Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #1276
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
2,353 miles round trip ended this afternoon! Full report coming later
Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1277
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monymony3471 View Post
We are leaving at the stroke of midnight on 8/5. That will hopefully get us to Bryon GA from just north of Detroit by 6pm the latest.

Have to schedule some stops here and there, one being a nice breakfast around 7am.

I don't want a long day of driving the next day. I want to pull into Kissimmee no later than 2pm.

Please let the kids sleep all night driving, please let the kids sleep all night driving, please let the kids sleep all night driving.....
Hope the kids sleep

4 days Cleaned out the car, washed the insides of the windows and armoralled the dash/console. Just need to vacuum!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #1278
renchick
middle of nowhere

I’m planning on driving for the first time, starting Saturday morning. Chattanooga is almost exactly the half-way point, so I’m planning on spending the night there, making a two-day trip. However, I can’t seem to find anything reasonable ($70 for a Super 8 seems, well, excessive). I’ve encountered this on other road trip, stopping in Memphis – it appears that lodging establishments know they’ve got you trapped, and deals are hard to find. Is this the case in Chattanooga? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for lodging there?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #1279
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renchick View Post
I’m planning on driving for the first time, starting Saturday morning. Chattanooga is almost exactly the half-way point, so I’m planning on spending the night there, making a two-day trip. However, I can’t seem to find anything reasonable ($70 for a Super 8 seems, well, excessive). I’ve encountered this on other road trip, stopping in Memphis – it appears that lodging establishments know they’ve got you trapped, and deals are hard to find. Is this the case in Chattanooga? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for lodging there?
I don't know if it helps but I have noticed that TN hotels are always more expensive than GA hotels. If you could go a little further over the GA line you might find less expensive hotels. Also check the hotel coupon sites if you are willing to wait till that day to find a hotel. I have never had problems using them.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #1280
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygirl17 View Post
Hope the kids sleep

4 days Cleaned out the car, washed the insides of the windows and armoralled the dash/console. Just need to vacuum!
hopefully things will get back to normal this weekend but keep your eye on the weather chanel. the storm is moving faster than before but theres still alot of rain in n. florida. some interstates around jacks. are closed. a good friend of mine (disfed on the boards) lives near the ga , fl. line and he said its getting ugly.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1281
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Really hope that storm moves out to see and doesn't come up the coast. I really don't want to have to figure out alternate routes or drive through driving rain.

Last edited by Goofygirl17; 06-26-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #1282
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

ok for the I81 77 drivers- anyplace to stay along that route- I am thinking we would be ready to break for the night near the kick off to 77. The hotels are all over the place- we are a family of 6 so a suites hotel would be great but I would do 2 rooms if the price was right.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #1283
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

We are thinking of taking 95 thru NYC ( from w.mass) verses the nonsense route our GPS took us last year ( ended up in almost town traffic in NJ in the rain in the middle of the night..sucked)..any input?

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
Old 06-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #1284
poohmom715
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
ok for the I81 77 drivers- anyplace to stay along that route- I am thinking we would be ready to break for the night near the kick off to 77. The hotels are all over the place- we are a family of 6 so a suites hotel would be great but I would do 2 rooms if the price was right.
oops.

Last edited by poohmom715; 06-27-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #1285
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
We are thinking of taking 95 thru NYC ( from w.mass) verses the nonsense route our GPS took us last year ( ended up in almost town traffic in NJ in the rain in the middle of the night..sucked)..any input?
Well, if you go at off-hours, you may run into the GWB work that's supposedly going on until next year on the Bronx side. I am not in the area though, so I don't know how disruptive it is.

Alternately, you can take Rt. 84W/684S to Rt. 287. You would follow that across the Tappan Zee Bridge and then pick up the Garden State Parkway (Exit 14A!). You follow the GSP south to the NJ Turnpike and across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which puts you without a doubt on I-95 South. Just much further south than picking it up in the Bronx. (Also, just noting that the whole I-95 designation in NJ is well, messed up).

I've done this route so many times over the last 25 years, and there's a lot of alternates, but overall, in off-hours, it's a pretty good bet. I ran these directions from Holyoke, and the travel program I use is predicting a 20 hr. 42 min. ride with 15 min stops every 3 hours. So, leaving at 7 pm would get you there in one shot at 3:42 pm in a perfect travel world. Total mileage: 1277.

HTH
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #1286
dvcville
Earning My Ears

1st time driving.

We been DVC members and have always hopped on a plane but this year we are driving from western Montgomery county PA. We have 3 kiddies 11, 9 & 5. We are not to sure how long the kids will last on such a long ride. Our plan is to leave some where between 9pm -11pm on a Monday and hopefully they will sleep for a good part of the drive. We want to get the bulk of the driving done the first day, hopefully into Fl. My question is has any one travel recently down I95 and if there is any overnight construction that we might run into.

18 Days till we launch our journey for The Villas @ Disney’s Wilderness Lodge!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #1287
AuntRoeRoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcville View Post
We been DVC members and have always hopped on a plane but this year we are driving from western Montgomery county PA. We have 3 kiddies 11, 9 & 5. We are not to sure how long the kids will last on such a long ride. Our plan is to leave some where between 9pm -11pm on a Monday and hopefully they will sleep for a good part of the drive. We want to get the bulk of the driving done the first day, hopefully into Fl. My question is has any one travel recently down I95 and if there is any overnight construction that we might run into.

We just finished a 2000 mile round trip down I95 and did not notice any major construction. We did start out at 5:00 am and drove during the daylight hours, but we did not notice any signs about night time construction. We actually made it to Orlando in 14 hours, leaving at 5:00am on a Thursday morning. On the trip home, we left the AKL at 5:30 am and made it to Aston by 9:30pm. Traffic was really slow in VA and MD. Hope this helps!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #1288
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntRoeRoe View Post
We just finished a 2000 mile round trip down I95 and did not notice any major construction. We did start out at 5:00 am and drove during the daylight hours, but we did not notice any signs about night time construction. We actually made it to Orlando in 14 hours, leaving at 5:00am on a Thursday morning. On the trip home, we left the AKL at 5:30 am and made it to Aston by 9:30pm. Traffic was really slow in VA and MD. Hope this helps!

Thanks Roe, that’s good to hear. I hope our tip down is smooth sailing. You made it down there in good timing. We would be real happy to make it there and be able to get in a hotel off site before we check in the next day.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #1289
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Not sure where you are starting from but we like to get past Columbia and found that the Orangburg exit "St. Matthews Drive" off of I-26 had a lot of hotels and was easy off and on.

Oops, just re-read what you wrote and saw you want to stay close to 81 / 77 area. My answer won't help.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #1290
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcville View Post

HI Neighbors Are you Spring-Ford or Perk Valley? I have an 11 yo in SF, just wondering if we knew you!

There is a lot of construction in Washington DC that they do overnight. Usually Georgia too.

Don't forget to stop at the Florida Welcome Center on your way for the free OJ!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: