hours the next day. We'll sleep, arrive refreshed and ready to attack the day. We have the vacation time to do it, so we'll go Monday through the following Thursday and go at a leisurely pace.

Unless you have a sense of how that drive feels, you could end up starting your trip off miserable!

If you listen to DVCZerfs, it's a piece of cake! But he's a machine!!!!! For us normal humans, it's a little harder than he makes it out to be.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #1362
BC1836
DIS Veteran

On This Day In "For 2,000+ Mile Round Trip Drivers Only!" History:

July 12, 2010: The second thread of this site begins.

[See the first post on page 1 for more info.]

Happy Driving....

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1363
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monymony3471 View Post
We have tried driving straight through once and it was really hard. We now plan overnight stops so we don't start our trips exhausted and cranky. We were gonna stay off sight right outside Disney once and wound up getting a room only ressie on site and switched the next day when the package started; we thought why spend the money elsewhere.

We are leaving from MI Aug 5 and just booked a room in Savannah for the night.

Good luck with the planning.
My original thought was we needed to stop in Savannah for the night and have a shorter drive the next day. My first thought if we did drive straight through was to stay off-site somewhere outside WDW, but now I am thinking of trying to get a room onsite. That is if we even make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I don't recommend a straight through drive right off the bat. The last 5-6 hours when you go straight through are really tough for us. Plus then we arrive really tired and end up sitting around the resort and watching TV until the evening or even the next day.

Our next trip we will stop on the way down after about 12 hours, then we'll have about 5 hours the next day. We'll sleep, arrive refreshed and ready to attack the day. We have the vacation time to do it, so we'll go Monday through the following Thursday and go at a leisurely pace.

Unless you have a sense of how that drive feels, you could end up starting your trip off miserable!

If you listen to DVCZerfs, it's a piece of cake! But he's a machine!!!!! For us normal humans, it's a little harder than he makes it out to be.

My initial plan was to try to make it to Savannah and stop for the night, then my DH starts with we should just drive straight through. We are still leaving at the same times as we would if we were going to stop, so if we can't make it all the way through we will not be thrown off schedule at all. I guess we will just have to see how it goes, this is our first drive down.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #1364
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
After subscribing and reading this thread what you think is impossible becomes possible. The tips, suggestions, live drives are the best to be found.
This is our 1st attempt at driving, I am excited! This board has been useful so far. Who knows? We may become regular drivers.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1365
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post

rookies!!!!

i should put a disclaimer in there. im an outside rep. for a hvac supply company. i drive around 40k a year for work so i spend alot of time behind the wheel. on most days, im on the road by 4am so leaving at 3am, staying awake till 7pm driving, is no big deal for me i do it everyday. family wise, my wife can read, sleep in the car with no problems and when our dd was little (her first trip was at 9 months) is a great traveler. dd is now 19 and she has made the trip 26 times. she has been itching to do some driving but i dont trust her.
so yes, if your not use to driving long distances, hours on end of looking at black top and white lines zipping by you, you may want to have a plan b when making your first attempt. if you have little ones, only you know how they are in a car.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: