Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #1336
WIDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Since you're taking the 40-26-95 route, I'll suggest a slight alteration. Get off I-75 at Corbin, KY (Exit 29), and take the Cumberland Gap Parkway (US 25-E). It's a little over 100 miles from Corbin to Newport, TN where you pick up I-40 going east toward Asheville, NC. You'll avoid the I-75 mess around Jellico, and you bypass Knoxville completely. And it's a beautiful drive. I'd try to time it so you'll reach Clinch Mountain (about 90 minutes from Corbin) at sunset. The view from top of the mountain is breathtaking.

Honestly, I'd suggest this route, even if there wasn't the problems around Jellico. It's a shorter route, and it adds very little time to your trip. It's four lanes throughout. There are a few stoplights, but only in your towns (Corbin, Middlesboro, Morristown, Newport). Make sure you follow the signs, because you'll make a left hand turn right before Tazewell, TN. You'll still be on US 25-E.

And since you said you'll be at Jellico around 8 pm, that means you'll be in Cincinnati during rush hour. I'd take the bypass around Cincinnati...from I-74, take I-275 into Kentucky and pick up I-75 from I-275. You'll bypass downtown Cincinnati by taking that route, and save a few minutes as well.

Have a good trip. Any questions, please ask.
Thank you for the information - we had already planned to take the bypass around Cincinnati but the comments on 25-E are interesting. Sound like it would be beautiful, but unfortunately our timing looks like we will be too late for the best view (departure time is fixed due to swim lessons). Either way I will keep that as an option should things sound bad around Jellico.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #1337
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Drove straight through on the way back

Left Hollywood Studios at 9am after riding star tours, toy story, RNR, and ToT during emhs.

Filled the tank and started driving. Kids were all up for the drive(18,14,9,7) we grabbed quick lunch ate on the road. Stopped for sit down dinner around 7 pm. Got home at 3am.

I have to say it really wasn't bad. We hit zero traffic and that helped. We did the 26/77/81? I think to 78.

Whew. Really would do it again.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1338
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post

Left Hollywood Studios at 9am after riding star tours, toy story, RNR, and ToT during emhs.

Filled the tank and started driving. Kids were all up for the drive(18,14,9,7) we grabbed quick lunch ate on the road. Stopped for sit down dinner around 7 pm. Got home at 3am.

I have to say it really wasn't bad. We hit zero traffic and that helped. We did the 26/77/81? I think to 78.

i hope you waved when you past the rt33 stroudsburg exit in pa, i live about 5 min. north of there.
glad you had a good drive.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #1339
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

Hi Wanted to get on board. This will be our 3rd time driving down and back. Last time we drove straight through on the way home - we planned 3 nights down and 2 back this time. We have an extra driver this time also - my DS got his license in Nov.

It will be about 1400 miles each way. Do you suggest 95 straight down or going 81 to bypass DC? GPS shows a 2 hour difference in time but I think that with DC traffic the two may actually be equal.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #1340
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomme View Post
Hi Wanted to get on board. This will be our 3rd time driving down and back. Last time we drove straight through on the way home - we planned 3 nights down and 2 back this time. We have an extra driver this time also - my DS got his license in Nov.

It will be about 1400 miles each way. Do you suggest 95 straight down or going 81 to bypass DC? GPS shows a 2 hour difference in time but I think that with DC traffic the two may actually be equal.
Welcome! We're a friendly bunch here so hopefully we can help you.

I didn't notice where you're coming from. If you're coming from NY or above, I think 81 is probably the way to go. There's a LOT of cities on the way that have the potential for trouble.

What day of the week would you hit DC?

Once you get into NC, you should be okay having DS drive. NC/SC and GA are pretty straight, easy and uncomplicated. Just make sure you have him practice on a highway first. Some folks get very intimidated by trucks passing, or safe following distance.

We're 5 weeks away from today and we do 95 the whole way down but we're hoping our timing will be good. We'll leave Monday around 9 am, hit DC at lunch so hopefully avoid traffic and stop around Walterboro SC by 10 or so. Then it's a quick 5 hours the next day to WDW

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #1341
DisMomme
Waiting to go to my WDW home again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Welcome! We're a friendly bunch here so hopefully we can help you.

I didn't notice where you're coming from. If you're coming from NY or above, I think 81 is probably the way to go. There's a LOT of cities on the way that have the potential for trouble.

What day of the week would you hit DC?

Once you get into NC, you should be okay having DS drive. NC/SC and GA are pretty straight, easy and uncomplicated. Just make sure you have him practice on a highway first. Some folks get very intimidated by trucks passing, or safe following distance.

We're 5 weeks away from today and we do 95 the whole way down but we're hoping our timing will be good. We'll leave Monday around 9 am, hit DC at lunch so hopefully avoid traffic and stop around Walterboro SC by 10 or so. Then it's a quick 5 hours the next day to WDW
Thanks! We'll be there around the same times. We live just north of Boston and we're leaving Aug 2nd. We are stopping 2 nights in Sarasota with relatives then on to WDW on the 6th. We transfer to Universal on the 12th, then back to WDW on the 17th. We check out on the 24th to head back (if I can pull myself away).

Not sure about the times yet. Our neighbors are from New Jersey and they like to leave early in the AM or late at night to miss the NY traffic. We haven't looked to see where that will put us for DC traffic though (if we go that way). We have done this trip twice before so you'd think we'd have it down but we went different ways each time.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #1342
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post

This totally sounds like us!

Glad it was a safe trip.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #1343
aarmando20
Mouseketeer

Hi All,

We leave tomorrow night at 8:00 for our 5th drive down to the world. We take 95 the whole way down. We are hoping to get there for noon on Thursday and start the adventure.

June 1993 - CBR, June 1996 - POR, October 2004 - Off Site MNSSHP, June 2005 - ASMO, June 2006 - ASMO, June 2007 - Swan/ASMO, December 2007 - Swan MVMCP, June 2008 - Swan, June 2009 - Off Site at VillaDirect, 2010 stayed off site at Windsor Palms for the summer, June 2011 Villa Direct, July 2012 Villa Direct, July 2013 Villa Direct, December 2013 Windsor Palms
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1344
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarmando20 View Post
Hi All,

We leave tomorrow night at 8:00 for our 5th drive down to the world. We take 95 the whole way down. We are hoping to get there for noon on Thursday and start the adventure.
Safe travels!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #1345
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

AArmando have a great and safe trip!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #1346
MR_B
Earning My Ears

We'll be doing the drive from Boston over thanksgiving this year.

The last time I did it was 10yrs ago. We went 95 the whole way. Is that still the best option?

We used to leave at 5:30 am sat. and stop in Rocky Mount. NC as it was a good halfway point. This year I would like to leave at 2am and try to make it farther the first day. What are good towns to stay in (hotels with pools and food nearby) south of rocky mount? And north for the return.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #1347
dantedisney
Earning My Ears

Heading down Friday next week!

We're driving down next week from MA taking the western route again. We've been going yearly now for the past 3 years and this trip makes it 4. Initially thought of driving straight through but decided on staying the night in Brunswick, GA.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #1348
pit303
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_B View Post
We'll be doing the drive from Boston over thanksgiving this year.

The last time I did it was 10yrs ago. We went 95 the whole way. Is that still the best option?

We used to leave at 5:30 am sat. and stop in Rocky Mount. NC as it was a good halfway point. This year I would like to leave at 2am and try to make it farther the first day. What are good towns to stay in (hotels with pools and food nearby) south of rocky mount? And north for the return.

Thanks
We will be doing the drive from south of Philadelphia the Friday before Thanksgiving. I want to stop on the way down and back but right now I am getting out voted!! We will see as we get closer!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #1349
julluvsdisney
"A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit303 View Post
We will be doing the drive from south of Philadelphia the Friday before Thanksgiving. I want to stop on the way down and back but right now I am getting out voted!! We will see as we get closer!

That was our plan last july but we made such awesome time that we just pushed through! We left boston at 830pm and made it to disney at 5pm the next day only hit traffic in COnn due to construction and NYC cause its NYC lol. But your lucky your south! Good luck! Safe travels!!!

Mouseketeers-ME, DH, DS, DS
WDW TRIPS*1994 ASMu* 2007 Disneymoon POFQ* 2009 POP*2010 POP*2011 POP* 2012 POR* 2013 POR*2014 POR RR*2014 POFQ *
Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #1350
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julluvsdisney View Post
That was our plan last july but we made such awesome time that we just pushed through! We left boston at 830pm and made it to disney at 5pm the next day only hit traffic in COnn due to construction and NYC cause its NYC lol. But your lucky your south! Good luck! Safe travels!!!
Has anyone else "pushed through"? We are leaving Sat. Aug 25th from Western NY (Tonawanda in case anyone is interested) and my plan is to spend the night around Savannah and arrive at WDW sometime in the afternoon on Sunday the 26th and check into ASMo. My DH however thinks we should try to drive straight through and spend saturday night outside of the world, and we will be right there Sunday to get started on our trip.

Who has (other than Julluvsdisney) had plans to stop, but then decided to continue on to Orlando? Our trip is approx 1220 miles.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: