Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #1291
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Only delay on our trip was Chattanooga which we hit at about 5:00 p.m. on the way down. Looked like 2 out of every 3 vehicles on the road was an 18-wheeler, and there is a NASTY steep hill heading East out of the city just before I24 ends that just killed all the trucks and it backed up like crazy. We crawled for 45-60 minutes. Also a 55-60 MPH stretch on I75 in GA from marker 127-102, but no biggy. Flew through STL, Nashville, & Atlanta in both directions
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #1292
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Hi Neighbor, We are PV. Thanks for the heads up on the road work. I hope it won't slow us down to much.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #1293
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvcville

We been DVC members and have always hopped on a plane but this year we are driving from western Montgomery county PA. We have 3 kiddies 11, 9 & 5. We are not to sure how long the kids will last on such a long ride. Our plan is to leave some where between 9pm -11pm on a Monday and hopefully they will sleep for a good part of the drive. We want to get the bulk of the driving done the first day, hopefully into Fl. My question is has any one travel recently down I95 and if there is any overnight construction that we might run into.

18 Days till we launch our journey for The Villas @ Disney’s Wilderness Lodge!

HI Neighbors Are you Spring-Ford or Perk Valley? I have an 11 yo in SF, just wondering if we knew you!

There is a lot of construction in Washington DC that they do overnight. Usually Georgia too.

Don't forget to stop at the Florida Welcome Center on your way for the free OJ!
Hi Neighbor , We are PV. Thanks for the heads up on the road work. I hope it doesn't slow us down to much.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #1294
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
HI Neighbors Are you Spring-Ford or Perk Valley? I have an 11 yo in SF, just wondering if we knew you!

There is a lot of construction in Washington DC that they do overnight. Usually Georgia too.

Don't forget to stop at the Florida Welcome Center on your way for the free OJ!
He Neighbor, We are PV. Thanks for the heads up on the road work. I hope it doesn’t slow us down to much. How many times have you driven to WDW? How long does it take you? Do you drive straight through or do you have someplace you stop for the night?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #1295
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Aaagghhh! We leave 3 a.m. Saturday and I'm not done packing!!!

DH said as long as I have sunblock and bathing suits we're all set.

Guess I should go finish packing. Got the recall work and an oil change done on the car today. Went to the car wash yesterday and just need to vacuum the back seat (the dealer vacuumed the front only?).
Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #1296
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcville View Post
He Neighbor, We are PV. Thanks for the heads up on the road work. I hope it doesn’t slow us down to much. How many times have you driven to WDW? How long does it take you? Do you drive straight through or do you have someplace you stop for the night?
Hi there! We have driven around a dozen times, 7 times since Jan 2009. In the beginning, we stopped in Florence SC, which is around halfway. We found we got bored just sitting at the hotel, so next time we decided to drive at least 12 hours, then stop. That takes us to Walterboro SC. Much better schedule, the second day driving is only 5 hours so there's still plenty of Disney day left.

In June 2011 we decided to drive straight through, so we left home around 4:00 am. Hit a TON of traffic in DC, sat for 2 1/2 hours to go around 9 miles. It was heartbreaking. But we still kept driving and checked in to WDW around 10:30 pm when we should have gotten there around 8. Driving home was okay, but pretty long.

January 2012 we tried the straight-through again. We happened to leave on the one snow day of the year, and spun out on 422 around Oaks where we hit a pole. Luckily we only dented the front passenger door and under it so we could still go on the trip. Lost about 2-3 hours on that trip because we could only go around 25 mph until we got out of the snow area.

So, we talked about it and we are going back to stopping overnight. For the next trip, we're going to leave around 9 am on a Monday. That will put us in DC around lunchtime, so the traffic shouldn't be bad. We'll go to Walterboro, should get there around 10-11 since we'll stop for lunch and dinner. Take it easy instead of rushing. Then we'll get up by 7-8, hit the road and check in by 2 pm.

I would never recommend straight-through if you don't do a lot of road tripping. There are many folks on here who are pros at it and do it all the time. We tried it both ways and we prefer to do the overnight stop. We don't mind the driving but we hate that extra fatigue that comes with the last 4 or 5 hours, so we're not going to do it any more.

We love taking our time, finding nice local restaurants and enjoying the trip.

We have tried 202 to 95 and Blue Route to 95. We found the Blue Route is easier, as long as you're not driving during any sort of traffic/rush hour time. 202 gets annoying after a while with too many lights in southern PA into Wilmington.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #1297
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Today is the day leaving at Noon! I'll try to post some road updates if there is nothing to report long the 81 77 26 95 route! We hope to make it to NC today. We'll see how that goes. Dh had to be at work this m and I drove him in at 4:30! Wish us luck!

4 kids 1600 miles!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1298
Buckeye Bob
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Today is the day leaving at Noon! I'll try to post some road updates if there is nothing to report long the 81 77 26 95 route! We hope to make it to NC today. We'll see how that goes. Dh had to be at work this m and I drove him in at 4:30! Wish us luck!

4 kids 1600 miles!
Good luck on your upcoming trip and thanks in advance for any updates you post along your route as we're taking a similar route from Cleveland, Ohio later this month (77, 26, 95, 4).

Have a safe trip!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #1299
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Quote:

4 kids 1600 miles!
Have fun!! We're going the same route tomorrow starting at 3 a.m.!! Maybe we'll see you there!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1300
nono
DIS Veteran

Go Java go!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #1301
java
I'm the mean wife

4 hours in and we are in Virginia! Only hit a small log jam near Harrisburg PA. There are signs for construction but we have not seen any ongoing( don't know if it's night time work or not) we are hoping to get to Charlotte to stop for the night.

So far so good, only one car sick slowdown so far.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #1302
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Quote:
4 hours in and we are in Virginia! Only hit a small log jam near Harrisburg PA. There are signs for construction but we have not seen any ongoing( don't know if it's night time work or not) we are hoping to get to Charlotte to stop for the night.

So far so good, only one car sick slowdown so far.
Hope your travels are going well.

I know you, I just can't place you! My memory is thinking we frequented the same threads years ago.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #1303
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

We left shoreline CT at 3:40 this morning. Stopped for gas once and then stopped at 3:30 for lunch/dinner right before the border of north and south Carolina. Now we're swimming in a pool in Rock Hill SC and are done driving for today.

Traffic wasn't bad except for some real slow downs in the mountains. There was a couple VERY long traffic jams on 77 north.

Also lots of trees down and a rest area or two closed on 81. Tree damage seemed to go all the way down through VA.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #1304
java
I'm the mean wife

Just back from dinner at Trexcafe!

Easy drive, only issue was on I4 no surprise. A brief back up that added maybe 20 minutes. Good luck to those still on the road.

The real fun has begun!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1305
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygirl17 View Post
Aaagghhh! We leave 3 a.m. Saturday and I'm not done packing!!!

DH said as long as I have sunblock and bathing suits we're all set.

Guess I should go finish packing. Got the recall work and an oil change done on the car today. Went to the car wash yesterday and just need to vacuum the back seat (the dealer vacuumed the front only?).

Last edited by dvcville; 07-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: